The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Impeding changes to our Health Care system (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16747)

TheMercenary 07-20-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop (Post 582647)
I didn't say state taxes didn't matter, I said they had nothing to do with the federal government or with federal taxes. If a state govt. raises taxes to balance their budget, that is a STATE ISSUE, and the federal government has no say in the matter, as far as I now. So you can't blame that on Obama. New York has apparently raised all kinds of taxes on their citizens, and other states probably are not far behind.

So wait, you are giving Obama a pass because NY state already has high taxes, and now that Obama is raising them that is not Obama's (Demoncrats) problem? WTF? Higher taxes is higher taxes for everyone, those in high tax states will be penalized more as more of their income goes to pay for those who don't. That is BS.

sugarpop 07-20-2009 12:18 PM

We can only hope...

TheMercenary 07-20-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 582651)
...but we'll have to wait until the final version comes out of the joint committee.

That much is certainly true.

sugarpop 07-20-2009 12:52 PM

I'm not really happy the insurance industry is having so much influence on the bill. Or big pharma.

Clodfobble 07-20-2009 03:29 PM

Had a funny conversation with my dad today. For the last 6 months he's taken every opportunity to turn the most tenuous of unrelated subjects into "well, if you think X is bad, just wait until the government is running your healthcare."

I generally don't rise to the bait, because he's my father and I know it's pointless. But today, the topic meandered into how he is self-employed and chooses not to have medical insurance at all, and I pointed out that there are people who don't have that option because they have a chronic medical condition which is by definition more expensive than any plan could ever be, and he said, "Exactly, and the government thinks they're going to make me pay for it! I'm going to have to pay for the other people--"
"Yes, that's what insurance is, Dad."
"--like people with AIDS, there's an expensive disease, their medication costs $4000 a month, can you even imagine it? That's what they want me to pay for!"
"Well, yes, I can imagine it, Dad. That's about what ABA therapy costs."
"What? You're not paying that much, are you?"
"No, because we can't afford it." (Technically, our insurance did just start covering it, and our kid isn't a good candidate for it anyway, but that's not the point and I didn't mention that to him. :)) "I was just pointing out, the government doesn't just want to help the guy with AIDS, they want to help your grandson get therapy, too."
"Well..." [abrupt change of topic.]

Flint 07-20-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the country.
--Robert Duvall in The Handmaid's Tale

TheMercenary 07-21-2009 05:39 PM

TheMercenary 07-21-2009 05:43 PM

Ok, this is rich. Who does he think is going to do the work and does he think they are going to work for free? :lol:

Quote:

Budget chief: Docs fees not paid for in Obama bill

Jul 21 04:14 PM US/Eastern
By DAVID ESPO
AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) - A senior administration official says billions of dollars to raise fees for doctors treating Medicare patients are not covered by President Barack Obama's pledge to pay for health care legislation.
Budget Director Peter Orszag said Tuesday that's because the administration always assumed the money would be spent to prevent a cut of more than 20 percent in doctor fees.

The Congressional Budget Office said last Friday the higher payments cost $245 billion over 10 years. It said including the money in the overall bill would result in deficits totaling $239 billion.

On Friday, a few hours earlier, the president declared: "I've said that health-insurance reform cannot add to our deficit over the next decade. And I mean it."
Ok, now it is becoming worisome that this guy has no frigging clue about what he is doing with health care....

TheMercenary 07-21-2009 07:33 PM

Maybe everyone is not so happy...

Cardin Town Hall Meeting On Health Care Gets Angry

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...?storyid=88729

Griff 07-22-2009 05:32 AM

Matt Miller in the NYT-
An alternative strategy for Congress would be the new “fitness club” model offered by some doctors, in which members pay $65 a month for same-day or next-day access to primary care services. This would involve no insurance companies, so it would save administrative expenses.

We could then pair one of these primary care plans with high-deductible insurance coverage for catastrophic care, but limit total annual out-of-pocket payments to, say, 15 percent of family income. For a member of Congress whose family had no other income, that limit would be $26,000. If this kind of plan were extended to other Americans, a family earning $25,000 a year would have a limit of $3,750.

This kind of hybrid plan would honor the values of both parties even as it cut the cost of covering each politician by perhaps one-third. It would give members the incentive to shop for less expensive health services, thus encouraging doctors and other providers to compete to offer better value. At the same time, members would know they are protected in the event of a costly illness. Those who wanted greater coverage could pay for it out of their own pocket.

This is interesting stuff and a damn site simpler than many of the ideas being floated.

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 09:39 AM

An interesting opinion piece in the local paper.

Quote:

Sawyer: Canadians visit Maine for care
W. Tom Sawyer Jr. | Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 12:30 am
Contextual linking provided by Topix As a former Maine state senator, former mayor of Bangor, a small business owner who provided health insurance for our employees and their families, a past board member of Maine Blue Cross & Blue Shield, and a current corporator for Eastern Maine Medical Center, I've spent a lot of time discussing health care and government's role in its delivery.

As Congress debates implementing a "public option," I can't help but wonder where Americans will go.

In Maine, our health care facilities are frequented by many Canadians who cross the border to access our responsive and more advanced health care delivery system.

Consider a few statistics:

-- The breast cancer mortality rate in Canada is 9 percent higher than in America.

-- The prostate cancer mortality rate is 184 percent higher.

-- The colon cancer mortality among men is about 10 percent higher.

