The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2015 10:10 PM

Latest batch of Netflix and chill? http://cellar.org/2015/shades.gif

Gravdigr 11-23-2015 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned about the pink fairy armadillo.

Attachment 54250

limey 11-23-2015 04:21 PM

Recipe?

Sent by thought transference

Gravdigr 11-23-2015 04:44 PM

Sunny side up.

Put it on a bun.

limey 11-23-2015 04:53 PM

Looks a little like an armoured, fur-lined condom, no?

Sent by thought transference

xoxoxoBruce 11-23-2015 07:09 PM

Trade SIDs for Leprosy? :eek6:

Griff 11-24-2015 06:15 AM

Nice find Grav.

Lamplighter 11-24-2015 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 946207)

They do have an industrial use...

Attachment 54262

Lamplighter 11-26-2015 10:10 AM

Today, I learned that the standards of discourse here in the Cellar are quite remarkable.

It's OK to "blame the victim" for being abused, so long as the abuser is not "intolerably annoying"

I don't quite know what "intolerably annoying" really means.
At least the following mode of trolling does not meet that standard.

a) pick a target
b) goad with ad hominem insults
c) gloat by self-aggrandizement
d) deny fallibility
Repeat, ad nauseum

So, I've decided to leave.
For the most part, I've enjoyed my stay here.
But I will enjoy dealing with the Donald Trump's of the world elsewhere.

Take care.

DanaC 11-26-2015 10:14 AM

Whoah wtf?

Griff 11-26-2015 10:37 AM

wss

glatt 11-26-2015 11:21 AM

He wanted me to ban Sexobon, and I explained via pm that while I consider Sexobon to be a shit stirrer I don't think it's right for me to ban him.

Gravdigr 11-26-2015 11:22 AM

Well, damn, Lamp! If that's how ya feel, that's how ya feel, I guess...

Stay thirsty, my friend.

:(

Clodfobble 11-26-2015 11:40 AM

Today I learned (not for the first time) that rather than call someone out for behavior he disapproves of, Lamp will instead whine that no one else has called out that person, and then flounce off (again, not for the first time.)

The Cellar is primarily self-policing, just like real social interactions. What you're doing here is nothing less than shirking your responsibility as a member of the community.

Undertoad 11-26-2015 12:42 PM

Very obviously, "intolerably annoying" is annoying to the community, not annoying to any one member of the community. Otherwise we'd all be gone.

~

So, go find people who think exactly like you. Then you can politically whack off to your heart's content, and always be correct, without having to deal with disagreement or any challenges to your point of view. JUST REMEMBER THAT THIS IS HOW POLITICS MAKES YOU STUPID

Zathris 11-26-2015 12:42 PM

Lamp will return. I keep returning.

infinite monkey 11-26-2015 01:21 PM

I don't think its helpful to make someone feel bad for feeling bad enough to say they're leaving. I think we read into the surface, and only feel for and prop up the imploring and beseeching folks. Maybe even the likes of lamp could use a little encouragement and a reiteration that they, too, are a valuable member of the community.

We're all humans, you know. :(

xoxoxoBruce 11-26-2015 01:50 PM

I miss Zengum.

DanaC 11-26-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 946528)
I don't think its helpful to make someone feel bad for feeling bad enough to say they're leaving. I think we read into the surface, and only feel for and prop up the imploring and beseeching folks. Maybe even the likes of lamp could use a little encouragement and a reiteration that they, too, are a valuable member of the community.

We're all humans, you know. :(

Well said, Inf.

glatt 11-26-2015 02:18 PM

I think we could all use more empathy and attempt to listen to and understand one another.

xoxoxoBruce 11-26-2015 02:23 PM

You're assuming derision doesn't stem from completely understanding.

monster 11-26-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 946207)
Today I learned about the pink fairy armadillo.

Attachment 54250

It would be awesome to see a blue dragon riding one of these. With reins and all....

now there's a turducken-type recipe in the making

infinite monkey 11-26-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 946529)
I miss Zengum.

Who doesn't? And HLJ...and and...

Thanks dana. :)

Hey, I know I can be a real bitch. Those here who say I have value, in spite of said bitchiness (and clod is one of those people, thank you) help me realize that this place is like family in some ways. And I like lamp. I like sexobutt-head. Tomorrow I might hate them both. ;)

I had a good day with my family. I hope you all did too. For those who aren't celebrating the merkin thanksgiving day, my wish for you is the same.

