The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dogs (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13959)

TheMercenary 04-22-2007 07:34 PM

Dogs

This is just about dogs or if you grew up with one.

Do you own a dog?

And or, did you grow up with a dog?

How many?

What kind(s)?

And the big one, does owning a dog change people or affect their behavior? Has man owning dogs changed the way people have lived?

piercehawkeye45 04-22-2007 07:52 PM

Never had one, my mom was very scared of them.

If I get one it will probably be a roommates or wife's decision.

Cloud 04-23-2007 01:05 PM

I've never had a dog, and consider myself a cat person. As a kid (and, okay, as an adult) they scare me--sometimes. As I've grown older, I've really come to appreciate dogs. I think it would be really interesting to own one someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 336590)
does owning a dog change people or affect their behavior? Has man owning dogs changed the way people have lived?

Oh yes. And yes. Mankind is infinitely richer for its partnership with dogs.

Pie 04-23-2007 01:13 PM

Had a golden retriever when I was growing up. My parents now have an Aussie. I would have a dog myself, if there was someone at home to look after it.
Dogs are like people, YMMV. Some are infinitely enriching to their owners, others are merely pleasant to have around... still others are a problem, or a menace. Usually, you get out what you put into the relationship.

Shawnee123 04-23-2007 01:18 PM

I love dogs. Grew up with a couple black labs, and one darling little white fluffy sweetie we had named White Shadow who was hit and killed. My brother recently lost his Golden, and he was more our family dog than any dog ever, so still grieving him.

I have never had my own dog in adult life: never enough room, or time to spend to be fair to the dog, but I've always wanted one. I'm partial to big dogs, for the most part. My dream is an Irish Wolfhound, or a German Shepherd, or a Goldie...something smart and sweet.

I love animals like crazy, and have had 4 cats of my own. The oldest has long since passed, but the other 3 are living with my ex where they have room to run and hide.

Now, I just have plants. I've been thinking of a fish tank, and maybe eventually a chinchilla (after seeing duck duck's chinchilla.)

Best dream? Living in a log home in the woods with tons of land and having a couple dogs, cats, fish, african grey parrot, and a pet cow.

TheMercenary 04-23-2007 01:55 PM

I grew up with a Shetland Sheep Dog.

Everyone in my family, adult brothers and a sister, own dogs.

Since I have been gone from the college scene I have owned 4different dogs in this order:

A full Collie (mine) and a Dachshund (wifes) when we met.

A Basenji, for a short time, he was crazy.

An Akita, after we lost the Collie and Weiner Dog.

And now we own 3 full sized Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and are raising a rescue mutt for my oldest child.

duck_duck 04-23-2007 01:56 PM

Are there barkless dogs?

Cloud 04-23-2007 02:02 PM

I don't like little yappy dogs much at all. My daughter has a red doberman that's really sweet. and neurotic.

I think a lot of people get dogs and don't train them properly and don't spend enough time with them. Then they get stuck in the backyard barking at passersby for enjoyment.

And there are too many of those pit-bull type dogs around, 'cause people get them for stupid reasons.

Shawnee123 04-23-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 336785)
Are there barkless dogs?

Yes, there are. Basenjis, who actually yodel and climb trees. Ancient Egyptian descent.

And any smart dog can be trained not to bark its fool head off at every whim. A couple warning barks is good. A non-stop yap is fodder for drop-kicking.

duck_duck 04-23-2007 02:13 PM

If I were to ever get a dog it would have to be one of those. :)

barefoot serpent 04-23-2007 03:08 PM

I've had a few dogs -- all mutts from the Humane Society or other adoptions. All lived >15 yrs. and all even-tempered. So I'm a great believer in 'hybrid vigor' or Heterosis. I will probably never own a 'name brand' dog.

Dagney 04-23-2007 04:18 PM

I've had dogs around for most of my life. We're a 'small breed' family. Schnauzers, Yorkies, and Cocker/ShiTzu mixes in my side of the family - Dachshunds, Dachshunds, and More Dachshunds on my husband's. (3 of them currently in various blankie piles in our house.) We also have a border collie mutley dog. Any future doggies will either be Schnauzers or Dachshunds - more than likely adopted from local rescues.

bluecuracao 04-23-2007 10:33 PM

I grew up with three dogs--two German Shepherd mixes and one Alaskan Malamute. Our first dog was pretty nutty, having survived parvo virus, and eventually ran off happily into the bosque (this was in New Mexico). A neighbor last reported seeing her bounding after jack rabbits. :)

Our other GS mix was with us for almost 15 years--I still have dreams about her, and still miss her so much. The Malamute actually belonged to some family friends who traveled a lot, so she spent long stretches of time with us. She eventually developed cancer, and we had to have her put down. That was a horrible night.

So, I'd always considered myself an unreformable dog person, until my fiance brought Bosco the Snarky Tabby Cat home. We didn't get along at first (he made me cry in frustration a few times), but now I love him utterly and completely.

zippyt 04-23-2007 10:47 PM

Growing up we had various dogs , wire haired terrier , Rosie the wounder Mutt , yellow and black lab , egggggselant dogs all , (well the black lab was a total dooofus , but he tried !! )
Now we have Boston terrier named Oliver , he is sleeping on my feet as I type this , one of the BEST dogs ever !!!!
Utterly useless but cute , bold , and funny !!

bluecuracao 04-23-2007 10:56 PM

Dog (or cat) sleeping on feet = strongest shackles ever!

zippyt 04-23-2007 11:00 PM

Oh and he WILL make room to sit next ANY body in a lazy boy .

