The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Self Image or How you see yourself (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15123)

lumberjim 08-18-2007 12:02 AM

Self Image or How you see yourself

Do you approve of yourself? Are you one to be admired? Are you defective in some way? Would you trade places with most people you meet?

Just who the hell do you think you are?

zippyt 08-18-2007 12:14 AM

I am I MON !!!

bluecuracao 08-18-2007 12:14 AM

I've felt every single way on the poll, at one point or another...but usually #'s 1, 2, and 4.

Feeling like #3 isn't good for me, because that means I've come across someone who really freaks me out.

NoBoxes 08-18-2007 04:46 AM

stock reply

What I am is what I am.
Are you what you are - or what?
I'm not aware of too many things,
but I know what I know if you know what I mean.

skysidhe 08-18-2007 06:38 AM

The job where I am now served it's purpose but it's ran it's course. It is time for a change. I'm bored. What's next. :muse:

manephelien 08-18-2007 08:18 AM

Being me is okay.

yesman065 08-18-2007 09:32 AM

Wow NB - Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - very nice.

Cloud 08-18-2007 09:33 AM

(In Dalek voice) !DEFECTIVE! !DEFECTIVE! !DEFECTIVE!

fargon 08-18-2007 09:39 AM

I am what I am, that's all that I am, I'm Popeye the sailor man!!! Toot, TOOT.:bong:

Cloud 08-18-2007 09:58 AM

as much as I don't like myself sometimes, I'd rather be me than switch places with most people

DanaC 08-18-2007 10:23 AM

Yeah, I feel that way too Cloud.

Elspode 08-18-2007 11:26 AM

I have days when I don't want to be me...or anyone, for that matter. But overall, on the whole, I'm actually pretty fucking full of myself.

rkzenrage 08-18-2007 02:03 PM

I would rather be me than most people i meet.
I work on it every day.
One think most have issues with is, with matters of integrity, I do not feel a need to take other's emotions into consideration.
Some take issue with that.
I think it's childish.

Admired, etc, there is no way for me to get into another's head...so I would never presume to answer a question like that.
Many of my students have said very kind things to me and I have plaques and the like saying very grand things... I take them with a grain of salt. They credit me with things they did themselves. Sure, with my guidance, but only with that, that they have trouble seeing that has always confused me.
This issue in the West of feeling good about ourselves, feeling proud of our accomplishments, taking compliments that are due and accepting aptitude is really sad and I discourage it among my students.

yesman065 08-18-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376235)
This issue in the West of feeling good about ourselves, feeling proud of our accomplishments, taking compliments that are due and accepting aptitude is really sad and I discourage it among my students.

Why is that?

Rhianne 08-18-2007 03:34 PM

I look just like that girl in the mirror.

rkzenrage 08-18-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman065 (Post 376241)
Why is that?

If you are good at something you are good at it... it is a fact, no emotion need be placed upon it.
False humility is about appeasing the envious.

DanaC 08-18-2007 04:03 PM

Bugger that for a game of soldiers. If I am good at something I am going to feel proud or even smug about it.

yesman065 08-18-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376243)
If you are good at something you are good at it... it is a fact, no emotion need be placed upon it.

What is true humility about, then? What is wrong with acknowleging someone elses achievements or aptitude? Shall I not be proud of my children or my family? What is wrong with expressing that?

skysidhe 08-18-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376243)

umm :neutral:

If false humility is about appeasing the envious then true humility is about???

Also you ( people ) will have an emotion about it regardless if it's labeled in our mind or not. You have emotion stating your beliefs. All motivation to do anything is brought on by an emotion. You can tamp it down and brush it off but it's still there 'till someday your taking pride in the fact you can deny your emotions so well. Emotions are sneaky buggers like that.:)

rkzenrage 08-18-2007 08:23 PM

True humility is about not bragging and not setting yourself above others or comparing yourself to others... has nothing to do with my point.
Completely separate issue.

lumberjim 08-18-2007 11:16 PM

true humility is unconscious of it's own humility. It seeks not to be more humble than others. It is unaware.

there lies a trap in the allure of being illuminated. To strive for illumination by seeking to excel in humility and such areas creates a counterproductive effort vacuum. to be truly humble is to be thoughtless of it.

i am not at all humble. i think i am better than you. really, i do.

honestly. might just be my survival instinct working, or something. maybe the rum.

bluecuracao 08-18-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376264)
True humility is about not bragging and not setting yourself above others or comparing yourself to others... has nothing to do with my point.

