The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 05-07-2007 01:36 PM

I made a terrible mistake. I forgot the corollary to THE RULE. THE RULE is that video games based on movies* suck. The corollary, of course, is that all movies based on video games suck.

I watched Doom. It came up on my netflix queue. I have to thinkk about THE RULE from now on when I rent a movie.

At least I didn't buy it. That would have been truly horrifying.

I did think the 5:30 minute FPS sequence was pretty cool, but it didn't save the rest of a very bad, very predictable movie.

I also watched Star Trek: Insurrection, which was just like watching an oversized episode. The new naming convention has confused me, but that must have been an even-numbered release, right?

-----
* except Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay. That game rocks.

King 05-16-2007 01:39 PM

Kill Bill Volume 2. Excellent.

davegore 05-19-2007 11:13 AM

the mrs wants to see 28 weeks later so it seemed a good idea to watch 28 days later, rented it last night...sounds fantastic on the home cinema, looked pretty good too but didn't really get going until the last 40 minutes or so.....7 out of 10.....so bring on 28 weeks later now

dave

duck_duck 05-20-2007 12:36 AM

The Crocodile Hunter Collision Course :)

Sun_Sparkz 05-22-2007 06:54 PM

a friend lent me De je Vu (cant spell it) to watch tonight. apparently it is brilliant - ill let you know how that goes.

DucksNuts 05-22-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 344766)
The Crocodile Hunter Collision Course :)

Devil spawn 2yr old and 4yr old LOVE that movie!

On our recent trip to Darwin, when we were on the Jumping Croc Cruise, Master #2 piped up with a spontaneous "CRIKEY!!!!" when one of the crocs jumped quite close to his part of the boat.

I'd say that joke has been done to death, but it was hilarious to all on the boat because it just naturally came out of his mouth when he got a fright.

TheMercenary 05-22-2007 11:34 PM

Daves Mathew Band Live at Folsom Field Bolder, CO.

wolf 05-23-2007 01:51 AM

Star Trek: Nemesis was not as bad as I had been lead to believe. Not great, certainly, about the same quality as a regular episode of the series, but not completely excreable.

jester 05-23-2007 10:53 AM

The Fountain - hard to describe - i didn't understand everything - it's one of those that jumps back & forth - i think i get the general idea, but still hard to follow.

glatt 05-25-2007 09:31 AM

I've been slowly going through the Firefly series. Got it for my birthday in April. I'm about halfway through. Trying to make it last.

Last night we watched Notes on a Scandal. Not a bad movie at all. Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett in a sort of psychological thriller that builds slowly but then gets good. Judy Dench makes a good stalker.

wolf 05-25-2007 10:16 AM

C.S. Lewis: The Magic Never Ends

jamesdalphonse 05-25-2007 01:27 PM

has anyone heard anything on the two new cd's by Yoko Ono. "Open You Box" and "Yes, I'm A Witch."???

wolf 05-26-2007 10:33 AM

Equilibrium

Someone I know who didn't like it recommended it to me. He even told me why he thought it was awful. I'm glad I listened to him, because I thought his description sounded pretty cool.

rkzenrage 05-26-2007 12:48 PM

Been watching a lot of Akira's cool noir stuff lately. High & Low is one of my favorites and, I think, under-appreciated.

bluecuracao 05-26-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 346770)
Last night we watched Notes on a Scandal. Not a bad movie at all. Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett in a sort of psychological thriller that builds slowly but then gets good. Judy Dench makes a good stalker.

I saw it last night--Judy was terrific at being creepy.

I also finally saw Pan's Labyrinth in its entirety. Very dream-like and intense at the same time...reminded me of reading Brothers Grimm fairy tales.

wolf 06-04-2007 10:29 AM

Sleepy Hollow

(I have no idea why I didn't see it before now.)

Clodfobble 06-04-2007 12:21 PM

I am probably the last person on the planet to finally see "Shaun of the Dead," but that has been remedied. Now we have "School of Rock" waiting patiently in its little Netflix envelope, but it will have to wait as we're still catching up on backlogged episodes of Heroes that happened while we were moving.

jester 06-08-2007 12:15 PM

watched "Pan Labyrinth" last night - it's rated R, in subtitles - it was ok - different than what i normally watch.

Cloud 06-08-2007 12:30 PM

Pan's Labyrinth was a very cool movie with a too-sad ending.

Clodfobble 06-08-2007 08:11 PM

Boondock Saints. It was alright, but not nearly as good as I'd been led to believe.

rockerreds 06-09-2007 10:09 AM

Broken Flowers

Cloud 06-09-2007 10:39 AM

Winged Migration.

