The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

Happy Monkey 02-28-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 1047491)
take-charge heroines deciding that having had no little life and career success they would now spend some concentrated effort to bag a mate, always in a heterosexual spirit;

I will Fear no Evil was heterosexual in that sex was between a male body and a female body, but the female body had a male brain. And, somehow, the woman's mind, which survived the removal of her brain, so it was housed somewhere else.

Urbane Guerrilla 02-29-2020 04:25 PM

Eh, I had misremembered the title as Double Star, oy gevalt.

Urbane Guerrilla 02-29-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1047524)
Well, yes. "There are no problems that can't be solved by a white man with a gun."

And just what call was there to inject a complexion?? Shame on ya. How do you escape leaving the impression you've only known Heinlein's works second- or third-hand, from invidious persons lacking RAH's personal virtues, and apparently resentful of them into the bargain? He knew they existed, and had some choice words for them, too. (A couple of examples stole... a donkey's gravestone.)

Really, "competent adult with etc." would have been much more accurate. Certainly less sloppy of conception.

fargon 02-29-2020 07:47 PM

:bong:

Urbane Guerrilla 03-01-2020 12:41 AM

Farg, I bet there is a biiiig bowl of buttered popcorn in your future after your big bowl of smoke.

n.b. to whom it might concern: The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress had the Lunar population as millions of convicts and descendants of convicts -- maybe into the third or fourth generation. Polyglot. Whites only? Puh-lease.

Luce 03-02-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 1047634)
And just what call was there to inject a complexion?? Shame on ya.

I am going by what he wrote, not some idealized version of what he wrote.

Carruthers 03-08-2020 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bacon saved as pig triggers blaze after eating pedometer

Attachment 69985

Quote:

A pig has sparked a fire after excreting a pedometer it had eaten.

Firefighters were deployed to the blaze covering some 75 square metres at four pens in Bramham near Leeds on Saturday afternoon.

It is thought to have been caused when the pedometer, used to prove the pigs were free range, was eaten by one of the animals.

Once "nature had taken its course", the copper from the device's batteries reacted with the contents of the pigpens causing the dry hay bedding to burst into flames, according to North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

The brigade quipped: "A hosereel was used to extinguish the fire and save the bacon."

The unusual incident led to a number of humorous hog-related responses on Twitter, with one user saying: "The cause must have come as a sowprise. Your job certainly isn't boaring."

Another wrote: "@NorthYorksFire knows how to bring the bacon home, well done lads!"

Link

tw 03-08-2020 09:39 AM

A fire marshal, who had to find the source of that fire, clearly had a dirty job.

xoxoxoBruce 03-08-2020 10:02 AM

It must have been for him to come up with that fairy tale of copper reacting with pigshit. :rolleyes:

BigV 03-08-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1048091)
It must have been for him to come up with that fairy tale of copper reacting with pigshit. :rolleyes:

Right!

Especially when you can clearly see the fire brigade responding and no coppers in sight!

Carruthers 03-08-2020 01:41 PM

Not sure that this adds much in the way of explanation but, FWIW, this is from the BBC report...

Quote:

A peckish pig who swallowed a pedometer ended up sparking a fire in its pen.

Fire crews were called to a farm near Bramham, Leeds, at about 14:00 GMT on Saturday after copper from the pedometer's batteries apparently reacted with the pig's excrement and dry bedding.

The pedometers were being used on pigs to prove they were free-range. No pigs or people were hurt in the fire.
Quote:

"Cause of fire attributed to a battery-powered pedometer carried by one of the pigs (to prove it was free-range), which was eaten by the other."

The fire service said crews were sent at about 14:00 GMT after "nature had taken its course".

Link

tw 03-09-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1048096)
Not sure that this adds much in the way of explanation but,

How did it spread to multiple sheds when each was separated by metal?

xoxoxoBruce 03-10-2020 01:06 AM

Through the straw all around them.

More likely the pedometer had a lithium battery the pig bit through sparked the blaze, but not copper.

Carruthers 03-17-2020 01:24 PM

The end of civilisation as we know it.

