The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Easter Egg Hunt (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16866)

Aliantha 03-19-2008 10:12 PM

Easter Egg Hunt

I was surprised to learn that my kids still want an easter egg hunt this year. Being almost 11 and almost 12 I figured they'd be over it by now, but apparently not. It'll be fun anyway because we'll be at my dad's place, so there'll be heaps of good hiding spots to put the eggs.

Do you/did you do easter egg hunts for your kids?

DucksNuts 03-19-2008 10:41 PM

This is the first year I am doing one.

Im thinking my two are too young for one with clues, so we will just do a scramble.

My friend and her family are coming for Easter breakie (thank FSM the new furniture arrived today), so we will do the hunt then do brunch.

Im panicking a bit that I dont have enough eggs.

Clodfobble 03-19-2008 10:45 PM

My husband's family has this tradition where instead of hiding the eggs, they hide clues around the house that lead to the Easter baskets, which already have the eggs/candy/stuff in them. I suspect this was because they spent many years in various places with no yard to hide the eggs in.

Aliantha 03-19-2008 10:49 PM

Wow...I usually just do a scramble type thing for the kids too, but the clue thing sounds like heaps of fun.

If dad's party is boring i might do that instead.

DucksNuts 03-19-2008 11:45 PM

Ive also heard of the clues thing, but havent done it. When the boys are older I reckon thats the way to go.

Razzmatazz13 03-19-2008 11:47 PM

My mom always did clue hunts for me, with the clue wrapped in small candies, and the end of the hunt being my basket...she was crazy good with rhyming riddles that had me all over the house, out in the yard, and everywhere, it was a lot of fun and kept me occupied for hours.

Aliantha 03-19-2008 11:49 PM

I just made some clues up. I'm just thinking about how to hide them over night. I might have to get some little jars.

Here are the clues:

Clue One.
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don’t like these apples, you should see what the oranges have to say!
(fruit basket)
Clue Two.
Very good! Now that you’ve shown you’re clever no chump, how bout looking under the GREAT BIG STUMP?
(Orange Tree)
Clue Three.
So you’re crafty and funny and think you’re so smart. Go find the clue in the mechanical cart.
(big log)
Clue Four.
If you think the tractor was terribly easy, the next clue might make you all smelly and greasy.
(Tractor)
Clue Five.
Now that you’ve shown that you are no ham, how ‘bout a walk right around the dam?
(among dads grease and oil stuff)
Clue Six.
I hope you didn’t get muddy or damp. Your next clue might take you under a ramp.
(far side of the dam)
Clue Seven.
You’re getting closer to finding the stash. Maybe the chooks would like some mash?
(ramp)
Clue Eight.
The animals like living here on the farm, but where do you go if you’re bleeding from harm?
(chook food)
Clue Nine.
If you can run not slow or too late, the next clue might take you right up to the gate.
(first Aid kit)
Clue Ten.
Last but not least, you must stand facing east and look near the pumpkins to find your sweet treat!
(back gate)

They're pretty easy clues, but I think the kids will have fun with them.

DucksNuts 03-20-2008 12:33 AM

Erm, your answers are out Ali.

Aliantha 03-20-2008 12:35 AM

yeah I know. That's the one I saved with the answers on it in case I forget. ;)

I printed the clues out two to a page in big letters. I'm going to put them in zip lock bags so they don't get wet from the morning dew.

I think I'm probably more excited about this easter egg hunt than the kids will be. lol

glatt 03-20-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 440240)
My husband's family has this tradition where instead of hiding the eggs, they hide clues around the house that lead to the Easter baskets, which already have the eggs/candy/stuff in them. I suspect this was because they spent many years in various places with no yard to hide the eggs in.

We also had our Easter baskets hidden inside when we were growing up. There was always snow on the ground outside. No fun looking for easter eggs in the snow.

We used to have an egg hunt at work. We stopped doing it when our department got too big. We had those little plastic eggs, filled with candy, and one of them had a little certificate for a paid day off. It was wildly popular.

Flint 03-20-2008 09:49 AM

My grand-dad used to put $50 bills in some of the eggs; typically these were hidden in the cactus garden or an equally treacherous location.

Cicero 03-20-2008 10:40 AM

Flint makes so much more sense now.
:)

It's time to revisit a Jim Gaffigan sketch about christmas and easter.
http://funny4myspace.com/videos/top/23/view/QjJCIbC9sxA

Clodfobble 03-20-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts
Erm, your answers are out Ali.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha
yeah I know. That's the one I saved with the answers on it in case I forget.

