The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tales from the Nuthouse: Lest You Think I have a Really Cool Job (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8080)

Shawnee123 01-07-2009 03:28 PM

The Office Space scene is applicable.

Consultants...heeheee

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, consult. ;)

SteveDallas 01-07-2009 03:46 PM

There are good consultants out there, believe it or not.

The problem is, consultants, like anybody else, are beholden to whoever is paying them. The person who decided to bring in the consultant is paying them and decides what questions the consultant is supposed to answer. In the best case scenario, the consultant will hand back the "correct" answer to the question even if it's not an answer the client likes. But even in this case, if they've started off trying to answer the wrong questions, the whole exercise is pointless.

Shawnee123 01-07-2009 03:49 PM

I know...I was just kidding, mostly thinking about consulting as it pertains to "head-choppers" or whatever they call the ones they call in to fire a bunch of people so management doesn't have to take responsibility for it.

In fact, I've considered the possibility of doing consulting for FA offices: my experience is well-rounded enough, having been trained in the trenches in my past job. Consulting as in "what could we be doing better?"

However, I cannot see me running a business.

xoxoxoBruce 01-07-2009 03:50 PM

Worse than pointless, misleading and disastrous.

Shawnee123 01-07-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 519866)
Worse than pointless, misleading and disastrous.

Who, me?

Well duh, who didn't know that? :eek:

xoxoxoBruce 01-07-2009 04:07 PM

I was responding to Steve, you cut in line. :p

dar512 01-07-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 519832)
How many people work there?

About half?

TheMercenary 01-10-2009 07:41 AM

Half a person? How'd they do that.

wolf 02-25-2009 08:06 PM

Real and True Phone Call.

wolf: Hi, this is wolf from The Nuthouse™. I need to speak to a nurse about Patient CrazyPersonWeWantOutofOurNiceMedicalHospital.

ward clerk: Do you need to speak to a nurse?

wolf: Yeah. (Honey, I really hope that you don't have any actual patient care responsibilties. You're blonde, aren't you?)

Oh, the things that I want to say that I'm not allowed to say because I choose not to get in trouble with the boss right now. He ends up apologizing enough for things that I do absolutely right.

NoBoxes 02-26-2009 05:37 AM

Healthcare and ancillary workers at many levels, especially those who deal with the mentally impaired, are taught to reflect patients' questions and comments back to them so that patients may pursue their own direction when verbalizing trains of thought. Unfortunately, this technique is often misused by poor/indifferent listeners and procrastinators in the healthcare industry who apply it to anyone saying anything that they are not particularly interested in ... like requests for them to do their jobs. It's somewhat analogous to supervisors who talk to subordinates the way they talk to their children at home. These traits aren't necessarily indicative of low intelligence; so, it's best to counter them with caution. It's often just a character flaw which demarcates those people as indifferent assholes.

Trilby 02-26-2009 06:53 AM

I disagree. It's just stupidity.

Clodfobble 02-26-2009 08:54 AM

I have the same problem with the large number of elementary-school teachers in my family.

lookout123 02-26-2009 02:07 PM

You reflect their questions back at them? Kind of strange if you ask me.

dar512 02-26-2009 02:18 PM

So you're saying you think that's unusual?

lookout123 02-26-2009 02:24 PM

Do you question it's unusualness?