Despite promises, the truth is that preventative medicine suffers under socialized medicine. For example, nine in 10 middle-aged American women like my wife, two adult daughters and my mother have all had a mammogram, compared to fewer than three-quarters of Canadians.

Nearly all American women have had a pap smear compared to only one in six Canadians. Nearly one-third of all Americans have had colonoscopies compared to fewer than one in 20 in Canada.

While the prep drink the night before is awful, my three procedures since turning 50 have helped keep me well and alive. Thanks to annual testing, early detection and timely treatment, my 88-year-old father, two uncles and best friend all remain prostate cancer survivors.

Waiting time also increases under socialized medicine due to Rationing. Currently, 827,000 people are waiting for some kind of medical procedure in Canada. It would appear Canadians enjoy greater "access" than Americans - "access to a waiting list" that can take months of utter terror awaiting the actual medical procedure.

I was able to detect, biopsy and have surgically removed a cancerous facial melanoma in only four months seeing physicians in Maine and Georgia last winter.

Americans also have better access to new technologies than patients in Canada. An overwhelming majority of American physicians identified CT scans and MRI's as the most important medical innovations for improving patient care during the previous decade. The U.S. has 34 CT scanners per every million Americans compared to only 12 scanners in Canada and 27 MRI machines per million compared to six machines across the border.

I understand Bangor has more MRI machines than the entire province of New Brunswick, our Canadian neighbor.

If Canadians are forced across the border to seek the quality care they need to treat often preventable diseases, where would Americans go if we are stuck with socialized medicine? Mexico? I don't think so.

Most of my Maine neighbors oppose a Canadian-style, nationalized health care system. Once all Americans have a better opportunity to fairly compare the pros and cons, I expect we'll all want to avoid painfully long waits for medical procedures, lack of access to tests and equipment, and having some bureaucrat "solve" our medical needs.

Our current system is expensive and demands strategic changes to high drug costs for instance, but it's the best system in the world.

I urge Congress to take a long, hard, look at Canadian and European health care systems before making any substantial changes to our existing world class system. The law of untended consequences, based on my own experience with public policy, is too great a threat.

W. Tom Sawyer Jr. lives in Richmond Hill during the winter and in Maine during the summer.
http://savannahnow.com/node/754347

Shawnee123 07-22-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

The prostate cancer mortality rate is 184 percent higher.
That's just because Canadian men won't let anyone mess around down there. They're proud like that. :lol:

eta: or, it could be a thousand other contributing factors as alluded to in my joking point.

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 09:50 AM

you crazy. :p

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 02:59 PM

The Obama administration is not looking out for you, but they are looking out for the drug companies as they change health care.

Quote:

PhRMA, which represents the nation's drug companies, said it had taken part in two meetings with senior White House officials in the Roosevelt Room. Participants, according to Tauzin, included White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, along with the CEOs of some major drug companies. Both meetings were closed to the public.

In an interview, Tauzin said most of the "real negotiations" took place with the Senate Finance Committee. At its meetings with the White House, the drug industry reported on progress made with the Senate and got a briefing from Obama officials "about how they saw" healthcare reform unfolding, Tauzin said.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7434392.story

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 03:30 PM

John defines this perfectly.

Quote:

July 22, 2009
Arrogance
By John Stossel

It's crazy for a group of mere mortals to try to design 15 percent of the U.S. economy. It's even crazier to do it by August.

Yet that is what some members of Congress presume to do. They intend, as the New York Times puts it, "to reinvent the nation's health care system".

Let that sink in. A handful of people who probably never even ran a small business actually think they can reinvent the health care system.

Politicians and bureaucrats clearly have no idea how complicated markets are. Every day people make countless tradeoffs, in all areas of life, based on subjective value judgments and personal information as they delicately balance their interests, needs and wants. Who is in a better position than they to tailor those choices to best serve their purposes? Yet the politicians believe they can plan the medical market the way you plan a birthday party.

Leave aside how much power the state would have to exercise over us to run the medical system. Suffice it say that if government attempts to control our total medical spending, sooner or later, it will have to control us.

Also leave aside the inevitable huge cost of any such program. The administration estimates $1.5 trillion over 10 years with no increase in the deficit. But no one should take that seriously. When it comes to projecting future costs, these guys may as well be reading chicken entrails. In 1965, hospitalization coverage under Medicare was projected to cost $9 billion by 1990. The actual price tag was $66 billion.

The sober Congressional Budget Office debunked the reformers' cost projections. Trust us, Obama says. "At the end of the day, we'll have significant cost controls," presidential adviser David Axelrod said. Give me a break.

Now focus on the spectacle of that handful of men and women daring to think they can design the medical marketplace. They would empower an even smaller group to determine -- for millions of diverse Americans -- which medical treatments are worthy and at what price.

How do these arrogant, presumptuous politicians believe they can know enough to plan for the rest of us? Who do they think they are? Under cover of helping uninsured people get medical care, they live out their megalomaniacal social-engineering fantasies -- putting our physical and economic health at risk in the process.

Will the American people say "Enough!"?
continues:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...nce_97561.html

Happy Monkey 07-22-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Will the American people say "Enough!"?
We did. That's why we're reforming the system.

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 583170)
We did. That's why we're reforming the system.

:lol2: yea, you keep believing that...

Reform like having secret meetings with the wolf guarding the hen house?

TheMercenary 07-22-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

It didn't help the White House when the Congressional Budget Office last week said the bills moving through Congress would add to the nation's long-term costs, not reduce them. Obama has been emphatic that he will not sign a bill that adds to the government's deficit.