I dug it out of my stack and watched it again. Absolutely AMAZING nature movie, with subtle social commentary, and supernaturally-filmed sequences of birds flying against the landscape all over the world.

the music can be a tad annoying sometimes, and there are a couple of squicky places, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

. . . and besides. Birds Are Cool.

wolf 06-17-2007 11:00 AM

Brothers Grimm (Terry Gilliam should have done way better with that concept)

XXX: State of the Union (I still haven't figured out why I didn't just turn it off in the first 10 minutes and move onto something else. There was absolutely nothing surprising in the movie.)

A Man Apart (Predictable plot, but Vin Diesel, yum)

Clodfobble 06-17-2007 10:13 PM

Ocean's Twelve. The dialogue was clever and amusing. The overall plot was retarded.

jester 06-18-2007 11:05 AM

Ghostrider - but had already seen it at the movies - if we like it there we usually buy the dvd

wolf 06-18-2007 01:02 PM

Hannibal Rising

I was very disappointed. Not really up to the rest of the series, and didn't flow as well as the book, even with the author writing the script.

Cloud 06-18-2007 01:12 PM

Brothers Grimm--sooooo disappointing, though Heath Ledger was really good in it. The movie just was awful, and I'm normally a fan of that type of movie, and not critical. It was just--bad.

Sundae 06-22-2007 04:36 PM

Just bought the latest version of Monty Python & The Holy Grail
I've said before that I'm not a huge Python fan, but there were so many extras on the DVD (2nd hand, £6) that it seemed worth it. I'd only ever seen it on TV before and I read Michael Palin's diaries last year and it whetted my appetite.

So far I am disappointed.
Not with the film - I knew what I was buying there.
I started with the extra I was most excited about - the commentary by Cleese/ Idle/ Palin. They were all recorded separately and spliced together. So no interaction, very often no comment at all, and no really amusing anecdotes.

I'm spoiled. My comedy heroes (The League of Gentlemen) are close friends and naturally funny - even when they're bitter the commentaries are worth the price of the DVD on their own. And they bounce off eachother marvellously - their special guest commentary on Blood on Satan's Claw is a comedy masterpiece.

And of course Mssrs Pegg & Wright who balance and counterbalance eachother's geekiness/ technicality/ humour with damn near perfection. Or at least they provide so many extras any dross gets forgotten :)

I'll bear with it - a host of extras I have yet to watch, including the Making Of mentioned in Palin's diary (this is a published book btw, I didn't just break in). It may satisfy me yet.

BigV 06-22-2007 05:33 PM

The Last King Of Scotland.

Excellent. four stars.

Cloud 06-22-2007 09:06 PM

Charlies Angels-Full Throttle. Funny, lots of eye candi, Drew Barrymore (one of my favorite actors) the panty dance, Helen Zass . . .:biglaugha

do you think the opening scene (with Helen drinking in the Mongolian pub) is deliberately evocative of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Cloud 06-22-2007 11:18 PM

okay, I answered my own question. There are a ton of movie references, like the "Rydell High" reunion and songs from movies, and the climax takes place at a Hollywood premier. So, deliberate for sure.

I like the house Lucy Liu lives in.

glatt 06-25-2007 08:27 AM

Saw Pan's Labyrinth over the weekend. Good movie, but not great. Should have been called "Faun's Labyrinth" not "Pan's Labyrinth" since there was a Faun in it but Pan was not.

No extras on the DVD, which is kind of crazy considering the type of movie it is.

Happy Monkey 06-25-2007 10:12 AM

Maybe Pan made the labyrinth, but left a random faun to guard it.

bluecuracao 06-25-2007 03:46 PM

I though ATL would be a heavy drama, a la Boyz in the Hood, because the cover montage featured a couple of very srs-looking guys. But it turned out to be a John Hughes-like coming-of-age-type story--kind of cute and funny, with just a little seriousness thrown in.

Dead Silence was one of the best horror flicks I've seen in a long time. Not super scary like The Shining, but lots of excellent creepy visuals, good plot, and not overly-bloody. I liked the alternate beginning and ending better.

wolf 06-26-2007 02:45 PM

The Big Lebowski - pretty undistinguished caper film, which is a shame. I usually love the Coen Brothers.

The Corpse Bride - Absolute delight. Cute film all around, at least to the extent that you can describe anything by Tim Burton as "cute."

Flint 06-26-2007 02:49 PM

Boo! Big Lebowski is a cult classic. Corpse Bride was half-baked, Tim Burton should be ashamed.

SteveDallas 06-26-2007 02:51 PM

I'm working on the respective first seasons of Battlestar Galactica and The Family Guy.

wolf 06-26-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 359025)
Boo! Big Lebowski is a cult classic.

