The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's For Breakfast? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23077)

Clodfobble 12-04-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
GFCF must make the appropriate subs with almond milk or something.

Er... and also substituting the oats. If you want oats that haven't been processed/contaminated with wheat, you have to order them specially online. And even then there's still debate over whether the protein in oats is sufficiently similar to gluten to cause problems anyway. Somewhere around half of celiac sufferers say they suffer pain from even the purest certified gluten-free oats.

But you could use quinoa!

Lamplighter 12-05-2010 12:43 AM

Clod, have you tasted Quinoa ? Is it good tasting ?

One of my G-kids seems to have a mild aversion to breads, but does eat oatmeal.
He talks about wanting to find some other kind of cereal.

Gravdigr 12-05-2010 01:33 AM

What's for breakfast? I'm thinking venison tenderloin, scrambled eggs, and grits. W/wheat toast.

Sundae 12-05-2010 07:42 AM

Lamp - I love quinoa.
Similar to couscous, but more... meaty? chewy? crunchy?
It's just a nicer mouthful with more texture. You feel you're really eating something.

Lamplighter 12-05-2010 07:57 AM

SG, thx, I'll tell the G-kid about it, maybe even try it myself

Trilby 12-05-2010 08:52 AM

peanutbutter toast.

fargon 12-05-2010 09:28 AM

:spam1:We had spam, eggs, and biskits.

Clodfobble 12-05-2010 03:23 PM

Lamp, Sundae's right, quinoa is fairly bland by itself, and the texture is like a bulkier couscous. You can also get quinoa "flakes," and that texture is more like instant oatmeal (very similar to rice cereal, if you've been around baby food anytime recently.)

monster 12-05-2010 05:13 PM

breakfast was toast in the car. both days of the weekend. I'm due something really yummy and seriously unhealthy tomorrow morning.

bluecuracao 12-05-2010 05:45 PM

Eggnog brioche french toast!

monster 12-05-2010 06:20 PM

Really? So not something I would entertain the thought of -even as a dessert. Horses for courses, though, at least it wasn't boring!

footfootfoot 12-05-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 698440)
Er... and also substituting the oats. If you want oats that haven't been processed/contaminated with wheat, you have to order them specially online. And even then there's still debate over whether the protein in oats is sufficiently similar to gluten to cause problems anyway. Somewhere around half of celiac sufferers say they suffer pain from even the purest certified gluten-free oats.

But you could use quinoa!

I met a celiac person's wife the other day and she told me that if you stirred regular pasta in the cooking water with the same spoon as his GF pasta, he would violently hurl almost immediately.

I'd say you'd pretty much have to buy your oats from the farmer and thresh them yourself. There is so much cross contamination and if you're anything as sensitive as this guy, I'd pretty much only eat vegetables.

Quinoa is pretty good and its flavor is immeasurably improved by lightly toasting in a cast iron pan first.

Clodfobble 12-05-2010 09:02 PM

Minifobette's not that sensitive, but Minifob is. Except instead of hurling, he screams, spins in circles, and refuses to make eye contact with you. And then has explosive diarrhea.

I've never heard of toasting the quinoa--are you supposed to do that before or after you boil it?

footfootfoot 12-05-2010 09:07 PM

Before. A lot of grains develop much more complex and nutty flavors when you pre toast them. I think it is more of the Maillard reaction, caramelizing the sugars creating new flavor compounds, etc.

Supposedly this is true of chocolate, but not pre-toasting. I think you are supposed to pour boiling water over the cocoa powder and it intensifies the chocolate flavor.

Some nuts are also more flavorful when toasted, hazelnuts for example.

Juniper 12-06-2010 12:57 AM

Toasted bagel with strawberry cream cheese.

The kids will have Toaster Scrambles. That's those square-shaped creations in the freezer with egg, bacon and cheese stuffed inside. Except they never can wait for the toaster oven to make them right so they cook them in the microwave so they're kind of mushy and gross.

Oh, wait, you say MOM is supposed to cook breakfast for her children before school? ::yawn:: Dang. Six is just too early for that crap. :)