Hoof Hearted 04-23-2007 11:44 PM

Growing up, my parents bred/raised/showed Rough Coated Collies (think Lassie) in the American Kennel Club. When we moved out of town to the acreage, we had the Collies until they passed, then we were adopted by two Boxers at different times. Unbelieveable how both of the Boxers were unrepentant garbage strewers! We also had a Great Dane for several years with the last Boxer.

My final dog was a Shepard/wolf hybrid. I had Fang for 12 years until old age complications took her. She was a fabulous companion, though a wolf-hybrid is definitely NOT for everybody, they require a lot of attention and training. She loved going with me when I trail-rode the horse.

bluecuracao 04-24-2007 12:36 AM

One of our family friends had a wolf, and another had a wolf mix. They're amazing--they have such a powerful presence.

jinx 04-24-2007 11:04 AM

I gew up with a shepard/husky mix, Killer, who was a racist, was terrified of loud noises, and was very skilled at acting vicious and out of control. We also had an endless stream of guard and hunting dogs at the farm, my favorites were a border collie that liked to chase down deer, and a huge walker coonhound that liked to chase down people.

Clodfobble 04-24-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
who was a racist,

We had a dog like that! Anatolian shepherd, she would go fucking nuts around Hispanic men, especially if they were wearing a blue workshirt. (We had a neighbor at the time by that description, and we're pretty sure he did something to her while she was in the backyard, threw rocks or something, who knows...)

rkzenrage 04-24-2007 03:43 PM

Been around, grew-up with, more dogs than I can name. Mostly larger dogs, but I like small dogs as long as they are not wussy little ankle biters.
I currently own two rescued dogs, a Giant Schnauzer and a (larger Euro) Bassett... they are the big ones that are four to five feet long. Not the smaller, more white, short nosed American/UK versions that were crossed with Beagles more recently.
A few years ago we lost Neil (my first personal dog/son to lymphoma) I cannot see ever getting over it.

Lula
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/100_0866.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/100_0867.jpg

Bhodi.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...100_0864sm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/100_0859.jpg

Neil.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cture_0588.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...erBasset-1.jpg

Shawnee123 04-24-2007 03:54 PM

I love the pic of Lulu looking at the camera. Really cute!

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2007 04:04 PM

Dogs are wonderful people.

TheMercenary 04-24-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 337078)
We had a dog like that! Anatolian shepherd, she would go fucking nuts around Hispanic men, especially if they were wearing a blue workshirt. (We had a neighbor at the time by that description, and we're pretty sure he did something to her while she was in the backyard, threw rocks or something, who knows...)

We seriously considered an Anatolian Shepard before we got the Rhodesians (after the loss of our Akita). They are more of a one dog family I think and we knew we wanted more than one dog after losing the Akita.

Btw, the Akita is a great dog for a single woman, that is why all Akita owners know that OJ did it...

AgentApathy 04-24-2007 07:08 PM

I wasn't raised with dogs and never thought I'd want one, but my ex was insistent, so we got a male boxer puppy in 1997. Two years later, I wanted company for my male, so I agreed to foster a female boxer for a local rescue. She was nearly immediately diagnosed with terminal cancer. I agreed to keep her until the end, as the vet had given her 3-6 months to live, since her cancer was not one that responds to chemo or radiation and was inoperable. We tried a homeopathic treatment, and 7 1/2 years later, she's still with me, healthy, and getting to be a very senior lady. I lost my male to lymphoma nearly 2 years ago, and I still miss him to the point of still crying sometimes. Both the male and the female are/were wonderful dogs: quick to learn, eager to please, good with my cat and kids, and totally nondestructive. I have another foster now who is also all of those things. I am sold on boxers, as I love their obedient nature and through and through sweetness.

I know that dogs have contributed great things to mankind. The love I feel in my house is all I need to know to know that that is true.

DucksNuts 04-25-2007 01:20 AM

Always had cats and dogs as a little girl.

My first long term dog was a mutt dumped at my then bf's work - "Leah". She was a kelpie crossed with something little. Such a loyal little dog!! Died age 5 defending my Mum against a a brown snake (really venomous over here).

I got "Marty" the Rotti as an 8 week old puppy and made the awfully heart breaking decision to have him put down after he shattered his back leg. I cried for weeks, had days off work and will bawl my eyes out on April 29th, which will be the 7 year anniversary of when I had him put him. He was nearly 10.

I went through the period of mourning where I didnt!! want another dog, nothing could replace Marty in my heart and I didnt want to go through that pain.

About 3 mths later, I recognised the emptiness that had always been filled with a dog and decided it was time to get another.

Everybody thought I would get another Rott, but I couldnt, because I felt the dog would always be compared to Marty.

Now there's "Clyde" the Bull Mastiff x Great Dane and "T" the Irish Wolfhound x Great Dane.

Both dogs have the nicest nature and are gentle giants. Clyde has never destroyed anything in his life (except hunting wise), T is a destructive tart and can get snappy with the kids. She's good though, when they annoy her, she just jumps the fence and hops in the back of the Ute where they cant get at her.