The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting graphs and charts department (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24480)

Lamplighter 10-05-2012 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This little article interested me because we're probably going to get a new car in the next year.
That will set off our family tradition of hand-me-down cars to various family members.
I thought the cost calculator which is also linked below was interesting and seemed useful...

LA Times
Dan Turner
10/5/12

Does $5 gas = buy a hybrid or electric car? A cost/benefit analysis
Quote:

The U.S. Department of Energy's Alternative Fuels Data Center
has an interesting tool on its website for comparing the costs of fuel and
ownership of nearly every motor vehicle sold in the U.S.
I compared my neighbor's Leaf to seven other popular 2012 gas-powered models,
including the hybrid Toyota Prius, given current local electricity prices and
figuring the average current price of gas at $4.75 a gallon.
<snip>
VEHICLE COST CALCULATOR

Attachment 41071

Quote:

This tool uses basic information about your driving habits to calculate total cost of ownership
and emissions for makes and models of most vehicles, including alternative fuel
and advanced technology vehicles.
<snip>

BigV 10-05-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 833197)
This little article interested me because we're probably going to get a new car in the next year.
That will set off our family tradition of hand-me-down cars to various family members.
--snip

hand me downs like this?

Quote:

In 2009, Lewis and Rotjan surveyed the entire hermit crab population on Carrie Bow Cay. Many crabs were living in shells that were a tight fit or had one too many holes. As they grow, hermit crabs must move into larger shells, so they are always on the lookout for a more spacious dwelling. And an undamaged shell is preferable to a broken one, even if the shells are the same size. Knowing this, the researchers decided to dramatically change the available hermit crab real estate on Carrie Bow Cay. They placed 20 beautifully intact shells that were a little too big for most hermit crabs at various spots around the island and watched what happened.

When a lone crab encountered one of the beautiful new shells, it immediately inspected the shelter with its legs and antennae and scooted out of its current home to try on the new shelter for size. If the new shell was a good fit, the crab claimed it. Classic hermit crab behavior. But if the new shell was too big, the crab did not scuttle away disappointed—instead, it stood by its discovery for anywhere between 15 minutes and 8 hours, waiting. This was unusual. Eventually other crabs showed up, each one trying on the shell. If the shell was also too big for the newcomers, they hung around too, sometimes forming groups as large as 20. The crabs did not gather in a random arrangement, however. Rather, they clamped onto one another in a conga line stretching from the largest to smallest animal—a behavior the biologists dubbed "piggybacking."

Only one thing could break up the chain of crabs: a Goldilocks hermit crab for whom the shell introduced by Lewis and Rotjan was just right. As soon as such a crab claimed its new home, all the crabs in queue swiftly exchanged shells in sequence. The largest crab at the front of the line seized the Goldilocks crab's abandoned shell. The second largest crab stole into the first's old shell. And so on.

Lamplighter 10-05-2012 09:20 PM

V, that's really interesting... and it is like our family

One of my G-sons is driving a Subaru (>120k miles) that started with my wife, and over to our daughter.
Another G-son and a G-daughter are driving cars that started family life with their mom and her S.O.

But it wasn't a matter of size, but of opportunity and need.

BigV 10-05-2012 10:30 PM

It's about Goldilocks, "just right", not only about size. :-)

xoxoxoBruce 10-12-2012 02:55 AM

The vehicle cost calculater make too many assumptions that are out of whack.

Happy Monkey 10-17-2012 10:49 AM

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...Realistsv3.gif

Gravdigr 10-17-2012 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How I view that chart:

Attachment 41239

Happy Monkey 10-17-2012 04:25 PM

Climate change skeptics sometimes say that temperatures are actually decreasing. They do this by picking a small span of years where there was a downward trend, while ignoring the long term upward trend. When there's a new record high, they start saying that temperatures are actually decreasing since that new date.

Undertoad 10-17-2012 07:05 PM

I saw that post and I am bothered by it. What are all his data points?

Here's the graph at Wikipedia's global warming page, which is similar but more understandable:

http://cellar.org/2012/Global_Temper...10_(Fig.A).gif

Annual mean, that seems like a sensible way to go, since that's all four seasons. Dude's got like twenty data points every 5 years, what is that data?

So... why did he start his graph in 1973? When you look at the annual mean on Wikipedia's graph, 1973 is the end of a three-decade period of no warming, and the beginning of three decades of great warming.

He has cropped the data to fit his narrative, doing exactly what he's accusing the skeptics of doing but on like a century scale rather than a decade scale.

Am I wrong? Tell me where. And how far out should the graph go before we understand what's happening?

Happy Monkey 10-17-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 834723)
I saw that post and I am bothered by it. What are all his data points?

Here's the source.
Quote:

So... why did he start his graph in 1973? When you look at the annual mean on Wikipedia's graph, 1973 is the end of a three-decade period of no warming, and the beginning of three decades of great warming.