I think she means they don't line up right. Like this:

Quote:

Clue One. {is handed to the kids, and they read}
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you don’t like these apples, you should see what the oranges have to say!
{so they run to the} (fruit basket) {where they find}
Clue Two.
Very good! Now that you’ve shown you’re clever no chump, how bout looking under the GREAT BIG STUMP?
{so they run to the}(Orange Tree) {where they find}
Clue Three.
So you’re crafty and funny and think you’re so smart. Go find the clue in the mechanical cart.
{so they run to the... ?}(big log) {okay, maybe... where they find}
Clue Four.
If you think the tractor was terribly easy, the next clue might make you all smelly and greasy.
{so they run to the...}(Tractor) {no wait, that can't be right.}
Clue Five.
{etc... everything else seems to be off by one.}

Cicero 03-20-2008 11:22 AM

I might do raku style eggs this year. That sounds fun. I found out that if you don't water down the coloring and it has an alcohol content, and if the egg is hot enough when you dye it, it turns a metallic color as if it has been fired in a kiln. Neat-o.

Someone tell case. If you see her.

Aliantha 03-20-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 440340)
I think she means they don't line up right. Like this:

No, I meant to put the answers to where each clue should go under the clue to find the next clue. That's to remind me, but also so I don't have to do it in order (just in case the kids are watching somehow) and also, my sis in law might give me a hand too.

Aliantha 03-20-2008 06:36 PM

We don't have those plastic easter egg things that you have in the US, so if it's raining on Sunday I'll have to at least change the last clue so the eggs can be hidden somewhere under cover.

lumberjim 03-21-2008 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
we're ready. the foil topping was a big hit.....

TheMercenary 03-22-2008 09:10 AM

http://www.absolutezerocomics.com/im...ril-9-2007.jpg

Cloud 03-22-2008 06:33 PM

mom used to hide easter egg candies ALL over the house and yard! I didn't do that so much (trying to get away from so much candy); and I have a thing about baskets. Fucking baskets always get in the way. So I usually did pseudo baskets; i.e., useful containers.

Mostly it's about gifts--things like clothes and shoes, and little eastery things. And some candy.

I'm bringing Bunny Juice (spiced carrot juice) and Green Eggs and Ham (deviled eggs) to the party. Except I forgot the green food coloring in the shopping cart, bummer!

Cicero 03-22-2008 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Raku egg...first try this year! I had to eat it already:
Better example later.
:D Attachment 17289

lumberjim 03-22-2008 07:46 PM

what is Raku about it? technique, or end result?

Razzmatazz13 03-23-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 440908)
Fucking baskets always get in the way. So I usually did pseudo baskets; i.e., useful containers.

I just had a lady come through my line at work the other day with like 20 little white buckets. She said she has a pre-school class and they were going to glue bunny faces on the side of them...so the easter "baskets" were cheap ($1 each) and would be hand-made by the students....and if you really wanted to, you could probably peel the bunny face off and just have a handy little bucket once easter was over. I thought it was neat.

TheMercenary 03-23-2008 08:34 AM

We always had a basket hunt in our house each easter. We always did that. My wife would write these elaborate riddles and the kids would all have to collaborate to figure out where the next note was hidden until the final note would lead them to the baskets. There would usually be about 5 or 6 notes. The riddles led them all over the house and the yard. I hated making the notes and all the crap she would give them but I know they will have fond memories of it. Of course I would never make the notes either, I made her do it.

Cloud 03-23-2008 10:15 AM

the thing is, you can't throw away easter baskets, 'cause, you know, there a gift (from a supernatural power, no less); but they have an odd shape and height, don't store or stack well, and so (at least in my less-than-organized household) tend to get left out, stepped on, etc. Bah! Just a nuisance.

Cicero 03-23-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 440917)
what is Raku about it? technique, or end result?

Kind of technique but mostly result. If you use the straight dye on a really hot brown egg and the dye has an alcohol content as with McCormicks, it fires as in a kiln creating a metallic unpredetermined finish as with Raku pottery. Hence a raku egg.

I hate the camera I have. Should have gotten the one with a better lens. In the photo the purple spot you see at the bottom is a metallic purple. Other lines on the egg had a metallic finish as well. The metallic finishes look just like the effect you get in raku pottery and just as sporadic and unplannable if that is a word!

Well...try it. It's fun. Make sure you use a really hot egg and the straight dye not watered down. The dye I have has a glycol component. I pour it right from the dropper on a hot egg right out of the pot. It looks fairly normal when you pour it at first. But as it dries you begin to see the metallic finishes in different areas. I noticed with that first egg that the more dye was there the more raku-y it got. I'm not sure if you have to use a brown egg or not. The first time I noticed this "mistake" it was with a brown egg, and I have been replicating it that way ever since.

Adult egg fun. :D Not for kids. It is too messy with straight dye and the egg is way too hot.

