The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Impeding changes to our Health Care system (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16747)

classicman 09-17-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 595461)
It's a waste of time to talk about "what if" in a book...

...if it disagrees with you. End of discussion.

Undertoad 09-17-2009 05:17 PM

It's important to understand the statistics, because if they only get worse under whatever system you prefer, the system you prefer will be dismantled, or changed to something you don't prefer.

jinx 09-17-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 595436)
Read the sequence of posts. IF The Mercenary wasn't saying that VA was good, then his post was a complete non sequitur.

a) Government can't do anything right
b) Mentions VA
a) Yeah, but people who get VA earned it

Read it again HM.

a) Govt can't do anything right
b) sugarpop mentions that Merc works in and receives government run health care
c) Merc points out that it is earned not given out for free

If you're suggesting that "Yeah, but" is some ringing endorsement of the quality of govt run health care - you're really reaching.

Radar 09-17-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 595468)
...if it disagrees with you. End of discussion.

No. Because "what if" isn't real. It's a pipe dream. I prefer to deal with reality and think we should use what has a proven track record of success like the system in the UK.

TheMercenary 09-18-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 595436)
Read the sequence of posts. IF The Mercenary wasn't saying that VA was good, then his post was a complete non sequitur.

a) Government can't do anything right
b) Mentions VA
a) Yeah, but people who get VA earned it

It wouldn't be the first time TheMercenary responded with a non sequitur, but I like to start out assuming that responses are actually responding to the post they quote.

I never once brought the VA into the disussion, Sugarpop did that. I responded to her post that the VA was a form of socialized medicine. I did not use it to support or refute what the current system is, or is not. The VA system is like any other huge government run system, some elements work, some do not, some are good, others are not.

classicman 09-18-2009 01:22 PM

Ohhhh, and about those illegal immigrants that aren't being covered.....
Quote:

President Obama said this week that his health care plan won't cover illegal immigrants, but argued that's all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.

He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered - a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.

Mr. Obama added, "If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all."
So with a wave of his hand they become legal. The issue is less about whether you think there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant (Radar) or whether you want them all to leave or go thru the process of becoming legal. The issue is more about the deception of stating that illegals won't be covered and then just "POOF" making them all legal. This is not the openness and honesty I expected. This is simply more wordsmanship by another lying politician.

Happy Monkey 09-18-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 595492)
c) Merc points out that it is earned not given out for free

Which is irrelevant. sugarpop said he got government run medicine, not free medicine. And sugarpop was responding to a post that the government can't run anything.

So I guess we're going with non sequitur.

Happy Monkey 09-18-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 595531)
I never once brought the VA into the disussion, Sugarpop did that.

Sugarpop is b) in my quote.

Spexxvet 09-18-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 595617)
So with a wave of his hand they become legal... then just "POOF" making them all legal....

How the hell did you get that from your quote?

classicman 09-18-2009 01:59 PM

with a wave of MY hand :)

This is politics ya know. Truth need not enter into the discussion.

Redux 09-18-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 595649)
with a wave of MY hand :)

This is politics ya know. Truth need not enter into the discussion.

Or, if you are Joe Wilson, two months before you call the president a liar, you can introduce legislation to gain permanent resident status for an illegal immigrant named Sainey H. Fatty, who has been working in your district for several years.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h111-3194

TheMercenary 09-18-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 595621)
Which is irrelevant. sugarpop said he got government run medicine, not free medicine. And sugarpop was responding to a post that the government can't run anything.

So I guess we're going with non sequitur.

Are you a retard?

She was speaking to when I was on active duty, I do not receive medical care from the VA. It is not free medicine. People who get medical care in the military or from the VA get it as a condition and part of a contract they make with the military. If you would like to join up and have the same benefit after you pay your dues I am sure that someone could look into that for you, if you can make the grade. It is nothing of the sort of a non sequitur. But you are starting to make me think that you have some kind of problem understanding the difference between benefits after a contractual obligation and something that people get for nothing more than popping out some group of spawn from numerous unkown babies daddies. There is a huge difference. One group gets their care for free, one gets it after the delivery of and in the performance of a mutual contractual agreement between two parties. Get it?

TheMercenary 09-18-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 595693)
Or, if you are Joe Wilson, two months before you call the president a liar, you can introduce legislation to gain permanent resident status for an illegal immigrant named Sainey H. Fatty, who has been working in your district for several years.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h111-3194

Or you could just work for that criminal organization ACORN and tell them anything you want to get the job done.

Redux 09-18-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 595695)
Or you could just work for that criminal organization ACORN and tell them anything you want to get the job done.

ACORN cannot introduce legislation in Congress.

TheMercenary 09-18-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 595697)
ACORN cannot introduce legislation in Congress.

Thank fucking God for one small thing they can't taint in our legislative process...