The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7798)

404Error 02-21-2005 05:38 AM

Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

From today's
NY Times. Truely sad.

Quote:

Hunter S. Thompson, the maverick journalist and author whose savage chronicling of the underbelly of American life and politics embodied a new kind of nonfiction writing he called "gonzo journalism," died yesterday in Colorado. Tricia Louthis, of the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office, said Mr. Thompson had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home in Woody Creek, Colo., yesterday afternoon. He was 65.

Troubleshooter 02-21-2005 08:14 AM

Does anyone know why he did it?

Trilby 02-21-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Does anyone know why he did it?

Maybe he was in unbelievable pain. Psychic or physical or both. A lot of suicides are really angry, too. It's the best way to say "screw you" to someone. Not the smartest way, but certainly the most effective. :(

Troubleshooter 02-21-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
It's the best way to say "screw you" to someone.

Right...

This time next week he'll be forgotten the same as just about everybody else.

jaguar 02-21-2005 12:23 PM

doubt it.

richlevy 02-21-2005 01:26 PM

Well, he certainly wasn't happy about the way the country was going.

I can't blame him for that, but killing yourself is a little extreme.

Troubleshooter 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

That's what I'm saying.

I fully respect a person's right to snuff themselves, but did he have a reason?

jaguar 02-21-2005 01:42 PM

The man woke up, snorted coke and smoked a joint. He was famous for violent mood swings. Like a lot of brilliant people he danced all over the edge, particularly considering the impressive substance abuse it was a matter of time. If I was half as capable as Thompson of nailing shit perfectly so often and with such flair and so unable to do something major about it I'd have blown my brains out by now too.

Trilby 02-21-2005 02:04 PM

Was he bipolar? His talent has Kinda that ol' bipolar ring to it. Anyone know?

xoxoxoBruce 02-21-2005 05:30 PM

With all the rich, powerful enemies he had I wouldn't be surprised if he was murdered. :eyebrow:

Schrodinger's Cat 02-22-2005 12:04 AM

I think it was a delayed grief response to the death of one of his peacocks last summer. Apparently, a fox or something got it. My sister was up in Aspen for the summer and had rented a condo in the vicinity of Mr. Thompson's residence. She jogs every morning and one day she came across the remains of one of Mr. Thompson's birds on the jogging trail that passes near the edge of the former Mr. Thompson's digs. She told her son (my nephew) about it, and the kid went down there and grabbed the dead bird and plucked every feather he could that was still in reasonable shape. No doubt my nephew will soon be offering these priceless momentos for sale on e-bay!

DanaC 02-22-2005 10:29 AM

Terribly sad. A great loss

chainsaw 02-22-2005 10:47 AM

"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip."

jaguar 02-22-2005 10:54 AM

seems more fitting
Quote:

that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting---on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark---the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Troubleshooter 02-22-2005 11:18 AM

Anybody come up with an excuse for him yet?

chainsaw 02-22-2005 12:10 PM

MSN article

Troubleshooter 02-22-2005 12:21 PM

Well that didn't say anything.

Barring any evidence to the contrary it seems the paragon of paranoid gonzo reporting went out with a wimper instead of a bang.

wolf 02-23-2005 01:25 AM

I doubt that he thought to use a silencer ...

wolf 02-23-2005 01:36 AM

Just thought of a really important question ...

Is G.B. Trudeau going to kill off Uncle Duke?

Troubleshooter 02-23-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I doubt that he thought to use a silencer ...

Like I said over on the Reason comment blog, running down the halls of congress with a mini-nuke on his back would have been going out with a bang. Swallowing a chunk of lead is just weak.

wolf 02-23-2005 01:57 PM

found this on doonesbury.com
Quote:

"A lot of people want to grow up to be firemen and President. But nobody wants to grow up to be a cartoon character."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

chainsaw 02-25-2005 11:56 AM

Thompson's ashes to be shot out of a cannon! :thumbsup:

Troubleshooter 02-25-2005 12:03 PM

Sounds like they are trying to Spin this a little to me.

Especially when...

"Family members had no hint that Thompson planned to take his own life, Brinkley said, and he did not leave a note. "There was no farewell salutation,' he said."

lookout123 02-25-2005 01:54 PM

Here is an interesting article quoting his wife heavily about his last hours.

Trilby 02-25-2005 02:13 PM

That article sounds...weird. It makes her sound weird.

lookout123 02-25-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

It makes her sound weird.
that reminds me of a guy's response when his SO asks if "these jeans make my a*s look fat?" without missing a beat he responds, "no, the fat on your a*s makes you look fat"

all i'm saying is that maybe she really is a little nutty. or selfmedicated. or both.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2005 12:21 AM

Quote:

It makes her sound weird.

Uh...well...she was married to Hunter S. Thompson. I 'spect she is. ;)

richlevy 02-26-2005 09:57 AM

Quote:

Anita Thompson also echoes the comments that have been made by Hunter Thompson's son and daughter-in-law: That her husband's suicide did not come from the bottom of the well, but was a gesture of strength and ultimate control made as his life was at a high-water mark.
So what they're saying is that HT's life was like the final season of M.A.S.H?

