The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's for Dinner? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6848)

bbro 12-12-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 916163)
Posers.

Two days ago I had a Red Baron pizza for breakfast.

And about two weeks ago I had chili. For breakfast.

I had the skillet lasagna/pasta for breakfast today :P

BigV 12-12-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 916039)
[Heavy Panting] Yes! Yes! I had bologna and banana for breakfast. Squeee! [/Heavy Panting]

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 916057)
:lol2:

You two crack me up. Thoroughly needed today!

One more for ya: DORITOS FOR BREAKFAST!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 916163)
Posers.

Two days ago I had a Red Baron pizza for breakfast.

And about two weeks ago I had chili. For breakfast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 916222)
I had the skillet lasagna/pasta for breakfast today :P

Menu drift...

fargon 12-16-2014 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had bones for supper last nite

fargon 12-16-2014 08:02 AM

The aftermath
I tried to upload the aftermath, and after re sizing the pic three times it still would not load. FUCKING COMPUTERS!!!

DanaC 12-16-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 915933)
Yesterday I had the potato soup (more like loaded baked potato soup) and beef with cheese and spinach inside. This is also for lunch today cause that's how I do :)

Today I am making skillet lasagna, but I'm using something other than lasagna noodles. Why? Cause I want to. I am hankering for a different noodle shape.

Lasagna noodles?

bbro 12-16-2014 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
fargon - those look gorgeous. I have never been able to successfully make bones of any time

Dana - like these pictured. Do you have a different name for them?

DanaC 12-16-2014 10:11 AM

Yeah - pasta sheets.

'noodle' is only ever used to refer to long thin strips/strands. Like the stuff you get in noodle soup, or chow mein. It isn't used as a wider word for pasta, as (I now realise) it is used in the US.

BigV 12-16-2014 04:15 PM

fargon, those look delicious. damn.

footfootfoot 12-16-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 916515)
Yeah - pasta sheets.

'noodle' is only ever used to refer to long thin strips/strands. Like the stuff you get in noodle soup, or chow mein. It isn't used as a wider word for pasta, as (I now realise) it is used in the US.

It's funny, I call them Lasagna noodles, and spaghetti, capellini, fettucini, ramen, soba, are also noodles, but any other pasta shape is either pasta or whatever its Italian name is. Farfalle, Ditalini, gemelli and so on.

Big Sarge 12-16-2014 09:30 PM

Addie fixed latkes with onion and garnished with a dollop of sour cream. Quite proud of my 7 year old. Of course, Elizabeth hovered over her. They just got through playing dreidel. They used pralines for coins.

DanaC 12-17-2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 916545)
It's funny, I call them Lasagna noodles, and spaghetti, capellini, fettucini, ramen, soba, are also noodles, but any other pasta shape is either pasta or whatever its Italian name is. Farfalle, Ditalini, gemelli and so on.

Ahh now - spaghetti is never called noodles here - that's spaghetti. Or pasta.

sad_winslow 12-17-2014 03:51 AM

Hi guys. Those ribs look pretty excellent, and latkes, my god I'd shank someone kosher-style for a pile of good latkes about now. A smooth, clean draw across a major artery with a blade so fresh and sharp that god could shave with it and not realise for a week that it's taken an eyebrow and half an ear along with it. In exchange for potato things. Fair trade.

I just wanted to tell you guys I tried, and fucked up horribly, making african food tonight: a Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce. I forgot to get normal, natural peanut butter from the store for the sauce, and it turns out that choosy africans don't actually choose Jif. Who knew? The end result isn't terrible, as such, but it's a lot like I'm eating some interesting and exotically seasoned food between bites of a peanut butter sandwich. Luckily, I did not actually add the sauce directly to the rice, so in the end what I've got left is a pot of wild rice with carrots, onions, and a few dabs of mushroom and potato, and some spicy peanut goober with mushrooms and onions. Lesson learned. I think I'll try just putting peanuts in the rice next time.

Other than that, I wanted to ask readers here: thoughts on "kombucha" tea? Anyone tried it, liked it, disliked it? I think I like it, but it's a very odd thing to me.

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2014 11:15 AM

Does that mean you've had a proper "Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce" to compare?

Clodfobble 12-17-2014 02:41 PM

Kombucha is fermented, and tastes like it. If you enjoy things like kimchi, real sauerkraut, etc., then you will probably also enjoy the tang of kombucha. Most people I know drink it because it's good for them, not because they genuinely like the flavor.

sad_winslow 12-17-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 916594)
Does that mean you've had a proper "Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce" to compare?

Well, I think I had something closely approximating it, anyways. My boss is a wildlife ecologist specializing in large mammals of africa; he lives in africa quite a large portion of the year and has done so for ages, he and his wife both. They invited me to a christmas dinner party a couple weeks ago and what they served as the main course was an african rice pilao with mushrooms and onions and a spicy peanut sauce. A Tanzanian student was also in attendance and it seemed to meet with his approval, and I loved it to pieces, myself. Relatively simple in nature, but surprisingly complex in flavor thanks to the addition of a spice blend that's a combination of cumin, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and cinnamon. Also some things like ginger, garlic, cayenne, and green chiles, and a little coconut milk. It's quite a lovely taste, a lovely sort of subdued, earthy spice going on. I had to blend the spice mix by hand, though, and one thing I probably need to do is let them all integrate together a bit longer before I use them again. I can say that today, after it's been in the fridge overnight, the cooked dish actually smells and tastes even better than it did last night, in part because the flavors were able to meld together a bit better.