The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Politicians who are legitimately stupid rarely get elected. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27907)

tw 08-22-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 825749)
... a statement that deserves no second thought beyond "this Akin guy is stupid and dangerous and a misogynist."

But that is mostly less relevant. We know that an adult who still thinks like a child automatically believes what he is told. Therefore children are more often recruited to do things that are stupid or unreasonable. The word 'brainwashing' is simply another description. That person then seeks 'proof' to justify his ideology or feelings. Meanwhile an adult learns facts and numbers. Then uses that knowledge to obtain a conclusion. Also called reasoning.

So what does that say about Akin? Well proven science says his ideological beliefs are wrong. Why then did he also reiterate hearsay(also called junk science) to justify his political agenda? Is he an adult who knows from facts and logical reasoning? Or a child who only recites what the 'powers that be' told him to believe.

Children know mostly from memory - what they were told. Adults use part of the brain that forms after the age of 16. And therefore learn why knowledge from hearsay or observation is bogus.

Reveiw the science. Statistics suggest that women are more likely to become pregnant from sex that occurs during greater emotion. That applies both to rape and to illicit sex (martial cheating). Yes, the pretty boy lover is more often likely to get a wife pregnant than the husband. So why did Congressman Akins recite a conclusion without first learning science? What does he use to make conclusions? Logical reasoning or ideology from the political agenda?

His actions suggest brainwashing by a political agenda has more relevance than facts, science, and numbers. So, does he think like an adult? Or does he recite hearsay and soundbytes like an adult who still thinks like a child?

infinite monkey 08-22-2012 02:58 PM

I don't know. In which instance might I get to punch him in his stoopid face? ;)

footfootfoot 08-22-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 825825)
I don't know. In which instance might I get to punch him in his stoopid face? ;)

Dress up like a fawning conservative bible belt page girl and apply to work on his campaign. You might get a number of chances to do that.;)

infinite monkey 08-22-2012 03:16 PM

I'm an accomplished actress, yes, but I don't think even I could pull off that role. ;)

DanaC 08-22-2012 03:27 PM

'So hey, whatever happened to Infi?'

'What you didn't hear about that? She went off to pretend to be a bible-belt religious conservative activist, and fell through a gap in reality. It was brutal.'

infinite monkey 08-22-2012 03:29 PM

'Yeah, I heard her head exploded and some new universe was created.'

BigV 08-22-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 825803)
But that is mostly less relevant. We know that an adult who still thinks like a child automatically believes what he is told. Therefore children are more often recruited to do things that are stupid or unreasonable. The word 'brainwashing' is simply another description. That person then seeks 'proof' to justify his ideology or feelings. Meanwhile an adult learns facts and numbers. Then uses that knowledge to obtain a conclusion. Also called reasoning.

So what does that say about Akin? Well proven science says his ideological beliefs are wrong. Why then did he also reiterate hearsay(also called junk science) to justify his political agenda? Is he an adult who knows from facts and logical reasoning? Or a child who only recites what the 'powers that be' told him to believe.

Children know mostly from memory - what they were told. Adults use part of the brain that forms after the age of 16. And therefore learn why knowledge from hearsay or observation is bogus.

Reveiw the science. Statistics suggest that women are more likely to become pregnant from sex that occurs during greater emotion. That applies both to rape and to illicit sex (martial cheating). Yes, the pretty boy lover is more often likely to get a wife pregnant than the husband. So why did Congressman Akins recite a conclusion without first learning science? What does he use to make conclusions? Logical reasoning or ideology from the political agenda?

His actions suggest brainwashing by a political agenda has more relevance than facts, science, and numbers. So, does he think like an adult? Or does he recite hearsay and soundbytes like an adult who still thinks like a child?

If you're an adult, you'll provide a cite for this statement. Otherwise, I'll consider it ideology/brainwashing/hearsay/junk science soundbite from someone who thinks like a child.

DanaC 08-22-2012 03:55 PM

You'd be amazed how many of our cultures' assumptions about gender originate with that medieval misundrstanding of female organs. Many of the others originate with the next great scientific misunderstanding which followed on from that during the European enlightenment.

Ibby 08-22-2012 05:42 PM

Akin is in a position to MAYBE win, but it's looking grim for him. But the state's demographics strongly favor a Republican win.
Akin has until Sept. 25 to drop out of the race. He hasn't said "no way" yet, but he seems extremely reluctant, in spite of the national party apparatus throwing him under the bus.
If he DOES drop out, there's a very good chance that the GOP could nominate someone with a much better shot, less tainted by the controversy.
If the democrats know what's good for 'em, they're gonna "rope-a-dope" for a while, let Akin's narrow lead hang around until AFTER the deadline, THEN hit him with everything they've got after there's nobody else the GOP can replace him with.

Ibby 08-22-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibby (Post 825881)
Akin is in a position to MAYBE win, but it's looking grim for him. But the state's demographics strongly favor a Republican win.
Akin has until Sept. 25 to drop out of the race. He hasn't said "no way" yet, but he seems extremely reluctant, in spite of the national party apparatus throwing him under the bus.
If he DOES drop out, there's a very good chance that the GOP could nominate someone with a much better shot, less tainted by the controversy.
If the democrats know what's good for 'em, they're gonna "rope-a-dope" for a while, let Akin's narrow lead hang around until AFTER the deadline, THEN hit him with everything they've got after there's nobody else the GOP can replace him with.

too late to edit - I posted this without seeing that there was a page 2 (with 60 posts per page that is), hence the non-sequitur-ness. still relevant, thread drift notwithstanding.

Happy Monkey 08-27-2012 03:26 PM

We've got another one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Mark Scolforo, Associated Press: How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?

Smith: I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn’t have to.. she chose they way I thought. No don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rape.

Scolforo: Similar how?

Smith: Uh, having a baby out of wedlock.

Scolforo: That’s similar to rape?

Smith: No, no, no, but… put yourself in a father’s situation, yes. It is similar. But, back to the original, I’m pro-life, period.

infinite monkey 08-27-2012 03:30 PM

How stupid are pasty old white guys trying to look?

They're doing a bang-up job, for sure.

Happy Monkey 08-27-2012 03:40 PM

Problem 1: Child-out-of-wedlock is similar to rape.

Problem 2: I'm glad my daughter made a choice I agree with, but I wish I could have forced her to if she hadn't.

ETA: Though it looks like he's not going to disprove this thread's title.

ZenGum 08-28-2012 09:54 PM

Seriously, America, I think it's time you went to see the school counselor.

infinite monkey 08-28-2012 10:29 PM

Dear Zen,

Please excuse the regular kids in the class. Our dog ate our homework.

Signed,

Epstein's mother