The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

glatt 02-23-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 712908)
It's a nice little writeup, to be sure... but it had been an internet forward going around for years at that point.

Yeah, I remember the same thing when I saw it back then too. Wasn't one of the creators/writers of West Wing doing serious drugs for a while and ended up being forced to take a break? Maybe this was one of the episodes that forced that break.

Gravdigr 04-11-2011 12:40 AM

What DVD's are we Watching?

Saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" a couple weeks ago.

Watched "The Girl Who Played With Fire" earlier tonight.

They were both better than I expected. I suppose "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" won't be any worse. Next week maybe.

wolf 04-12-2011 10:55 AM

re-watched Despicable Me with someone who hadn't seen it.

Still funny.

BigV 04-12-2011 11:56 AM

SonofV and I bought a brace of dvds Sunday, filling in some gaps in our classics collection. Since then, we've watched Pink Floyd's The Wall, Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, and Ghostbusters.

All excellent.

Undertoad 04-12-2011 12:52 PM

how much per

BigV 04-12-2011 01:35 PM

wall was $18 new
young frankenstein was $8 used, perfect condition
ghostbusters was $15 new (though the tamper protection/detection seal at the top of the box said "repackaged"... weird)

I shopped at Silver Platters.

Gravdigr 04-12-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 722469)
Saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" a couple weeks ago.

Watched "The Girl Who Played With Fire" earlier tonight.

They were both better than I expected. I suppose "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" won't be any worse. Next week maybe.

Re: "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", worst of the bunch by far. Not nearly as good as the other two. And it felt like it would never end. 2.5 hours never felt so long.

If ya ain't seen 'em, watch 'em.

Gravdigr 04-12-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 722690)
wall was $18 new
young frankenstein was $8 used, perfect condition
ghostbusters was $15 new (though the tamper protection/detection seal at the top of the box said "repackaged"... weird)

I shopped at Silver Platters.

"The Wall" & "Young Frankenstein" would've been deals at twice the price.

glatt 04-12-2011 02:25 PM

Years ago I taped the sound from a VHS copy of The Wall, and would listen to it more than I would listen to the actual album, which I own. It sounds better, and it makes more sense as an actual story. More recently, I converted the sound from the DVD of the movie into a bunch of MP3 files and listen to that. The only downside is a minor one. There are a couple of scenes without much music. Like when the soldiers are driving around on the beach after D-Day, and when the camera is doing a slow pan down the hallway and into the hotel room to see the catatonic Pink in his chair.

wolf 04-16-2011 07:40 PM

The Tourist

Lots of interesting camerawork, very Hitchcocky. Good action flick, even if I did figure it out within the first 20 minutes, it was fun watching the movie get there.

And Angelina's costuming has her looking at various times like Audrey Hepburn and Sophia Loren. There are probably others references that I missed.

Beest 04-16-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 711884)
DONT RENT THE EXPENDABLES! Instead, rent The A Team. It succeeds in having much more fun.

I wasn't so keen, I thought the action sequences in the A team were too fast cut, Stallone ( as director) does a good job on action sequences.

I suppose I agree that the A team is intended to be a lighter more fun movie, but the execution is poor.

Trilby 04-17-2011 03:34 AM

Dexter seasons 1,2, 3.

Dexter is my real, true soulmate.

:D

wolf 04-17-2011 01:03 PM

The Road.

Gray and depressing. Didn't like it at all, and I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction.

All of them should have been dead within weeks of the unnamed catastrophe involving lots of bright light and burning, and probably shouldn't have lasted through the 111 minutes of the movie, either.

Trilby 04-17-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 723697)
The Road.

Gray and depressing. Didn't like it at all...

Hated this movie. Depressing doesn't even begin to describe this downer.

Ugh. Two hours I'll never get back. I had to eat ice-cream right out of the container to soothe my soul.

wolf 04-17-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 723737)
I had to eat ice-cream right out of the container to soothe my soul.

I don't think I have that much ice cream ...