You end up with an egg that has diefferent colors and spots that look like the metallic colors in this photo.
http://www.ayamoconcepts.com/raku_ph...lery/index.htm

I better go do more eggs and hope for a better photo. (edible art is sad but oh so tasty) Mmmm. raku egg.

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2008 01:59 PM

T’was the day before Easter…

T’was the day before Easter and all through the woods,
The bunnies were busy packing their goods.
The eggs were all colored so pretty and bright,
All things were “go” for the big, special night.

The baskets were waiting, all decorated with care,
In hopes that the Bunny soon would be there.
My little brother Sam was asleep in his bed,
While visions of Easter eggs rolled round his head.

And I in my pajamas with the cat on my lap,
I had just settled down for a quick little nap.
When outside the window I heard a great noise,
I sprang from my chair and jumped over some toys.

As quick as a flash to the window I flew,
I pulled up the shade and , OH, what a view.
The moon on the meadow cast a bright golden glow
And the wind blew the flowers to and then fro.

Then all of a sudden from out of nowhere,
Came some lively bunnies, hopping here, hopping there!
Leading the group with ears long and funny
Was a plump all-white rabbit…
That’s right…the EASTER BUNNY!

The bunnies hopped past, one, two , three, four,
The rabbit called out and then there were more.
“Come Peter! Come, Flopsy! Come, Benny! Come, Joe!
Now hop along! Hop along! Hop along! GO!”

So up on each doorstep the bunnies did hop,
With baskets of eggs. (Let’s hope they don’t drop)!
Just at that moment, on the porch down below,
Came the stomping of feet ‘Twas the rabbit I know!

As I stepped from my window I heard a loud sound.
Through the door came the rabbit with a leap and a bound.
He was furry and soft from his head to his feet.
To see him so close was really quite neat.

He was surrounded by eggs that had been carefully dyed.
Easter eggs galore he soon would hide.
His eyes were all twinkles, His nose was so pink,
And I can’t be too sure but I think he did wink.

He had a kind face and a big fluffy tail
That bobbed up and down like a boat with a sail.
A twitch of his nose and a flick of his ear
Was his way of saying “You’ve nothing to fear”

He uttered no sound as he hopped all about,
Hiding the eggs and leaving no doubt,
That the Easter Bunny had come like he does every year…
Bringing baskets of happiness to children so dear

Cicero 03-23-2008 02:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Alright. Once again I am at odds with my camera...but here are more Raku style eggs. Hopefully from the photos you'll get the idea, but I wouldn't place any bets on it. I liked my husbands the best because you can see the multichromatic results better becaue of the brown portion of the egg contrast. They are not pretty, but still fun to make...oooh shiny egg...ooh ahhh...
I had eggciting results. I am eggstatic!:headshake
I hope this doesn't make me an egg alchemist.
Attachment 17318

Attachment 17319

Attachment 17320

Cicero 03-23-2008 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17321

Attachment 17322

Clodfobble 03-23-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud
the thing is, you can't throw away easter baskets, 'cause, you know, there a gift (from a supernatural power, no less); but they have an odd shape and height, don't store or stack well, and so (at least in my less-than-organized household) tend to get left out, stepped on, etc. Bah! Just a nuisance.

Do you not re-use the same baskets every year?

Cicero 03-23-2008 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one::D Thank you for your patience have a nice Easter!;)
Attachment 17323

skysidhe 03-23-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 440344)
I might do raku style eggs this year. That sounds fun. I found out that if you don't water down the coloring and it has an alcohol content, and if the egg is hot enough when you dye it, it turns a metallic color as if it has been fired in a kiln. Neat-o.

Someone tell case. If you see her.

raku style eggs! egg..celent!

( my sister is a potter)

Cloud 03-23-2008 03:21 PM

the colored eggs y'all posted are terrific!

no, reusing the baskets would be cheating

I got to hang out with granddaughter cuties and teach them how to jump rope. Not that I did all that much actual jumping, you understand, but still . . . :)

Cicero 03-23-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 441086)
raku style eggs! egg..celent!

( my sister is a potter)

The photos are posted right behind you. Show her those.:D I need a pro to tell me if they do in fact, look like raku but eggs.
:D

Clodfobble 03-23-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud
no, reusing the baskets would be cheating

So... to avoid both cheating and a cluttered house, you substitute non-basket containers instead? You still end up with a tidier house; sounds like cheating to me. ;) Do you get new Christmas stockings for everyone every year too?

Aliantha 03-23-2008 04:37 PM

The kids had a great time with their egg hunt yesterday. They were surprised when they realized it was out in the yard rather than in the house, but that just made it more fun in the end. A couple of the clues tricked them up a bit, but they all worked together and cracked it finally.