From the thread topic--it isn't.

JuancoRocks 08-18-2007 11:24 PM

Mac Davis speaks....

"Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can"

Then goes on to say.....

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
but I'm doing the best that I can.

I used to have a girlfriend
but she just couldn't compete
with all of these love starved women
who keep clamoring at my feet.
Well I prob'ly could find me another
but I guess they're all in awe of me.
Who cares, I never get lonesome
cause I treasure my own company.

I guess you could say I'm a loner,
a cowboy outlaw tough and proud.
I could have lots of friends if I want to
but then I wouldn't stand out from the crowd.
Some folks say that I'm egotistical.
Hell, I don't even know what that means.
I guess it has something to do with the way that I
fill out my skin tight blue jeans.

when you're perfect in every way,
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
but I'm doing the best that I can.
We're doing the best that we can

rkzenrage 08-18-2007 11:24 PM

Again.
Quote:

has nothing to do with my point.
Geez... reading again.

bluecuracao 08-18-2007 11:27 PM

I made my own point. It's not always about your points, rk.

HungLikeJesus 08-19-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 376307)
true humility is unconscious of it's own humility. It seeks not to be more humble than others. It is unaware.

there lies a trap in the allure of being illuminated. To strive for illumination by seeking to excel in humility and such areas creates a counterproductive effort vacuum. to be truly humble is to be thoughtless of it.

i am not at all humble. i think i am better than you. really, i do.

honestly. might just be my survival instinct working, or something. maybe the rum.

That's ironic, LJ, because I still think of you as humblejim. Perhaps you are so unconcious of your humility that you have achieved perfection.

Gosh, I hope I didn't just destroy that.

DanaC 08-19-2007 06:48 PM

Shouldn't you be off somewhere consorting with the meek?

HungLikeJesus 08-19-2007 07:12 PM

Consorting as in... consorting?

DanaC 08-19-2007 07:12 PM

What do I know, I'm not the omnipotent one

HungLikeJesus 08-19-2007 07:25 PM

But are you meek?

DanaC 08-19-2007 07:28 PM

I'm not sure that's exactly the word I'd use to describe myself....

lumberjim 08-19-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 376418)
That's ironic, LJ, because I still think of you as humblejim. Perhaps you are so unconcious of your humility that you have achieved perfection.

Gosh, I hope I didn't just destroy that.

well....i don't really pay much attention to how humble i am. i probably come off as a tad arrogant most of the time, in fact. that post you quoted was begun with a serious message, but then i started to feel a bit silly as it went on, and i wound up going for the laugh....as usual.

the important part of the message was that i see the contradiction of those that portray themselves as superior based on their selflessness. we've had a joking repartee about this in the past....but it really does go on. when i was on tour, the 'super hippies' used to make me sad. they were the BEST hippies. in fact, they were the best at playing the role of a hippie, when in fact they were calculating and devious, not carefree and blissful like a true freak is.

my advice to the world: fucking be honest about yourself, and don't take yourself so seriously. you are just another brick in the wall.

yesman065 08-19-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376235)
One think most have issues with is, with matters of integrity, I do not feel a need to take other's emotions into consideration.
Some take issue with that. I think it's childish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376264)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376312)
Again.
Geez... reading again.

I'm just gonna say it - I'm lost here, I must be reading the wrong words - what is your point? The issue of the West or taking compliments, or True humility?

It's probably me, but I really don't understand.

lumberjim 08-19-2007 11:29 PM

that is only because you're not a genius.

yesman065 08-19-2007 11:36 PM

Well then explain it to me Mr. 130

lumberjim 08-19-2007 11:38 PM

i cant. im not a genius either. 136. ;)

yesman065 08-19-2007 11:38 PM

Pardon muahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

COCK

DanaC 08-20-2007 05:44 AM

That's better, there's been a distinct lack of cock in this thread.

Cock!

Spexxvet 08-20-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 376472)
...the important part of the message was that i see the contradiction of those that portray themselves as superior based on their selflessness. we've had a joking repartee about this in the past....but it really does go on. ...

I'm a hundred times more humble than you.
- Weird Al Y.

Shawnee123 08-20-2007 09:06 AM

I am never boring.

Cicero 08-20-2007 11:32 AM

I love me!!! Me Me Meeee!!!!
This weird thing is happening with my self image lately though. I think I'm skinny, but I look at a photograph of myself and I'm fat. It's weird.......a friend of mine is coming into town soon. She'll tell me the truth. Just because my perspective on myself is askew doesn't mean I don't think I'm awesome.
Do you know how brave you have to be- just to be me? You'd be amazed.

