The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Tulip 09-09-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 677296)
I watched Kickass last night. Holy shit batman, what a great movie.

I just saw this a few days ago. Now that my nephew started school, I finally have time to sit back and watch something. I agree, it was a great movie. :)

Beest 09-15-2010 12:05 PM

Taken
Good acting, well directed action movie, but it left me wanting, I never felt he wouldn't succeed he just keeps plodding through the bad guys following a trail. Even though he's ripping through France leaving a trial of destruction and death theres no consequence, it was too fluffy and Hollywood, especially the ending.

netflix recommended Harry Brown, sounds great, Michael Caine as old soldier going for revenge against the drug gang that killed his mate.
But one of the reviewers says there's no real twist or moral dilemma, he just goes along taking them out.

I need more, mystery or moral conflict so that ultimately theres is an outcome, not just an ending.

Happy Monkey 09-15-2010 12:08 PM

I got all of Farscape in one package. I only started watching this show pretty late in its life, so I'm getting the early parts filled in. Fun show.

Spexxvet 09-15-2010 02:25 PM

Jennifer's Body.

It was funny in a Buffy way, and had an incredible lesbian kiss.

classicman 09-15-2010 03:08 PM

One of the stupidest movies ever. Not funny, not scary. just plain old dumb.

Apollo 09-15-2010 04:15 PM

Well, right now all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 are free on Netflix, so I'll be busy with that for a while...it's kind of cheesy, but like, original star trek cheesy, with crazy plots on other worlds involving alien civilizations and whatnot. I like it.

Also watching Breaking Bad, which is an INCREDIBLE show. The acting is crazy good. The story is original. I highly recommend.

glatt 09-16-2010 11:04 AM

We just started watching Braking Bad on dvd too. Great show.

wolf 09-16-2010 01:23 PM

Cribb.

British (but I don't think BBC, probably Granada) TV series, adaptations of the Sergeant Cribb mysteries by Peter Lovesey. Have only watched the first disk so far, but they have the expected lovably poor production quality one expects of British television from the late 70s/early 80s.

bluecuracao 09-18-2010 02:57 AM

Bottle Shock--saw this on IFC, but it's also available on DVD.

Back in the mid-70s, a guy (played by Alan Rickman) decides to set up a big official blind tasting event featuring California wines v. French wines.

He is encouraged by a character played by Dennis Farina. So naturally, you might wonder if he's in danger of being whacked at some point. But you suddenly remember that he was Hans Gruber, and realize perhaps he can handle himself OK. Only time will tell!

The whole drama that takes place is everything leading up to the actual historical event. But even if you already know what the outcome is, it's still wonderful to watch.

Pico and ME 09-18-2010 08:23 AM

Thats cuz it had Alan Rickman in it!

GunMaster357 09-21-2010 07:28 AM

Monsters vs Aliens

Cloud 09-25-2010 03:54 PM

Charlies Angel's: Full Throttle. Makes me happy everytime I see it! :)

warch 09-25-2010 04:49 PM

I've probably testified for this series before, but...
Slings and Arrows- Its a 3 season Canadian series. Clever, funny, touching, brilliant. I think you can instant watch it on Netfix.

We are chomping at the bit to get at the US release of Spooks (MI5) season 8. Gah!

wolf 09-25-2010 05:35 PM

The Witchfinder General

footfootfoot 09-25-2010 05:36 PM

Been watching "Goodnight Sweetheart" and going through the usual who makes a better Yvonne and who makes a better Phoebe. I think the two Yvonnes have their own charms, but Kirwan Dervla was better. I need to find out from the Brits what kind of accent the Yvonnes have, it is different from Gary's.