The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Define a Lefty... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12240)

Aliantha 10-31-2006 10:29 PM

Define a Lefty...

...in your own words.

And remember!

GO HARD!!! Let it all out!

rkzenrage 10-31-2006 10:37 PM

Not my own words...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...imaolib600.gif

Aliantha 10-31-2006 10:39 PM

lol...very funny.

And now in your own words?...

mrnoodle 10-31-2006 10:42 PM

one that has the safety on the right side? Wait, what thread is this again? Dammit.

rkzenrage 10-31-2006 10:47 PM

LOL!

marichiko 10-31-2006 10:55 PM

Lefties want to take YOUR hard earned money and hand it to some worthless street scum who should actually be turned into solvynt green. Lefties undermine this great country's effort to gobble up oil - err, I mean make the world safe for freedom by uttering words of criticism about US foreign policy. Lefties are more worried about some dead Iraqi baby who probably would have grown up to be a terrorist, anyway, than they are concerned with Halliburten's annual profits. Lefties believe in global warming and are trying to undermine big business on the premise that this fairy tale is actually true. Same with other environmental issues. By time the last tree in the rain forest is cut down, we'll all be dead. Let the the damn younger generation worry about it. If the lefties would get out of the way, this country could become what it aspires to be - a cartel of international corporations and powerful special interests who run the world for their benefit. There would be no EEO, no civil rights, no ADA laws, and darkies and women would return to their rightful places in life. Damned lefties! Why not just call 'em what they really are? Red Commies!:frog:

rkzenrage 10-31-2006 10:56 PM

If they put it down the left side of their jeans?

Aliantha 10-31-2006 10:59 PM

I'm so offended Marichiko lol Lefties aren't that bad are they?

rkzenrage 10-31-2006 11:00 PM

Taste like tofu.

Aliantha 10-31-2006 11:03 PM

There's nothing wrong with Tofu in small doses...or large if you happen to be Japanese.

Aliantha 10-31-2006 11:04 PM

Who I might add happen to be very 'right' in their thinking.

marichiko 10-31-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha
I'm so offended Marichiko lol Lefties aren't that bad are they?

Ask UG. Ask Maggie. Ask any number of people here. Anyone left of extreme neocon is a traitor to the country. Logic or compassion doesn't enter into the argument. Compassion is for the weak. Patriotism is for the gullible. Poor people are inherently lazy and could be millionaires if they felt like it. The elderly living on Social Security should have invested their $6.00/hr they got working as a janitor all their lives in blue chip stocks.

I just read a terrific essay on another board that touches on this very topic. Here's the link: http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.p...72#post3883672

It starts off with a couple of replies to comments made earlier, then goes right to the heart of the matter. :eyebrow:

Aliantha 10-31-2006 11:28 PM

Well, I think one of the nice things about lefties is their ability to see humour instead of only postulating 'the facts' as they see them.

marichiko 11-01-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha
Well, I think one of the nice things about lefties is their ability to see humour instead of only postulating 'the facts' as they see them.

I think one big difference between the left and the right, is that the right tends to be dour and self righteous. Seldom do you see a neocon poking fun at himself. ;)

Spexxvet 11-01-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage

Trolling?

Bullitt 11-01-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Inspired by ryhming slogans and giant puppets, liberals sometimes congregate into groups known as "protests." The purpose of these is unknown.
:rotflol:
hilarious

Pie 11-01-2006 02:43 PM

Someone who uses their left hand predominantly? Or scissors made for such an individual? :eyebrow:

mrnoodle 11-03-2006 08:26 AM

Equal time!!!1! They're making fun of conservatives in the "righty" thread. Someone make fun of lefties, quick. I can't think of anything this early in the morning, other than Ted Kennedy leaving that girl to die and still getting elected.

DanaC 11-03-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

The most dangerous predator of liberals is the real world. The hide from it in college campuses
hahaha. As a lefty who has recently run back into the bosom of education I found that one particularly funny:P

rkzenrage 11-03-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Trolling?

Since I am predominantly liberal... hardly. More like making fun of myself.
Nice flame though.

richlevy 11-04-2006 02:10 PM

Serious Answer

From here. BTW, Mr. Stone is the person who was featured at the Civil Rights in time of War symposium I attended last year. These are the last 2 of 10 items. The linked article has all 10 items.

Quote:

9. Liberals believe government must protect the safety and security of the people, for without such protection liberalism is impossible. This, of course, is less a tenet of liberalism than a reply to those who attack liberalism. The accusation that liberals are unwilling to protect the nation from internal and external dangers is false. Because liberals respect competing values, such as procedural fairness and individual dignity, they weigh more carefully particular exercises of government power (such as the use of secret evidence, hearsay and torture), but they are no less willing to use government authority in other forms (such as expanded police forces and international diplomacy) to protect the nation and its citizens.

