The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Clip, what is it? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12142)

Flint 10-25-2006 11:46 AM

Maybe a clear definition of what is a road (for cars) and what is a sidewalk (for people) is a crazy idea?

bmw55 10-25-2006 11:51 AM

No belive me that maybe should be applied to society :blush:

Shawnee123 10-25-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Yeah, but buses drive through there too, and they can do an even better number on the pedestrians.

I don't see what all the arguing is about? Who doesn't hate pedestrians? Anyone who would abuse a child that way is just plain sick, and should be run over. We need tougher laws to protect our children against these pedestrians. We might have prevented the Amish school shooting. There could be less kidnappings by pedestrians who have no access to other children!

Happy Monkey 10-25-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Maybe a clear definition of what is a road (for cars) and what is a sidewalk (for people) is a crazy idea?

Where have you been all your life that you are so shocked by a road that isn't always open to all traffic? I see roads all the time with posts sticking out that are held in place with padlocks. I see roads with gates drawn across them, where an authorized driver can open the gate, drive through, then close the gate, while a pedestrian can just walk around it. This is the same thing, but automatic.

Happy Monkey 10-25-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Yeah, but buses drive through there too, and they can do an even better number on the pedestrians.

Presumably the bus driver isn't the type to try to trick the barricade by driving through real fast.

Sundae 10-25-2006 12:10 PM

Vans need to deliver to retail locations. When the shops are closed there are few if any pedestrians, therefore access is allowed between set times.

Buses SERVE pedestrians. Therefore allowing buses in pedestrian areas means people don't have to walk as far with their bags of shopping.

Also buses are dirty great big vehicles that accelerate slowly. If you don't see/ hear a bus coming the chances are someone else will steer you out of the way.

Why the problem with pedestrianised areas? It keeps city centres alive for a start, rather than have all the big shops move out to retail parks. Old people and children feel safer shopping and the area is generally more relaxed. People don't crowd the pavements, but spread out and enjoy the walking experience.

Surely this can't just be a European thing?

Flint 10-25-2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Where have you been all your life that you are so shocked by a road that isn't always open to all traffic?

Arlington, Texas. We don't drive on the sidewalk, or walk in the middle of the road.

Flint 10-25-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl

In Texas, if you're not burning gasoline, you're not getting anywhere.

Phase 10-25-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

In Texas, if you're not burning gasoline, you're not getting anywhere.

Same goes for Tennessee.

glatt 10-25-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Why the problem with pedestrianised areas? It keeps city centres alive for a start, rather than have all the big shops move out to retail parks. Old people and children feel safer shopping and the area is generally more relaxed. People don't crowd the pavements, but spread out and enjoy the walking experience.

It's not really an American thing. Sure, there are a few places here and there, but it's mostly in Europe that I've seen them. And I think they are awesome. I love pedestrian only zones. I just think a sign or two and a cop handing out tickets is a better approach than barricades that give concussions.

Happy Monkey 10-25-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Arlington, Texas. We don't drive on the sidewalk, or walk in the middle of the road.

I find it hard to believe that in all of Arlington, TX, there isn't a road that has some sort of roadblock preventing unauthorized vehicles from using it. Aren't there any public parks where park service or city maintenance people can drive on the paths?

Flint 10-25-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Aren't there any public parks where park service or city maintenance people can drive on the paths?

Perhaps, but the funny thing is, there wouldn't be any reason for people to sneak their cars through - if the road doesn't go anywhere.
A service path at a park is neither a public road during certain hours, nor a death trap during others, nor a sidewalk for foot traffic.

Happy Monkey 10-25-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Perhaps, but the funny thing is, there wouldn't be any reason for people to sneak their cars through - if the road doesn't go anywhere.

Then they wouldn't bother putting up a barrier.
Quote:

A service path at a park is neither a public road during certain hours, nor a death trap during others, nor a sidewalk for foot traffic.
Well, it often is a sidewalk for foot traffic that is also wide enough for an authorized vehicle to drive on. And if someone tries to drive through the roadblock when it is closed, and finds it sturdier than their vehicle, you could call it a deathtrap if you were so inclined. Being open to public traffic at certain times may be uncommon, but certainly not unheard of.

Flint 10-25-2006 01:25 PM

I'm sticking with this:

Quote:

...there must be a better way...

Flint 10-25-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Then they wouldn't bother putting up a barrier.

Who, or what, are you arguing with: your own posts, or reality itself?