The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is pissing you off this time? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18362)

plthijinx 12-05-2011 08:44 PM

isn't that what ex's are supposed to do? :rolleyes: just kiddin hun! that's good to hear.

Pete Zicato 12-06-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 776924)
Please don't take this too seriously...:D

It's more of a Steve Jobs poke at the drop down menu...
Just imagine how many millions of extra clicks per day
this Google programmer has dumped on the computer world.

Looks like this is chrome specific. Are you using the Chrome browser? The work-around I found is to use this link instead of the vanilla one.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en

Did that do it for you?

Lamplighter 12-06-2011 04:00 PM

As I say, please don't take this too seriously... I can endure.

Yes, your link did give me the usual default screen.
No, I am not using Chrome... it is Firefox 3.6.24 updated regularly and automatically via Comcast.net

It is a truly weird, and non-static, situation.
Sometime Google Web comes up normally,
and sometimes with the drop-down menu.

Maybe it depends on my own keystrokes or which previous application I used...
Who knows, I haven't sorted that out yet, myself.

But thanks for your efforts... I do appreciate the help.

footfootfoot 12-07-2011 11:11 AM

I'm getting the same thing, Lamp. They are just "putting the tip in" to use a crude but effective metaphor for the changes they are going to be implementing, like it or not. I did reply to their request for feedback with I hate it.

BigV 12-07-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 778245)
As I say, please don't take this too seriously... I can endure.

Yes, your link did give me the usual default screen.
No, I am not using Chrome... it is Firefox 3.6.24 updated regularly and automatically via Comcast.net

It is a truly weird, and non-static, situation.
Sometime Google Web comes up normally,
and sometimes with the drop-down menu.

Maybe it depends on my own keystrokes or which previous application I used...
Who knows, I haven't sorted that out yet, myself.

But thanks for your efforts... I do appreciate the help.

this is WTF?

... by my reckoning, you're about FIVE major releases away from "updated". Is this Comcast's dealio? Cause, I have Firefox as well, but my version reads 8.0.

Lamplighter 12-07-2011 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
???

BigV 12-07-2011 12:24 PM

http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Fir...-10208569.html

Lamplighter 12-07-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 778528)

I can't do that... it requires Mac Mac OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.5

Upgrading to Mac OSX 10.5 or higher is now multi-$100 deal for me,
and that's not taking into account non-Apple software upgrades that would be needed too.

footfootfoot 12-07-2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is why you should buy a pc.

I thought we went through this.

Lamplighter 12-07-2011 03:33 PM

Yes but, but, but...

This Mac has been running continuously since 8/11/06
with no hardware failures or repairs,
additional costs for Apple or 3rd-party software, and zero viral infestations.

Doesn't that count for something ? :yelgreedy

Oooops, I did replace the original Apple mouse with an optical mouse.

It's almost impossible to get people to change their ways.
But Merc did change at least once (that I know of) from PC to Mac :rolleyes:

Pete Zicato 12-07-2011 03:50 PM

Once you go Mac... :D

BigV 12-07-2011 04:00 PM

pissing me off?

these fucking cats chewing on everything around here.
all the plastic bags and now my cables to my computer. I"ll beat the sh*t out of them if I catch them again. goddammit.
the food is OVER THERE ------------------------------>

Pete Zicato 12-07-2011 04:10 PM

Don't have cats, but I've heard a spray water bottle gets their attention.

BigV 12-07-2011 04:13 PM

I'm not keen to spray water around my computer gear.

classicman 12-07-2011 04:30 PM

Rubber bands work well if your aim is good.

Pete Zicato 12-07-2011 04:33 PM

Not sure it's a good idea, but Invisible fence does make a collar for cats.

ZenGum 12-07-2011 04:46 PM

Hey, Footfootfoot, it's a big fat woodchuck!

infinite monkey 12-07-2011 05:27 PM

Why would cats chew cables? That is weird. I don't think any of my cats chewed anything like that.

I want a cat. :(

BigV 12-07-2011 05:35 PM

make me an offer.

classicman 12-07-2011 06:22 PM

postage ought to do it.

BigV 12-07-2011 10:22 PM

you do realize I'm not putting a return address on the package don't you?

ZenGum 12-08-2011 12:35 AM

Why post, when you could catapult?

zippyt 12-08-2011 01:03 AM

thats why cats have tails

Sundae 12-08-2011 09:08 AM

I've fond the most effective way to correct behaviour in a cat is hissing.
You can get cans of compressed air to do it for you, but I have a pretty effective impression anyway.

