The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

monster 01-26-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 920284)
If you have loved ones in NYC, Connecticut or Rhode Island, send them Godspeed by Monday afternoon.

I don't even know what that means

that's funny, we were at a party last week and I was saying how out of all the American phrases, I particularly like Alphabetize over the British "sort into alphabetical order". So much more efficient. (And how the Americans need to use the word "Fortnight") one guy wanted to swap Alphabetized for "Godspeed" because he liked it. Don't think he really knew what it meant either. I never even realized it was uniquely British. But I don't use it.

monster 01-26-2015 08:04 PM

.... but I think it means something more along the lines of "have a safe journey"

glatt 01-26-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 920380)
We're in the (almost) no-snow zone. :(

Officially its "long duration light snow"

similar here. Looks like we have about an inch maybe?

Carruthers 01-26-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 920381)
....I never even realized it was uniquely British. But I don't use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 920382)
.... but I think it means something more along the lines of "have a safe journey"

There's a famous bit of archive audio from the launch of Friendship 7 (1962) where the NASA commentator says "Godspeed John Glenn".

classicman 01-26-2015 09:32 PM

We were supposed to get 12+" thenit changed and the grass isn't even covered. WTF? Its cold and windy. I wanted a foot of snow. This sucks.
My brothers and much of my extended family in southern CT are looking at 2 feet by tomorrow night. Eek!

monster 01-26-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 920390)
There's a famous bit of archive audio from the launch of Friendship 7 (1962) where the NASA commentator says "Godspeed John Glenn".

then Not British. *shrug* I just thought it was an odd phrase for this guy to pick up on, and here it is again.

Lamplighter 01-26-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 920398)
We were supposed to get 12+" then it changed and the grass isn't even covered. WTF?
Its cold and windy. I wanted a foot of snow. This sucks.
My brothers and much of my extended family in southern CT are looking at 2 feet by tomorrow night. Eek!

Classic, here's a link to a page in WonderMap that is the current "severe weather" conditions in Connecticut...
You can chose the city to get more specific conditions up to the more recent reports.

Carruthers 01-27-2015 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 920403)
then Not British. *shrug* I just thought it was an odd phrase for this guy to pick up on, and here it is again.

Found it. 7 seconds in.

Griff 01-27-2015 06:13 AM

Godspeed

The modern word godspeed derives from the expression God speed you on your way, which came about at a time when speed meant to prove successful or to prosper. That archaic sense of speed is long gone, but godspeed still means may you prosper on your way. It’s similar to good luck, though it’s often used in reference to people who have passed away. It’s also sometimes said to people, especially sailors, embarking on difficult journeys.

The term, which functions as both a noun and an interjection, is sometimes treated as two words, but the one-word godspeed is about five times as common in modern writing. Some publications always capitalize the g in godspeed, and some don’t.

http://grammarist.com/usage/godspeed/

This is interesting because it seems like I've seen it
misused in period movies.

Lamplighter 01-27-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

...Some publications always capitalize the g in godspeed, and some don’t...
I seem to remember that the "g" is not capitalized by some religious groups,
so as to steer clear of the commandment to not take the Lord's name in vain.

DanaC 01-27-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 920420)

This is interesting because it seems like I've seen it
misused in period movies.

In what way?

classicman 01-27-2015 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 920407)
Classic, here's a link to a page in WonderMap that is the current "severe weather" conditions in Connecticut...
You can chose the city to get more specific conditions up to the more recent reports.

Thanks. I've used that I think. Its still more fun to talk to my brother directly. :right:.

And here is my street RFN ...Total storm fail. I think we got ... not even an inch.

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2015 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cape Cod, MA, this morning.

Undertoad 01-27-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 920316)
The other week my mum's neighbour's window shattered because of the difference between the cold outside and the warm inside. Apparently this can happen with double glazing. Who knew?

At first I thought, huh. But then I thought, huh. It must be that the metal surrounding the window contracts, with the cold, in some way that puts pressure on the glass. Like if the putty gets too firm in the cold?

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2015 10:12 AM

I'd guess the pane had a scratch, or an edge chip when it was assembled, making it weak enough to shatter when the frame stressed it.