10. Liberals believe government must protect the safety and security of the people, without unnecessarily sacrificing constitutional values. It is liberals who have demanded and continue to demand legal protections to avoid the conviction of innocent people in the criminal justice system, reasonable restraints on government surveillance of American citizens, and fair procedures to ensure that alleged enemy combatants are in fact enemy combatants. Liberals adhere to the view expressed by Brandeis some 80 years ago: "Those who won our independence ... did not exalt order at the cost of liberty."

Trilby 11-05-2006 05:34 PM

I think we can all rest easy knowing that, if we do NOT know what a lefty IS, we can at least identify what a lefty wears: Bridget Jones: "well, I don't look very lefty in this!"

Bridget goes on to say that lefties are the heart of England, they stand for single mothers and AIDS victims, while Tories are only concerned with smidgens of percents regarding deficits.

What say the Brits?

DanaC 11-05-2006 05:36 PM

Well apparently now the tories are telling us teenagers are misunderstood and just need some love, whilst Labour is busy locking up record numbers of teen offenders......

Trilby 11-05-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC
Well apparently now the tories are telling us teenagers are misunderstood and just need some love, whilst Labour is busy locking up record numbers of teen offenders......

The old US Republican trick! Don't fall for it! DON'T!

DanaC 11-05-2006 05:48 PM

*runs screaming for the hills*......" The Republicans are coming, the republicans are coming!!"

Novae 11-05-2006 06:04 PM

A lefty is someone who wants you to be tolerant, and damn you if you won't! Burn in hell, you intolerant pieces of TRASH!

P.S. Yes, that was satire, and yes, I am new. :)

DanaC 11-05-2006 06:10 PM

Hallo Novae! Nice to see ya just jumped right in there. This is no place for shrinking violets:P

Griff 11-05-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC

The Republicans seem to understand teens needing love here as well. :eek:

wolf 11-05-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novae
A lefty is someone who wants you to be tolerant, and damn you if you won't! Burn in hell, you intolerant pieces of TRASH!

P.S. Yes, that was satire, and yes, I am new. :)

The finest satire is that which contains a large economy sized grain of truth.

Welcome.

Novae 11-05-2006 10:33 PM

Hi, DanaC! :) Thanks much, I think I'm gonna like it here.

Quote:

The finest satire is that which contains a large economy sized grain of truth.
I can admit it, you're right, Wolf. :) I know my fair share of self-righteous lefties. Quite a share, in fact.

wolf 11-05-2006 10:36 PM

I didn't think there were any other kind ... especially in Seattle. Must have something to do with the rain, blackberry brambles, and slugs.

Novae 11-05-2006 10:43 PM

No, I mean, I'm a liberal, leftie, whatever. I take pride, however, in saying that I actually pay attention to both sides of it.

I mean, CNN has a show called "Broken Government", and Fox News has "Fox Faith". I don't think anyone remotely informed should deny the news biases. I try and watch both Bill O' Reilly and Bill Maher.

Seattle isn't all rain... well, it wasn't. Fall hit, so it's basically nothing but sleet now.

wolf 11-05-2006 10:48 PM

Just guessing, you're probably young(ish). In a few years you'll be looking at the definition of "moderate" and think that maybe that's more you ... and then from there it's just a little jump to the right ...

Aliantha 11-05-2006 10:50 PM

and a step to the left

Novae 11-05-2006 10:57 PM

Isn't it a jump to the left? :)

Yeah, you're right. I'm seventeen, and my psychology teacher says the same thing. He's a moderate, with right-wing leanings.

Honestly, I think I'm a moderate. I'm for gay rights (including marriage), the death penalty, and the right to abortion. I think it's better to go by issue than by label, as cliche as that sounds.

I just get angry when all these people, my age, just throw out "I HATE BUSH" or "I LOVE BUSH", when they don't know what the hell is going on. People should be informed, and openminded. Those are my criteria.

Aliantha 11-05-2006 10:58 PM

put your hands on your hips!

Novae 11-05-2006 11:10 PM

And bring your knees in tight! :)

Sounds like the Republicans. Oh ho, a zinger!

I joke :)

Undertoad 11-05-2006 11:12 PM

thinks: how awesome, that the Rocky Horror tradition made it down under!

Aliantha 11-05-2006 11:14 PM

Rocky Horror is a major part of Australian life. We're a bunch of cross dressing weirdos down here. Didn't you know?

Undertoad 11-05-2006 11:17 PM

Rock on Aussies! I'm just happy that the joy of RHPS and the Time Warp spreads. It is a kind of glorious thing.