I don't have much to say about that other than having watched my wife take care of her father in his final two years in Parkinsons, I can possibly understand the motivation for someone with that disease or something like terminal bone cancer to spare themselves the final months or weeks. I heard John Wayne thought about it However, by all accounts the man was in good health.

Saying to oneself "this is as good as my life is ever going to get, so it's all downhill from here" sounds like really bad reason for suicide.

I think Dennis Leary said it best -

Quote:

Do not mention FIRE IN THE BELLY. Do not clutch your copy of IRON JOHN. Sit your soft little ass down and listen up. Understanding macho means that you don't possess it. I have proven myself to be the pussy that I am by writing this piece. (I'm wearing a powder blue cotton print shirt and peach panties as I type) [sic] Ernest Hemingway, you say? Wrong. Ernest lived a very macho life and wrote some very macho stories. But Ernest threw it all away by blowing his head off with a shotgun. Very unmacho. Real men do not commit suicide. Real men know just how much life sucks. Real men grit their teeth and take it bill after bill, war after war, tumor after tumor. You don't greet Death, you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away. I think John Wayne said it best when he said, "Fuck Death and the lung cancer he rode in on."
BTW, I heard that John Wayne did contemplate suicide while he had cancer but either changed his mind or was prevented from doing so (I don't think a nurse has to be a genius to not let the terminal cancer patient have a gun).

One of the really nice rules of nature is that in most cases, really awful stuff is stuff that kills you. Almost everything else you can get over.

This whole 'killing oneself because this is as good as life gets' implies some kind of psychic ability to absolutely know what will be coming next. That's bullshit. Rodney Dangerfield was a paint salesman until he was 42 and didn't star in his first film until he was almost 60. Should he have picked up a gun and shot himself after his divorce at 41?

I appreciated everything that HT stood for, but if his suicide is his last piece of 'gonzo' performance art, then I'm not buying it.

Undertoad 02-26-2005 10:01 AM

Possibly your best post ever Rich. Thanks for saying it.

Trilby 02-26-2005 10:39 AM

I agree, UT. Great post, rich. Equating a suicide as a gesture of strength and control? Somebody's living in DelusionLand. If he was surrounded by people like his wife maybe it DID seem like a good idea. Who knows what all they romanticized? Who was that author/actor that threw himself off the ferry in NYC a few years ago?

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2005 02:28 PM

Bullshit...your telling me I can't leave if I don't like the movie? I don't think so...mind your own damn business. :p

richlevy 02-26-2005 03:46 PM

IMO, one of the reasons that religions had to make suicide a sin was because they pushed the concept of heaven so hard. They told a large group of people who in many case had really hard, crappy lives that if they did what they were told that they would live in paradise when they died. Well, if you're living in Europe in the dark ages and really believe this, then of course the ones who believed this would ask themselves "what am I waiting for". This means that the organized religion would lose it's most gullible....er....devout followers without any benefit to the organization. It's one thing to have someone martyr themselves or die as a soldier or suicide bomber for the organization, but plain suicide does not offer any benefits back to the group while causing attrition among the most ardent supporters. Hence, martyrdom is applauded and suicide becomes a sin.

Too cynical?

Trilby 02-26-2005 04:46 PM

Not too cynical, rich, but you don't have to be a peasant in the Dark Ages to want to kill yourself--today's world suffices just fine. I understand what you are saying and all but I am thinking less globally and more locally. The people close to a suicide are left with immeasurable guilt and grief. If children are involved, even more so. Suicides have a nasty habit of inspiring MORE suicides. Kids imitate parents, etc. Nasty business. You can leave the movie IF no one loves/knows/depends on you. So, Bruce, that leaves you out.

richlevy 02-26-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Bullshit...your telling me I can't leave if I don't like the movie? I don't think so...mind your own damn business. :p

Ok, but I get all of your doodads.

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

The people close to a suicide are left with immeasurable guilt and grief.

No logical reason for me to feel guilty about someone offing themselves.
Grief, certainly. If they'd gotten run over by a bus I suppose then you have the bus to focus your anger at and I believe anger is one part of greiving. It's hard to direct your anger at the deceased so I guess that leaves yourself, in a suicide. But if you use your head for something besides a hatrack you'll so realize that's not rational.....unless you're an MBA. ;)

wolf 02-27-2005 06:06 PM

When you've been actively working to save the person, yes, there is a lot of guilt for the survivors.

Schrodinger's Cat 02-27-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
No logical reason for me to feel guilty about someone offing themselves.

Probably not, in most cases. However, the emotions which arise out of the death of a loved one or even just an acquaintance, by definition, have no basis in logic. The distance from the head to the heart and all that.

As far as suicide in the dark ages, I imagine that the conditions people lived under resolved the question for them more often than not.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
When you've been actively working to save the person, yes, there is a lot of guilt for the survivors.

Shouldn't be. Maybe if you hadn't tried but certainly not when "you've been actively working to save the person". :headshake

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat
Probably not, in most cases. However, the emotions which arise out of the death of a loved one or even just an acquaintance, by definition, have no basis in logic. The distance from the head to the heart and all that.

