The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   College (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15263)

Ibby 09-05-2007 06:18 PM

Flint, what you're saying, in essence, if you'll forgive an extreme answer, that a jew in 1942 shouldnt have a problem moving to Germany, because, hey, not all Nazis are anti-semitic, and just because it's state policy that you should die, and the majority of people either agree or turn a blind eye, you could still probably find people who will accept you.

I'm not gonna live in the south, end of story. Sorry guys. Not going to convince me. I'm done living in a conservative society.

Flint 09-05-2007 06:22 PM

Bigot.

xoxoxoBruce 09-05-2007 06:43 PM

Why go to a college that's sure to reinforce your high school opinions?

Clodfobble 09-05-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
I'm not gonna live in the south, end of story. Sorry guys. Not going to convince me. I'm done living in a conservative society.

That's the joke, Ibram. You're not done living in a conservative society. But we don't have to convince you. You'll live in the north once you get out of college, and discover on your own that there are plenty of conservatives there too.

Griff 09-05-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 382217)
Why go to a college that's sure to reinforce your high school opinions?

No problem really, I give two years to recognize another form of totalitarian society. In the mean time, he's in a town where he doesn't stick out too much. Then he transfers, joins the ROTC, goes active, gets assigned to the Joint Chiefs...:)

Ibby 09-05-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 382225)
That's the joke, Ibram. You're not done living in a conservative society. But we don't have to convince you. You'll live in the north once you get out of college, and discover on your own that there are plenty of conservatives there too.

So by that logic, there's no such thing as a liberal society in america?

That's BS. Marlboro already looks just plain perfect.

I don't get you guys' argument. There are some liberals down south, so its not a conservative society, and I'd love it there... and there are some conservatives in Vermont, so it is a conservative society, so I would hate it there?
I know where I like to be. I don't like to be in the south. It's a great place but I could never, ever live there. Just going back for a month to visit family makes me jumpy, I really do hate it there. The entire experience is grating, the religious scolding, the stares, the glares, the homophobia from every angle. I have been to the south at least twice a year every year since I was born, I lived there for four months, I know the south.
I know the south, and I know I dont want to live there.
So get the fuck off my back.

9th Engineer 09-05-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

if you'll forgive an extreme answer, that a jew in 1942 shouldnt have a problem moving to Germany, because, hey, not all Nazis are anti-semitic, and just because it's state policy that you should die, and the majority of people either agree or turn a blind eye,
Still Godwin'd. :headshake

Btw, how exactly are people picking your sexual preference off just by sight? I'm assuming you aren't bringing a boyfriend down for the trip...

monster 09-05-2007 09:04 PM

I thought sexual no-preference was the issue?

monster 09-05-2007 09:10 PM

Srsly, Ib, now you like the look of Marlboro (allthat $$ and they couldn't afford the -ugh to stop it sounding like a brand of fags ....oh wait.....)

anyhoo, now use that as a search tool.

Ibby 09-05-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9th Engineer (Post 382286)
Still Godwin'd. :headshake

Btw, how exactly are people picking your sexual preference off just by sight? I'm assuming you aren't bringing a boyfriend down for the trip...

Well no, but the rainbows, tight jeans, long hair, and generally fairly feminine persona either tips them off that I'm a dayum derty faggot or a sissy little girly-boy.

Clodfobble 09-05-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
I don't get you guys' argument. There are some liberals down south, so its not a conservative society, and I'd love it there... and there are some conservatives in Vermont, so it is a conservative society, so I would hate it there?

No no, I'm saying you're not going to love or hate either geographical place. 100% of your college experience is the other students, the quality of your professors, the coursework you choose... basically anything outside a one-mile radius from the campus will be completely irrelevant to you for four-plus years. If you end up going to Marlboro I'm sure you will really like it there. But it will be because it's Marlboro, not because it's in the state of Vermont.

Flint 09-05-2007 11:57 PM

strike period add comma add dumbass

freshnesschronic 09-06-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 382344)
No no, I'm saying you're not going to love or hate either geographical place. 100% of your college experience is the other students, the quality of your professors, the coursework you choose... basically anything outside a one-mile radius from the campus will be completely irrelevant to you for four-plus years. If you end up going to Marlboro I'm sure you will really like it there. But it will be because it's Marlboro, not because it's in the state of Vermont.

Well said, agreed completely. If I went to NYU it would be a great experience (I would imagine) not because I hate riding the subway but because of everything Clodfobble said above!

queequeger 09-06-2007 12:17 AM

I'm going to say the opposite, actually. All of my college experience that I consider important was from the surrounding community, not just the school itself. Maybe that's just me.

Clodfobble 09-06-2007 12:21 AM

What college did you go to?