He has cropped the data to fit his narrative, doing exactly what he's accusing the skeptics of doing but on like a century scale rather than a decade scale.

Am I wrong? Tell me where.
I don't see any starting point on Wikipedia's graph that whould have changed the narrative much, should they have cropped it differently. A line would still go up. Maybe a curve would fit better if they'd started it in 1940, but the curve would still go up.

I searched for "global warming 1973" on Google, and one skeptic also picked 1973 to do his analysis. His reasoning was:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Spencer
I will restrict the analysis to 1973 and later since (1) this is the primary period of warming allegedly due to anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions; (2) the period having the largest number of monitoring sites has been since 1973; and (3) a relatively short 37-year record maximizes the number of continuously operating stations, avoiding the need to handle transitions as older stations stop operating and newer ones are added.

Perhaps similar reasons were chosen for the 1973 cutoff on the original graph as well.
Quote:

And how far out should the graph go before we understand what's happening?
As far as possible, I suppose, depending on the type of data being included.

Undertoad 10-17-2012 08:37 PM

A line would still go up, just wouldn't look so pretty and convincing.

I like this 1973 notion because, maybe that's it; there has been warming on a geological scale -- since glaciers covered NY State in 20,000 B.C. -- and man-made causes may have accelerated it post 1973.

It has always bothered me that the warming on some graphs goes back to 1830. Mankind wasn't doing anything much at that point. There were only 1B people on the earth, as opposed to the 7B today, and those 1B were still mostly digging in the dirt.

Spexxvet 10-18-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 834731)
It has always bothered me that the warming on some graphs goes back to 1830. Mankind wasn't doing anything much at that point. There were only 1B people on the earth, as opposed to the 7B today, and those 1B were still mostly digging in the dirt.

Something to do with the industrial revolution, maybe?

Undertoad 10-18-2012 09:25 AM

I don't believe that man's contribution began when the only way to get carbon out of the ground was having child labor drag it out from filthy mines. It was a revolution to have trains cross a few countries and to power ships by steam, but to have enough activity to change the environment of the entire planet surely took longer.

Gravdigr 10-18-2012 03:25 PM

I was awed by the sheer number of data points.

BigV 10-18-2012 03:49 PM

I think you are pretty awed already, but I don't want to make a point of it.

Happy Monkey 10-23-2012 12:09 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/world_ac..._americans.png

glatt 10-23-2012 01:26 PM

"but I admit I only know this one from Risk"

:lol:

Happy Monkey 10-29-2012 09:59 AM

Click to go through, and click again to embiggen.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/congress.png

glatt 11-09-2012 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always like the maps after an election. Here's an excellent site that takes us through the breakdown of the vote and how the country really looks.

The most accurate map is this one:
Attachment 41616

It doesn't look much like the US because it's broken down by county, and each county is sized to reflect the actual population. Then it's colored to reflect the vote of the county. Most counties are purple because they are split. Some are really red, because they are mostly Republican, and some are really blue, because they are mostly Democrat.

Clearly, we should look at this and realize that we are not the divided country as shown in the state electoral college map.

footfootfoot 11-09-2012 12:44 PM

Ummm, XKCD dude.

Happy Monkey 11-09-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 838282)
Ummm, XKCD dude.

D'oh!

Here's the full link.

Undertoad 11-27-2012 11:59 AM

http://cellar.org/2012/cohen_singlemomchart.png

http://cellar.org/2012/cohen_singlem...590-106252.png

from

glatt 11-27-2012 12:35 PM

it looks like there is no correlation between single moms and violent crime.

Why don't they do a plot of the number of houses with geraniums in window boxes vs. violent crime? That might be more telling.

Happy Monkey 11-27-2012 12:42 PM

Take that, Dan Quayle! </MurphyBrown>

Lamplighter 11-27-2012 01:15 PM

From Wikipedia
Quote:

<snip>Despite being the headquarters of multiple federal law enforcement agencies
such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA),
the nationwide crack epidemic of the 1980s and 1990s greatly affected the city
and led to massive increases in crime.[1]

The number of homicides in Washington peaked in 1991 at 479,[2]
and the city eventually became known as the "murder capital" of the United States.[3]

The crime rate started to fall in the mid 1990s as the crack epidemic gave way
to economic revitalization projects. Gentrification efforts have also started to transform
the demographics of distressed neighborhoods, recently leading to the first rise
in the District's population in 60 years.[4]<snip>

glatt 11-27-2012 01:36 PM

I was watching Adventures in Babysitting over the long holiday weekend. I remembered it fondly and wanted my kids to see it. It's still a fun movie, but there's more swearing than I remembered. And Playboys.

