The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's For Breakfast? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23077)

slang 01-10-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 888854)
2) My first course, croissant. Then I had one rasher of bacon and a small spoon of scrambled egg.

Is that apple juice? Or maybe a quad shot of Southern Comfort? Just wonderin'

Lola Bunny 01-10-2014 11:31 PM

Slang, if you don't know by now, Asians need their rice....everyday. In college, I knew this Japanese American. He spoke poor Japanese for he grew up here with his Japanese mother while his American father stayed in Japan. Wait, that doesn't make sense. But I remember correctly that his mom is Japanese because I borrowed her kimono for something. Anyways, he once told me that he needs rice everyday. If he doesn't eat rice, he misses it. Another example, my mom feels that we need to eat rice. If we don't serve her meals with rice more than 2 days, she'll ask for it. She even gets on my case if I don't pack rice for lunch for my nephew. My mom would nag me to cook rice in the morning. What for, I ask. To bring for lunch! Why? I'm packing chicken nuggets. The poor baby! He hasn't had rice for 2 days! :D

slang 01-10-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 888964)
Slang, if you don't know by now, Asians need their rice....everyday.

It's true. People get cranky without their rice.

It's easy to get here. And cheap so that's good.

Clodfobble 01-11-2014 08:53 AM

Your gut bacteria crave whatever they are used to eating, because by definition you have grown species that thrive on what you've historically eaten. Rice is a unique starch that encourages very specific bacteria. If you build up your colony by eating a bunch of rice every day, then suddenly starve them by not eating rice for two days, they will literally begin dying and releasing toxins that make you grumpy and tell your brain to get them the food they need before the colony perishes.

Sundae 01-11-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slang (Post 888963)
Is that apple juice? Or maybe a quad shot of Southern Comfort? Just wonderin'

You've not been around recently, so you wouldn't know; I have a damaged liver and am not allowed to drink.
And even I would have been hard pushed to drink that much Southern Comfort for brekkers!

So yes, apple juice.
And I don't know if it was mine or Dana's. I refilled a couple of times with different juice and tossed them all off in a single swallow.
Some habits are hard to unlearn.

slang 01-11-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 889006)
You've not been around recently, so you wouldn't know; I have a damaged liver and am not allowed to drink.

Oops. Sorry to hear that Sundae.

Lola Bunny 01-12-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 889002)
Your gut bacteria crave whatever they are used to eating, because by definition you have grown species that thrive on what you've historically eaten. Rice is a unique starch that encourages very specific bacteria. If you build up your colony by eating a bunch of rice every day, then suddenly starve them by not eating rice for two days, they will literally begin dying and releasing toxins that make you grumpy and tell your brain to get them the food they need before the colony perishes.

Oh ny gosh, I didnt know that. How interesting. Woukd that be the same for any food, i. e. chips, fast food, etc.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 01-12-2014 08:26 AM

Sort of. Not every food is unique enough to encourage a radically different combination of bacteria--most fruit is biologically pretty similar, for example, lots of fructose and fiber. And not every species of gut bacteria has evolved the same ability to affect the human brain in the same way. Plus, nothing happens in a vacuum; even as one species starves, another thrives to fill the niche. What we're just now figuring out is what other things these bacteria do for us. Some bacteria that thrive on high-fiber diets, for example, have recently been discovered to release substances that help modulate our immune systems. Without fiber, they never grow, and your immune system maybe doesn't get everything it needs. But just like tending a garden, you have to consistently eat fiber every day for the colony to thrive--fruit once in awhile will get you a dose of vitamins, which is good, but it will not keep the bacteria going. You are what you eat.

Molasar 01-12-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 889115)
You are what you eat.

that means politicians must eat a hell of a lot of arseholes.

Clodfobble 01-12-2014 10:30 AM

Never ask what hot dogs are made of.

Griff 01-12-2014 10:54 AM

retired politicians?

Molasar 01-13-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 889119)
Never ask what hot dogs are made of.

especially in Korea.:devil:

fargon 01-13-2014 07:36 AM

Back on track.
Bagels with ham, cream cheeze, and egg.

DanaC 01-13-2014 07:45 AM

Back off track.
Coffee and cigarettes.

Big Sarge 01-18-2014 10:17 AM

sweet tea and a bag of crutons

slang 01-22-2014 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Off brand corn flake cereal with real milk. Perfect.

Griff 01-22-2014 06:20 AM

How's your climate on dairy cows? The Holsteins seem to suffer when they end up in the Southern US, but you've got mountains.

slang 01-22-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 890421)
How's your climate on dairy cows?

They've been milking cows there for over 30 years. The milk tastes great and they have plenty of customers. The climate seems to work out for them.

Every time we go there I have more questions. They are milking 15 cows a day now. Each gives about 8 gallons a day. They have a milking machine just like the American farms have.

They don't want to answer any more questions about their cows. I make them nervous with my questions.

Heifers are seen on the surrounding hillsides but not in numbers that one would think would be needed for a herd this size.

