The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Clodfobble 09-08-2010 06:11 PM

Sorry squirrel. :(

lumberjim 09-08-2010 06:37 PM

war is retarded. fights in general are retarded. why cant we just be.

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2010 10:35 PM

Getting pretty hard to find someone that doesn't know of a fatality in Iraq/Afghanistan, related to their social/professional circle. I know several, and it sucks.:(

Sundae 09-11-2010 06:49 AM

At Mum & Dad's church they regularly pray for the soldiers.
And not just from Christian goodwill - there are at least three familes with sons serving overseas that I know of, and possibly more.
No fatalities among the congregration but the fear is always there, and the worry that it's only a matter of time.

Mum & I still haven't made up.
We're just avoiding eachother.
Still, stalemate is better than outright confrontation, which always makes me feel sick.

casimendocina 09-13-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 681822)
Mum & I still haven't made up.
We're just avoiding eachother.
Still, stalemate is better than outright confrontation, which always makes me feel sick.

Maybe let it go for a while, send a card tomorrow for her FC day and the need to discuss the incident might slowly disappear if there are other more pressing things at hand. i.e. not to say that there is anything identical in your situation, but tree falling on my house means that I have something logistical to discuss with my folks so we don't need to discuss anything sensitive. They feel useful because they can offer advice and I feel as if I'm fulfilling my daughterly duties, so win, win.

Sundae 09-13-2010 09:45 AM

Casi, that's exactly how I plan to approach it.

The way things are at present:
I said I wouldn't eat another meal with her again, and I am sticking to it.
As it was her initial request, I'm waiting for her to ask me down to lunch or dinner.
It is VERY childish, I am aware of that.

However she did make a Sunday roast yesterday, plated some up for me and left it in the fridge with a note saying I was welcome to it and to bin it otherwise. She called to me before I read it, saying the same thing and I said "Thank you very much" as was appropriate. I had it for lunch today.

On the other hand, she shouted up to me that "my" washing had finished. Despite the fact I'd removed "her" washing from the machine and pegged it out. We don't differentiate in this house. We both look after Dad and Grandad these days - I simply start and stop and peg out and tumble dry and iron (in the last 4 months anyway) as necessary. She does more than me - I admit. But she has less to do than she did before I moved in. This was like being back in a student house. But then I say that - I had two ironed tops on my door this afternoon. I just think we're both being careful.

We're slowly reaching rapprochement. I got two growing-up-in-London based autobiographies from the library today and offered them to her. They might be rubbish, but it was half an olive, if not a whole branch.

We'll get by.
It's our worst falling out I can remember. Over something so silly. But the problem is both of us believe we were right, even after the tide of temper went out.

And of course I've hammered another nail in the coffin of my relationship with my sister.
Oh well, I was a fool to think that would ever be revived as anything other than a shambling zombie anyway.

Pico and ME 09-13-2010 01:27 PM

Some of my most hurtful disagreements have been with my mother. It just is, what can you say. However, we both know that no matter how bad they might get, no matter what, we will always have each others back.

Pico and ME 09-17-2010 10:54 AM

Took Pico in for a teeth cleaning and at least one tooth extraction this morning and he ends up needing 7 TEETH pulled. :thepain:

Whats worse is the price tag...$700!!!!!!! :eek:

omfg

xoxoxoBruce 09-17-2010 07:23 PM

You're going to have to wait up, and mug the tooth fairy. :haha:

HungLikeJesus 09-17-2010 09:26 PM

Do you want to borrow my pliers?

footfootfoot 09-17-2010 09:53 PM

Pico and ME 09-17-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 683091)
Do you want to borrow my pliers?

Damn, if only.

monster 09-25-2010 04:07 PM

My eczema is bad. :( It always seems to get worse this time of year, presumably some seasonal allergen. It will get better, but right now my hands are sore, raw and weepy and it's driving me nuts.

elSicomoro 09-25-2010 10:02 PM

I'm in the process of a divorce. However, I will say nothing further about that until the matter is settled.

While at work on Wednesday, I thought I was having a low blood sugar attack...I collapsed while using the bathroom, breaking my right leg and twisting my left leg. Apparently, I was not suffering from low blood sugar, but severe dehydration brought on by a stomach virus...I had no clue.

Today I just started feeling like myself again...I might actually eat a meal tonight. My boss was able to procure a wheelchair for me from work (we deliver pharmaceuticals and homecare supplies at our KC office), so I can get around work and my hotel. And people from the office have been bringing me to and from work.