Meanwhile, unemployment is at 9.5 percent and rising.

Talk of Obama inheriting an economic mess from George W. Bush is fading, and the American public is now grading the new president. His approval rating on handling the economy has been slipping as impatience grows.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama

Happy Monkey 07-23-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 583216)
Reform like having secret meetings with the wolf guarding the hen house?

Secret meetings

Spexxvet 07-23-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 583342)

I never saw anything like that for Cheney's meetings with the energy industry.:headshake

Shawnee123 07-23-2009 10:35 AM

We didn't believe in reform back then. :lol:

Griff 07-23-2009 01:27 PM

Obama is going to end up with a "meet the new boss" problem. He needs to be better than the previous criminals.

Democracy Now!

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, didn’t the President actually make a big issue of this during his campaign, actually saying—I think it was on his website even, his campaign website—that the White House is the people’s house and the people have a right to know who visits?

MELANIE SLOAN: Yes, he did. And, in fact, transparency has been sort of a totem of this administration, at least that’s what they claimed. But then we’re finding the actual transparency is a little disappointing.

And, of course, they’re release these names last night, because they want to avoid the distraction at the President’s press conference on healthcare.

But we have another Freedom of Information Act request and a lawsuit outstanding for the information regarding coal executives’ visits to the White House. And the White House has not responded to that.

Also, there is another case—two cases that we have before the Court of Appeals regarding Secret Service visitor records. These cases were started under the Bush administration for visits by Christian conservative leaders to the White House and also by a lobbyist named Stephen Payne. Courts previously held that the Secret Service had to provide that information. That case is going up on appeal, and so far the Obama administration is taking the exact same position that the Bush administration took, claming these records are presidential records, not federal records, and therefore not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

TheMercenary 07-23-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 583342)

Fail. In a big way...

Quote:

CREW said in a statement that Craig's letter "in no way" fulfills the group's request, which was for the visitor logs themselves.

"Releasing some records because it is politically expedient to do so is not transparency," the group said.

Urbane Guerrilla 07-24-2009 07:45 PM

And so, the Democrats continue to demonstrate why sensible guys like me don't vote for Democrats. To be continued... no end in sight...

Redux 07-24-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 583753)
And so, the Democrats continue to demonstrate why sensible guys like me don't vote for Democrats. To be continued... no end in sight...

On the issue of transparency:
On the release of the names of participants in WH meetngs, Obama released the names w/o stalling until a court order...a reversal of Bush policy. While I would have hoped for full compliance with the FOIA request, there are issues of executive privilege regarding WH documents that deserve further court review...releasing names is not one of those issues.

On the issue of FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) requests in general, the Obama directive is a reversal of the Bush directive....with a presumption of releasing information (unless there are serious and not contrived national security issues), rather than withholding information.

On the issue of signing statements, the Obama directives identifies the limited circumstances when such statements will be used...another reversal of the Bush policy. Bush used signing statements to circumvent enacted legislative intent more than twice all previous presidents combined.

On Congressional transparency, the Democratic ethics/lobbyng/earmark reform enacted when they assumed the majority goes farther than anything enacted by the previous Republican majority. I would like to have seen stronger reform, but in comparison to pre-2007, it is a vast improvement.

Most recently, Pelosi's directive for all House members to post all staff and office -related expenses on-line was an action the previous Speaker refused to implement.
While all the above may not go far enough for some (including me), in every case, there is greater transparency in both the executive branch and the legislature than the previous Republican president and Congress...an indisputable fact.

UG....I'm curious why you think that is bad or why sensible people should not support such greater transparency in government?

added:

UG...I forgot the DOJ issues and your laughable attempt to rebut. Official findings in four or five cases of illegal, improper or unethical acts by the Bush DOJ....and the best you could come up with in your last best response was books by Rush Limbaugh's brother and Brent Bozell, with unattributed allegations and the standard partisan gibberish?

TheMercenary 07-25-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

A trial lawyer power grab that may unleash a flood of Medicare lawsuits.

Just before the House leadership's 794-page health care reform bill went to a Ways & Means markup last Thursday, a remarkable provision was slipped in that amounts to one of the more audacious and far-reaching trial lawyer power grabs seen on Capitol Hill in a while. Republicans managed to fend it off for the moment--but don't be surprised if it shows up again down the road in some form.

The provision would have drastically widened the scope of lawsuits against what are known as Medicare third-party defendants. In the simplest scenario, Medicare has paid the bills of someone injured in, say, a car accident, and then learns that the beneficiary has successfully sued and obtained damages from the other driver. Sometimes at this point Medicare (i.e., the government) demands that the beneficiary hand over some or all of the settlement toward the cost of the health care. Under some conditions, however, it is also free to file its own lawsuit to recover the medical outlays directly from the negligent driver (who in some circumstances might even wind up covering the same medical bills twice). It might file suit directly if, for example, it does not expect to get a collectible judgment from the beneficiary.

For some time now, the federal government has been stepping up its pursuit of money from these defendants. The language slipped into the health bill would greatly expand the scope of these suits against third parties, while doing something entirely new, namely allow freelance lawyers to file them on behalf of the government--without asking permission--and collect rich bounties if they manage thereby to extract money from the defendants. Lawyers will recognize this as a "qui tam" procedure, of the sort that has led to a growing body of litigation filed by freelance bounty hunters against universities, defense contractors and others alleged to have overcharged the government.

