The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

Trilby 11-10-2010 10:46 PM

1) my sacro-iliac joint hurts - but only on the right side.

2) my restless leg syndrome - still no medicine

3) insomnia!

the trifecta!!

monster 11-11-2010 06:51 AM

(They're supposed to be the same freaking product, though, just updated cans. liars. mumble. And the second one most certainly isn't the same color as the test chip. mutter)

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2010 07:04 AM

Maybe the leftover can didn't get shaken up when it was used the first time?

monster 11-11-2010 07:10 AM

nah, it did. and it looks the same as last time too. the new stuff sucks. as does my leaving it so late in the season as to take stupid risks in order to make sure it gets done in the appropriate temeperature and weather. But at least it's weather-proofed and maybe by the time the snow melts and the sun's been on it a little, we won't be able to tell.... maybe.....

jimhelm 11-11-2010 07:57 AM

just put a big rug over it

footfootfoot 11-11-2010 08:38 AM

My spouse is going into one of her doom spirals and acting out, acting passive aggressive and manipulative. The biggest problem with that behavior is that is comes out during crisis times when the exact opposite behavior would be most helpful to solving the crisis.

jimhelm 11-11-2010 08:44 AM

She's fortunate to have someone who understands that. You both are actually.

Sundae 11-11-2010 01:09 PM

Yesterday I found out that my enhanced CRB check (Criminal Records Bureau I think) could still be 10 weeks in coming.
I can't start paid work at the school until it does, so I am stuck pretending to be looking for work in order to claim.
I know - I should be grateful to be getting any income, but after all I spent my time on benefits (after I was signed off as fit for work) volunteering precisely to get a job in this field - I've not been lounging about watching Maury, eating pizza and getting stoned.
Although I should probably have been getting toned...

Thinking my CRB might come through any day (before I was disabused of this notion) I've been spending my "jobseeking" time looking for work that will fit in and around my new job when I start it.
I have to attend the Job Centre every Monday with written proof that I am applying for work and attending interviews you see.
So I applied for a weekend job delivering hot food to elderly and mentally ill patients for approx 4 hours each Saturday and Sunday.

Having looked into it, as the money I earn is less than the benefit, I will be part-paid.
So I am paid by the company and then the department of Work and Pensions then tops it up so I am not out of pocket for working.
I get £5 (a fortnight I think) for being back in work.
I am not annoyed by this - although it will feel like I'm working for free!
I am annoyed that the bloody paperwork required for pretty much anyone working with people takes so bloody long to come through.
This new company will still have to obtain a CRB for me, as the people I am visiting are vulnerable and in the majority of cases I will have their KEYSAFE NUMBERS! Which means should I choose, I could walk into any of their houses any time I fancy.
But they will allow me to double-up while I am training (ie go out accompanied to learn the routes) and still pay me.

In light of all the Tory rhetoric spewed about dole-scum and scroungers, you'd think anything that gets people off their lazy fat arses and into paid work would be fast-tracked.
They're fast enough to swoop down on people suspected of benefit fraud after all (oh, not those avoiding tax - that's canny accounting, despite the fact it denies the country much more than fradulent claims...)

I haven't been offered the job yet.
And if I do I'll take it like a shot.
I prefer to work and this looks ideal (I'll address the fact I haven't driven in 3 years at a later date!)
It'll mean an extra £150 a month once I start work.

But in the meantime I just wanted to moan about being in limbo solely due to red tape.
The End.

ZenGum 11-11-2010 07:22 PM

So ... you can't work at the school where you have been working for months until you get a CRB. So in the meantime you take up another job ... for which you also need a CRB, so you won't be working alone and so won't be making much difference in terms of service (meal) delivery, which makes perfect sense 'cause you're not benefiting financially from doing all this anyway.

This is a bit silly, isn't it? Still, you're working, you're getting some money, and even though these don't connect in the normal way, it's probably best to just smile and play along.

Really it Is good news.

Cloud 11-11-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 693647)
my left armpit.

it sweats. why just my left!?

Hey, Jim--it's because we're special!

