The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cool Weapons (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22030)

footfootfoot 01-11-2015 12:38 AM

I just watched the movie Fury, about a WWII tank crew and was reminded of a question I'd had since I was a kid.
When the tanks were in a battle three of them got blown up or disabled during the battle and after there was a brief break before the surviving tanks took off.

I could see leaving the dead behind for others to retrieve or bury since they were on the go and in a hurry, but wouldn't they have picked up the other tanks' shells and ammo to re-stock their own tanks?

It seemed odd to me that they'd just leave weapons on the ground and move on.

sexobon 01-11-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 918732)
I just watched the movie Fury, about a WWII tank crew and was reminded of a question I'd had since I was a kid. ...

Tanks, for the memories ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 918732)
... When the tanks were in a battle three of them got blown up or disabled during the battle and after there was a brief break before the surviving tanks took off.

I could see leaving the dead behind for others to retrieve or bury since they were on the go and in a hurry, but wouldn't they have picked up the other tanks' shells and ammo to re-stock their own tanks?

It seemed odd to me that they'd just leave weapons on the ground and move on.

I wouldn't want to stake my survival in the next battle on ammo that may be damaged enough to jam the gun; unless, that was my only option. There're a lot of variables in your synopsis; but, I'd probably want metallurgy stress checks first.

zippyt 01-11-2015 10:51 AM

Yeah but semi busted ammo is better than NO Ammo

sexobon 01-11-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 918735)
... I wouldn't want to stake my survival in the next battle on ammo that may be damaged enough to jam the gun; unless, that was my only option. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 918758)
Yeah but semi busted ammo is better than NO Ammo

That's what "... unless, that was my only option. ..." means.

If they're leaving questionable ammo behind on the battlefield, it means they have adequate resupply.

footfootfoot 01-11-2015 12:18 PM

Well, in the movie, in their next battle they run out. I get your point about questionable ammo, but there were clearly intact ammo boxes for the .50, and I imagine the shells inside the tank might have at least been checked, or the clips from the belts of the dead.

And why leave guns on the ground? Wouldn't that just leave a weapon that the enemy could use against you if they picked it up?

Maybe I'm just too much of a scavenger.

sexobon 01-11-2015 01:04 PM

I didn't see the movie and as I said, there were too many variables left from your synopsis. The gist of it seems to be that battlefield recovery operations isn't a big box office draw; so, you can't believe everything the way Hollywood portrays it.

footfootfoot 01-11-2015 01:05 PM

No, but what you are saying is that IRL, shit is just left behind?

sexobon 01-11-2015 01:13 PM

Tactical situation permitting, it's recovered; or, destroyed in place before it's simply abandoned.

footfootfoot 01-11-2015 01:21 PM

Thanks! That's what I've been wondering.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2015 02:05 PM

In the movies I've seen, when a tank is put out of action it's usually burning/exploding, someplace you don't want to have a go-look-see. Even tanks disabled by blowing a tread off, were then finished off so they couldn't keep shooting. But maybe I subscribe to a better class of movies. :haha:

footfootfoot 01-11-2015 03:21 PM

Apparently there was a lot of off-camera action in this film.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2015 10:03 PM

War is not contained in a sound stage, there's no way to see everything going on. So the camera follows the action that blows the directors skirt up and, the rest just contributes to the sound track. :fuse:

Griff 01-12-2015 05:55 PM

But was the movie any good?

Gravdigr 01-12-2015 06:04 PM

Spoiler Alert™:

We win the war.

xoxoxoBruce 01-12-2015 08:30 PM

It was great Griff, no boring time outs to retrieve anything.
Yes, we won, but it was a surprise ending... Boom, Big Bada Boom.