Anyway, a major plot point of the movie was that they were going into the scary "city" at night. And they encountered all sorts of scary people there. I thought it was laughable, because I remember being afraid of the scary city when I was a teenager, but I'm not afraid of the city now. I mean, I brought my kids to a downtown club a month or two ago to catch a fun band. I kind of forgot that there was good reason to be afraid of "the city" back when Adventures in Babysitting came out. There was a tremendous amount of violent crime back then. It still exists in pockets today, but nothing like back then.

infinite monkey 11-27-2012 01:38 PM

I was just thinking about that movie the other day and wondered if my nieces would like it. I always liked it a lot.

"No one gets out without singin' the blues."

glatt 11-27-2012 01:52 PM

Did you see Date Night with Steve Carell and Tina Fey? It's basically the exact same movie. I didn't realize it until this weekend when I saw Adventures again.

Adventures is still good. But it has some swearing and teenage boys talking about sex. One of the running gags is that Elizabeth Shue is a dead ringer for that month's Playboy Playmate. I think kids today have never heard of Playboy. Magazines are so 1980s. So you might be explaining what that fold out page is.

classicman 11-27-2012 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

footfootfoot 11-27-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 840658)
There was a tremendous amount of violent crime back then. It still exists in pockets today, but nothing like back then.

Is that a violent crime in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Try the buffet; it's a one-liner.

Lamplighter 02-04-2013 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are somewhere around 200-, 250-, and 300-million guns in the US, depending on who/what you read.

Here's a pic graph of the distribution of guns in the US, by State.

Attachment 42723

But sometimes it's hard to get a visual image of large numbers, like how many is 250 million ?

It turns out there are about 250,000,000 automobiles currently registered in the US.
So for every car you see, there's a gun out there.

infinite monkey 02-06-2013 08:10 AM

On that chart, is Louisiana the only one with over 20 deaths/100 grand people? Maybe Nevada too but it's hard to tell with the lines.

Louisiana is SCARY. Geez Louise, you're the shootinest tootinest state East of the Pecos. :D

henry quirk 02-06-2013 09:36 AM

"Louisiana is SCARY"

HA!

Yeah, we're all packin' down here.

For example: lil old ladies (to keep from gettin' mutilated) got holdouts tucked into dainty handbags (along with used tissues, heart medications, and pocket rockets).

infinite monkey 02-06-2013 09:38 AM

:lol:

What in Sam Hill is a pocket rocket?

They also have those foldy uppy little plastic rain hats, that are about the size of a matchbook 'til you unfold them. Magic!

henry quirk 02-06-2013 09:45 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ocket%20rocket

#1 and #4

Foldy rain bonnets: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spexxvet 02-06-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 851610)
Louisiana is SCARY. Geez Louise, you're the shootinest tootinest state East of the Pecos. :D

I read "tootinest" as "toothless", which is also appropriate.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea...-natural-teeth

henry quirk 02-06-2013 01:59 PM

Teeth? We don' need no stinkin' teeth!

Here, in Looseeanna: we're all fat, stupid, drunk, and toothless.

The truth is: the above is not terribly off the mark.

In my work, I get about (far and wide)...really: there are a god-awful number of fat, stupid, drunk, and toothless folks in this state (not so much in the north, but, in the south: overflowing).

Me: scrawny, sober, and toothed (stupid: debatable).

footfootfoot 02-06-2013 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a flow chart actually. higher res version:
http://topcultured.com/wp-content/up...Drink-Beer.jpg

glatt 02-06-2013 03:20 PM

That's actually pretty good. My only complaint is that they don't have my beer.

DanaC 02-06-2013 04:19 PM

'Do you have access to the Stargate?' *snort*

Lamplighter 02-06-2013 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 851667)
That's actually pretty good. My only complaint is that they don't have my beer.

Me too. Moose Drool is my regular fare

ZenGum 02-06-2013 06:20 PM

Fosters???!!!

Pfffft. Would not lower myself to wash my feet in it.

ZenGum 02-06-2013 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have we had this yet?

Attachment 42744

footfootfoot 02-06-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 851698)
Fosters???!!!

Pfffft. Would not lower myself to wash my feet in it.

Australian Budweiser for when you're trying to seem worldly :eek:

xoxoxoBruce 02-07-2013 12:27 AM

For a bigger kick from your mixed drink, use diet soda.

xoxoxoBruce 02-07-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

The Amazing and Incredible

Statistical Atlases

of the

United States of America

compiled in the final decades of

The Nineteenth Century
This site has a shitload of charts and graphs of information gleaned from census data, from 1790 through 1890.

Where they were from, what they did for a living, how much they made, how many kids, and dozens of other measures. How many Irish in New York, how many single vs married in Austin, how many negro vs white in Mississippi.