(don't know why that's happened to you -- can tell you why only my left one sweats tho -- scar tissue covers the right pit)

Trilby 11-16-2010 06:29 AM

I need to be richer.

there are several houses on the market that I really must have.

Dammit!

jimhelm 11-22-2010 06:39 PM

Goddamn Nissan.

they leaked a $500 Holiday cash rebate to us today that doesn't start until Fucking Friday. Now I have to do double paperwork all goddamn week so they can give this rebate to people right away. shit piss and corruption.

classicman 11-22-2010 09:09 PM

you can send mine to my home address. :)

skysidhe 11-22-2010 09:25 PM

Just put a Santa hat on while you do it and ho ho ho a lot.

monster 12-10-2010 07:50 AM

Some little shit stole two of my magnetic flame decals off my car overnight. i hope they cut their fingers on them.

footfootfoot 12-10-2010 09:34 AM

fecalito

Clodfobble 12-10-2010 12:44 PM

Sat in the waiting room at the doctor's office for a goddamn hour before it was time to go pick up my daughter, so I had to reschedule. They called my name as I was walking out the door. Groove = scorched.

footfootfoot 12-10-2010 01:34 PM

Conversely, my shoulder surgeon saw me almost immediately, gave me a steroid injection on my other bad shoulder and instead of the pain going away, it got much worse.

zippyt 12-18-2010 05:37 PM

Just found out that my 23-4 yr old nephew is in the process of Packing up my Dead beat sister and Moving her and her Other 2 sons Closer to him so he can take of them

glatt 12-20-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 691805)
I might have to testify against a guy who I saw smack his girlfriend hard today. Fucker did it right in front of a youth group that included my daughter while they were making sandwiches for the needy. I don't know how it's going to play out. The girlfriend doesn't want to press charges, because she is used to it, but the church called the cops and and I think the church wants to prosecute him for whatever they can. Maybe disturbing the peace?

I got a subpoena a few weeks ago, and today was the dude's trial. I showed up at the courthouse to testify, but didn't have to. The bad guy didn't realize that I and another witness were going to be testifying against him, and when he learned that, he entered a guilty plea. I'm not sure what the charge is. I never had to set foot in the courtroom.

They will sentence him in a month, and he may be going back to jail.

I'm glad it worked out this way. So this really belongs in the making me happy thread. To top it all off, I learned that I don't have to use leave. My employer will treat this like jury duty and pay me, since I was subpoenaed.

Undertoad 12-20-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 701099)
The bad guy didn't realize that I and another witness were going to be testifying against him

Mona Lisa Vito: Don't you wanna know why Trotter gave you his files?
Vinny Gambini: I told you why already.
Mona Lisa Vito: He has to, by law, you're entitled. It's called disclosure, you dickhead! He has to show you everything, otherwise it could be a mistrial. He has to give you a list of all his witnesses, you can talk to all his witnesses, he's not allowed any surprises.
[Vinny has a blank look on his face]
Mona Lisa Vito: They didn't teach you that in law school either?

glatt 12-20-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 701106)
Mona Lisa Vito: Don't you wanna know why Trotter gave you his files?
Vinny Gambini: I told you why already.
Mona Lisa Vito: He has to, by law, you're entitled. It's called disclosure, you dickhead! He has to show you everything, otherwise it could be a mistrial. He has to give you a list of all his witnesses, you can talk to all his witnesses, he's not allowed any surprises.
[Vinny has a blank look on his face]
Mona Lisa Vito: They didn't teach you that in law school either?

Maybe his public defender wasn't sharing that info with him, or didn't look at the case file until the morning.

Clodfobble 02-12-2011 10:08 PM

Ugh. You know it's winter when you give up on the lotions and just start applying the tube of chapstick directly to your knuckles.

footfootfoot 02-13-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 711187)
Ugh. You know it's winter when you give up on the lotions and just start applying the tube of chapstick directly to your knuckles.

tried bag balm?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

monster 02-22-2011 01:28 PM

quickbooks.