Quote:

Thief steals loo roll from cemetery portaloo in Berkhamsted

A team working to update Berkhamsted's cemetery have had their toilet roll stolen.

Someone broke into a portaloo at the Rectory Lane Cemetery and took the supplies.

A landscaping team working on the site arrived this morning to find the loo roll gone.

Kate Campbell wrote on Everything Berko:

"PLEASE RETURN OUR TOILET ROLLS.

"Our wonderful landscaping team in Rectory Lane Cemetery have been working hard over recent months through rain and sleet and mould to create something beautiful for the whole community to enjoy and this morning turned up to work to find that the portaloo had been broken into and all the toilet rolls taken."

We have of course seen toilet paper in short supply in recent weeks as people stock up, worried about the coronavirus.
A map is thoughtfully provided at the website so shocked readers can see for themselves the location of this most terrible and heinous crime against humanity.

LINK

May not be suitable for Dwellars of a nervous disposition. :eek:

sexobon 03-17-2020 04:04 PM

Might've been zombies … they've got brains for shit.

Urbane Guerrilla 03-20-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1047723)
I am going by what he wrote, not some idealized version of what he wrote.

No.

Bear in mind I've read every book he wrote except his first, We The Living. I don't see too many signs in your philosophy of life that you have, Luce. Now would be a fine time to display some.

richlevy 04-05-2020 02:17 PM

MSNBC just had an on-site reporter giving a report on the increasing New York death rate. Her name, Cori Coffin....

Carruthers 04-05-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 1050218)
MSNBC just had an on-site reporter giving a report on the increasing New York death rate. Her name, Cori Coffin....

Nominative determinism strikes again!

Griff 04-05-2020 02:59 PM

I just spotted richlevy!

fargon 04-05-2020 08:36 PM

Good Morning Rich.

monster 05-09-2020 09:18 PM

well that was a post worthy of a reappearance.

I just came to see if anyone wanted to participate in a knob-eating contest.

apparently there's also knob tossing (a sister thing apparently), although the Brits don't use that exact term, not sure why.....

:eek:

Urbane Guerrilla 05-20-2020 09:43 PM

So, do knobs taste like Brussels sprouts? At all?

BigV 05-20-2020 09:46 PM

Well, they're brassykinda.

Griff 05-21-2020 06:15 AM

oof

Gravdigr 09-28-2020 03:09 PM

Heroin user, pack-a-day smoker for 36 yrs, terrible diet, Hep C, 54 yrs old...

What killed him?

Nope, it was 3 weeks of licorice.

xoxoxoBruce 09-28-2020 11:11 PM

Ha ha, I'm sitting here gnawing on a piece of licorice.
It's the first piece I've had in probably 20 years.
It was in a gift box someone sent me from a place in MA.
It wasn't one of the licorice specific boxes.

sexobon 09-28-2020 11:33 PM

black licorice matters :bolt:

Gravdigr 09-28-2020 11:49 PM

Oh, that was good. Timing was even better.

Gravdigr 09-28-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1058659)
It was in a gift box someone sent me from a place in MA.

Damn, who ya gotta blow to get a fitty dolla box o'candy?:eek:

xoxoxoBruce 09-29-2020 12:22 AM

She was my first girlfriend 63 years ago.
I made a lasting impression.

glatt 09-29-2020 06:23 AM

His poor diet consisted only of several bags of candy a day, so was that a licorice restaurant that he died in?

xoxoxoBruce 09-29-2020 09:29 AM

I wonder if it was the candy store variety like Twizzlers or the real licorice?

glatt 09-29-2020 10:58 AM

Real. I read the same story a few days ago in the paper, and it said he had switched recently from Twizzlers to black licorice.

Urbane Guerrilla 10-08-2020 09:38 PM

California Governor Gavin Newsom's office tweets that when eating in public, the public should put their masks back in place between bites of food and presumably sips of their beverages.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...-between-bites

This is colossally silly. Don't hold your breath for me to report having seen anyone eating this way. Democratic Governor, into the bargain.