The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 25, 2010: Kitty's 9th Life (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23017)

Sundae 06-30-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 667396)
Well, let me tell you, the time that I found my dog (whom I had literally raised from birth

Does this mean picking it up after it's born?

Pete Zicato 06-30-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 667396)
When I say "That's life" I MEAN IT goddamnit. THAT. IS. LIFE. If you don't want to accept that then you are choosing to be ignorant. The end.

Well, everything is life, isn't it. Unless a picture is 'shopped, it's life.

Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?

BTW, I'm _not_ saying you should or shouldn't find this particular picture repugnant. Just trying to ascertain whether anything pictured would push your buttons and where the line would be for you.

Gravdigr 06-30-2010 02:48 PM

He prolly don't have no buttons. Buttons are for pussies. Prolly.

classicman 06-30-2010 03:21 PM

Flintz got stix not buttons - duh!

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 667621)
Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?

If you (not pete) find this or any other picture repugnant, move on. Don't piss and moan about how you've been personally assaulted... it's NOT about you.

classicman 07-01-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 667791)
It's NOT about you.

Damn right bruce! Its all about the kitty! and sometimes the kitty wins.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rattler3-1.jpg

Flint 07-01-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adak (Post 667500)
No doubt that it is our reality, Flint. That reality's effect on us is definitely on a sliding scale, however. No one is going to be strongly shocked by a carrot or head of lettuce, hanging from a constrictor's tight coils.

When it's a pet, it's a lot more affecting, of course. If it were your child, or spouse, the effect would be incredibly strong.

It's a natural reaction to help us remember "snake's coils are deadly", and stay safe.

Inferences of mental health based on the person's sensitivity to that stimuli, are unfounded. As you've shown, that sensitivity will change, depending on their exposure to it.

Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.

toranokaze 07-01-2010 02:47 PM

This has been a long time coming:

Since the cat is already hung proceed to smoke and dry until jerked
Sever room temp. with light garnish.

squirell nutkin 07-01-2010 03:17 PM

You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.

Gravdigr 07-01-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 667944)
Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.

All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.:sniff:

I'm done with this.....................................................................now.

Flint 07-01-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 668051)
All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.:sniff:

I'm done with this.....................................................................now.

What you aren't understanding is that I have already been through this, and come out the other side. I'm not interested in going backwards...

Jilly 07-03-2010 08:01 PM

Wow people. How many dead animals do you pass on the road in a week. And thats live! Do you get all mushy over that? I have been a pet lover and owner all my life and I am amazed at the reaction of some people to this picture. Am I going to hang it on my living room wall? No, but come on, it is an interestesting phototgraph which is what iotd is all about. Right?

<back to lurcking>

lumberjim 07-03-2010 09:12 PM

YOU SPELLED LURKING WRONG!!!

toranokaze 07-03-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 668038)
You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.

I will have to check it out

Jilly 07-04-2010 09:39 AM

:blush:Jim, typing while drinking never one of my strong suits. Spelled interesting wrong too.