Pico and ME 04-23-2011 05:08 PM

Why do people who own really loud motorcycles have to rev them up over and over before they finally get going on them? There are a few in my neighborhood and they scorch my groove regularly. There's one who likes to race his bike at night back and forth down my street - I'm getting the feeling that maybe he doesn't have license for it. Are these people not aware of how much they are irritating their neighbors? I'm thinking that they are really just showing off. "Hey! Look how loud my bike is! Am I tough or what!"

monster 04-23-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 726351)
Why do people who own really loud motorcycles have to rev them up over and over before they finally get going on them?

Because they want you to come out and watch them and notice just how large their package is.

Nirvana 04-25-2011 10:47 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain,Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, etc :thepain:

infinite monkey 04-25-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 726351)
Why do people who own really loud motorcycles have to rev them up over and over before they finally get going on them? There are a few in my neighborhood and they scorch my groove regularly. There's one who likes to race his bike at night back and forth down my street - I'm getting the feeling that maybe he doesn't have license for it. Are these people not aware of how much they are irritating their neighbors? I'm thinking that they are really just showing off. "Hey! Look how loud my bike is! Am I tough or what!"

Why do little shorts-sprayin' geek boys put something on their car that makes the car sound like a really old crappy Moped? They oughta just put playing cards in the spokes.

It's a younger version of look at me look at me (see Pico's post above) attention whoring for those even less mature than the old and hairy attention whores. It all amounts to this :jagoff: (with a pinch of stupidity and a modicum of hillbilly and a need for something to compensate for a tiny penis.)

BigV 04-25-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 726839)
Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain,Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, etc :thepain:

not "scorching" exactly... drowning is closer... ugh.

jimhelm 04-25-2011 12:42 PM

another $1000 down the tubes

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop since Tuesday night.

On my way home after work at 10:30 at night, I was stuck in traffic behind an accident on 676. sat for 10 minutes dead still. then it cleared. just like that. passed over a pile of cat litter or something where the accident had been, but saw no cars. Just cops on the shoulder. great. Off we go. ..... and then we stop!

well, most of us did. I stopped slightly less quickly than the car in front of me, unfortunately. I rear ended an old Taurus with a family of 4 in it. goddamn it.

air bag didn't go off, it didn't hurt.... and I couldn't even tell where I had hit her car. (funny, they live in a trailer park right near Honey Brook where jinx and I had our first apartment)... but my car ( the fucking Juke I was so enjoying) lost 90% of it's power... it felt like i had the clutch in 2/3 of the way, but it's an auto trans.

I limped it onto the shoulder, got out and went to see if everyone was ok. The little girl in the back seat had a bump on her head, but said she was ok. (they wound up taking her to Children's Hosp as a precaution anyway) A philly cop rolled up just then, but they were transporting a prisoner, and it was State Po Po juris anyway, so they called State Police to respond. They just happened to be about 1/4 mile back up the road, so they were right there in a hurry. I looked at my car, and the damage looked negligible there too... but I was not going to try driving it with 10% power on the Schuylkill Expressway, so they called a tow truck. He also arrived very quickly. I guess I finally made the traffic report on KYW... they had to close the east bound ramp to 76 for about 20 minutes.

Now, apparently, 'get this car off the highway' translates to 'take it to the PPA lot in South Philly' ...and tell the stupid prick that wrecked it to get out of the tow truck and come back for the car tomorrow.

I was surprised. I'm like.. Ok, now what? and dude says... 'well, you call someone to come get you.' ...The little building there is dark and closed, and this area is basically abandoned at night.

SO.... at 11:30pm, I'm standing near Oregon and Columbus ave waiting to be rescued. I wonder what happens to a little old lady that has no friends, or cell phone? My ride got there 5 minutes later because I had been in touch from just after the accident... but damn. that's cold hearted, dawg.

anyway, it took my service department 3 tries to get the paperwork and $check amount right in order to retrieve the car from the parking authority. Finally got my dealer tag and phone charger back on Friday, and today they got it up on a lift and determined that although it didn't LOOK too bad, it is pretty fucked up under there. I was hoping to get the car back and for the damage to be less than $1000.... but no such luck. One more thing coming out of my already paltry take home pay.