None of my cats have chewed cables, but Diz loves cardboard or paper (I have handed in numerous forms with cat teeth marks in) and Dylan used to love plastic. He would pierce the handles of my Bag For Life - lots of tiny perforations that would make the handles snap once the bag was full. Thanks babba. Damn, I still miss him.

Okay it doesn't belong in this thread because it is a success story of a kind, but I have finally trained Diz not to come and snuggle until I am ready to wake up. This is either when the alarm has gone off or when the light is on. He does chance it sometimes if he hears me stirring, but he hasn't actually woken me up for a good while now. Yay Diz!

No doubt I have jinxed this now and he will wake me up at 06.30 again tomorrow.

ETA this might have more to do with the mornings still getting darker rather than my training...

infinite monkey 12-08-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 778649)
make me an offer.

Hee. I used to say, when both Taj and Gaines were still with me, I had a sale on cats going: 2 for $1.98 or 1 for $500. Jokingly. They can drive you bonkers, even as you love them.

But I'm not ready for another cat yet. Still, I see them and want want want.

BigV 12-08-2011 10:43 AM

yes, bonkers. yes I love them. the plastic bag/covering chewing is merely weird and annoying. biting the cables and or power cords. very not cool.

technically, they're not my cats, they were given to my BD back in the day. I told the story around here somewhere, I'm sure. The upshot is that they stayed at the natal home whilst she galavanted off to college, graduated, boomeranged home, moved out again. She insists they're her cats. Ha. Sure, they're her cats, and the poop and pee and hair and clawing and shredded chewed household is mine, but the cats are hers. Riiiight.

I dare you to come get them. I did mention that BD's graduation present from me was a Rottweiller, didn't I? :lol:

infinite monkey 12-08-2011 10:50 AM

Out of my four cats, two had a plastic allergy. I found out soon when Toonces started looking like Mick Jagger, his lips so swollen from eating from his plastic bowl. Doc H told me that many cats are allergic to plastic. I bought metal dishes, or used glass.

However, same cats were attracted to plastic too (eating plastic wrappers when they found one, etc.)

Dunno if this is relevant.

ZenGum 12-08-2011 05:58 PM

Sometimes a kitteh has just got to chew, you know.

BigV 12-09-2011 02:37 PM

:rolleyes:

Please. Don't encourage them, m'kay?

Nirvana 12-14-2011 02:42 PM

I ordered 5 x mas gifts a week and a half ago and wondered why no shipped email etc. Well I called and was told oh yah that will ship on Jan 4th? WTF? :eyebrow: Yah no it won't, cancel that order then the lady tells me to have a nice day, again WTF? :mad2: how is that possible now grumble ^&^&^*%$

Sundae 12-14-2011 03:07 PM

I feel your pain.
I ordered something on 04/12/11. Christmas themed baking item.
It arrived today.

I wanted it to make goodies for the staff room.
No point now, only 2 days to go and on Friday we finish at midday (ie no staff having lunch at school).
Tomorrow we'll still be eating leftovers from the buffet today, so my efforts just wouldn't be appreciated in the same way.

I contacted the company mid-week last week and was told "Oh no, our standard shipping is 7 working days." Of course I was a fool for not checking, but you'd think they'd make it a bit more obvious at this time of year at least.

So I have to sit on this for A WHOLE YEAR NOW.
I won't send back because 1) I'd have to pay postage and 2) it's paid for now, and I'll still want it next year.

Disappointed though.

infinite monkey 12-14-2011 03:17 PM

You ordered it in APRIL? That's crazy!

monster 12-14-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 780295)
You ordered it in APRIL? That's crazy!

Are you just arseing around or did you not know dates are written day/month/year in the UK?

Sundae 12-14-2011 03:41 PM

Oops - I usually write dates in words to save confusion.
I can't comment on Shawnee's arse though...

infinite monkey 12-14-2011 03:46 PM

Oh you wacky people!

Yeah, I did think of it later but it took me awhile. Funny how we get so used to a certain way it's hard to see it any other way. Especially when you have a day that could easily be a month (1-12) ;)

Gotcha.

Actually my ex and I ordered online in the early days of being able to do so. We were so disappointed that nothing was coming on time we never did it again. So April didn't seem too farfetched. Of course, things have completely turned around since then.