Undertoad 02-09-2013 01:10 PM

http://cellar.org/2012/college.jpg

from here

glatt 02-09-2013 01:17 PM

That graph pisses me off

Griff 02-09-2013 04:02 PM

Yep, me too. Things are broke.

orthodoc 02-09-2013 04:43 PM

The cost of a degree is crazy. We had more than $100K into my daughter's degree before she quit. It's looking like, even though her grades are respectable, she just isn't into university-level education. Wish she'd been honest at the start, or sooner at least. (No, we didn't push for university over a trade school.) She wanted to do what two of her older brothers did and had blinkers on.

Dare I say it? Maybe university should go back to being the province of those destined for academic careers, and community colleges/trade schools should provide the majority of people with a marketable skill.

I don't know. I'm all in favor of as much education as everyone is willing to absorb, but college has degenerated into frat parties and football. So while that's education of a sort, I suppose, it's not university education anyway. What about college sports? Well, what about them? They certainly aren't academics. As far as I'm concerned they have no place at university beyond intramurals or very local, amateur leagues. :bolt:

JBKlyde 02-10-2013 04:33 PM

you have to go low end these days and go-to teck schools...

Gravdigr 02-10-2013 05:10 PM

Or just regular school...then you'll be able to spell.

JBKlyde 02-10-2013 05:15 PM

or medical school so you can treat yourself and not have a bunch of mad scientists stareing over you for the rest of your life....

Clodfobble 02-10-2013 05:56 PM

JBK, I've been reading a book about parents relating to their children who are dramatically different from them in some way, and I recently finished the chapter on schizophrenia. It was pretty interesting, and helped me understand your art and poems a little more, I think.

One of the more telling parts of the chapter was the number of people who discovered that they had schizophrenia when they took LSD and nothing changed, and only then did they realize that not everyone's brain was like that every moment of every day.

footfootfoot 02-10-2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That would scare the crap out of me.

Oh, and that graph? I hate its disingenuousness. disingenuous-ness? The relationship between the length of the line (years) is on a different scale from the height (dollars). Although there are 10 years and 10 ten thousand dollar increments, the ratios are different. The way the graph is drawn makes the cost increase seem more dramatic than it is.

And it takes one cost and doesn't compare it to other economic factors, like inflation. It's meaningless.

College education these days is pretty piss poor and that could be a whole 'nother thread. I taught a college for "dumb poor kids" and a friend of mine taught at a college for "dumb rich kids."

My wife taught for years at Fordham, a fairly respectable school, and she'd tell me about her students who would say they missed class because they had the 'flew.'

The graph should look more like this:

xoxoxoBruce 02-10-2013 09:01 PM

It's like we both know the stop sign is red, but I've no idea what you're seeing. I don't know what's going on in your head either, how you process input, or form your thoughts.

Of course what goes on in my head is normal, the standard...

just like everyone else. ;)

ZenGum 02-10-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 852228)
Oh, and that graph? I hate its disingenuousness. disingenuous-ness? The relationship between the length of the line (years) is on a different scale from the height (dollars). Although there are 10 years and 10 ten thousand dollar increments, the ratios are different. The way the graph is drawn makes the cost increase seem more dramatic than it is.

And it takes one cost and doesn't compare it to other economic factors, like inflation. It's meaningless.

The vertical axis is not in $10,000 increments, it's in percentage change from the 2000 figure.

And I think the comparison is very meaningful. The reason for paying that tuition is the return in salary. Tuition is going up - faster than CPI - and salary for graduates is falling. Soon, if not already, it will be a financial mistake to go to college (for *many* degrees, says the philosophy gradaute, coughing nervously... engineering and medicine are probably still worthwhile).

footfootfoot 02-10-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 852239)
The vertical axis is not in $10,000 increments, it's in percentage change from the 2000 figure.

And I think the comparison is very meaningful. The reason for paying that tuition is the return in salary. Tuition is going up - faster than CPI - and salary for graduates is falling. Soon, if not already, it will be a financial mistake to go to college (for *many* degrees, says the philosophy gradaute, coughing nervously... engineering and medicine are probably still worthwhile).

Oops. Never mind. In that case, it does make sense. I need to follow links and read.
I agree with you about it being a financial mistake to go to college with the idea that college will somehow increase your earning potential. (With the exception of subjects like engineering and medicine and so forth.) As for liberal arts, *cough*fine arts*cough*, and what's that thinking cure called? Philosomething? College should be regarded as the very expensive 4 year vacation that it is.

xoxoxoBruce 02-10-2013 09:38 PM

At big companies I've seen a ton of jobs that require a degree, but they don't care what in, or where from, because they're going to tell you what to do, and exactly how they want it done.

Spexxvet 02-11-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 852001)

A -That's a sharky looking graph

II - While a bachelor's degree might not pay for itself, it's the ticket in the door for many jobs. Even if a social worker makes the same as a garbage collector, I think I'd rather get the degree and be a social worker.

3 - If there is a trend to forgo college, the drop in enrollment should cause a reduction in tuition.