Don't confuse guilt and grief, it's an easy mistake to make. No, they are two different animals. ;)

Quote:

As far as suicide in the dark ages, I imagine that the conditions people lived under resolved the question for them more often than not.
And with sudden death, unexplained by anything more that "something evil" being commonplace, probably many suicides were undetected.
Body fished out of the river....accident?.....murder?....suicide?

Troubleshooter 03-01-2005 10:46 AM

I was just sent an article that says, and may have been in one of the articles here already, that he killed himself while he was on the phone with his wife and the kids were in the other room. Any takers?

When he gets back on I'll add the link to the article.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2005 10:56 AM

It's here. :)

tw 03-02-2005 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I never fully understood Gonzo journalism after reading so many of his books. And yet The Economist (rather interesting that it took his death to better appreciate his life) provided a rather good summary of who Hunter Thompson was.
Quote:

from The Economist
In 1964 he had made a long journey to Ketchum, Idaho, to the grave of Ernest Hemingway, one of his models and heroes. He wanted to understand why Hemingway had killed himself in his cabin in the woods, and concluded that he had lost his sense of control in a changing world:

It is not just a writer's crisis, but they are the most obvious victims because the function of art is supposedly to bring order out of chaos, a tall order even when the chaos is static, and a superhuman task when chaos is multiplying...So finally, and for what he must have thought the best of reasons, he ended it with a shotgun.

Trilby 03-02-2005 07:37 PM

the above: What A Bunch O' Crap.

Lost my control in an ever-changing world---christ. What a load.

wolf 03-03-2005 01:24 AM

Toldya he looks just like plthijinx

Oaktree67 03-29-2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Well that didn't say anything.

Barring any evidence to the contrary it seems the paragon of paranoid gonzo reporting went out with a wimper instead of a bang.

I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed;the second I found out he took his own life,any respect I might have had for him went right out the window.

jaguar 03-29-2005 11:20 AM

Good to see the economist gets it, you can see it in his writing over the years. If anything, I respect him more for having the balls to pull the trigger, least he ended things on his own terms.

Troubleshooter 03-29-2005 01:28 PM

No he didn't.

He ended up just being weak.

On his own terms would have been pissing off enough people that a lynch mob showed up at his door and having an audience for his parting shot.

jaguar 03-29-2005 02:29 PM

I doubt he could have said things more bluntly than he did. He attracted controversy but I don't think he actively courted it, he was just himself.

Troubleshooter 03-29-2005 02:36 PM

Barring a convincing video auto-epitaph I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

jaguar 03-29-2005 02:42 PM

*shrugs* I don't claim to be exactly unbiased, Hunter is something little short of a role model where I'm concerned.

Troubleshooter 03-29-2005 02:45 PM

And on my side is a close uncle of mine killing himself with a pistol. *shrugs*

Like I said, I'm rig..., I mean yeah, let's agree to disagree. :)

gonzo_4_life15 09-26-2005 03:14 PM

i just heard hst killed himself today, Obviously their was a motive for it other then giving up, Hunter was himself and more of a role model then any person ive ever seen on tv, He was a dope fiend to the extents that his subcontious was ignorant, had he been a lesser man he would of been diagnoised with bipolar disease and given medication to make him better, but no peanuts man thats the 1 thing thats good for you, why not anything worth doing were going to be doing right

busterb 09-26-2005 07:23 PM

This thread was started about 7 months and low and behold you just got the word today and took his nick name? Why not just follow your star and do the world a favor?

footfootfoot 09-26-2005 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb
This thread was started about 7 months and low and behold you just got the word today and took his nick name? Why not just follow your star and do the world a favor?

HAHAHAHAH!
Plus, I bet your hero would kick yore ass for yer shity speling to!

gonzo_4_life15 09-27-2005 08:31 AM

jesus terrible vibrations in this place, was their no communication in this server or have we sunken to the level of dumb beasts, I have been following his work for about a year and heard he was dead a few months ago and heard he killed himself yesterday, gonzo is truly being true to urself with no regrets all the time of course trying to be someone else would be worthy of your manners, sorry i dont have what it takes to speak about all ur political problems on a level that makes me look smart cause i have always been stupid anyways, im just some kid with the soul of a teenage girl trapped inside some emotional nazi. i mean HST was a great journalist who was trying to do the world a favour so i would give your thanks if anything.

Troubleshooter 09-27-2005 09:25 AM

Um, yeah, makes sense to me...

Happy Monkey 09-27-2005 09:34 AM

What's an emotional nazi? A soup nazi won't give you soup, a grammar nazi is something you should probably hire, what does an emotional nazi do?

gonzo_4_life15 09-27-2005 10:01 AM

an emonazi? an emo nazi no few people understand the psycology of a monkey most people will immediatley pull over to the side this is wrong arouses contempt in ur heart, make the bastard chase you, he will follow.

ashke 09-27-2005 10:04 AM

I don't get it, what's this guy saying, I read and read but my eyes just glaze over. X_X

plthijinx 09-27-2005 10:05 AM

[butthead] hehe. he said "monkey" [/butthead]