HungLikeJesus 12-14-2011 04:08 PM

This is why we should all be using ISO 8601 date standard.

regular.joe 12-14-2011 04:45 PM

So, we are buying house with our VA loan. Should be a simple process. The processor calles me yesterday, three days before we close and says we need to give them another 1200.00 to close and they won't approve the loan if they don't see the money to cover the amount in our accounts. I said "WHAT"?! To make a long story short, they are trying to charge me for a transfer tax that does not exist in NC. So, I have a great realtor who says horse hockey, he does this stuff all the time. USAA is fucked up and now the process may not be able to close on Friday. We have friends and trucks lined up to move..etc....there is no reason to not be able to close. Man oh man, I'm sitting here right now waiting on a call from the processer to let us know the underwriter has approved the loan and can then send it to the lawyer in time to close on Friday. If it were not for the last minute nothing would ever get done. Yes this is really pissing me off right now.

Griff 12-14-2011 07:14 PM

Pete just asked me why I was scowling at the computer. friggin VA. sorry Joe

Nirvana 12-22-2011 06:02 PM

One thing that is pissing me off is this shortcut keyboard that erased the post I was going to make! :mad:

Trying again...

I have a Macy's card, I have had one since 1990 and since I am nowhere near a Macy's anymore I use it to buy online. Mostly my balance is zero. In Oct I bought 2 tops for $35.

I pay my bill online and in Nov I tried for 3 days to use their online bill pay and on the 3rd day the due date of the bill I called them so I could pay the balance in full on the phone because I could not do it online.

The lady apologized and knew they were having online trouble and that the phone fee to pay would be waived and I would not be charged any late fees should they occur. Oh and she says would you like to go paperless? It safer for the environment blah blah green blah blah, so I said sure. She told me if I had a balance I would get bill payment reminders in email. I have not used this card since Oct.

Today I get a collection bill in the snail mail for $64 WTF? :eek: So I call Macy's and after waiting 10 minutes I get Shawn Hardy [really?] whose Indian accent is so thick I can barely make out what he is trying to tell me and he was not understanding me either. I am good at deciphering foreigners speaking English!

Anyway after he understood that these were a late payment that should not have been charged and then a late payment charged on the late payment charge he offered to just let me pay one late payment charge. :eyebrow:

:rolleyes:

Sucking in air I explained to him again that I should not have been charged the original late payment so NO I am not going to pay any of this. Finally the light bulb went off. One of the charges has been removed but the second has to be forwarded to higher ups to be removed.

Well we'll see....:eyebrow:

dungeonsandlizards 12-23-2011 07:58 PM

I've got colds and I'm feeling lazy. >.<

busterb 12-24-2011 09:25 AM

Christmas cards with the fall-off-every-where glitter shit.

monster 12-24-2011 09:36 AM

Yesterday i miraclized most of the kitchen, today I'm all fired up to finish the job but there are holes in my right hand non-latex "rubber" glove. it was my last one. Everything in the stores at the moment is disposable or latex, neither of which will do the job. :( And no, you can't just turn the left one inside out.

(For those who don't know, I have chronic eczema on my hands and a severe latex allergy)

footfootfoot 12-24-2011 10:10 AM

What's your position on Nitrile?

All the cool kids have switched over to nitrile.

no endorsement of this company implied.

monster 12-24-2011 10:33 AM

Nitrile is what I use -Mr Clean Nyplex but I can't get them for love or money these days. I even called their helpline and they were "oh yes, they're available from all these stores....." looks like I'mm'a have to go bulk industrial, but that won't get me any today....

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...ootChecked=yes

monster 12-24-2011 10:34 AM

The disposable ones are no use, though -they just aren't strong enough. I can ge tindustrial strength ones in the stores -but they are too thick and are usually only available in humongous sizes.

/goldilocks

bluecuracao 12-24-2011 05:13 PM

Took a cab to the market this afternoon to pick up some last-minute items. Cabbie drops me off next to a parked car, but being in kind of a hurry, I'm not paying attention enough to ask him to pull up. So, of course when I open the door, I misjudge a little and it ends up lightly tapping the parked car.

And wouldn't you know, someone is sitting in the car. He pokes his head out his door and says, "Hey, thanks for hitting the car!" Me: "I'm sorry, it was an accident." Him: "Bitch!" Me, not the least bit sorry anymore: "F@#% you!"

Ah, 'tis the season! :bitching:

plthijinx 12-24-2011 05:40 PM

goldilocks my ass! :lol:

you're a trooper! manage and assess! or even go without gloves. i have a detergent allergy but if need be, i use my roommates even though it makes me itch like crazy...

