The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

classicman 05-11-2010 10:05 AM

lol - and I really tried not to have that misinterpret-able.

xoxoxoBruce 05-11-2010 08:17 PM

It was, but not unpunable.

classicman 05-13-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Checks, bills and even a college acceptance letter from 2007 were among 20,000 letters found inside the garage of a Philadelphia postal carrier.

When the mailman missed several days of work in April, postal officials went to his Port Richmond home and found tubs and tubs of undelivered and unopened mail.

The postal worker, who has yet to be identified, worked out of the Bustleton station in Northeast Philadelphia. The neighborhood most impacted is located near Castor Avenue and Benton Street.

One of those affected was desperate to receive a $900 check in December 2007. The letter just arrived on Thursday.

"I got mail today from 2007. Paychecks, things like that that I needed. Stuff from the Social Security Administration, I.R.S.," resident Kevin Carpenter said.

Carpenter asked the worker he knew as "Dave the mailman" to be on the lookout for the check.

"I asked Dave and Dave said he hadn't seen it, but as soon as he got it, he would call me," Carpenter explained.

Some of mail found in the postal carrier's home dated back to 1997.

One of the letters that was undelivered was a 2007 acceptance letter from West Chester University. The recipient, who received the letter on Thursday, is now a senior in college.

Investigators have yet to question the mailman because they have not been able to locate him.

However, delaying mail and stealing mail are both federal offenses.

Nirvana 05-13-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 655407)
This youth you had, what was he enhanced with?

Why is Sheldon using Zen's name? :eek: :eyebrow:

Gravdigr 05-14-2010 12:16 PM

Jupiter Lost A Stripe

1 Attachment(s)
Jupiter Loses A Stripe

TheMercenary 05-15-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

I Have The Pu$$y So I Go To Jail
May 9, 2010 | 1 Comment
Chicago Breaking News has a story up about a woman who was thrown in jail for two days for contempt of court because of the shirt she was wearing.

LaPenta said she wore the shirt to the gym for a workout and was asked by a friend to drive her to the courthouse in Waukegan so the friend could settle some minor traffic tickets. It wasn’t long after she sat down that Rozenberg summoned her to the front of the courtroom and asked about the slogan [on her shirt].

What was on the shirt? The words, “I have the pu$$y so I make the rules”

It might be stupid to wear that shirt in a courtroom, but to revoke an otherwise law abiding citizen’s freedom over it, when the person in question wasn’t even in the court that day for anything she had done? That just seems excessive.

The ironic part of the story is that the judge, Helen Rozenberg, is a woman. Ms. Rozenberg sending Ms. LaPenta to jail for wearing that shirt doesn’t exactly contradict the message of the apparel in question.

Clodfobble 05-15-2010 06:11 PM

Surely, surely the woman copped an attitude once the shirt was under discussion. Or refused to leave the courtroom. Or something that actually qualifies as contempt of court under any rational meaning of the words.

TheMercenary 05-15-2010 06:14 PM

We could ask glatt but I am sure that contempt is anything the Judge wants it to be, do what they say or they can hold you for contempt. The punch line at the end was funny and thought provoking. :)

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2010 07:23 PM

I agree, just entering the fiefdom courtroom, with inappropriate attire, can get you in a world of hurt.

squirell nutkin 05-15-2010 08:50 PM

Yeah, court is kind of like a "Church of 'The Rules.'"

Stand up, sit down, Stand up, sit down. swear on the bible. etc. etc.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2010 10:55 PM

And the power.

squirell nutkin 05-16-2010 07:38 PM

and the glory for ever and ever...

xoxoxoBruce 05-16-2010 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Amen.

classicman 05-18-2010 10:02 AM

Mass. man accused of trying to swap baby for beers
Quote:

Authorities say a Massachusetts man offered to give his 3-month-old daughter to a maintenance man outside a gas station convenience store in exchange for a pair of 40-ounce beers. Chicopee police say 24-year-old Matthew Brace of Northampton made the offer on Monday. The maintenance man called police, who found Brace hiding with the girl behind a trash container. State child welfare officials took the baby into custody.
Police say Brace was not arrested but will be summoned to court to face a charge of reckless endangerment of a child. The child's mother was in the store at the time buying cigarettes. She has not been charged.

GunMaster357 05-18-2010 10:34 AM

Was he drunk ?

However hard I'm trying, I cannot understand why people do that kind of things...