The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sew Time Consuming (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21155)

kerosene 10-10-2009 04:35 PM

Sew Time Consuming

3 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a replacement footpeddle for my sewing machine that had been out of commission for years. I have never been much of a seamstress, but lately I have taken up a passion for sewing. I am fascinated with all of the things one can do with a simple sewing machine. This week I made a bag. I have been carrying it around like a purse. I guess I must be a bag lady now. As you can see, I had a little trouble with the edge stitching around the opening. I try to do everything by machine if I can help it. Maybe I could have used a different needle in the thick layers of fabric? Does anyone else sew?

limey 10-10-2009 05:07 PM

I like it!

kerosene 10-10-2009 11:51 PM

Thanks! I am thinking of making some more padded versions for laptops and stuff.

classicman 10-11-2009 06:51 AM

I don't sew, but it looks very nice. well done.

Clodfobble 10-11-2009 08:06 AM

It's funny, because my sewing machine just came out of the closet for the first time in about 2 years. Not for me--for Mr. Clod. Because he talked the kids into these labor-intensive homemade Halloween costumes, and I waved my hands and said, "Not my responsibility, I'm not up for it this year" repeatedly, but I still had the cynical assumption that when push came to shove I'd have to get it done myself.

Not so! He sewed like a champ, especially good considering it was essentially his first time ever using a sewing machine. I was genuinely impressed.

Shawnee123 10-11-2009 09:44 AM

It's very nice. It looks a lot like the stuff at my sis-in-law's party where her friend was selling similar bags and the like. I'm hoping to get the stuff I ordered today.

I can't sew to save my life.

case is multi-talented!

wolf 10-11-2009 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm too busy doing other things to sew. I really love that bag, though. I could probably manage something like that!

I'm crocheting a twilight camo hooded kanga sweater for myself (that just means there's a big pocket across the belly) right now.

I did make a cute ladybug petit-point for momwolf while I was sitting with her in the ER, though. It's not actually framed yet, I need to get the right kind of craft glue to finish it.

Tulip 10-11-2009 11:44 AM

That bag is very nice indeed! Well done! :thumb: I don't sew...I guess I just made my compliment worthless...:p hihi...Anyways, I had home-ec in 7th grade, learned the basics of a sewing machine, know a few seamstress, hem my own pants whenever I'm not too lazy, so I do know a few things about sewing. Yes, you'd need a different needle for thicker fabric. And in some cases, you may even need to change the presser foot. However, in this case, that wasn't necessary.

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2009 08:47 PM

Upholstery needle. ;)

Tulip 10-12-2009 03:33 PM

Bruce, you sew, talented man? ;)

Pie 10-12-2009 03:44 PM

Sewing is one of those things I wish I had picked up from my grandmother when was younger.... Oh well. At least I can still impress my husband by replacing a missing button...

ZenGum 10-12-2009 05:46 PM

Pie, stapling doesn't count. :p

Me, I'm still trying to sew my wild oats. No, wait ....

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 600597)
Bruce, you sew, talented man? ;)

Used to do leather, I just gave a commercial leather machine away. Still have the antique Singer Patch Machine for sewing harnesses and such, but I was never very good with that one.

kerosene 10-13-2009 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Wolf, I love the ladybug! The bag was not too hard to make. I mean, I don't have a lot of sewing experience and I managed to pull it off, for the most part. You could incorporate your needle point projects into a bag of some type. I don't know why I am so obsessed with bags!

Bruce, I will get an upholstery needle. What did you use to make out of leather? I saw some really neat leather tooling the other day and it made me want to try that, too.

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2009 11:19 AM

http://cellar.org/2009/catwoman.jpg

Just kidding. :haha:

Nothing complicated, mostly fixing stuff, or simple things like saddle bags or tool bags.

dar512 10-13-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 600816)
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Wolf, I love the ladybug! The bag was not too hard to make. I mean, I don't have a lot of sewing experience and I managed to pull it off, for the most part. You could incorporate your needle point projects into a bag of some type. I don't know why I am so obsessed with bags!

Bruce, I will get an upholstery needle. What did you use to make out of leather? I saw some really neat leather tooling the other day and it made me want to try that, too.

I don't have time these days, but I still use a checkbook cover and a mouse pad that I worked and dyed. I particularly like the checkbook cover because part of it is a portrait of one of our dogs who has since passed on.

I got started when I was a kid and there was a Tandy leather shop in the local mall.