I don't get why, though.

It's no Raising Arizona, and doesn't even come close to the brilliance of Fargo.

wolf 06-27-2007 12:14 AM

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

I was disappointed. Could have been a lot creepier.

jester 06-27-2007 01:50 PM

The Shooter

DanaC 06-27-2007 02:18 PM

Stranger Than Fiction. Excellent film.

jester 07-09-2007 11:04 AM

The Covenant - saw it at the movies, but again if we like at the theatre - we will buy the dvd

bluecuracao 07-10-2007 03:48 AM

Fur--I like Nicole Kidman, but I think someone with more...quiet intensity, maybe...would have been better in the Diane Arbus role. If you decide to watch it, you might want to be somewhat familiar with Arbus' work first; otherwise it will just seem like a pointlessly weird movie. But if you enjoy movies like that anyway, then never mind.

Spexxvet 07-10-2007 07:31 AM

Epic Movie and Wicker Man - both sucked.

Rexmons 07-10-2007 07:38 AM

The Boondock Saints = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

glatt 07-10-2007 08:53 AM

Just watched The Apple. It's supposed to be so bad, it's good. But really it's just bad. A horrible 70's musical.

Also just watched The U.S. v. John Lennon. It was at times interesting. A documentary of Lennon's anti-war activities. One cool part was the footage from his home movies with his son in the late 70's. Lennon was basically a recluse then, and I'd never seen footage of him from that time period. Conservatives will hate this documentary. Very liberal.

Ibby 07-10-2007 10:04 AM

Stranger than Fiction. Cute movie, kinda sweet, kinda funny... but not honestly all that good. It was okay, but not really of rewatch quality.

wolf 07-11-2007 01:47 PM

The Lone Gunmen (tv series, the X-Files spinoff that nobody watched)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest. (wasn't impressed, but at least now I've seen them)
Ghost Rider (cool, could have been better, of course, but it was fun to see)

Uisge Beatha 07-11-2007 06:48 PM

Hamish Macbeth (mid 90's BBC tv series) -- Nothing extraordinary, but quite entertaining. To be fair, I like Robert Carlyle and do love stuff from the BBC, so it might be coloring my opinion. I understand the character is from a series of mystery books; so far the mystery element has been understated, however.

wolf, I agree with you on Ghost Rider - good, but like many movie versions of comics, could be even better.

wolf 07-15-2007 09:42 AM

Starship Troopers 2 (big mistake)

The Scorpion King (not bad, but I thought it would have more to do with The Mummy. It was supposed to be a prequel, wasn't it?)

DucksNuts 07-15-2007 07:29 PM

Ghost Rider - didnt mind it.

Although, Nicks body kinda blew my mind....it just doesnt look right? and his face looks weird in this movie (no, smartarses, not when its a skull!!).

rkzenrage 07-16-2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 364178)
The Scorpion King (not bad, but I thought it would have more to do with The Mummy. It was supposed to be a prequel, wasn't it?)

Huh... I had no idea.

Uisge Beatha 07-16-2007 05:08 AM

Yeah, wolf's right on the money with The Scorpion King. What got me the most was that he was the hero in the prequel and a villian in The Mummy.

Thinking about this again got me looking back into the Universal classic monster movies. I just re-watched the Frankenstein movies -- Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, and House of Frankenstein. There were some inconsistencies I'd forgotten, but nothing too bad (other than the monster gaining and losing the ability to speak). I'd say Son was probably my favorite, mostly for the cast and the sets; the first three all have great value, though. I feel the last two movies were just milking the franchise. I enjoyed Ghost and House when I was a kid, but they don't work so well for me now.

rockerreds 07-20-2007 01:03 PM

For Love of the Game

DucksNuts 07-20-2007 08:13 PM

Shooter - omg, I love that movie.

Marky Mark just does it for me on soooo many levels.

bluecuracao 07-20-2007 08:22 PM

My sister met him many years ago. They got into a huge argument for some reason.

wolf 07-23-2007 10:57 AM

Eragon (bad movie of a moderately good book)

The Incredibles (hilarious)

Happy Monkey 07-23-2007 12:00 PM

Castle of Cogliostro. A fun little anime with just one unusual flying contraption.

Cicero 07-23-2007 01:01 PM

"The Donner Party" great little documentary.
Well, it was agreed that it was much better than "My Ex-Girlfriend is a Super Hero."

Chewbaccus 07-23-2007 04:09 PM

Just watched "Death Of A President". Not bad: the faux-"Dateline" program that makes up the movie is more focused on the social climate that would foster an act like that without being rooted in a coup d'etat attempt. This as opposed to focusing on the political fallout following the shooting, which I had expected to see going in.