It gets worse. Language in the bill would permit the lawyers to file at least some sorts of Medicare recovery actions based on "any relevant evidence, including but not limited to relevant statistical or epidemiological evidence, or by other similarly reliable means." This reads very much as if an attempt is being made to lay the groundwork for claims against new classes of defendants who might not be proved liable in an individual case but are responsible in a "statistical" sense. The best known such controversies are over whether suppliers of products such as alcohol, calorie-laden foods or guns should be compelled to pay compensation for society-wide patterns of illness or injury.

A few other highlights of the provision:

--It would knock out a significant current barrier to litigation by doing away with a rule that restricts the filing of a Medicare suit until after a previous "judgment," that is to say, after the success of an earlier lawsuit establishing responsibility for the injury.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/22/med...ter-olson.html

TheMercenary 07-25-2009 08:19 PM

More evidence of a non-transparent Obama Administration:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090725/D99LCTJO0.html

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 04:43 AM

WWTKD? (What Would Ted Kennedy Do?).......

Quote:

While Americans worry over government insurance plans, longer waits for treatment, and "healthcare rationing," a more sinister agenda lurks in the shadows of the healthcare bill now before the House of Representatives. Today's Medicare recipients could be the first to experience our government's new solution to America's "useless eaters."

Section 1233 of HR 3200, the healthcare reform measure under consideration, mandates "Advance Care Planning Consultation." Under the proposal, all senior citizens receiving government medical care would be required to undergo these counseling sessions every five years. Further reading of the law reveals that these sessions are nothing more than a not-so-veiled attempt to convince the elderly to forego treatment. HR 3200 calls outright for these compulsory consultations to recommend "palliative care and hospice." These are typically administered in the place of treatment intended to prolong life, and instead focus on pain relief until death. These are, of course, reasonable and beneficial options for terminally ill patients and their families.

But this legislation doesn't stop there. Section 1233 requires "an explanation by the practitioner of the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including palliative care and hospice, and benefits for such services and supports that are available under this title." But, under the terms of the section, the federal government can compel more frequent end-of-life sessions if it declares a "significant change" in the health of the Medicare recipient, a change that the bill does not confine to fatal illness, but which encompasses broad and abstract conditions described as "chronic," "progressive," or "life-limiting." The bill even empowers physicians to make an "actionable medical order" to "limit some or all specified interventions..." In effect, the government can determine that a "life-limiting" condition demands the withholding of treatment.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/...ss_eaters.html

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 05:09 AM

Another Blow to the money dump for health care:

Quote:

For the second time this month, congressional budget analysts have dealt a blow to the Democrat's health reform efforts, this time by saying a plan touted by the White House as crucial to paying for the bill would actually save almost no money over 10 years.

A key House chairman and moderate House Democrats on Tuesday agreed to a White House-backed proposal that would give an outside panel the power to make cuts to government-financed health care programs. White House budget director Peter Orszag declared the plan "probably the most important piece that can be added" to the House's health care reform legislation.

But on Saturday, the Congressional Budget Office said the proposal to give an independent panel the power to keep Medicare spending in check would only save about $2 billion over 10 years- a drop in the bucket compared to the bill's $1 trillion price tag.

Redux 07-26-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584081)
WWTKD? (What Would Ted Kennedy Do?).......

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/...ss_eaters.html

Why not just call it what the other wing nuts are calling it...Obama's Suicide Bill.

Here is the provision:
''Advance Care Planning Consultation
''(hhh) (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), the term 'advance care planning consultation' means a consultation between the individual and a practitioner described in paragraph (2) regarding advance care planning, if, subject to paragraph (3), the individual involved has not had such a consultation within the last 5 years. Such consultation shall include the following:

''(A) An explanation by the practitioner of advance care planning, including key questions and considerations, important steps, and suggested people to talk to.

''(B) An explanation by the practitioner of advance directives, including living wills and durable 19 powers of attorney, and their uses.

''(C) An explanation by the practitioner of the role and responsibilities of a health care proxy.

''(D) The provision by the practitioner of a list of national and State-specific resources to assist consumers and their families with advance care planning, including the national toll-free hotline, the advance care planning clearinghouses, and State legal service organizations (including those funded through the Older Americans Act of 1965).

''(E) An explanation by the practitioner of the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including palliative care and hospice, and benefits for such services and supports that are available under this title.

''(F)(i) Subject to clause (ii), an explanation of orders regarding life sustaining treatment or similar orders, which shall include--

''(I) the reasons why the development of such an order is beneficial to the individual and the individual's family and the reasons why such an order should be updated periodically as the health of the individual changes;

''(II) the information needed for an individual or legal surrogate to make informed decisions regarding the completion of such an order; and

''(III) the identification of resources that an individual may use to determine the requirements of the State in which such unable to communicate those wishes, including requirements regarding the designation of a surrogate decisionmaker (also known as a health care proxy).

''(ii) The Secretary shall limit the requirement for explanations under clause (i) to consultations furnished in a State--

''(I) in which all legal barriers have been addressed for enabling orders for life sustaining treatment to constitute a set of medical orders respected across all care settings; and

''(II) that has in effect a program for orders for life sustaining treatment described in clause (iii).

''(iii) A program for orders for life sustaining treatment for a States described in this clause is a program that--

''(I) ensures such orders are standardized and uniquely identifiable throughout the State;

''(II) distributes or makes accessible such orders to physicians and other health professionals that (acting within the scope of the professional's authority under State law) may sign orders for life sustaining treatment;

''(III) provides training for health care professionals across the continuum of care about the goals and use of orders for life sustaining treatment; and

''(IV) is guided by a coalition of stakeholders includes representatives from emergency medical services, emergency department physicians or nurses, state long-term care association, state medical association, state surveyors, agency responsible for senior services, state department of health, state hospital association, home health association, state bar association, and state hospice association.

