The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Latest Terrorist attempt (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21731)

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 621536)
They just don't get it, this is a national issue and most Americans are tired of everything in Washington being about party platforms and ideology and partisan politics. I'm 53 and I've never seen this land so polarized politically. Maybe we just need Klaatu and his robot, Gort to pay Earth a visit and give us a good lecture! ;)

Hear Hear. Or is it here here? Dat true, anyway. :thumb:

Shawnee123 12-29-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 621555)
whom vs. who
and
upon vs. on
are mine . . . reasons 2,564,389 and 2,564,390 that I hate grammar

Another peeve: into vs. to. For instance, he went in the house. No, he went INTO the house. If he went in the house, he did the act of "going" (went) inside the house where he already was. He basically just pissed in the corner of your living room. There are many examples of into vs to...it makes my ears bleed. I see it in professional publications all the time.

classicman 12-29-2009 04:59 PM

great, now I can add another to my list!

Griff 12-29-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 621570)
Another peeve: into vs. to. For instance, he went in the house. No, he went INTO the house. If he went in the house, he did the act of "going" (went) inside the house where he already was. He basically just pissed in the corner of your living room. There are many examples of into vs to...it makes my ears bleed. I see it in professional publications all the time.

Wait, who urinated in the house?

DanaC 12-29-2009 05:27 PM

Classicman. You just can't take him anywhere *sighs*

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2009 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Gizmodo.

Shawnee123 12-29-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 621577)
Wait, who urinated in the house?

He! He was the one. He went in the house, he does it all the time. Damn he.

jinx 12-29-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 621454)
I don't think so, but I don't really know. It seems to me that "to be" became part of our vernacular, and we're used to hearing it that way, but the sentence is fine without it. I've been wrong before, though. (shhhhh)

I disagree. If you're going to omit the verb of being you should use the present participle not the past. Needs enlightening vs needs to be enlightened.
It's a regional thing though, my room mate from mid/western PA didn't use 'to be' either. The thing that really bugged me though, was when she would say "The car needs washed" she would say "warshed".

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2009 10:33 PM

Ah, that's different. It's perfectly acceptable to say, "The car needs warshed", in fact it might be mandatory. :haha:

SamIam 12-29-2009 10:42 PM

Grammar terrorism. Accck! :thepain:

gvidas 12-29-2009 11:47 PM

I can't tell if it's the bias of the media I soak up, or an actually reasonable reading of the climate right now, but I get a sense that people are sick of suffering so much of a headache going through airport security when it so completely failed.

I'm getting optimistic that we might roll back some of the more unproductive security measures and focus in on the few that really work. Trade some of our illusory security for that liberty we hocked back in '01.

But I don't watch TV. Is it just my bubble?

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2009 03:03 AM

I think you're right, gvidas, people are fed up with the bullshit, and attitudes of these self important assholes in the airport. I wonder how much of the population actually fly. I don't, because I don't have to, but would if it weren't such a hassle. Plus I can be all smug about not creating a larger carbon footprint by flying. :haha:

Shawnee123 12-30-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 621593)
I disagree. If you're going to omit the verb of being you should use the present participle not the past. Needs enlightening vs needs to be enlightened.
It's a regional thing though, my room mate from mid/western PA didn't use 'to be' either. The thing that really bugged me though, was when she would say "The car needs washed" she would say "warshed".

That sounds right, though. Ugh, in my head, I hate to add "to be."

Etre!

(My grandma used to say feesh for fish.) Definitely some regional differences.

Spexxvet 12-30-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 621698)
That sounds right, though. Ugh, in my head, I hate to add "to be."

Etre!

My pet peeve is when someone says "try and" instead of "try to".

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 621580)

Somebody needs to do a break even analysis to determine exactly how much we should spend to save how much infrastructure and/or lives.

classicman 12-30-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 621698)
Ugh, in my head, I hate to add "to be."

I'm just the opposite, when I hear it without the "to be" its like nails on a chalkboard. <shrug>
Quote:

My grandma used to say sang-witch for sandwich.