Tomorrow, I will return you to the regularly scheduled crazy infi show. Or not. :blush:

classicman 11-27-2015 11:46 AM

Re: Lamp. He's a stubborn man whom I disagree with politically. Aside from that I think we have a lot in common. I ignore many of his partisan posts for that reason.
Sad that another long timer is no longer here. Sad that he also took the route he took. Going behind another dwellars back and asking Mgmt to Ban another because you can't refute his responses is weak as shit. Pull up your pants and defend yourself, man. Srsly - If he was successful, would XOB have been next? They got into it a bit lately too.

classicman 11-27-2015 11:48 AM

Today I learned that being "fine" is no longer good enough for me.
I want more. I deserve more.

Oh, and on a lighter note - EVERYONE should serve turkey on Thanksgiving (barring deathly allergies) Chicken casserole doesn't cut it. WTF people?

Griff 11-27-2015 02:58 PM

Chicken casserole? Unacceptable.

xoxoxoBruce 11-27-2015 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

monster 11-27-2015 06:14 PM

Today I learned about a whole new brand of crazy. I got to work at 5am, so I didn't see the people who had started to line up outside the store at 5:45. No Black Friday electronic bargains..... but the release of a once-a-year limited edition Goose Island Beer. First I knew was when we opened at 7am and hordes hurtled through the store. all gone 30 minutes later, and apparently we had the biggest allocation in the area. I was working in the beer area a bit today and all day shifty looking guys sidled in: "psst ....got any of that...." Nutters.

Griff 11-27-2015 07:09 PM

The humans are wack.

Zathris 11-28-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 946584)
I deserve more.

Well, here's what I deserve:
  • I deserve to be able to walk without balance issues.
  • I deserve "normal hand function".
  • I deserve to be able to get a proper shower.
  • I deserve "normal" reflexes, especially for driving.
  • I deserve to be able to work for a living (at a job I actually like).
  • I deserve my metabolism back.
  • I deserve to be able to talk at a normal speed.

In short, I deserve to be normal (via a non-surgical, single treatment "cure" for Cerebral Palsy, such as an injection of stem cells directly into my cerebellum, theoretically causing motor cell re-generation).

Undertoad 11-28-2015 03:04 PM

In other words, you deserve to be "fine". :(

Zathris 11-28-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 946678)
In other words, you deserve to be "fine". :(

No. I deserve to be average fully abled individual.

Your sadface emoticon is unappreciated.

lumberjim 11-28-2015 04:08 PM

The word deserve is right up there with the word should in my book.

A=A

Clodfobble 11-28-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris
No. I deserve to be average fully abled individual.

Your sadface emoticon is unappreciated.

I think UT was being sincere, Zath. Classic was saying "fine" wasn't good enough for him anymore, and UT was noting that being fine would be a step up for you. He is sad at your circumstances.

Gravdigr 11-28-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 946583)
If he was successful, would XOB have been next?

Bruce has seniority. And, I think, tenure.

;)

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2015 06:20 PM

No, all Cellar members are created equal, just some of us are more obnoxious. :p:

Beestie 11-28-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 946685)
Your sadface emoticon is misunderstood.

Zathris 11-28-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 946686)
The word deserve is right up there with the word should in my book.

A=A

Well said, Sir Jim of the Lumbery Helm. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 946719)
I think UT was being sincere, Zath. Classic was saying "fine" wasn't good enough for him anymore, and UT was noting that being fine would be a step up for you. He is sad at your circumstances.

Fine is a subjective term. Also, I guess UT's feelings are understandable. As long as his "sadness" does not turn to pity, I'm "fine" with it.

Zathris 11-28-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 946735)
...just some of us are more obnoxious. :p:

Like Beestie, for modifying what I posted. BAN HIM/HER/IT! :rolleyes:

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2015 08:24 PM

Whoa, my post referred to the one immediately before it, the one about me, and has nothing to do with your interpretations of people responding to yours. Leave me the fuck out of your drama.

Beestie 11-28-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathris (Post 946738)
Like Beestie, for modifying what I posted. BAN HIM/HER/IT! :rolleyes:

Easy there, just trying to add some clarity.

monster 11-28-2015 09:39 PM

This was a very good thread until it was derailed with whining and the resulting chemical reactions. Most people were trying to be nice, even if they failed. Let's see if we can learn to just let it go from here and make a team effort to rescue this thread. Please?

Classicman learned to love himself a little bit more than he did. Which is good. We should probably all try to do that.

