The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

DanaC 01-03-2016 02:09 PM

In reference to the previous flooding - there wasn't really much the residents could do about that. Do you think flood hit and therefore uninsurable properties sell well ? Those people are,forthe most part, pretty much stuck with what they have. Housing is very expensive in this country. We have a housing crisis at the moment. Both in terms of rocketing numbers of homeless families at the bottom end of the scale in the rented sector, and people unable to get on to the ladder for buying. The value of the houses and business premises in the flood hit towns in 2012 plummeted.

In terms of the businesses in the town centres - it would pretty much sound the death knell of every town in the Calder Valley if all the independent businesses upped sticks and left because of floods. Not to mention these are communities - people living and working, often in the same towns they were born in. Something like half the town centre was under water in Hebden and in Tod.

What needs to happen is some kind of state insurance fund for major flooding.It is not acceptable that large chunks of these towns are going to end up nonviable for business because the insurance companies had to pay out on flood insurance a couple of times in a decade.

Likewise,it would be reallyfucking great if central government would refrain from cutting the budgets for flood defence strategies in the north. That'd be champion.

As to the family who watched til it was too late to escape - in that particular case the waters rose in minutes. It was very fast.

tw 01-13-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 950420)
Likewise,it would be reallyfucking great if central government would refrain from cutting the budgets for flood defence strategies in the north.

Is structure construction required to also install flood retention basins?

glatt 01-19-2016 09:51 PM

I just saw the latest update on the weather forecast. The models are calling for up to three feet of snow here starting on Friday. We didn't have enough food for that. You need a week's worth of food if that happens here. So we just got back from a late night trip to the store. It was crowded but not as crowded as it will be tomorrow night.

Undertoad 01-19-2016 10:26 PM

Notify next of kin.

Stock the booze cabinets.

Place all Amazon Prime orders of flashlights, batteries, and tuna fish cans by tomorrow, to ensure delivery.

http://cellar.org/2015/gfs-jan2016storm.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 01-19-2016 10:36 PM

I'm disappointed, when I bought my current snowblower with a three warranty, we didn't get enough snow to bother for three years. I just paid almost half as much to have it completely refurbished and really hoped to get at least one easy winter. But the forecast says 8 to 12 Friday and 11 to 17 Saturday, with light snow Sunday. Crap. :(

Griff 01-20-2016 06:12 AM

We are willing to take your snow, make an offer. Seriously we are sitting between the lake effect running North and the coastal running SE.

fargon 01-20-2016 06:34 AM

And once again all we get is cold, you guyz on the east coast get all of our snow.

Undertoad 01-20-2016 07:00 AM

They go back and forth: some of this morning's models have us only getting a foot of snow. One of them says only 9 inches!

glatt 01-20-2016 07:41 AM

Our snow removal here isn't all that great. These big storms are so rare that it's economically foolish to buy and maintain all that equipment to prepare for them. This is both on the government level and also on the homeowner level. I don't own a snow blower. If it snowed every year, then I would splurge for one. The county has snow plows, but not enough for a 3 foot storm. There are 1,000 miles of roads to plow in this little county. Where do you even put 3 feet of snow you remove from the roads? The answer for some of it is you haul it to school parking lots and pile it up where you melt it in a snow melter.

If we get three feet of snow, the main roads will be cleared but the residential streets will be impassible for about a week. We have a grocery store a block away, which is fantastic, but it's a smaller store that very few people normally use for much more than running to get a gallon of milk. It isn't large enough to serve as the main store for all the houses in walking distance. Its shelves will be bare except for that one lonely dust covered jar of gefilte fish. The resupply trucks will have trouble restocking the store.

All this is to say that snow is fun, but 3 feet is worrysome.

Growing up in Maine, 3 feet was awesome! You had a one day snow day and then the roads were clear and you had all these huge snow piles to burrow in and make forts.

Cross your fingers for 15 inches.

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2016 08:17 AM

I'd be happy with 8 inches.... oh, you mean snow.
glatt, for years and years I used a cheap little 20" wide 2-cycle blower, I could pick up with one hand. I cleared a lot of 2 ft storms with that thing. It does an awesome job, just takes a little longer, but sure beats shoveling. The only thing it wouldn't do is by my mailbox.
The county has a set plow pattern they've used the 35 years I've been here. First the plow goes down the middle of the road rolling it toward my mail box. On the way back they push the far side back which is only a few feet, then the third pass the push every thing else toward my mailbox leaving a wall 3 to 5 ft high. It's a ways wet and packed so it freezes solid.

lumberjim 01-20-2016 08:38 AM

Today's agenda is highlighted by me putting air in the snow blower tires and starting it to make sure it's ready to go. Also a booze run, and maybe some food. I love big storms. Once.

Clodfobble 01-20-2016 10:29 AM

This is the weekend we're flying to New York to see Hamilton.

God help everyone if something goes wrong with this trip. I don't care if we're trapped inside the hotel from the moment the plane lands, I don't care if the flight home is cancelled and we stay in the airport for three days trying to get back... as long as we get to the theater on Sunday.

Undertoad 01-20-2016 11:11 AM

When is your flight scheduled to land, Friday or Saturday?

Happy Monkey 01-20-2016 12:00 PM

Luckily, I have Friday off. 3 feet is unheard of in DC. Maybe once when I was a kid; or maybe it just seemed 3 feet high because I was a kid.

Happy Monkey 01-20-2016 12:21 PM

Apparently 2006/7 had a similar pattern to 2015/6. Minus the 3 feet.