If there is a chance to get more info on the cows or to get into the barn I'll do so. The farmers are a little freaked out about me asking more questions about their cows. :blush:

They have horses too, maybe I'll start asking more about them instead.

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2014 01:59 AM

The cows lie!! The cows lie!! :haha:

slang 01-23-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 890522)
The cows lie!! The cows lie!! :haha:

Do you think they produce less than 8 gallons a day, Bruce? What would be your guess or is there something else that they might be lying about?

footfootfoot 01-23-2014 06:20 AM

It's the punch line to a joke, slang

slang 01-23-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 890526)
It's the punch line to a joke, slang

Dammit.

I need to get out more.

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2014 11:05 AM

Yes, about a woman who can converse with animals appearing at a farm. The farmer didn't care until she wanted to talk to the sheep. He yells, "The sheep lie".

footfootfoot 01-23-2014 11:47 AM

and the old favorite,
"A good ewe will do that..."

Sundae 01-23-2014 12:08 PM

Bottle of Vanilla Slimfast this morning.
Well, I left the house at 05.05 and knew I'd be surrounded by bread lovely bread until my break at 09.00.
At which time I had a bread roll with low fat soft cheese, and an apple.

Molasar 01-23-2014 03:54 PM

breakfast today was pot of tea (no milk no sugar) and wholemeal bread roll, dry, (without any butter margarine or other spread) filled with sliced pork pie.
not just the meat filling, the whole pork pie pastry and all.
tomorrow will be a packet of rough oatcakes and a banana. and tea of course

bbro 01-26-2014 06:15 PM

Cinnamon swirl french bread for tomorrow with half a honey crisp apple that was the size of softball. Boring old eggs for today

Big Sarge 01-30-2014 08:31 AM

Special day: Whipped chocolate vodka with heavy cream. I don't plan on doing much today, so I'll probably have Birthday cake vodka for lunch

Sundae 01-30-2014 10:45 PM

I want birthday cake vodka.
But instead I'll probably have a SlimFast.

I really need to get outta bed and get to work.
I'm messing about in here instead of putting on make-up. Well, no one sees me when I'm on Bakery, it's not a customer facing position. Hmmmmm. Wonder why I've been transferred onto there two mornings a week?

Big Sarge 01-30-2014 10:50 PM

babe, you don't need make-up. god already made you beautiful. not a customer facing position? maybe they want to attract business with that cute butt

Sundae 01-30-2014 10:53 PM

Awwww.
I'm going to work with a smile on my face now.

monster 01-30-2014 11:03 PM

maybe they just need people to bake in the mornings?

Sundae 01-31-2014 05:56 AM

They do at that :)

It's not a popular shift and has already seen off three members of staff. They used flattering words when they transferred me, like copes-well-under-pressure and reliable and flexible.

It'll get easier.
It's not the early start so much as the sheer volume of work to get through in a limited amount of time. But I felt like that about being on set-up for Deli to start with, and now I have enough spare time to make serious inroads into the weekly and monthly cleaning schedules.

The SlimFasts have worked really well though.
I drink them on the way, so no extra time spent, or washing up. And I keep my greedy fingers off the merchandise. Because although it wouldn't feel like stealing...

richlevy 02-02-2014 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been buying cans of corned beef hash and making a breakfast bowl.

Empty can of corned beef hash into microwave safe bowl and scoop out depression in middle. Put two eggs into depression. Break yolks and microwave covered for 6 minutes (1000 watt oven). Place two slices of American cheese on top and microwave for another 1 minute.

The eggs are only soft boiled at that point. They can be eaten that way or if mixed into the hash become solid.

Big Sarge 02-03-2014 12:01 PM

Left over pizza and jalapeno poppers from the Super Bowl Party. I found out old folks don't need to do this. please, please put me out of my misery

limey 02-03-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 891797)
I've been buying cans of corned beef hash and making a breakfast bowl.

Empty can of corned beef hash into microwave safe bowl and scoop out depression in middle. Put two eggs into depression. Break yolks and microwave covered for 6 minutes (1000 watt oven). Place two slices of American cheese on top and microwave for another 1 minute.

The eggs are only soft boiled at that point. They can be eaten that way or if mixed into the hash become solid.

Just don't show Mr Limey - I think he'd OD on that stuff (do you mean tins of corned beef hash, UK style, ie corned beef and potatoes?)

Sent by thought transference

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2014 03:48 PM

That's the stuff, Limey.
Hormel's 213gr can yields 349 calories, 196 from fat, 78.7 from carbs, and 74.4 from protein.

Of course 213gr (7.5oz) is a small can, they also have 15oz(425gr) and 25oz(709gr), if Mr Limey wants a manly breakfast. :haha:

limey 02-03-2014 04:49 PM

What's For Breakfast?

I'd have to make the corned beef hash, we only get the corned beef in tins, without the potatoes. Still it's a nice idea for a special breakfast for ma mayan, or even supper ...

Sent by thought transference

monster 02-03-2014 09:20 PM

is canned corned beef really expensive there now, Limey? price went through the roof here -more expensive /lb than real fresh beef. :(

Sundae 02-04-2014 02:26 AM

We sell corned beef on the Deli counter.
Customers think it is fresh because we slice it for them. I mean it's fresh in that it has to be refrigerated, but only once we've opened the... Yup, tin.

