The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I joined the Gym yesterday (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26879)

Gravdigr 04-16-2012 10:38 AM

Wow, four posts in 3 years!

Settle down there, motormouth.

:p:

glatt 04-16-2012 11:15 AM

Hi, LabRat!

*waves*

limey 04-16-2012 11:43 AM

LABRAT!!!!!!!! Hello.

fargon 04-16-2012 02:47 PM

LABRAT we missed you!!!

BigV 04-16-2012 11:46 PM

Wow, hiya LabRat, great to see you around again. Welcome back!

monster 04-17-2012 02:58 PM

and unhijack? Back to Zumba today -between two 2-hour weeding gigs.....

LabRat 04-18-2012 12:18 PM

Sorry, not trying to hijack just help. :D
Monster, (or anyone) here is a great video for core strength. I used it after the kid was born, and still use it today, 9 years later! I love it. It has two 20 minute sessions. The first time I did it, I could barely do most of the moves of the first session alone for the length of time that she did. The next day I could hardly breathe I was so sore. Worth every penny!

monster 05-04-2012 10:24 PM

still working at it, very busy with other shit now, but paying way too much for a gym and the reward of the whirpool spa each visit is keeping me going at least twice a week. Still doing the swimming in 300y setts and i've managed to speed up significantly. This is good because I was getting bored with just getting in and hammering out a mile. Mostly i've only swum half miles recently, but after doing a class or weight training.

There's a summer fitness challenge going on right now, where you get a "bingo card" with 25 different things to do and can cross off one square a day (if you do that thing on that day). If you get 10 squares in the month you get entered into prize-drawings. I plan to use this to jog me into expanding/changing my repertoire and making effort to get there more often. I'll easily go 10 days, but wouldn't necessarily manage to cross off 10 different squares if I didn't change it up a bit.

limey 05-05-2012 05:17 AM

I've just started using an iPod shuffle in a waterproof box to listen to audiobooks as I swim ... So now I couldn't tell you how many lengths I've swum, but how many chapters! (Currently listening to Cannery Row, quite a watery book ...)

LabRat 05-07-2012 10:08 AM

I think they make a little thing that can hang down in the water to count laps. I seem to always lose track of how many laps I've swum, so I just wear my watch and start the chronograph when I start swimming a longer set. I know I swim an average of 50 yards/min so I periodically check it to see where I am at. It works well, and it's interesting to see that some days when I feel fast, I'm still slow, or when I fell crappy, I'm actually not as slow as I thought.

This weekend I swam a mile straight for the first time ever. I was really pumped!! Poor Red heard about it all weekend, LOL. I try to get an average of 2000 yards per session, but that's including warmups, drills, various sets and a cool down. My goal was 20 laps straight, but I was feeling really good at that point and decided to try for 25, then 30, then 35.

Woot!!

Monster, when I was in college, the University Wellness center ran a program that you kept track of how many yards you swam, and the goal was to swim to Cuba during the semester. My workout buddy and I made the 90 miles, and earned a T-shirt. It was incredibly motivating, especially because we swam in the mornings, usually when the swim team was practicing. Those guys could kick faster than I could swim at that time. Seriously. :eek:

monster 05-07-2012 10:53 AM

I have no problem counting laps -can't stop myself and no problem with motivation to swim. Just time constraints. WTG on your mile, I plan to swim one this aftenoon, once I've finished my paperwork.

monster 05-08-2012 10:14 PM

Only managed the half mile yesterday due to time constraints, but today I did the full mile, non-stop -not even to defog goggles- half breast, half freee in 42 minutes. am pleased. Coulda kept going for a long time, I think, so maybe need to swim faster next time..... or put in more freestyle

limey 05-09-2012 08:00 AM

Well done you! I did abt 3/4 mile and 7 chapters yesterday! Swam all through the party Mac and the boys threw for Doc at Western Marine Supplies ....

monster 05-09-2012 08:13 AM

Oh Randy Wayne White! I loved that series.

Off to try a new class RFN

bbro 08-07-2012 07:56 PM

Resurrecting this thread, because, well, I am on a 2 week streak of going to the gym Mon-Fri and working out. This, sadly, is the longest streak I have had. According to my tracking, I am burning about 1900 calories a week. Which means I get to eat more than I normally would while trying to lose weight. The first week, I lost four pounds. This past week, only .2 - I kind of blame Mother Nature and water weight.

I also haven't had a cigarette or a drink in that time. Not that I think I have a major problem, but it was bordering on it. I also put myself on a strict budget to try and pay off credit cards, so there is no money for going out. I tell you what, though - I am bored as crap. The one good thing about the gym is I am usually tired by 930/10 at night, so the temptation isn't too bad. But the weekends SUUUUUCK - lol

Last few weeks in a nutshell :)