I learned people can be very weird about beer. We probably shouldn't all do that (be very weird about beer)

---------

Today -----just right now, in fact, especially to try and rescue this thread, I went off and learned three new things. I hope you find at least one of them interesting:

Oranges do not actually turn orange unless they are exposed to cold weather, which causes the chlorophyll to move away from the skin. Sometimes oranges grown in hot climates are treated with ethylene gas to break down the chlorophyll and turn the oranges orange to make consumers happy.

There is only one word in the English dictionary containing a double y ("yy"): Sayyid

Peanut M&Ms were created by Forrest Mars -who was allergic to peanuts.

glatt 11-28-2015 09:44 PM

The orange thing is cool.

Zathris 11-28-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 946744)
Whoa, my post referred to the one immediately before it, the one about me, and has nothing to do with your interpretations of people responding to yours. Leave me the fuck out of your drama.

:violin:

Zathris 11-28-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 946749)
This was a very good thread until it was derailed with whining and the resulting chemical reactions. Most people were trying to be nice, even if they failed. Let's see if we can learn to just let it go from here and make a team effort to rescue this thread. Please?

Agreed. My bad for starting this whole mess.

Let's get back on topic.

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 946749)
Classicman learned to love himself a little bit more than he did. Which is good. We should probably all try to do that.

I'll have you know I love myself quite frequently. :blush:

Quote:

Today -----just right now, in fact, especially to try and rescue this thread, I went off and learned three new things. I hope you find at least one of them interesting:

Oranges do not actually turn orange unless they are exposed to cold weather, which causes the chlorophyll to move away from the skin. Sometimes oranges grown in hot climates are treated with ethylene gas to break down the chlorophyll and turn the oranges orange to make consumers happy.

There is only one word in the English dictionary containing a double y ("yy"): Sayyid

Peanut M&Ms were created by Forrest Mars -who was allergic to peanuts.
They all are.

monster 12-07-2015 05:24 PM

90% of the world's mint supply used to be grown in south Michigan

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...od_to_mic.html

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2015 07:58 PM

The title, "food scientist" makes me think, keep an eye on this guy, he may be dangerous. :lol:

Gravdigr 12-12-2015 12:17 PM

Recently, I learned about Elm Farm Ollie. Despite the name "Ollie", she was a cow. She wasn't just any old cow, either. Ollie was the first cow to fly. In an airplane. On February 18, 1930. I believe it was a Tuesday. She was also the first cow to be milked in flight. Elsworth W. Bunce was the first man to milk a flying cow. One has to wonder if there has even been a second man to milk a flying cow.

One also has to wonder..."Why?".

BigV 12-12-2015 03:13 PM

Because red bull wasn't available?

I ask myself much the same with respect to that epic bovine.

sexobon 12-12-2015 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My theory is it was a scientific experiment to see if a cow could jump over the moon; but, they wanted to give it a better chance by taking it up in an airplane and milking it to lighten its load before launching it.

Attachment 54439

monster 12-20-2015 09:37 PM

That chinking cups during a toast was originally to ensure a little liquid was exchanged so no-one poisoned the drink of another

That chameleons' color changing is based on their temperament rather than their surrounding

That Cuttlefish and Octopussies can change texture as well as color to blend into their surroundings.

I haven't fact-checked any of these, but they came from reliable sources during after-dinner conversation tonight :)

lumberjim 12-20-2015 11:36 PM

All true. Saw it on the Internet

Sundae 12-21-2015 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 949168)
That chinking cups during a toast was originally to ensure a little liquid was exchanged so no-one poisoned the drink of another

This I didn't know. If asked I'd have posited it was the noise which was important, to ward off evil spirits. Now I can be all superior and refuse to toast saying wearily, "It's okay, I don't actually think you're trying to poison me." :p:
Quote:

That chameleons' color changing is based on their temperament rather than their surrounding
This however I did know. It's actually an annoying piece of knowledge as so many advertisers/ greeting card manufacturers/ comedians do not seem aware of it. But perhaps that's just because I'm such a pedant, and it doesn't bother other people who know this.

Clodfobble 12-21-2015 08:33 AM

You mean this joke is not scientifically accurate?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Burnham
I put a chameleon on a red dildo...

...He blushed.

monster 12-21-2015 07:23 PM

I just learned there's a place called Hebe in PA

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 09:34 PM

Up near the state prison... uh, a state prison.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 10:14 PM

Yesterday, 12-20, was the day the very first website was born, only 25 years ago. :eek:

busterb 01-02-2016 08:11 PM

Today is not Monday! Way I'm going, I'll be able to hide my own easter eggs this year.

monster 01-02-2016 11:00 PM

That the signed Pratchet Discworld book I got Beest once sells for $150 on ebay. We could be riiiiiiiich! :lol: