The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hello Jim (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21901)

DanaC 01-21-2010 04:36 PM

I've been mulling over this thread. The idea of the squirrel being killed is something I find mildly upsetting. But I suspect had it been a rat we were discussing; I probably wouldn't have found the idea so upsetting. I have no idea why that'd be the case; because I quite like rats as creatures, as long as they don't make their presence felt in my home.

I guess I just don't think of squirrels as 'vermin'.

classicman 01-21-2010 04:38 PM

I gots me a Cuisinart and a new pie plate.

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2010 04:42 PM

Perfect that recipe, there's millions of children starving in Africa

SamIam 01-21-2010 06:44 PM

There you go, LJ. Ship the squirrel to Arrica. It'll never find its way back from there, and you can write the shipping cost off as a charitable contribution.

jinx 01-21-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 628939)
I guess I just don't think of squirrels as 'vermin'.

Let me know how you feel about it when one starts shitting in your house eh?

capnhowdy 01-21-2010 07:25 PM

I love me some squirrel hunting. Why can I NEVER spell that?

DanaC 01-22-2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 628982)
Let me know how you feel about it when one starts shitting in your house eh?

*chuckles* good point. I've never actually come across them indoors before. They're all over the place outdoors. In the woods, in the university campus. My nieces rescued one last year. Called Darwin. Very friendly.

Mainly I think of them as things Pilau likes to chase when we're in the woods:P

TheMercenary 01-22-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 628976)
There you go, LJ. Ship the squirrel to Arrica. It'll never find its way back from there, and you can write the shipping cost off as a charitable contribution.

Hell, ship it down here, people eat them all the time. On second thought I will just send you a receipe.

monster 01-22-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 629076)
*chuckles* good point. I've never actually come across them indoors before. They're all over the place outdoors. In the woods, in the university campus. My nieces rescued one last year. Called Darwin. Very friendly.

Mainly I think of them as things Pilau likes to chase when we're in the woods:P

Trying to persuade an animal rescue center here to accept a squirrel would be like taking a slug to the RSPCA. There are many, many more squirrels here. You can't go 5 yards in a town without finding one dead on the road. Srsly.

monster 01-22-2010 09:33 AM

Is squirrel bacon any good?

DanaC 01-22-2010 09:45 AM

That's interesting. Would you say your view of squirrels has changed since going to America then?

You probably grew up with Squirrel Nutkin and the squirrel in the road safety vids, like I did. Over here, I think they're viewed less as pests (though there's quite a lot of anomosity towards the grey squirrel, for ousting our beloved British red squirrel).

[eta] Tufty! I've been trying to remember the name of that road safety squirrel. It was Tufty!

monster 01-22-2010 10:00 AM

Well Birmingham is a little overrun with them, our cats used to catch squirrels in the UK and bring them in through the catflap, and they used to attack us in the park so I wasn't overly fond of them there either. Currently I don't have any in my house and these cats haven't managed to catch one yet, but they're as common as birds, at any given time I can go out in my backyard and see half a dozen, and they're so common squished on the road that notbody says "aw" when they see squirrel corpse. They often cross roads on the overhead cables. and the fuckers dig up my garden and bury nuts in my flower pots. and steal my veggies and eat my sunflowers. bastards. yes i like them less. and the road safety squirrel was an annoying goody-two-shoes iirc

monster 01-22-2010 10:01 AM

...but I'm real glad we don't step on slugs in the living room anymore. That was nasty.

DanaC 01-22-2010 10:02 AM

*shudders*

When I come downstairs in the morning I often find the little silvery trails coming under my front door and going across the kitchen/vestibule and under the cooker.

monster 01-22-2010 10:02 AM

by the way, the squirrels in Michigan are the size of cats.