It's the cheapest cut on the counter. Well, that and tongue, which also comes in a large tin.
From memory it's 90p per 100g, as opposed to our Aberdeen Angus-sired rare roast beef which is £2.99. Then again, we usually slice the roast beef very fine.

monster 02-04-2014 08:06 AM

but did canned corned beef go up a lot in the last 10 years? Like threefold?

Sundae 02-04-2014 11:29 AM

I admit I can't say.

It's been an intermittent purchase in this house. I know cornflakes have gone up in price since I lived and budgeted alone, but that's as close as I can come.

richlevy 02-20-2014 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The canned corned beef hash is about 1/3 corned beef and 2/3 potatoes. A 15oz (425gr) can is $1.69 which is about 1.23 euros and 1.05 GBP.

It's cheap stuff but I love it. I buy it at the US ALDI supermarket near work.

DanaC 02-22-2014 07:32 AM

Yeah, you can buy the hash here too.

I tend to just go for corned beef. That way I can have a couple of slices cold with some hot potatoes for one meal - and then make a giant pan of hash for a couple of days with the rest.

Sundae 02-22-2014 07:44 AM

Special K for me today.
I don't usually have a chance for breakfast. Not proper breakfast anyway.

In fact I didn't really this morning. I took it into the living room to get away from Mum, because I could tell she was angry, but she followed me and moaned about Dad. And Diz decided it was his breakfast too because it smelled of lovely lovely milk (albeit milk which he wouldn't be able to digest, unlike the catmilk he loves) and had to be pushed away again and again.

So I wish I hadn't bothered.

But compared to sharing with strangers, sitting hunched over a bowl in my room with no Diz, I guess it wasn't that bad.

DanaC 02-22-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 891937)
but did canned corned beef go up a lot in the last 10 years? Like threefold?

It did seem to rocket up in price a while back. But the discount superstores (like Aldi) and the supermarket own brands have brought the price back down a smidge.

A 340g tin of Princes corned beef now is around the £2.50 mark.

The same in the sainsburys own brand is around £2 and in their 'Basics' range, £1.50.

The price for fresh minced beef at Sainsburys is £3 for 500 grams standard mince , and £1.46 for 400 grams of the 'Basics' minced beef.

So, yeah. You can get fresh minced beef for less than the cost of corned beef.

But, that's based on Sainsburys and there are cheaper places to shop!

bbro 02-22-2014 03:28 PM

McDonald's! Of course my breakfast was closer to two o'clock

Lola Bunny 02-24-2014 11:57 PM

Girl, I hope your diet is not messsing up your workout.

bbro 02-25-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 893269)
Girl, I hope your diet is not messsing up your workout.

LOL - I wasn't working out much. Yes, that day was totally thrown in, but I am back on the horse. :p:

Lola Bunny 02-25-2014 05:32 PM

That's good. :)

DanaC 02-26-2014 04:58 AM

Coffee and cigarettes.

Clodfobble 02-27-2014 09:00 AM

Eggs and bacon. A treat for myself for working so hard lately. And now, to further the self-gratification (not like that, you pervs) I'm going back to bed for an hour or two. Huzzah!

DanaC 02-27-2014 09:10 AM

Sounds marvellous :) Enjoy!

Lola Bunny 02-27-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 893457)
Eggs and bacon. A treat for myself for working so hard lately. And now, to further the self-gratification (not like that, you pervs) I'm going back to bed for an hour or two. Huzzah!

Where's the 'like' button? :D

Clodfobble 02-28-2014 09:23 AM

It ended up being three hours. :blush: Apparently I needed it more than I thought. Anyway, turns out that breakfast was a mistake, but I didn't realize it until late afternoon. See, when I saw those eggs in the fridge, I thought to myself, "Gosh, those are getting old, better eat them before they go bad." Except I'd already had that thought a few days earlier, and planned a meal for last night that would use up the eggs. Which I now no longer possessed.

So I had to call the egg lady, who couldn't meet me at her house until 5:30, and after slogging through traffic to get home I decided I didn't have time to cook the planned meal after all. So we had leftover ribs, which the kids were perfectly happy with. The egg-utilizing meal will be tonight instead.

Oh, and breakfast this morning is granny smith apples with cashew butter. So freaking good. I feel bad eating up all the kids' cashew butter, but tomorrow's the weekend and Mr. Clod can make some more.

Lola Bunny 03-03-2014 10:38 AM

A glass of wine as an after breakfast drink....:D

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2014 04:26 PM

Well you can't expect one glass to last through the preparation, consumption, and post breakfast activities. :headshake

busterb 04-16-2014 07:42 PM

2 eggs over easy on Quiona and a dab of Pace's hot salsa, with 2 biscuits.

Lola Bunny 04-16-2014 07:58 PM

Sounds good, B.

BardoXV 04-19-2014 10:23 AM

What's For Breakfast? - Rum. - Drinking Rum before noon, doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.