''(2) A practitioner described in this paragraph is--

''(A) a physician (as defined in subsection (r)(1)); and
''(B) a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant who has the authority under State law to sign orders for life sustaining treatments.

''(3)(A) An initial preventive physical examination 21 under subsection (WW), including any related discussion during such examination, shall not be considered an advance care planning consultation for purposes of applying the 5-year limitation under paragraph (1).

''(B) An advance care planning consultation with respect to an individual may be conducted more frequently than provided under paragraph (1) if there is a significant change in the health condition of the individual, including diagnosis of a chronic, progressive, life-limiting disease, a life-threatening or terminal diagnosis or life-threatening injury, or upon admission to a skilled nursing facility, a long-term care facility (as defined by the Secretary), or a hospice program.

''(4) A consultation under this subsection may include the formulation of an order regarding life sustaining treatment or a similar order.

''(5)(A) For purposes of this section, the term 'order regarding life sustaining treatment' means, with respect to an individual, an actionable medical order relating to the treatment of that individual that--

''(i) is signed and dated by a physician (as de18 fined in subsection (r)(1)) or another health care professional (as specified by the Secretary and who is acting within the scope of the professional's authority under State law in signing such an order, including a nurse practitioner or physician assistant) and is in a form that permits it to stay with the individual and be followed by health care professionals and providers across the continuum of care;

''(ii) effectively communicates the individual's preferences regarding life sustaining treatment, including an indication of the treatment and care desired by the individual;

''(iii) is uniquely identifiable and standardized within a given locality, region, or State (as identified by the Secretary); and

'(iv) may incorporate any advance directive (as defined in section 1866(f)(3)) if executed by the individual.

''(B) The level of treatment indicated under subparagraph (A)(ii) may range from an indication for full treatment to an indication to limit some or all or specified interventions. Such indicated levels of treatment may include indications respecting, among other items--

''(i) the intensity of medical intervention if the patient is pulse less, apneic, or has serious cardiac or pulmonary problems; ''(ii) the individual's desire regarding transfer to a hospital or remaining at the current care setting;

''(iii) the use of antibiotics; and

''(iv) the use of artificially administered nutrition and hydration.''.

Please point out where it says (or any section in the bill)..as you highlighted.... The bill even empowers physicians to make an "actionable medical order" to "limit some or all specified interventions..." In effect, the government can determine that a "life-limiting" condition demands the withholding of treatment..

Simply ignoring the subsection that states: ...effectively communicates the individual's preferences regarding life sustaining treatment, including an indication of the treatment and care desired by the individual;

The individual's preferences seems quite clear to me. I dont know how that translates into "government can determine that a "life-limiting" condition demands the withholding of treatment."

What is wrong with providing consultation for advance care planning for the terminally ill?

Damn dude, do you really believe everything you read w/o even bothering to confirm its validity?

Get a grip, Merc. You're obsession with snipping and pasting everything you read (most of which are partisan editorials that have no regard for the facts, but whose intent is to scare) that might support you position only makes you look more ignorant of the facts and gives you less credibility than you already have, at least IMO.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:10 AM

Why did you leave out the rest of it? Maybe you aren't familar with the term "actionable medical order".

Quote:

`(2) A practitioner described in this paragraph is--

`(A) a physician (as defined in subsection (r)(1)); and

`(B) a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant who has the authority under State law to sign orders for life sustaining treatments.

`(3)(A) An initial preventive physical examination under subsection (WW), including any related discussion during such examination, shall not be considered an advance care planning consultation for purposes of applying the 5-year limitation under paragraph (1).

`(B) An advance care planning consultation with respect to an individual may be conducted more frequently than provided under paragraph (1) if there is a significant change in the health condition of the individual, including diagnosis of a chronic, progressive, life-limiting disease, a life-threatening or terminal diagnosis or life-threatening injury, or upon admission to a skilled nursing facility, a long-term care facility (as defined by the Secretary), or a hospice program.

`(4) A consultation under this subsection may include the formulation of an order regarding life sustaining treatment or a similar order.

`(5)(A) For purposes of this section, the term `order regarding life sustaining treatment' means, with respect to an individual, an actionable medical order relating to the treatment of that individual that--

`(i) is signed and dated by a physician (as defined in subsection (r)(1)) or another health care professional (as specified by the Secretary and who is acting within the scope of the professional's authority under State law in signing such an order, including a nurse practitioner or physician assistant) and is in a form that permits it to stay with the individual and be followed by health care professionals and providers across the continuum of care;

`(ii) effectively communicates the individual's preferences regarding life sustaining treatment, including an indication of the treatment and care desired by the individual;

`(iii) is uniquely identifiable and standardized within a given locality, region, or State (as identified by the Secretary); and

`(iv) may incorporate any advance directive (as defined in section 1866(f)(3)) if executed by the individual.

`(B) The level of treatment indicated under subparagraph (A)(ii) may range from an indication for full treatment to an indication to limit some or all or specified interventions. Such indicated levels of treatment may include indications respecting, among other items--

`(i) the intensity of medical intervention if the patient is pulse less, apneic, or has serious cardiac or pulmonary problems;

`(ii) the individual's desire regarding transfer to a hospital or remaining at the current care setting;

`(iii) the use of antibiotics; and

`(iv) the use of artificially administered nutrition and hydration.'.