I think I'll do clues again next year. It was well worth the effort watching them giggling and running around having fun.

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2008 07:43 PM

@ Cicero, those eggs are too nice to eat. I wonder if blown egg shells could be gotten hot enough to use that process?

skysidhe 03-23-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 441093)
The photos are posted right behind you. Show her those.:D I need a pro to tell me if they do in fact, look like raku but eggs.
:D

well first of all I thought you were making 'real clay eggs' :P

Without bothering her. I say YES! :thumb:

but I am no artist of any kind but I think they are beautiful. LJs childrens eggs are too btw.

Cloud 03-23-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 441099)
So... to avoid both cheating and a cluttered house, you substitute non-basket containers instead? You still end up with a tidier house; sounds like cheating to me. ;) Do you get new Christmas stockings for everyone every year too?

cheat, cheat, cheat!

I mean, cheep, cheep, cheep!

Christmas stockings are easily foldable and storable, though.

Thank goodness I am no longer Santa OR the Easter Bunny!

ETA: BTW, the green eggs and ham and Bunny Juice were a HIT!

zippyt 03-23-2008 09:23 PM

Verry cool looking Cic!!!!

Cicero 03-23-2008 09:39 PM

Heh. Thanks zip. I'm just glad I haven't pissed anyone off for all the photos in this thread..but still...I didn't think anyone else out there had discovered the raku egg, adult fun so...gotta share.
I don't have kids and I'm not christian..so..well...I have to do something on Easter...

xoxoxo is right. I bet if I hollowed out some of those eggs and apllied the same process with a torch or saudering iron..the same thing would happen. I'm into it. Let's try it.

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2008 12:27 AM

From
Quote:

Golden Chocolate Easter Eggs
makes 1 dozen

12 large eggs
Chocolate filling (recipe follows)
1 1/2 tsp gold powder *
1 tsp tequila, plus drops as needed

Instructions:
Wash each egg in warm water and dry thoroughly. Insert a sterilized needle into the small end of the egg to make a small hole. Do the same with the large end using a skewer to make a 1/4-inch hole. Insert the needle into the large end and break the yolk. Remove the contents of the egg by blowing into the small hole through a straw. You can also blow air through by using a baster.

Place the shells in a large stock pot and slowly fill it with warm water until the egg shells are covered. Gently bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to gently simmer for 10 minutes.

Carefully pour out the hot water and gently rinse the shells with hot water. Remove the shells from the water and place upside down on a towel. Allow to dry for 30 minutes.

Pour the melted chocolate filling into a pastry piping bag fitted with a small round tip and fill the prepared egg shell through the large hole.

Return the filled eggs to the egg carton.

Place the gold powder in a medium stainless steel bowl and add the tequila. Stir until completely blended. You can adjust the thickness of the mixture by adding tequila a drop at a time until you obtain the desired thickness - the mixture should be thin enough to easily spread. Use an artist brush to paint the egg shells gold.

If you have an extra egg carton, cut off the high edge of the cradle and place the painted eggs back in this carton.

Put the carton of painted eggs into a freezer for 7 - 10 minutes to firm the chocolate and set the paint.

Remove carton from freezer and place the golden eggs into a decorated egg carton.

Chocolate Filling
Makes enough filling for 12 large eggs

18 ounces (approximately 2 1/4 cups) semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Instructions:
Melt the chocolate using a double boiler over a water bath or in a microwave according to directions on the package.

Variations:
Add ¼ cup of one the following to the melted chocolate:
Praline crunch**
English toffee, finely chopped
Finely chopped toasted almonds and shredded coconut
Finely chopped toasted macadamia nuts – you can also substitute white or milk chocolate for the semi-sweet above

You can choose to decorate your eggs with different colors by using food coloring or colored edible powders.

*Colored powders can be found in the cake decorating isle at craft stores nationwide.
**Praline crunch may be found in the freezer section of your grocery store by the ice cream.

Cicero 03-24-2008 12:36 AM

Whatever.

Cloud 03-24-2008 08:57 AM

wow!

skysidhe 03-24-2008 10:50 AM

YUM bruce!

lumberjim 03-24-2008 11:37 AM

good looking eggs, cic.

cool idea, thar, bruce.

i was trying to talk monster into putting actual peeled hard boiled eggs inside the plastic eggs for her easter egg hunt as a gag, but she woulndt do it.

monster 03-24-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 441219)
good looking eggs, cic.

cool idea, thar, bruce.

i was trying to talk monster into putting actual peeled hard boiled eggs inside the plastic eggs for her easter egg hunt as a gag, but she woulndt do it.

the dried macaroni went down a treat. But thor's fave was the wine corks! :lol: (over and above the candy and the dice -which he adores)