But I'm 250 miles from home. For the first time really in my adult life, I am on my own...and I am okay with that. But it is scary as fuck! I am basically relying on the kindness of strangers to help me out here in Kansas City. My bosses have been thrilled with the work I'm doing out here, so they're okay with me staying. Of course, if I had to go home, I'd be fucked...because I'd probably have to go back out on the road, and I probably won't be able to drive properly again for 2-4 weeks.

I'm in a helluva lot of pain, and I still can't walk on my foot, even though I'm in a walking cast. I'm too heavy for crutches, and a wheelchair is no fun to push with low upper body strength. I have nothing but respect for people in wheelchairs...not that I didn't before, but I've only been in one for 3 days and I'm about ready to stab my eyes out.

And what sucks the most is having to rely on others to help you. I don't mind asking for help, but when it's for simple shit that you normally do yourself, it feels almost soul-destroying. Not to mention, you're on someone else's schedule, which generally drives me nuts.

Thank you for your time.

Cloud 09-25-2010 10:05 PM

jaw drops at Sycamore. That's awful!

Divorce is one of the most stressful (but imo, rewarding!) things. But take better care of yourself!

No Dwellars nearby that could lend a hand?

elSicomoro 09-25-2010 10:13 PM

Well, Elspode is actually nearby...we keep meaning to hang out.

Cloud 09-25-2010 10:29 PM

if ever a time you needed to call up a friend . . .

Griff 09-26-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 684993)
I'm in the process of a divorce. However, I will say nothing further about that until the matter is settled.

While at work on Wednesday, I thought I was having a low blood sugar attack...I collapsed while using the bathroom, breaking my right leg and twisting my left leg. Apparently, I was not suffering from low blood sugar, but severe dehydration brought on by a stomach virus...I had no clue.

Today I just started feeling like myself again...I might actually eat a meal tonight. My boss was able to procure a wheelchair for me from work (we deliver pharmaceuticals and homecare supplies at our KC office), so I can get around work and my hotel. And people from the office have been bringing me to and from work.

But I'm 250 miles from home. For the first time really in my adult life, I am on my own...and I am okay with that. But it is scary as fuck! I am basically relying on the kindness of strangers to help me out here in Kansas City. My bosses have been thrilled with the work I'm doing out here, so they're okay with me staying. Of course, if I had to go home, I'd be fucked...because I'd probably have to go back out on the road, and I probably won't be able to drive properly again for 2-4 weeks.

I'm in a helluva lot of pain, and I still can't walk on my foot, even though I'm in a walking cast. I'm too heavy for crutches, and a wheelchair is no fun to push with low upper body strength. I have nothing but respect for people in wheelchairs...not that I didn't before, but I've only been in one for 3 days and I'm about ready to stab my eyes out.

And what sucks the most is having to rely on others to help you. I don't mind asking for help, but when it's for simple shit that you normally do yourself, it feels almost soul-destroying. Not to mention, you're on someone else's schedule, which generally drives me nuts.

Thank you for your time.

Ah brother, bad times, sorry to hear it. :sniff:

classicman 09-26-2010 05:21 PM

Bummer - seems to be going around a lot lately.

morethanpretty 09-26-2010 05:23 PM

Wow! How humiliating to break your leg while peeing! That sucks syc, hope your good luck turns out for the better and you meet a nice hawt nurse (or doctor) to make up for the divorce.

footfootfoot 09-26-2010 06:00 PM

MTP, it might have been #2. Just sayin'.

zippyt 09-26-2010 09:05 PM

That Sucks Syc
May I reMIND you Folks ELVIS The KING Died on the thrown !!!

So Breakeing yer leg in the Crapper is Not that Bad !!!

Rock ON SYC !!!!

BigV 09-27-2010 12:07 AM

sorry to hear your bad news, Sycamore. Good luck. You've already broken a leg.

xoxoxoBruce 09-30-2010 03:11 AM

An old friend, now living in Florida, is getting a triple bypass today.

classicman 09-30-2010 10:33 AM

I hope all goes well for him/her. A friend of my fathers had a triple done a few years ago and the ole codger is now out and about goin fishin and all. Turned out really well for him.

wolf 09-30-2010 12:12 PM

Oh, crap, Syc. I'd wondered why I hadn't heard from you in a while.

