The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

skysidhe 04-18-2010 11:06 PM

I've been wanting to see the new Land of The Lost. Maybe I'll but that in my movie queue. I like the Star Trek too. Saw that at the theater.

Gravdigr 04-19-2010 02:59 AM

A couple days ago I watched 'Boondock Saints 1 & 2". Great movies. Both of 'em.

Shawnee123 04-19-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 649897)
To Kill a Mockingbird. It is still a great movie, though it was funny how it was always windy and autumn in every shot of Boo Radley's porch

It's one of my very favorites. I want to marry Atticus.

TheMercenary 04-26-2010 09:12 PM

For our Brit friends..

I just finished watchin 1000 hours (10 episodes - 100 hours each) of Foyle's War. I bought the 5 season set and got through the first 2.+ episodes. I love it!

I am hooked. 2+ to go!

Are you familiar?

DigitalNonsenseReadr 04-27-2010 12:52 AM

It is so captivating that minutes seem like hours, eh Merc...

Gravdigr 04-27-2010 01:17 AM

Watched a bootleg of "Clash of the Titans". Meh.:neutral:

And "She's Out of My League", :turd:

DanaC 04-27-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 651813)
For our Brit friends..

I just finished watchin 1000 hours (10 episodes - 100 hours each) of Foyle's War. I bought the 5 season set and got through the first 2.+ episodes. I love it!

I am hooked. 2+ to go!

Are you familiar?

Certainly am:P It's not a show i ever got into, but my Dad loved it. I may at some point revisit it and watch the first series; see if it catches me.

wolf 04-27-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 649884)
The last freaking episode of Twin Peaks just pissed me off. I mean, I am not one to need all ends tied into a neat little bow, but good lord give me something!

Don't forget Fire Walk with Me.

You're not done until you see it.

Shawnee123 04-27-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 652019)
Don't forget Fire Walk with Me.

You're not done until you see it.

I keep meaning to put it in my queue. Is my darling Agent Cooper featured in the movie as well? When developing that character, they must have asked some smart women what would be an awesome man: quirky, smart, sexy, in shape (not a tub o' pasty man), calm, cool, and gorgeous (the dark hair and eyes don't hurt me any, either)! Swoonage! :)

Pete Zicato 04-27-2010 03:06 PM

We watched the new Sherlock Holmes movie at the Zicato household. It's not faithful to the books, but still a nicely done movie - if you think of it as something reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes.

capnhowdy 04-27-2010 07:01 PM

I loved Sherlock Holmes. Turned Pirate Radio off in the first 20 mins.... Loved Clooney in Men Who Stare at Goats. Hachi made us weep. Bitterly.

Damn dog movies. Gotta love em.

Shawnee123 04-29-2010 12:59 PM

I watched Network yesterday. I think wolf had recommended it either here or on netflix, and I realized I had never seen it. (I apologize if I am mis-remembering.)

Anyway...yeah, what a great movie. It's a classic, and I'm glad I finally saw it.

I have Fire Walk With Me on its way, to finish my Twin Peaks obsession (always late to the party, that's me!)

TheMercenary 04-29-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 651919)
Certainly am:P It's not a show i ever got into, but my Dad loved it. I may at some point revisit it and watch the first series; see if it catches me.

It did take me the first 4 or 5 episodes to get into the charaters, and learn an appreciation for their quirks and personality developments. But by the second series I was hooked. Now I am parsing it out. I have finished series 1 -3 and just started series 4. It goes in chronological order from 1940 and on during WW2 in the UK and gives a great setting of what the average people were going through (not that I have any idea of what that was but it is cool anyway).

The principle is a detective carrying on with the business of police work in the face of a greater threat and the stories are intertwined. Fantastic.

wolf 05-15-2010 06:42 PM

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Little Irish movie about how the IRA began. Very dramatic, gripping, even. Irish guy at work, totally out of the blue, blurted, "You need to see this movie!" and loaned his copy to me.

Shawnee123 05-16-2010 09:33 AM

I just watched The Magdalene Sisters.
Quote:

The Magdalene Sisters is a 2002 film written and directed by Peter Mullan about teenage girls who were sent to Magdalene Asylums, otherwise known as the 'Magdalen Laundries': homes for women who were labeled as "fallen" by their families or society (though the film itself questions this). The homes were maintained by individual religious orders in the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland.

Peter Mullan has remarked that the film was initially made because victims of Magdalene Asylums had received no closure in the form of recognition, compensation, or apology, and many remained lifelong devout Catholics.[2] Former Magdalen inmate Mary-Jo McDonagh told Mullan that the reality of the Magdalene Asylums was much worse than depicted in the film.[3] In May, 2009, an Irish government Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse released a 2000 page report (the "Ryan report") detailing thousands of cases of often horrific abuse in many schools, although the scope of the investigation excluded the Magdalene Asylums.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

Riveting movie.