(2) PAYMENT- Section 1848(j)(3) of such Act (42 U.S.C. 1395w-4(j)(3)) is amended by inserting `(2)(FF),' after `(2)(EE),'.

(3) FREQUENCY LIMITATION- Section 1862(a) of such Act (42 U.S.C. 1395y(a)) is amended--

(A) in paragraph (1)--

(i) in subparagraph (N), by striking `and' at the end;

(ii) in subparagraph (O) by striking the semicolon at the end and inserting `, and'; and

(iii) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(P) in the case of advance care planning consultations (as defined in section 1861(hhh)(1)), which are performed more frequently than is covered under such section;'; and

(B) in paragraph (7), by striking `or (K)' and inserting `(K), or (P)'.

(4) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by this subsection shall apply to consultations furnished on or after January 1, 2011.
I really doubt that the government would ever get any provision passed that would begin to have a documented trail of withholding care, it will be done more quitely through rationing.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584092)
You're obsession with snipping and pasting everything you read (most of which are partisan editorials that have no regard for the facts, but whose intent is to scare)...

Ummm... that would be BS. Few links are partisan. Where is the transparency? Why the secret meetings with members of the industry? Why not just come out and tell everyone about them from the beginning? Why no normal trail of photo ops with the visits? Remember the Energy meetings with Cheney? What double standards... And you support this numbnut?

Redux 07-26-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584107)
Why did you leave out the rest of it? Maybe you aren't familar with the term "actionable medical order".

What part of:
`(ii) effectively communicates the individual's preferences regarding life sustaining treatment, including an indication of the treatment and care desired by the individual;
dont you understand?

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:15 AM

Like I said, really doubt that the government would ever get any provision passed that would begin to have a documented trail of withholding care, it will be done more quitely through rationing.

Redux 07-26-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584108)
Ummm... that would be BS. Few links are partisan. Where is the transparency? Why the secret meetings with members of the industry? Why not just come out and tell everyone about them from the beginning? Why no normal trail of photo ops with the visits? Remember the Energy meetings with Cheney? What double standards... And you support this numbnut?

Hey,...IMO, you are obsessed and I thinks it amusing if not a little frightening.

Obama identified participants...Bush/Cheney did not. An indisputable fact.

I dont particularly want the press at every meeting. I want participants to be able to have open and honest discussions w/o it being misrepresented by many of the wing nut editorials you post.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:18 AM

Maybe you can defend the two consecutive CBO reports that state no money will be saved over the 10 year projection to make and save money.

How about the estimates that we still will not have covered the uninsured.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584111)
Obama identified participants...Bush/Cheney did not. An indisputable fact.

I dont particularly want the press at every meeting. I want participants to be able to have open and honest discussions w/o it being misrepresented by many of the wing nut editorials you post.

Well your guy fails big on that one. They only released the names after being threatened by a FOIA request and it was delayed. It is about what Obama is doing. He promised a change. Secret meetings are not part of that promise. What secret business deals do they have to hide?

Redux 07-26-2009 08:26 AM

In fact, the CBO staff also stated that their analysis excluded estimates of potential savings.

I have some problems with several of the proposals..but I dont judge a book after reading only one chapter and I dont make final judgments on draft legislation that is far from final.

And I certainly dont base my opinion on mischaracterizations by partisan editorials.

Redux 07-26-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584113)
Well your guy fails big on that one. They only released the names after being threatened by a FOIA request and it was delayed. It is about what Obama is doing. He promised a change. Secret meetings are not part of that promise. What secret business deals do they have to hide?

Again..what part dont you understand.

Obama released the names....Bush did not. I know you cant or wont accept the difference.

I am for transparency as much as anyone, but I understand that it does not mean every minute of every discussion should be subject to press scrutiny. I hope it never comes to that.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584115)
Again..what part dont you understand.

Obama released the names....Bush did not. I know you cant or wont accept the difference.

I am for transparency as much as anyone, but I understand that it does mean every minute of every discussion should be subject to press scrutiny. I hope it never comes to that.

Again..what part dont you understand. It is not about what they finally have done after being pressed. What deals were made with the industry? Release the notes. Tell us what was discussed, what was the agenda, what were the topics. Show us the notes of the meetings. What do they have to hide?

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584114)
In fact, the CBO staff also stated that their analysis excluded estimates of potential savings.

I have some problems with several of the proposals..but I dont judge a book after reading only one chapter and I dont make final judgments on draft legislation that is far from final.

And I certainly dont base my opinion on mischaracterizations by partisan editorials.

I never really considered the CBO to be a partisan editorial, but if that is how you see them, what ever.

The evidence is that there is as much of a possibility that we will go bankrupt under the proposal as there is that they don't know? What kind of forcast is that? So you are willing to take that chance with our economy in the shape it is in? You are willing to take a chance with our childrens future? I am not.

We are not reading one chapter, we are reading the elements that need effective change. Not a the typical Demoncratic Rahm Rod and Pelosi push without adequate public comment and opportunity to have input and effective change in the Bill.

Redux 07-26-2009 08:37 AM

I'll just wait for your next string of "snips and posts" to find out about the deals.

You're guys in the media seem to have all the facts. :eek:

Redux 07-26-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584118)
I never really considered the CBO to be a partisan editorial, but if that is how you see them, what ever.

Neither do I, but I also consider what they said that they did not include in their analysis...the potential savings.