Blessings, love, and luck to you, buddy.

morethanpretty 10-05-2010 10:53 AM

Almost $300 doctor visit for sinus infection and I still have to go get the meds. Well that brings my deductible down to only $3400.

morethanpretty 10-05-2010 04:52 PM

$171 for the meds

Spexxvet 10-06-2010 04:33 PM

Holy shit! That sux.:mad:

Getgo 10-06-2010 05:15 PM

The outside of my left nostril is swollen from a small zit. I had a hell of a time popping it with my fingers so I scraped it off with a little screwdriver.

morethanpretty 10-06-2010 05:47 PM

next time try holding a hot compress on it for a while before going to bed. usually ready to pop the next morning (ew). Or just treat it with witch hazel and tea tree oil, much better.

morethanpretty 10-06-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 686937)
Holy shit! That sux.:mad:

Yeah I know, $3750 deductible...what the fuck? I'm on my parent's plan and its $200/mo. I looked at plans today, a decent one is $244/mo...$50 extra than the quote because they're going to charge me extra for actually using the damn insurance I buy. Not to mention the $30 non-refundable application fee...what the fuck? Then they can still deny me based on pre-existing conditions or deny me coverage on that condition. Fuck private for profit insurance.

Clodfobble 10-06-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty
Then they can still deny me based on pre-existing conditions or deny me coverage on that condition.

If this actually happens, get it to happen two more times, and then you can present your three denial papers and get onto the new federal program (just kicked in as of July 1st.) I know several families who have done this and they say they are pleased with the cost vs. coverage, though I haven't heard specific numbers from them.

Lamplighter 10-06-2010 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Upstairs toilet line blocked...

1st plumber says broken line underground, but he doesn't know exactly where.
$342 for that tidbit of information

2nd plumber with in-line camera says it's 3 ft down, 2 ft out from house and under the buried TV cable.
He says it will be 2 men @ $95/hr + $75 for truck+camera... OR,

"Just dig down following pipe from the "clean out" and you'll find where the soil lines comes together... then call us"
$238 for that tidbit.

I'm now 4+ hrs into digging, 2 cups of coffee, and a Motrin.
No bodies or treasure yet... will attack the beast again tomorrow.

footfootfoot 10-06-2010 08:23 PM

Judging from the looks of it, you'll want to replace that entire line from where it leaves the house to the septic or sewer. Get a backhoe, replace it once for the rest of your life. Those fees seemed high for just a visit, would they be offset if you hired them to do the job? Are you in the hinterlands, or do you reek of money?

Lamplighter 10-06-2010 08:54 PM

The town reeks of money... not us, for sure !

Getgo 10-07-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 686948)
next time try holding a hot compress on it for a while before going to bed. usually ready to pop the next morning (ew). Or just treat it with witch hazel and tea tree oil, much better.

I will give that a try next time. Thank you. :)

HungLikeJesus 10-07-2010 08:17 PM

Or you can use a soldering iron.

DanaC 10-08-2010 11:30 AM

Just found out my Auntie Stella has cancer. Kidneys, bowels, stomach, liver.

as a kid I used to jokingly call Stell my 'Other Mother'. When Mum and Dad divorced, me and Mum lived with Stell for several months.

One of my earliest and fondest memories is of the eve of my 5th Birthday, when Stell visited and had a big roll of Polo mints (at the time the only sweet I was allowed to eat). She let me eat all the polos.

I haven't seen much of her the last few years. She married a guy about 5 years ago who seemed to change her. She stopped being so close with her kids, her sisters and us nieces and nephews. Just the last 12 months she has started to come back out of herself and get involved in family stuff.

Mum and i were only talking the other day about how Stell seems like herself again. And how they'd arranged to have more regular visits with each other and their older sister Jaqui.

This is going to hit Mum so hard.

Fuck cancer.

classicman 10-08-2010 11:31 AM

So sorry Dana, :'(

Shawnee123 10-08-2010 11:39 AM

:(

Fuck cancer. Dammit.

Undertoad 10-08-2010 11:40 AM

Sorry Dana.

Clodfobble 10-08-2010 02:45 PM

Dammit. Sorry Dana.

glatt 10-08-2010 03:36 PM

Oh, that sucks. I'm sorry Dana. :(

DanaC 10-08-2010 03:36 PM

Thanks guys.

It's the effect on Ma that worries me most. Obviously, the thought of Stell goiing through this is horrible, but it's how it will impact on Ma that I'm most concerned about. She and Stell are only 18 months apart in age; the youngest two of a big family, they were almost like twins as kids.

Then there's the fact that their older sister Jaqui has been diagnosed with cOPD (the thing that killed my Dad). 'The Three Sisters' they've always been known as. There's a painting of three mountain peaks by that name, and all three of them take it as a kind of emblem.

