The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

Trilby 07-04-2012 11:24 AM

Dana - does your mom have renters insurance or similar?

piercehawkeye45 07-04-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 818433)
Weather Underground is the weather-map that I have occasionally used in posting here.

Damn. Weather.com is really annoying if you search for anything besides current temperature and the 10 day prediction. I was actually looking (slowly) for a site that is more dedicated to data.

DanaC 07-04-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 818444)
Dana - does your mom have renters insurance or similar?

She doesn't have contents insurance, if that's what you mean. Fortunately, most of what's been damaged is easily replacable, for cheaper than the insurance payments would have been. Apart from the cooker, but that is provided by her landlord so will hopefully be covered on their insurance.

It's the pain of living in a damp house and possibly having to leave for a few weeks that's worrying really.

Trilby 07-04-2012 04:26 PM

I feel for her. Dampness is one of the worst.

Just saw our forecast - its going to be ONE HUNDRED on thurs and fri.

Sonnofabeeeeyotch. Eff this.

DanaC 07-04-2012 04:47 PM

Yikes. I could not cope with temps like that.

I also just saw our weather forecast. They're predicting more flooding Friday and Saturday in my region.

Clodfobble 07-04-2012 10:03 PM

Temperatures here are as high as they ever are in the summer (over 100 degrees, most days,) but we are very fortunate that the rain deficit has finally been catching up. This meant we were allowed to have fireworks this year, which was very exciting for the kids.

Ibby 07-04-2012 10:31 PM

CRAZY thunderstorm this afternoon. The streets were flooded past the top of the curb in my neighborhood, and a bunch of trees went down.
This is just from my street alone, and yeah those are power lines across the street too.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6...r7io3_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6...r7io1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6...r7io2_1280.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2012 10:36 PM

At least when the power goes out up there, they can milk by hand. :haha:

Trilby 07-06-2012 09:57 AM

Ibby - you're in Vermont now?

Ok. So what are those black people doing on the front porch? ;)

I had that shit happen to me last year. seven of 11 trees came crashing down and it cost 4,000 dollars to chop them up and haul them out. unreal.

TODAY just for something different it's gonna be OVER A HUNDRED! YAYAAAAYYYYYYY!

infinite monkey 07-06-2012 10:47 AM

And 110 with the heat index!!!!!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Trilby 07-07-2012 07:28 AM

Today will be 111 with heat index. Ffs! This is the midwest! We don't do this sort of thing!

monster 07-08-2012 04:52 PM

oh yes we do......

chrisinhouston 07-11-2012 05:57 PM

A rainy day here in Houston and we needed the rain. Not often that I look at the weather and see that Houston is 4 degrees cooler than where my relatives live in Minnesota! And they generally don't have central air. Oh well they will be knee deep in snow in a few more months! :)

BigV 07-13-2012 01:08 PM

Five minutes ago, the rain was so hard you couldn't see the pavement from the spray of the raindrops--drenching, pouring rain. The lightning flashed, I counted one one-thouKABLAAAAAAMMM!!... wow, that was close. Car alarms honking in fear. When I got to the corner, the fire engine was answering the thunder with all his horns, turned up to eleven. Tha's reallly loud.

Now, blue skies. The whole thunderstorm lasted about twenty minutes. I bet we got a half an inch of rain.

infinite monkey 07-13-2012 01:16 PM

What ees thees theeng you call 'rain'??????? :confused:

I'd kill for rain. Giant fat hard long noisy thunderous lightninged rain.

Gravdigr 09-10-2012 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RF'n last week.

Isaac takes a dump in KY.

Attachment 40592

glatt 09-10-2012 09:51 AM

That storm Saturday afternoon was pretty intense. I checked the radar at one point and it stretched from Virginia to Maine.

A couple small tornadoes even hit NYC.

I was driving in it as the front came through, and had to pull over for five minutes because I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me with the wipers on high. It caught a lot of people by surprise. When I resumed driving, I saw a woman who had been out walking her dog, and it looked like she had jut fallen into a swimming pool and climbed out. And several cyclists who were absolutely drenched. One tree down halfway across the road near our house. We didn't lose power but several friends did.

Sundae 09-10-2012 10:58 AM

Sky News this morning said that Scotland would be hit by heavy rain and wind by remnants of Hurricane Leslie spinning out across the Atlantic.
However the Express front page says it's Hurricane Michael we'll get. But they're not really known for their accuracy.

Hold onto your wind turbines, Limey.

Gravdigr 09-10-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 829582)
Hold onto your wind turbines, Limey.

Near a wind turbine in a wind storm?

One word of advice.

Duck.

Undertoad 09-10-2012 11:25 AM

That seems tragic, but in its dying seconds it generated enough power to build a replacement turbine.

BigV 09-10-2012 08:27 PM

last night we got enough rain to wet the gauge, and just enough to end our 48 day dry spell. not a record by a couple days, but still a long. hot. dry. summer.

Trilby 09-11-2012 07:10 AM

Today is dawning brilliant blue and halcyon. Just like sept. 11, 2001.

Oh, gawd. Now I"m getting depressed.

BigV 09-12-2012 05:51 PM

that lick of rain? It was a light lick. 0.01" of rain. A single hundredth of an inch. Gee. Thanks.

Trilby 09-12-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 830038)
that lick of rain? It was a light lick. 0.01" of rain. A single hundredth of an inch. Gee. Thanks.

(in God's Voice) BigV, you're welcome!

BigV 09-12-2012 07:29 PM

thank you sir, may I have another!

chrisinhouston 09-16-2012 09:35 PM

16 here in Geelong and supposed to rain later and go down to 10 tonight. I love it! Way better than Houston! :D

Sundae 09-17-2012 03:56 AM

Well, it is only Spring there.

Trilby 09-18-2012 07:02 AM

This morning could be described not as the black cauldron of morning but as a grey-ish blue cauldron of morning.

I just like the word 'cauldron'

Sundae 09-18-2012 12:45 PM

From Laurie Lee's April Rise
This was how this morning felt to me, even though we're on the other side of summer, on the downhill skid towards Christmas.

If ever I saw blessing in the air
I see it now in this still early day
Where lemon-green the vaporous morning drips
Wet sunlight on the powder of my eye.

Blown bubble-film of blue, the sky wraps round
Weeds of warm light whose every root and rod
Splutters with soapy green

Gravdigr 09-18-2012 03:14 PM

65 degrees rfn.

3 p.m.

September.

In Kentucky.

65 degrees.

Trilby 09-19-2012 06:07 AM

Oooo! I like the 'lemon-green the vaporous morning drips'

It reminds me of Plath's line about the sea during rainstorm: "Where it pours bean-green over blue"

Lamplighter 09-20-2012 08:22 AM

Grav, you must have forgot again and left the frig door open.

Trilby 09-24-2012 06:25 AM

It's freezing.

We've given fall a miss and headed straight into winter.

Sundae 09-25-2012 02:32 PM

Parts of the UK are taking a battering at present.

80 flood warnings still in place, 300 homes flooded, hundreds more evacuated, road and rail links closed/ disrupted. Power cuts, school closures and even the closure of a blood-bank in Bristol.

We had squally showers here, but nothing much more than a lazy topic of conversation. Although it meant I go a lift home from the Doctors as it was squalling at the time :)

Lamplighter 10-07-2012 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PDX has had a long string of beautiful sunny days, but some rain is predicted for the weekend.

But getting outside just before sunrise tomorrow morning will give
us yet another nice array of bright stars and two planets...

glatt 10-08-2012 11:26 AM

38 when I climbed out of my tent this morning. Brr.

Trilby 10-18-2012 07:09 AM

Blustery out this morning, Pooh.

Happy Thursday!

BigV 10-18-2012 10:14 AM

Still shirt sleeve weather here, but we did get some rain, enough to justify turning the wipers on. The first in about three months. Very, very, very dry summer here.

Trilby 10-18-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 834776)
Still shirt sleeve weather here, but we did get some rain, enough to justify turning the wipers on. The first in about three months. Very, very, very dry summer here.

Did the drought effect the Starbucks crop very much? :p:

BigV 10-18-2012 12:00 PM

I do sometimes drink Starbucks, but for the most part, I grind and brew my own coffee. And I'm a four-season coffee drinker. Sometimes I get an iced coffee when it's really hot. It wasn't especially hot this summer, just arid. Parched. Dessicated. Mummified. Dried. De-watered. Dusty. Water, Water, nary-where and barely a drop to drink.

Which explains the coffee. :coffee:

Trilby 10-18-2012 02:28 PM

The only thing I like at Starbucks is the salted caramel latte.

And this one kind of berry iced-tea...it's really good, too. but I'm not usually willing to pay five bucks for a cup of coffee. I only go there maybe three times a year.

ZenGum 10-24-2012 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We're moving well into spring now, so in the Outback (Thargomindah, Qld in particular) the forecast is for hot dry weather, smoke haze, strong winds, with a chance of fire elementals in the 4 to 6 hit dice range.

Attachment 41351

Okay technically that's a piddly little tornado (note the outdoor toilet or "dunny" on the right for scale) which is sucking up a pre-existing bushfire. I've seen things like this in bushfire footage fairly often. Without the fire we'd call it a willy-willy. With the fire, I don't know if it has a common name. Fire tornado? Firenado? Firespout? Fire devil? Firewilly? :lol:

glatt 10-24-2012 07:53 AM

willy willy, huh? We'd probably call that a dust devil.

Don't think we have a name for it when it's sucking on a fire.

infinite monkey 10-24-2012 07:59 AM

Fire fag?

BigV 10-24-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 835471)
We're moving well into spring now, so in the Outback (Thargomindah, Qld in particular) the forecast is for hot dry weather, smoke haze, strong winds, with a chance of fire elementals in the 4 to 6 hit dice range.

Attachment 41351

Okay technically that's a piddly little tornado (note the outdoor toilet or "dunny" on the right for scale) which is sucking up a pre-existing bushfire. I've seen things like this in bushfire footage fairly often. Without the fire we'd call it a willy-willy. With the fire, I don't know if it has a common name. Fire tornado? Firenado? Firespout? Fire devil? Firewilly? :lol:

first of all, that is a great picture! very dramatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 835511)
willy willy, huh? We'd probably call that a dust devil.

Don't think we have a name for it when it's sucking on a fire.

"sucking on a fire"... I see atmospheric phenomena like this from time to time, (never on fire though) and I always think about where and how the flow is moving. this is how I see it and understand it.

When you take a bath, and you pull the plug from the drain, the water swirls and forms a cone, right? same thing's happening in a tornado or a hurricane or a firewilly. In the bath, there's a layer of heavy dense water above a layer of light less dense air. In their struggle to swap positions, the water swirls downward and leaves a tube through which the air may swirl upward.

That's exactly what we're seeing here. The hot air around the burning ground and brush is less dense than the cooler air layer above and it wants to rise as the cooler air wants to press downward. The easiest way to do this is to swirl and the fiery air can now flow up and away from the pressure of the layer above. Same thing in a tornado. Warm air near the ground, colder stormy air above, when they try to swap, they do so in a swirl, a tornado.

Most times, you can't see the funnel of air, unless there's something in it like dust or in this case, fire. Very cool picture!

Gravdigr 10-24-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Firewilly?

It's definitely not firewilly.

I had firewilly once. Doc gave me a cream for it.

Big Sarge 10-24-2012 05:10 PM

Minus the fire, we call them "Dust Devils". With the fire, I think we call them, "Oh-Shit!!!!!".

ZenGum 10-24-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 835582)
It's definitely not firewilly.

I had firewilly once. Doc gave me a cream for it.

Yeah, but you probably didn't need four refills. ;)

Lamplighter 11-12-2012 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh to be in Venice...

ABC News
11/12/12

Venice Floods
Venice Floods as Torrential Rain Hits the City

Link above has many pics...

Griff 11-13-2012 05:50 AM

Snow this morning 1"+.

Trilby 11-13-2012 06:08 AM

cold but gonna be sunny so put on a happy face.

BigV 11-19-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Attachment 41351

Apparently, a local expert, Rick McCrae distinguishes this apparition as a fire whirl, attached to the ground, and not a fire tornado, which would be attached to the underside of a thundercloud.

ZenGum 11-29-2012 06:07 PM

I just came here to post the ABC's story on that. :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-1...ornado/4380252

I was in Canberra when that fire happened. I was living in a student residence on campus. I stepped out of my room to go shopping late morning, and noticed half the sky was BLACK from smoke, which was drifting kinda in our direction.

It occurred to me that (a) I was the chief fire warden of the college, (b) although we had a plan for a fire in the building, we didn't have a bushfire plan, (c) between the fire and our location was a big mountain covered in bush that hadn't been burned for twenty years, and there are more trees on campus than students. Uuh-ohh.

Luckily, I grew up pretty bushfire-savvy, so I spent the next three hours puling a bushfire plan out of my ear, got all the 36 hoses set up to cover the whole building, planned command structure, recruited volunteer firecrew from the residents, and everything. Later, the uni fire safety officer approved all this and it became the college's bushfire plan.

Even luckier, the fire stayed to the south west and didn't get within 10 km of us, but we were getting burned leaves drifting out of the sky. They had cooled enough to not start any spot fires, but it was an uncomfortable evening.

Our office manager's house was under direct attack. They lost the garden but saved the building. She never came back to work, that I knew of.

Nature can be a real mo-fo sometimes.

BigV 11-29-2012 07:11 PM

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

busterb 12-26-2012 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well look as this .Deep in Dixie.

sexobon 12-28-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 845420)
Well look as this .Deep in Dixie.

Cold times there are not forgotten.

Trilby 12-30-2012 05:08 AM

effing snow here. And no sons to dig me out.

Life gives you sons and then, just when you can use them for REAL work, they run off with Ben-Gal cheerleaders....ingrates.

orthodoc 12-30-2012 07:42 AM

Plenty of snow here, too, coming down hard enough to make the woods look like a Robert Frost poem. Which winter storm are we on, again? Seems to me like it's been one continuous blow.

Griff 12-30-2012 08:09 AM

Excellent X-Country skiing here. I had to fix a mechanical on the tractor's snowblower yesterday and I have no replacement shear bolt...

glatt 12-30-2012 12:11 PM

Just use a regular bolt. ;)

And cross your fingers that you don't hit anything solid.