The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Questionable Headlines (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27077)

infinite monkey 04-25-2013 08:26 AM

I love the Marky Mark...but I do believe that is a mood ring, and I do believe that the movie is so terrible that I have to watch it again and again.

I liked him better in Boogie Nights even if it was a stunt weiner at the end.

But it looks like when The Happening is happening he is relaxed and calm and loveable. That's what all the mood ring charts say, based on the deep blue.

Gravdigr 07-07-2013 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The new Yahoo format is a little, uhh, well...:

Attachment 44623
Attachment 44624

Gravdigr 07-07-2013 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also ran across this nugget:

Attachment 44625

That, my friends, is a salesman!

Flint 07-08-2013 02:45 AM

Awesome. That is the ultimate goal of all religious officials, and this man has cut out everything superfluous and gotten right to the point. Something about God, some book/scroll or something, fill in the blanks with some other crap, and basically suck my penis. That's patricarchal monotheism.

What better way to get your wang slobbered on than to equate it to some religious bullshit which was bullshit to begin with?

The real genius here is that he has connected the supernatural event to the actual cumshot.

Sundae 07-08-2013 03:49 AM

I wish I had a photo. I would have, if I'd remembered this thread existed.
I'd have bought the paper just for you and scanned it in.

Channel Four are broadcasting a call to prayer at 03.00 every morning during Ramadan.
For some reason, minor noise-making groups are up in arms about this, suggesting it threatens community cohesion or somesuch waste of words.

The Sun's sensitive headline for the story?
"Ramadan-a-Ding-Dong"

I laughed all the way home.

Gravdigr 07-12-2013 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DNA, evidence, and, apparently, Lisa Marie Presley.

Attachment 44701

ZenGum 07-12-2013 07:44 PM

DNA and evidence?

Wot, no ouija boards or "cop-hunches"?

Gravdigr 07-14-2013 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a headline, but, still, questionable.

Attachment 44723

Also, BJ Upton is not Caucasian.

ZenGum 07-14-2013 08:29 PM

Also, he's clearly bunting, probably as a sacrifice, but at best for a single, who ever he is.

Lamplighter 07-31-2013 03:44 PM

This "news" article could or maybe should go in the "Faux Science" thread...

ABC News
SYDNEY LUPKIN
July 31, 2013

Top Hospitals Fall Flat in Contested New Report

Quote:

Consumer Reports said some of the nation's top hospitals
performed the worst when it came to patient outcomes.
Massachusetts General Hospital and the Hospital for Special Surgeries,
which are both ranked top in the nation for various specialties
by U.S. News and World Report, got the lowest Consumer Reports Rating possible: a solid black circle.
<snip>
"The problem I have with this is that teaching hospitals,
which did poorly in this report, tend to have more complicated patients,"
said Dr. Richard Besser, chief health medical editor for ABC News.

"More complicated patients will tend to be in the hospital longer.
Community hospitals, which did better in this report,
often refer their more complicated cases elsewhere."
Remember all the "radial keratotomy" business ?
Our Medical School's Dept of Ophthalmology did not do them at all,
but instead treated all the cases with bad outcomes...
It was a very steady business.

Happy Monkey 08-01-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

"The problem I have with this is that teaching hospitals,
which did poorly in this report, tend to have more complicated patients,"
said Dr. Richard Besser, chief health medical editor for ABC News.

"More complicated patients will tend to be in the hospital longer.
Community hospitals, which did better in this report,
often refer their more complicated cases elsewhere."
Sounds like how charter schools often have better scores than the public schools that feed them.

Clodfobble 08-01-2013 10:56 AM

:rolleyes: Also, it is exactly like how charter schools often have worse scores than the public schools that feed them.

Charter schools in Texas, classified by type: in the greater Austin area, there are 30 charter schools.

--4 are non-members and thus unclassified, but I happen to know that two are for special needs kids, one is for delinquents, and one is an alternative Montessori-style curriculum where you don't get grades
--12 are "college preparatory"
--7 are "dropout recovery" or "RTC/JDC" (meaning a judge ordered attendance)
--7 are "specialized mission" (this includes those with a narrowly focused curriculum, like professional-level fine arts or vocational skills, as well as the school for extracurricular prodigies that compacts bare state requirements into a 4-hour day so the kids can spend the rest of the day playing violin or doing gymnastics or whatever thing they do.)

Based on the above, I believe you could make the claim that no more than half of the charter schools are likely to have higher-than-average test scores. The others will be lower.

But there's no need to derail the thread, it's all been said before, anyway.

glatt 08-01-2013 11:51 AM

That's a lot of charter schools. Maybe if you have too many charter schools in a given population, then the charter school self selecting magic doesn't work.

Clodfobble 08-01-2013 12:26 PM

I don't know, as a percentage it's not really that high. Not all of them serve all grades. There are 120 schools in just Austin ISD, and the greater Austin area includes Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD, Georgetown ISD, Pflugerville ISD, and Manor ISD as well. I know one family that even commutes from Elgin (30 minutes outside the city, where there are zero charter schools of any kind.)

Plus, they really do all serve different needs. There's only one of those 30 I would consider putting my kids in. Not because they're all bad schools, but because they're not appropriate for my particular kids. Charter schools most definitely should not replace the public school system; they are by definition meant to serve a minority, not the majority. But there are children who don't fit the mold of the public school system either, and they should be given an alternative.

Clodfobble 08-01-2013 12:34 PM

I got too curious, and we are kind of in a hippie/alternative area, so I counted the rest of the schools:

Round Rock ISD: 51 schools
Leander ISD: 38 schools
Georgetown ISD: 18 schools
Pflugerville ISD: 28 schools
Manor ISD: 12 schools

So 30 compared to 267, total percentage 30/297 = 10.1% of schools in the area.