*sighs*

God I hate this. This age when the 'grown-ups' start falling away and us 'kids' have to accept their, and our, mortality :P

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2010 05:11 PM

All you can do is love 'em when they need it most, and honor 'em by being your best... fuck cancer. :sniff:

Griff 10-08-2010 08:03 PM

Sorry Dana.

limey 10-09-2010 02:32 AM

So sorry to hear this, Dana. Fuck cancer. Just fuck it.

Spexxvet 10-09-2010 09:43 AM

Sorry dana. Fuck cancer

morethanpretty 10-09-2010 09:51 AM

That sucks dani. Fuck cancer and COPD.

DanaC 10-12-2010 03:18 AM

Thanks guys.

I mentioned in another thread that we have a prognosis now. The consultant says with no treatment she has maybe 9 months. With treatment, he hopes they can double that.

Her son and eldest daughter are both living in NZ at the moment. I believe they're both flying out today for an extended visit.

Here's a thing: turns out she went to her GP three or four times over this. Having had a really bad back for a while, she had an op about two months ago. She felt tons better after that, and was pretty upbeat. Then, within a week she started feeling shit agan, lots of new symptoms etc. Coming straight off the back of other health problems (first a heart problem, then her back) being ill and in pain again made her quite despressed.

So...off she goes to her Doc, who says there's nothing to worry about, probably she's just feeling run down after her op. Goes back a second time, the Doc insists there's nothing wrong; asks her if she's maybe depressed? Stell says yes she is, but because she's feeling so ill.

A third visit, and this time the Doctor tells her, it's in her head, she's depressed and that she had seen and heard "not one single thing to raise her concerns." She said all this in a dismissive, angry manner. She treated Stell like she was a hypochondriac. She offered to arrange her some counseling.

A fourth visit and Stella insisted that there was something amiss; and that she wanted it investigating NOW.

We have friends and family who work in the health service, and Stell's ex son-in-law is a doctor at the hospital where she now is. He got hold of her medical records and says that at the time her GP was telling her it was in her head, and that there was 'not one single thing' to flag concern; there were in fact FIVE things in her records that should have raised concern. Any single one of which warranted immediate investigation.

The primary tumor is an extremely aggressive form of cancer, but it is also one that can usually be successfully treated if caught early enough. The GP held her off for almost 6 weeks. Which we believe is roughly how long it has taken to go from a very early and treatable tumour, to the death sentence she now has.

Stella will be the third of Mum's siblings and the fifth family member, to be killed by medical negligence or malpractice.

Clodfobble 10-12-2010 08:54 AM

I'm so sorry Dana. I fucking hate doctors so very much. Your family has my deepest condolences.

skysidhe 10-12-2010 09:07 AM

:(

footfootfoot 10-12-2010 09:14 AM

Kick that doctor in the taco, Paco.

What a crap.

classicman 10-12-2010 11:37 AM

Grrrrrrrrr - so sorry Dana. This scares me so much. I've heard too many stories of people who go to their doctor only to be told there is nothing wrong with them whereby later to be proven the patient was right.... only the admission came too late.

elSicomoro 10-22-2010 08:37 AM

I just came home from KC for good yesterday. My dad is in his final days.

He has never fully recovered from his lung cancer surgery in July, and he now has pneumonia in his good lung. He's so weak from all the other battles that this is it. It could be days, it could be hours.

My mom is holding her own...she's a remarkably strong woman, and has held up pretty well during all this. My brother is not handling it well and is an even bigger shithead than he normally is. Add to this, we had to inform my stepsisters, who are not really part of the family because they are fucking idiots in general.

Guess who gets to lead the brigade?

Did I mention that my mom's oldest sister--who is like a second mom to me--is now suffering from advanced dementia and may have terminal bladder cancer?

And I'm finally filing for divorce early next week. Our wedding anniversary was Wednesday...that was a great fucking day!

When it rains, it pours. But the skies will eventually clear.

DanaC 10-22-2010 08:53 AM

*Hugs Sycamore*

One foot in front of the other m'dear. It's the only way.

Oh and fuck cancer, good and proper.

glatt 10-22-2010 08:53 AM

Jeez sycamore, you can't seem to catch a break. 2010 is going to go down as the year from hell for you.

You'll get through this. Just keep the good attitude.

:comfort:

Shawnee123 10-22-2010 08:55 AM

Hang in there, syc. What a horrible time for you. :(

classicman 10-22-2010 01:34 PM

So sorry. Hang in there. Hugs to mom.