ZenGum 12-24-2011 06:07 PM

Oh Beest, dear, bring Hebe, Hector and Thor to the kitchen, would you. There's some things that need doing that I would do, only I can't ...

I'd say you have got things "just right" indeed. :D Those gloves might not be available for some time ;)

monster 12-25-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 782853)
or even go without gloves. i have a detergent allergy but if need be, i use my roommates even though it makes me itch like crazy...

yes, allergic to detergents too. And most raw vegetable proteins... I am a trooper, but if I do anything in the kitchen without non-latex gloves, my hands will be out of action for at least a week -occasionally it has been to the point where I can't hold a steering wheel safely. Any other part of my body -if it were able to perform the task- would not react so badly, but I have had eczema on my hands all my life, the skin is so thin from all the steroid creams, I have no barrier whatsoever and right now, it's angry, swollen and raw already. "Itch like crazy" yeah, I could handle that. But that isn't where cleaning without gloves or with latex gloves takes me. It's taken me to hospital on more than one occassion. I'm no wuss. but I'm not stupid either.

Fortunately, we found an old pair of gloves that -whilst a little nasty- had no holes. So I was able to finish the kitchen and it's wonderful.

Lamplighter 12-28-2011 08:24 PM

Are people ever going to understand that if they are supposed to call someone,
they have the obligation to keep trying until they reach them.

If you want my business and you say you'll call me back,
then you better damn well keep trying til you get me.

I'm fed up with not hearing from someone when they are supposed to call me,
and if I call them they say "Oh, I called, but the line was busy" :mad2:

classicman 12-28-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Are people ever going to understand that if they are supposed to call someone,
they have the obligation to keep trying until they reach them.
Not sure about this one. If I call and leave a message or whatever, then thats on you.
I'm not gonna keep buggin you ... unless you owe me money.

footfootfoot 01-01-2012 09:13 PM

So I've been looking all over for the sinew that I processed and I can't find it anywhere. Tonight I'm down in the basement, in my laboratory, and I notice this plastic grocery bag down by the floor but jammed into the foundation. (Our foundation is from 1850 and is essentially dry stacked shale since lime and sand are not actually cement)

I reach to retrieve the bag and it's stuck into the wall, I pull and pull and it's like one of those magician's scarves. Finally I get the whole thing out and it's all chewed to shit. After a while I realize that it was the bag that had all my sinew inside. Had. The fucking critter even ate all the wax paper the sinew was wrapped in.

Fucking thing.

glatt 01-01-2012 09:33 PM

Of course, you know. This means war.

Nirvana 01-01-2012 10:11 PM

Elmer Fudd hats are making a fashion comeback, FFF do you wanna borrow Cashmere's for your "hunting critters" expedition? Or should I just be very very twiet? ;)

DucksNuts 01-01-2012 10:19 PM

Stupid new high speed internet connection.

Lying cocksuckers....there's no high speed, there's no reliability and your unlimited plans may be wonderful....if I could ever download anything.

Fuckbags.

classicman 01-01-2012 11:00 PM

The latest movie by F3 -----

Revenge of the squirrell

Nirvana 01-01-2012 11:03 PM

Ah DN welcome to my internet connection 24/7 for the foreseeable future :thepain:

{phone lines are so archaic they do not support high speed internet service}

it 01-02-2012 06:42 AM

an email conversation that started yesterday with my xwife has today ascelated to the point of a her threatening with a divorce war for finance and property, which i can win easily, but only by sinking to her level, and not without hurting the child in the process as i have enough material for her to plausibly loose custady of the child i took as my own and took care of for the last 18 months, but not for me to actually get custady because i am not his biological father.

i can't believe i was in love with that bitch and gave her the trust neccessry when your immigrating for someone and opening your heart to their child. how was i so blind? ok i know the answer and i am pretty sure it was good conversations and awesome sex, but still...its really hard to stop kicking my own balls for letting myself fall for her. its not like the signs weren't there, i just dismissed them instead of following what they mean about what sort of person she is.

footfootfoot 01-02-2012 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glatt
Of course, you know. This means war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Elmer Fudd hats are making a fashion comeback, FFF do you wanna borrow Cashmere's for your "hunting critters" expedition? Or should I just be very very twiet?

You think I don't already have an Elmer Fudd hat?

Trilby 01-02-2012 10:09 AM

well, that there seals the deal, footy.

I'm officially *in wuuuuuuuuuv*

:D

The hat combined with your poetic prowess is a powerful combination.