Sundae 08-20-2007 11:39 AM

I don't quite want to be me yet
But I'm working on it :)

Spexxvet 08-20-2007 11:55 AM

Good to hear from you SG. I miss you around here.

kerosene 08-27-2007 11:37 AM

Cicero, the same thing is true for me. I brush it off as a camera/mirror error. The camera makes me fat and the mirror makes me skinny. I am somewhere in between in reality. Reflections in windows are just completely wrong...probably someone else on the other side of the window.

I must be delusional.

Shawnee123 08-27-2007 11:53 AM

Some days I'm all like:

people see me
I'm a challenge
to your balance
I'm over your heads
I confound you
and astound you too
I must be one of the wonders
God's own creation
and as far as you see you can offer me
no explanation

Other days I'm like:

I suck worse then the suckiest sucking sucker on the planet.

minnmirman 08-27-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 376570)
I'm a hundred times more humble than you.
- Weird Al Y.

Haha I believe its 'more humble than thou art.'

I also believe Im a tard for knowing that off my head

Hime 08-31-2007 04:00 PM

It varies from day to day, but mostly I'm happy being me. Lately I've been feeling a little more insecure than usual because, um, there's a girl, and I suspect that I like her more than she likes me. But in general I'm pretty happy about myself and my life -- I'm smart enough to have a job that I like and attractive enough to have a great husband who enjoys being with me, and for the most part that's good enough.

lumberjim 08-31-2007 04:32 PM

that's powerful stuff

skysidhe 09-16-2007 07:01 AM

My affect is alot like Drew Barymore's. I don't think that is a compliment either. I'd rather be Kat Von D from LA Ink. Someone chocolate to my vanilla.

Anyway, She not only seems like a really nice person she is a great artist as well.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/mi.../kat_show1.jpg

rkzenrage 09-18-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 376491)
that is only because you're not a genius.

I have stated many times, including the original post, that I am not a genius and that the tests are false.
YOU cannot read, clearly.
Or are you choosing to ignore these statements so you can continue to be an ass?

rkzenrage 09-18-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Some take issue with that. I think it's childish.

Quote:

Quote:
Again.
Geez... reading again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman065 (Post 376487)
I'm just gonna say it - I'm lost here, I must be reading the wrong words - what is your point? The issue of the West or taking compliments, or True humility?

It's probably me, but I really don't understand.

Which one, you are looking at three separate posts?
The problem with the West is that we look to others for self-worth. Others do not matter in that judgment.
True humility, the same, it is not judged against the actions or talent of others but what you can do compared with what you are capable of.
One can learn from others, but I always discourage my students from comparing themselves to/with others... it is a mistake and cannot be done accurately, so it should not be attempted.
You are automatically limiting yourself. The only thing you should do in regards to others is try to do better than they. Even that should not be a goal... that is a comparison. But, "I can do that" is acceptable.
There is nothing wrong with it, people think one should not do it because it is "arrogant" or not humble... bullshit. Humility is about respect and reverence not limitations.

lumberjim 09-18-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 386487)
I have stated many times, including the original post, that I am not a genius and that the tests are false.
YOU cannot read, clearly.
Or are you choosing to ignore these statements so you can continue to be an ass?

check the dates.

and then tell me again who can't read.

skysidhe 09-18-2007 02:40 PM

voted most likely to:

trip in high heels

get my sweater caught on the door knob

I attract the elderly,kids and crazy or m/r people and hippys.

I don't attract uber- cool people.

rkzenrage 09-18-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 386493)
check the dates.

and then tell me again who can't read.

I'm not a jim subscriber. You should be flattered I read one of your shit posts at all.

lumberjim 09-18-2007 02:49 PM

hey, you're the tailposter here, bub. that was a month ago while the topic was relevant. your post asking why I KEEP saying it is misleading.

EAD

rkzenrage 09-18-2007 02:58 PM

It was the last statement you made. Mine was the correct assessment.
A tail-poster is one who posts at the end of a thread they have not read.
You don't know what you are talking about, as usual.

lumberjim 09-18-2007 03:04 PM

you cannot read

Spexxvet 09-18-2007 03:05 PM

What?

Flint 09-18-2007 03:06 PM

Maybe it's not a matter of not being able to read, it's a matter of being off-topic? It has to be one of those two.

Cicero 09-18-2007 03:10 PM

Wow....screwy. I wondered what was so easy about coming here lately.