Novae 11-05-2006 11:17 PM

It's kind of an unescapable joy :)

Aliantha 11-05-2006 11:20 PM

The first time I watched it on telly was the first time I ever saw Susan Sarandon. I've been hooked on her ever since. I loved her in Bull Durham. Anyone ever seen that?

DucksNuts 11-06-2006 03:31 AM

Ohh the stage show did it for me!!!

I lurrrrrrve the TRHS, men in fishies, heels and bustiers...what could be better?

9th Engineer 11-06-2006 07:32 AM

Our engineering board organized a production of RHPS this halloween, we had 17 cast members acting out the scenes as the movie played in the background. The girls provided their own lingerie, but the guys decided to have some fun and went to a Victoria's Secret nearby as a group to shop. I wish I had been there to see the attendent's face when the 8 guys walked in and said they all needed matching black corsets:D

Novae 11-06-2006 11:03 PM

Oh God, that's wonderful. :D

warch 11-07-2006 05:16 PM

Lefty, in general, are not ashamed of men in fishies! In fact, I believe there is a giant puppet somewhere....from that other engineering GTG thing....:)

BigV 11-08-2006 09:55 AM

lefty==a new direction

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2006 01:35 PM

:D

Shocker 11-11-2006 02:17 PM

Anyone under 30 that's a conservative doesn't have a heart. Anyone over 30 that is liberal doesn't have a brain.

Trilby 11-11-2006 03:31 PM

I'm a moderate. truly. I can't stand neocons and I can't stand bleeding hearts, either. Both are too extreme for me.

sproglet 11-11-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shocker
Anyone under 30 that's a conservative doesn't have a heart. Anyone over 30 that is liberal doesn't have a brain.

So that's another take on "It's the economy stupid" right?

The enduring power of liberalism is the ability to listen and understand both sides of an argument or actually listen to a discussion, decisive action however is sometimes elusive. Right wing politics do not lend themselves easily to reasoned decisions.

Shocker 11-11-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproglet
So that's another take on "It's the economy stupid" right?

The enduring power of liberalism is the ability to listen and understand both sides of an argument or actually listen to a discussion, decisive action however is sometimes elusive. Right wing politics do not lend themselves easily to reasoned decisions.

Actually, it's not the economy, stupid. I only put it on there since it pertains to this thread, and it is a common quote widely attributed to Winston Churchill, though that is a disputed fact.

Now as to right wing politics not lending themselves to reasoned decisions, I would point you to Regan, a great conservative President. True, events in the last decade might lend themselves to your perception of hardheaded, one sided, graft ridden, and unethical behaviors as to being solely the result of the "vast right wing conspiracy", however, while not trying to defend those actions, democrats have had their fair share of corruption and scandal. Being in power for the last 12 years, the conservatives in the republican party have lost their focus and resolve to accomplish good things for this country, and the recent losses in Congress will serve as a wake up call to the party leaders to get back to basics and work together to make this country great again.

But that's only my opinion.

Bullitt 11-11-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
I'm a moderate. truly. I can't stand neocons and I can't stand bleeding hearts, either. Both are too extreme for me.

Hi five Bri

John Adams 11-12-2006 07:01 AM

A lefty is anyone that doesn't understand that the republicans are just the pro-war wing of the democrat party and there is no such thing as a conservative party in the US.

Ibby 11-12-2006 07:37 AM

Fiscally speaking, maybe.

But socially speaking?

Bullshit.

Novae 11-12-2006 03:07 PM

You know, if the definition of a moderate in comparison to a liberal or a conservative or a progressive (or whatever the hell they are now) is one who pays attention to both sides and makes informed, nonpartisan decisions, I guess I'm a moderate. Proud of it. :)

Honestly, people should go by information and issues. There'll always be divisions, though; what I don't get are Republicans that have primarily left-wing views. Well, actually, I think I do; they can only get elected with a party behind them, so even if they're far more moderate or left than that party, they'll still try and use it.

People should just be informed, that's the main thing.

xoxoxoBruce 11-12-2006 11:09 PM

Novae, for a career in politics, they usually start at the bottom in local offices and work their way up, unless they're a known name like a war hero or in the news a lot.

Here in Delaware County, PA, the Republicans have built a powerful, well funded machine. If necessary, they can come up with as much money as needed, to swamp any challenge.
Anyone starting here would be behind the eight ball running as anything but a Republican, regardless of their personal left/center/right views.

Of course they can just convince themselves that after they get elected they'll follow their own heart, but they soon find they've mortgaged their soul.

Novae 11-13-2006 11:57 PM

True, partisan politics are definitely the powerful force.

And I LOVE that picture. :) It's actually kinda cute! Which I guess is what he'd want to appear as.

BigV 11-14-2006 05:45 PM

www.sinfest.net

dig in!

One of my hall of fame webcomics.. fo' sho'!

rkzenrage 11-14-2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Hi five Bri