I keep telling myself that it could have been much worse. No one was hurt, and all that... so I'm lucky, right? RIGHT?

worst part was that it ruined my plans with my kids the next day as I had to go to work and get a new car to drive.

glatt 04-25-2011 12:59 PM

I'm glad you're OK Jim.

That sucks though. $1000!

jimhelm 04-25-2011 01:03 PM

yeah... i just got done paying for that altima I cracked up last summer. [/dumbass]

infinite monkey 04-25-2011 01:43 PM

I'm glad you're OK, and that everyone else is OK.

Speaking as a commuter, does your job offer safe driving lessons?

Clodfobble 04-25-2011 01:43 PM

Dang, that sucks. Sorry man. I am glad you're okay though.

jimhelm 04-25-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 726893)
I'm glad you're OK, and that everyone else is OK.

Speaking as a commuter, does your job offer safe driving lessons?

lol... no, sadly, they don't.
you've seen my commute, right? this happened right where this clip starts (at 5:33 to be precise), but coming the opposite direction.

that video was shot on a 4th July 2010, and there's no traffic. This happened at 10:30 at night on my way home after working 13.5 hours. Might be that my reaction time was a little slow. It's funny, in my minds eye, I can see the brake lights of the car in front of the Taurus I hit shining through the windows of the Taurus. I'm wondering if maybe, their brake lights were not functioning. I didn't notice it at the time, and after rear ending her, it would have been hard to say if that was the reason I hit her. Fact is, I did. so it's my fault. After 7 years of driving this commute, you'd think this would have happened by now. They call the road the 'Sure Kill' for a reason.

infinite monkey 04-25-2011 02:13 PM

I understand that. A little sensitive today...this morning's commute was really bad. Maybe visibility to just the car ahead of you. Then there are those who want to ride on your ass (failure to assure clear distance) and I try to leave some space between me and a car in front of only so someone in an all fire hurry can jump into that space and stop and go with the rest of us. There were (again) a bunch of accidents again this morning and I've had a headache all day.

The construction zone fix is a long-term thing that they are doing to fix "malfunction junction." The thing is, when the retaining walls start pushing everyone into two lanes, the impatient people act like it's everyone else's fault...and often cause those accidents. There's nowhere to go.

I understand too that there are "accidents." Like I said, I'm rethinking my entire routine right now, so sick of the commute I am.

I didn't want to cast aspersions on you...maybe just a reminder to everyone that the life you save may be your own. Or mine. Or my nieces or nephews.

I really am glad you're OK. I hope you know that.

I'm just :( and :zzz:

jimhelm 04-25-2011 02:21 PM

ah, see.. I thought you were just breaking my balls.

On that road, like you said above, if you stay back to a safe distance, some asshole will run up the right lane, and jam into the space anyway, so you're forced to follow at a 1 second margin. I've been doing it for 7 years, like I said, and have had a couple close calls.. but these cars stopped freaking DEAD. The lady I hit said she thought she was going to hit the car in front of her, but just missed it. I didn't hit hard enough to push her into it either.

I'm glad I'm OK, too. Thanks for that...and to glatt and clobble too.

infinite monkey 04-25-2011 02:23 PM

Ugh. Do you ever get sick of it?

I seem to have lost some fearlessness. Maybe it's just the past few weeks with the rain and stuff, but I keep wondering if it's even worth it. (See $6 gas prices thread.)

I don't break balls, but I might bust your chops. ;)

Trilby 04-25-2011 02:26 PM

Jim, that sucks so hard about the car but I AM VERY GLAD that you (and the others) are ok.

jimhelm 04-25-2011 02:29 PM

oh, yeah... i get sick of it. I used to have a real good reason to do what I do.

I just saw the initial estimate. $5990. gawd.

thanks bri!

footfootfoot 04-25-2011 02:35 PM

Glad it was only stuff and not folks.

skysidhe 04-25-2011 02:43 PM

I am glad you are alright Jim.

Griff 04-25-2011 03:54 PM

The Sure-kill is renowned for being a car eater. Sorry Jim. Time to look into that organic d*pe operation?