Ahh...the 'whatever" defense again.

I guess that means we're done with this go round.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584119)
I'll just wait for your next string of "snips and posts" to find out about the deals.

"You're" Guys?

We will never know about any deals unless Obamy and his Demoncratic cronies tell us. Will we?

Redux 07-26-2009 08:42 AM

Looking forward to the "snips of the day" that tell me the government is planning to take over my life. ;)

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584119)

So you can't defend the estimates? You are ok with them bankrupting us? Ok.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584122)
Looking forward to the "snips of the day" that tell me the government is planning to take over my life. ;)

You can let them take over your life if you want. You have free choice in that much.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 09:30 AM

Should Public, Private Health Plans Compete?

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/ComJCGHeartland070109.pdf

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 09:37 AM

More ideas about care for the elderly. I am not sure that I completely disagree with some of it. It is the only way that the system as proposed may survive. This actually refers to an earlier post I made on the issue.

NCPA: White House (advisor) Has Ideas On How To Ration Health Care
July 22, 2009

Presidential Health Advisor's Writings Support Less Care for the Elderly

Quote:

DALLAS, TX (July 22, 2009) - On the cusp of President Obama's news conference tonight, the National Center for Policy Analysis points to evidence that the President's health care reform plan may result in denying care to a significant number of Americans, especially the elderly.

"Clearly the Administration does not consider doctors the best judges of the type of health care people need," said NCPA President John C. Goodman. "The obvious end game: Washington will tell doctors how to practice medicine and dictate what kind of health care patients receive." Goodman's full statement appears in an entry he posted today on this subject at his health policy blog.

The NCPA cites two scholarly articles in which the President's health advisor Ezekiel Emanuel outlined how health care rationing could be carried out. Emanuel, special advisor for health policy to the director for the White House Office of Management and Budget, says young adults should be given preference over seniors because younger people have more years of life ahead of them. He also says that young adults should be given preferential care over very young children because society already has made an investment in their education.

In the medical journal The Lancet, Emanuel writes that if health care has to be rationed, he prefers the "complete lives system," which "discriminates against older people....Unlike allocation by sex or race, allocation by age is not invidious discrimination; every person lives through different life stages rather than being a single age. Even if 25-year-olds receive priority over 65-year-olds, everyone who is 65 years now was previously 25 years."

In a different article written more than 10 years ago for the Hastings Center Report, Emanuel said health services should not be guaranteed to "individuals who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens." Emanuel wrote, "An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia."

As a part of a better solution to health reform, the NCPA is taking an active role in promoting consumer-driven health care options by supporting a national petition drive to educate citizens.
The "Free Our Health Care Now" petition has already been signed by over 620,000 people opposed to a government nationalization of our health care system: http://freeourhealthcarenow.com/

http://www.ncpa.org/media/ncpa-white...on-health-care

Redux 07-26-2009 11:09 AM

Merc...I ask this in all sincerity

Why do you think other members would be inclined to engage you on the issue when for the most part, all you do is snip and post, and mostly from partisan editorials and sites (the ncpa being the latest)...day after day...hour after hour?

To others...is it just me? Am I missing a reason to continue to discuss the issue with Merc, given they style of discussion (?) that is presented.

Is it worth responding to every snip and post when all you get in response is dodging and weaving?

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584173)
Merc...I ask this in all sincerity

Why do you think other members would be inclined to engage you on the issue when for the most part, all you do is snip and post, and mostly from partisan editorials and sites (the ncpa being the latest)...day after day...hour after hour?

Your opinion on the issue is not really important to me. What you state is opinion. You are a partisan hack of the Obamy Administration and the Demoncrats. I am interested in the details of this reform process that is most likely going to come one way or another. It is very important that we keep an eye on the process and details. I am interested in exposing the double standards that the Demoncrats in Congress have shown in the last 2 years, and most importantly in the last 7 months. And if no one else is interested that is ok, but be careful what you wish for because once the deal is done by Congress it is pretty much what you have to live with. The devil is in the details on this issue and very few are looking at those details. This is another Rahm it through and Pelosi Push with very little chance for input by anyone other than the Demoncrats special interest groups and the deals they may have made behind closed doors in the White House. Who knows because they are covering up the details of those discussions. I fully support an overhaul of the system but not on the terms of any one party with a grip on power, be it Demoncrats or Republickins.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

House Democrat’s Health Care Reform Bill Is a 1,018-Page Nightmare
Goodman: Bill Contains All the Bad Ideas from Previous Versions

DALLAS, TX (July 15, 2009) – The Democrats’ health care reform bill under consideration in the
House of Representatives creates a new government-run health plan that will undercut the private
market and force as many as 119 million people to lose their private health insurance and be forced into
a Medicare-like plan, according to National Center for Policy Analysis President John C. Goodman.

“Americans who desperately need health care relief won’t get it in this bill,” said Goodman.” This
legislation is going to create a financial and medical nightmare for Americans. Of course, members of
Congress will be able to hold on to their Cadillac health care plans because this reform won’t apply to
them,” he added.

The bill, which could reach the floor as early as next week, requires employers to pay the
government for health reform – either by purchasing government-approved insurance for their
employees, or (more likely) by paying a tax and sending their employees over to the government-run
Medicare-like plan.