Tulip 10-14-2009 12:56 AM

Would a person need a heavy duty sewing machine to sew thick materials, such as leather, upholstery, etc.? For example, Bruce said he just gave his commercial leather machine away. I have a regular Singer sewing machine at home and that can't sew denim. I either have to hand hem my jeans or ask a friend who uses a professional all metal sewing machine. I'm not sure what kind of sewing machine Case has so I'm just wondering out loud. :p Oh, and my two cents on the needle is that I don't think Case really need an upholstery needle for the bag since it's fabric. But hey, what do I know. :p

kerosene 10-14-2009 03:34 PM

I don't have a fancy sewing machine...just a little Kenmore one I got as a gift from my parents many years ago. I think I could have done the edgestitch on that bag better if I had been more careful. I was at the end of the project and got excited about having done it, that I rushed through and made some errors. Perhaps if I had slowed down it would have gone better.

Do I need a different kind of sewing machine to do my bags in, say, canvas or corduroy?

Tulip 10-17-2009 09:03 PM

Hmmm....I'm sorry, but I really don't know. Corduroy doesn't sound too thick to need another sewing machine while canvas may be. If you have some sample fabric, give it a shot to see. :D Does anyone have a definite knowledge on this? Hmm...Bruce, would you know?

xoxoxoBruce 10-17-2009 10:21 PM

No, the machine's ability to adjust for thickness, and power to handle heavier needles in stiffer (harder to stab) fabrics, varies greatly even in different models of the same brand.

The best thing is talk to someone with a lot of experience on the same machine you have, which is damn near impossible, unless you can find them in a sewing forum online.

If you can find somebody local, that has experience doing what you want to do, and convince them to try it on your machine, they'd know right away if your machine is capable.

If you talk to the people that sell your machine, they might know the manufacturers recommendations for models vs materials. But just as likely, they'd try to bullshit you into buying a heavier machine.

Wouldn't hurt to plug the make/model of your machine into Google, and see what shows up.

Cicero 10-17-2009 10:43 PM

I have to hand sew everything because the machines always break for one reason or the other. I usually try to sew up something that is broken and I end up with 2 things that are broken, when I use the machine. You obviously have more skill and patience with it. Nice bag. Please send the laptop case or cover as that sounds awesome!! lol!

Juniper 10-17-2009 11:47 PM

I love the bag. I made something similar recently - I also am in love with tote bags. Also recently made two lined grocery bags patterned after those flimsy plastic ones, but I wish I'd made them bigger. I saw a website where some lady had made a bunch of grocery bags out of a sheet she got for a buck at the thrift store, thought that was an awesome idea. So far I've made the "prototype" but the rest of my thrift-store sheet is wadded up in the closet. :)

I love to sew. Don't have much time for it these days.

kerosene 10-20-2009 08:36 AM

Thanks for the advice, Bruce. I don't know anyone who owns a Kenmore. The people at Sears don't even seem to remember what a sewing machine is. :P I am still trying, though. It seems to be working with canvas alright and corduroy. However, I am working on a little cosmetics bag with heavy fusible interfacing and I have broken 2 needles trying to get the zipper on the damn thing. I went out and bought some more heavy duty needles, so perhaps that will help.

I love totes, too. I was going to try the grocery bag pattern. I might have to do that, still. I want to try making a messenger bag with the corduroy, though. Hopefully I don't break the machine.

Tulip 10-20-2009 09:00 PM

I was about to tell you to just try sew with those fabrics to see if the machine can handle it. I guess you already tried that. :D

Why don't you put up more pix of your finished products? We would love to see them. :D

kerosene 10-21-2009 12:09 AM

I definitely will post more as I get more done. I have been stuck behind this shirt I am making and the stupid cosmetics bag that I am ready to throw away. :)

limey 10-21-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 602347)
I definitely will post more as I get more done. I have been stuck behind this shirt I am making and the stupid cosmetics bag that I am ready to throw away. :)

[has mental image of very small person trapped behind fabric items, struggling to get out]

kerosene 10-21-2009 01:41 PM

That's sort of like how it feels.

kerosene 10-28-2009 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I took Bruce's advice and got some heavier duty needles. I kept breaking the standard ones, so I thought it was time. The problem is, Joann's didn't have any needles for my machine called "apholstry", so I got ones that were designed for sewing jeans. They seem to be working well.

I have been carrying that bag around as a purse and kind of forgot about it. My friend here in town liked my black and white bag so much she told me she would buy some from me. Woohoo! So I have to make three of these. I started with this one. I finished it a couple of days ago. I made it a little differently, with stiffer interfacing in the body and no interfacing in the handles. I think I still like the original better. But this one is nice and sturdy.

classicman 10-28-2009 09:21 PM

thats beautiful -

Tulip 10-29-2009 12:44 AM

I like this second bag! Maybe it's the pattern or it's the color, or both! Hehe....don't know why but I really like it. :D

Glad you found the needles that work. :D

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2009 01:39 AM

Nice job, Case, now you're officially a professional bag lady. :haha:

Clodfobble 10-29-2009 08:14 AM

Make it bigger, and put some pockets inside, and you've got yourself a hip custom-diaper-bag business (and unlike purses, there is a real lack of hip diaper bags out there.)

kerosene 10-29-2009 09:40 AM

Actually, Clod, I am working on a design for that right now. It has a whole slew of pockets inside and out and is bigger than this bag. I will post that when I get it done.