TheMercenary 04-25-2011 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear that Jim. What you going to do now to get to work?

jimhelm 04-25-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks again...

merc, I went Wednesday and took another demo. Altima. kind of boring after driving the Juke, but entirely comfortable and practical. I kind of feel guilty about it... crack up their car, and just ...go get a new one! no sweat!

Griff 05-03-2011 05:34 AM

The bin Laden threads are scorching my groove. Career professionals in the military and intelligence communities finally got the job done, but the wacko leftists and rightists on this board want to assign credit to their belief systems and parties. Great, party before country. :mad:

infinite monkey 05-03-2011 07:44 AM

Scorching my groove: slaps on the wrist from a high and mighty obtuse son of a beach.

Oh, and I agree about the bin laden threads.

ALWAYs it's been party before country. Don't you remember all the crap when Obama got elected? "I hope he fails and we all stand in bread lines and people die by the thousands and thousands so I can say 'I told you so'"

classicman 05-03-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 730053)
Don't you remember all the crap when Obama got elected? "I hope he fails and we all stand in bread lines and people die by the thousands and thousands so I can say 'I told you so'"

I don't remember any of that. In fact, I remember quite the opposite - except for a minuscule % of extremists.

Fair&Balanced 05-03-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 730053)
...ALWAYs it's been party before country. Don't you remember all the crap when Obama got elected? "I hope he fails and we all stand in bread lines and people die by the thousands and thousands so I can say 'I told you so'"

Probably closely correlated to the significant percentage of Republicans who think Obama is a socialist out to destroy the country (and take away your guns), is not a US citizen or, to a lesser extent, is a Muslim or the anti-Christ.

infinite monkey 05-03-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced (Post 730064)
Probably closely correlated to the significant percentage of Republicans who think Obama is a socialist out to destroy the country, is not a US citizen or, to a lesser extent, is a Muslim or the anti-Christ.

Yes, that correlation seems to exist. ;) Oh, it was rampant. People really wanted us to crash and burn. Their own form of 'patriotism.' Makes me barfy.

I like this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/0...inladen.obama/

Trilby 05-04-2011 03:01 PM

DAMMIT!

It's been raining for several months now. It's as green as Ireland out there and as moist as Water World.

AND SO IS MY FREAKING BASEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGH! It won't stop f*cking raining long enough for any G-D thing to dry the f_ck UP. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

Trilby 05-04-2011 03:03 PM

Check it:

DAYTON -- With dry weather in the forecast through tomorrow it looks like this April will remain number 2 on the list of the wettest months of April.

As of Friday morning we had received 8.72" , about 1/2" short of the record of 9.2" set in 1996.

Here is some more information regarding our rainfall totals for the year:

Since January 1st- 18.87"... That puts us 6.93" above average for the year.

At this time last year , we had received 9.21" since January 1 , 2010.

It is interesting that we have had nearly as much rain this April as we did during the first 4 months of 2010.

BigV 05-05-2011 01:11 PM

I hear ya, Brianna. Here it has been the coldest wettest April in recorded history.

bleurgh.

Today, it's 60 degrees in the house. Screw that. I'm cranking up the thermostat.

infinite monkey 05-05-2011 01:12 PM

HAhahahahhaha. 60 is what I kept my house at all winter. ;)

glatt 05-05-2011 01:24 PM

When it's raining as much as it has been, I always wish we had a huge buried cistern. With the runoff from the neighbor's roof (Which is aimed at our property line,) and the runoff from our own roof, we could store enough water to get us through the driest of summers.

footfootfoot 05-05-2011 01:32 PM

Cisterns are pretty cheap to put in, about $1000 for a 1500 gallon one and a few hours of excavating and some grass seed, a pump. You could do it all for under 2 grand, I bet. How much is water going for? (What's the ROI?)

HungLikeJesus 05-05-2011 01:34 PM

When the water wars come, you won't care about the ROI.

infinite monkey 05-05-2011 02:45 PM

Hey cistern, go cistern, soul cistern, flow cistern
Hey cistern, go cistern, soul cistern, go cistern

HungLikeJesus 05-05-2011 02:50 PM

I always wondered what they were saying.