“This bill has ALL the bad ideas from previous versions, plus a cost of one trillion dollars, and NO
long-term solutions that will control costs or improve quality,” added Goodman. “This bill contains
1,018 pages of new regulations that will REQUIRE you to buy as much health insurance as the
government mandates, even before you buy groceries, gas, or pay your rent. If you don’t buy
government-approved insurance, you will be taxed.”
http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/71509NewHCBill.pdf

The National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research
organization established to develop alternatives to government regulation by relying on the private
sector.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 01:52 PM

Which Dem crafted this language? I bet it was Pelosi... :lol:

Quote:

The proposed health-insurance bill from the House of Representatives refers to mentally disabled people as "retarded" -- a term advocates, relatives and physicians find outdated and offensive.

The bill refers to: "A hospital or a nursing facility or intermediate-care facility for the mentally retarded . . ."

The phrase could cause more problems with groups for the developmentally disabled, who were angered when President Obama referred to his poor bowling skills on "The Tonight Show" as "like the Special Olympics." Obama later apologized.
all over the news and this from the NYPost.

Clodfobble 07-26-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux
To others...is it just me? Am I missing a reason to continue to discuss the issue with Merc, given they style of discussion (?) that is presented.

Is it worth responding to every snip and post when all you get in response is dodging and weaving?

Perhaps you may find your answer in the fact that no one else has bothered to participate in the last 28 posts. ;)

You should visit the other parts of the Cellar outside of Politics, Redux. You'll find lots more entertainment and less frustration.

glatt 07-26-2009 03:08 PM

:lol:

I was just scrolling past the last dozen posts or so and landed on this. Too true.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

DALLAS, TX (July 1, 2009) - The proposal by Congress and the Obama Administration to impose excise taxes on soft drinks and increase them on alcohol to fund health care reform and energy technology development won't accomplish their goal of changing unhealthy behavior or increasing revenue, according to a new report by the National Center for Policy Analysis. Instead, according to the NCPA report, it will inflict a burden on the poor.

"Although there are claims that excise taxes are more efficient than other taxes, the evidence shows that these taxes are often ineffective, inefficient and unfair," said Sean Shurtleff, NCPA Policy Analyst and author of the report. "Low income families spend more of their money on products subject to excise taxes than higher income families, making excise taxes very regressive."

Proponents of an estimated tax of 3 cents per 12 ounces on soft drinks believe the tax will eventually discourage people from consuming them. Unfortunately, excise taxes fail to produce the desired behavioral changes, as peoples' consumption is relatively insensitive to price changes, and people are generally reluctant to give up certain products, including soft drinks and junk food, Shurtleff points out.

On the other hand, if the price of a product rises high enough to discourage consumption, an excise tax hike will not produce the expected revenue increase to fund health care and energy programs. Instead of consuming the products that have been taxed, people may begin substituting less expensive products for them. For instance, soda drinkers may turn to cheaper sugary drinks, Shurtleff found.

"There is little if any benefit that will come from imposing excise taxes on various products," said Shurtleff. "In fact, it will be a disadvantage to the poor who spend a larger portion of their income on the very products that may be taxed. A better approach is to balance the budget and reallocate resources from other programs toward priorities like health care and energy development."
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=18152

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 03:34 PM

29 :)

Redux 07-26-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584179)
Your opinion on the issue is not really important to me. What you state is opinion. You are a partisan hack of the Obamy Administration and the Demoncrats. I am interested in the details of this reform process that is most likely going to come one way or another.....

If you honestly believed that, you would expose the partisan hacks on the right as well, rather than snip and post them and highlight portions of those snips that has no basis in fact.

Consider the recent example I called you out on:
The bill even empowers physicians to make an "actionable medical order" to "limit some or all specified interventions..." In effect, the government can determine that a "life-limiting" condition demands the withholding of treatment.
There is no such provision in the House bill.

You dont want an honest debate.

You want to troll with your never ending snips and pastes, with little regard to the accuracy and/or context of those snips.

And you simply want to attack Obama and the Democrats, which is your right.

Perhaps it gives you pleasure or, in your own mind, you score a point....whether its to bitch about the cost of a night in NY for the president, accusing a newly elected senator of being a pedophile (WTF was that all about?) or trivializing the discussion(s) at every opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 584188)
Perhaps you may find your answer in the fact that no one else has bothered to participate in the last 28 posts. ;)

You should visit the other parts of the Cellar outside of Politics, Redux. You'll find lots more entertainment and less frustration.

I think you're right...it is time for me to wander around the Cellar more.....and limit poking Merc with a stick to the occasions when his snips contain bullshit that is so thick it permeates beyond the walls of the politics forum and wreaks throughout the Cellar....like the example above.

But its so easy to debunk him on those occasions, its not very challenging any more.

On the other hand, I still enjoy engaging the Urbane Guerilla. Now there is a challenge!

With all the utter madness that I read in his posts, at least UG expresses himself in his own words, often in a very creative (albeit not factual) manner. He's an original and not a parrot for every wing nut editorial writer or blogger that one encounters with Merc's ceaseless snips.

TheMercenary 07-26-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584215)
You dont want an honest debate.

But yet you refuse to defend him. And so far you have debunked nothing.

The Repulickins are not in charge. The Demoncrats are the ones in charge and they are the ones with the power. Most of what the Repubs are saying at this point are really insignificant.

Redux 07-26-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584217)
But yet you refuse to defend him. And so far you have debunked nothing.

I made my point.

Any dwellers who care to follow the crazy ass threads with your multiple snips and pastes, with little or no thoughts of your own, other than snarky and inane one line comments (I would hardly call them discussions in most instances), can decide for themselves.