I have always wanted to be a bag lady, Bruce.

Thank you for your compliments, Tulip and C-man.

We are snowed in today and I needed to go to the fabric store to get more supplies. I guess it will have to wait. I think I am going to make a book cover or something while I am stuck in the house.

kerosene 11-03-2009 08:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So my friend wanted one similar to the first one I made. She also wanted a smaller one for her niece. Then she wanted one for another relative. I just finished these yesterday. Sorry the picture is so blurry.

Clodfobble 11-03-2009 10:43 AM

Case, those are awesome! I'm really impressed by the fabric coordination on the first two.

Juniper 11-03-2009 11:52 AM

I love the little birdie buttons!

dar512 11-03-2009 02:58 PM

Time to give Vera Bradley a run for her money!

kerosene 11-03-2009 03:09 PM

Thanks, guys! :)

Who is Vera Bradley? Time to get the google out.

kerosene 11-03-2009 03:12 PM

post google: ah, interesting. She has some nice designs.

dar512 11-03-2009 03:18 PM

It's a big thing here. Mrs. Dar and both darlets have VB stuff.

monster 11-04-2009 07:17 AM

impressive stuff, case. A new avenue of income?

kerosene 11-04-2009 04:53 PM

One can hope! Thanks, monnie.

My friend came and bought 3 bags from me, yesterday. She bought the black and white with green interior, the turquoise and brown and white one that I posted last and chose a different fabric for the birdie one. So, That made me pretty happy. I just have to make one of the small ones for her, now.

Shawnee123 11-04-2009 08:37 PM

With your artist's eye and your apparent ability with the sewing machine, you might consider marketing these. They're good, and like dar said...on par with Vera Bradley and I wonder how she started out? You're talented enough to pull this off!

kerosene 11-04-2009 09:18 PM

Shawnee! Thanks for your encouragement. :) I hope to market them once I have solidified what exactly works the best as far as products. I have been doing a bunch of research on these, on Etsy.com and elsewhere, and I think there is a market for them. I just need to find my niche. I am trying to come up with a name for a company. I want to make bags, purses, wallets, checkbook covers, bookmarks, book covers, gadget holders and whatever else comes to mind for carrying things around. I am having a hard time coming up with a name. Any ideas?

monster 11-05-2009 08:34 AM

Case's cases?

monster 11-05-2009 08:35 AM

Case2Go

the 2 probably wants to be susperscript

monster 11-05-2009 08:36 AM

Cases case's :D

kerosene 11-05-2009 09:02 AM

That's funny. I wasn't even thinking about my name.

Justin Case
(I actually have a brother named Justin. True story!)

Case Cases

Shawnee123 11-05-2009 11:26 AM

Case's Carryalls

Or something along those lines?

kerosene 11-05-2009 02:22 PM

That could work! I like that one.

monster 11-05-2009 03:02 PM

By the Case

Shawnee123 11-05-2009 03:28 PM

Oh, that one is really good!

dar512 11-05-2009 03:29 PM

I like the way we've planned Case's future for her.

But I can't resist my suggestion for a name:

Special Cases

kerosene 11-05-2009 03:46 PM

Case by Case

dar512 11-05-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 606018)
Case by Case

Excellent!

kerosene 11-05-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 606013)
I like the way we've planned Case's future for her.

Yes, just let me know what I should do next! I like it this way, so I don't have to make any decisions. You guys are like my cyber parents.:D

dar512 11-05-2009 04:00 PM

1. Design five more purses, wallets etc.
  2. Get Oprah to talk about them
  3. Profits!!!

kerosene 11-05-2009 04:01 PM

I'm on it!

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2009 04:37 PM

I can see it now...
Oprah: And joining us today, a Colorado woman, and her meteoric rise from baglady to Haute Couture designer.:D

Clodfobble 11-05-2009 04:44 PM

There's a woman in town with a pretty solid purse-making home business, case (except I like your designs a lot better, she's kind of more into the chic clutch purse thing rather than the useful shoulder bag.) What she's found to be the most successful business model is to get her happy customers to host "purse parties" at their house. The host gets a bag for half-off, and all the guests get $5 off or whatever. She brings a huge array of fabric swatches and some basic designs, and lets the guests custom-build while they get drunk on wine the hostess supplies. :) Then she delivers them to the hostess for distribution to her friends a week or two later.

I got my favorite purse ever from her, and even got some of the customizations named after me in her design books (all her purse models get names, like "The Anna") because I wanted so many she'd never been asked to do before, like a little 3" by 4" pocket sewn near the top on the inside for my cellphone. And it was so much fun to mix and match all these funky fabrics she had.