The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So, how was your day? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34276)

lumberjim 05-12-2019 07:52 PM

So, how was your day?

Mine was pretty good. About to eat steak and shrimp and asparagus and cauliflower and watch Idol, then Got.

Skol!

Clodfobble 05-12-2019 09:39 PM

Wuz okay. Mr. Clod tried to be helpful and take the dogs out to pee this morning, except they were NOT having such a drastic change of routine and kept leaping on the bed and stomping all over my face and guts until I got up and took them out myself.

We took my daughter's birthday donations to the animal shelter, Mr. Clod ran an errand for me, and then the four of us went to see Detective Pikachu. It was pretty good for a kids' fluff movie.

DanaC 05-13-2019 01:04 PM

Yesterday - was very relaxing. Nice woods walk with the dog and them chilled out watching American Gods with a smoke

Today - pretty good - work is reasonably low stress at the moment - over the past week and a half the stress levels have come down, the backlog has cleared and the new direct dial system has started to work properly - of course we'll see how it works when we get a weather event and the phones are getting slam busy :P

Griff 05-13-2019 04:41 PM

Kind of a Monday, cold and wet, I did get an email from a friend recruiting for her boss though. hmmm...

lumberjim 05-13-2019 07:47 PM

yeah, odd kind of day here, too.

On Friday, Ripley hit a parked car in a Target parking lot. She did the right thing, left him my number. (I told her to leave mine instead of hers, she's a good person)

he got an estimate, I agreed to pay the $1000 instead of going through insurance....

and after all day talking to him via emails, we realize that he is friends with a guy that works for me, who I'm good friends with (went to his wedding in January). He was very pleased that she didn't just take off. Complimented me (and jinx) on raising good kids.

tw 05-13-2019 09:00 PM

Took some soap and went outside to take a shower.

Around here, we have had so many that they cannot even give them away.

xoxoxoBruce 05-13-2019 11:34 PM

Have you been drinking tw?

Gravdigr 05-14-2019 12:07 PM

Wonder if he makes sense when he's drunk?

He sure doesn't seem to when he's sober...

YMMV

Carruthers 05-14-2019 04:09 PM

One day here is much like any other although the newspapers tend to be a bit heavier on two of them.

Today, however, I looked after my neighbour's boisterous and energetic Vizsla which was a welcome change in routine.

I took it for a couple of walks before taking it home at about 4.30pm, the neighbour's son having returned from school.

Just after 6.00pm the doorbell rang and both neighbour and dog were there.

She'd taken it for a walk and on passing our drive the dog executed a swift left turn of its own accord and dragged the owner to our door.

I like to think it was a gesture of thanks!

zippyt 05-14-2019 04:21 PM

day started as planned , had some great help from a 4 man crew at a steel mill helping me shim ( adjust height ) up 2 big alloy bins , 1 was a young Army guy , other older dude was ex Navy , so we had a good time ragging on each other and working , got done early
then got to go work on a 20,000 lb tank they make Vasaline in , in the next few days i have the Privilege of crawling around under it to change a load cell , WEEEEE!!!! at least ill be Moisturized .
then my boss called and i have to go see a freaked out customer tomorrow

So over all not that bad a day , weather was nice at least

lumberjim 05-14-2019 04:33 PM

It's been chilly and raining up here for 3 days. Supposed to be nice tomorrow. We're gonna go look at a house.

And then Amandas birthday dinner at capital grill. Shlurpp

Undertoad 05-14-2019 05:18 PM

busy as shit today, and you know how it always goes: customer submitted 9 changes with one modification in each of 'em when they could have submitted one change with 9 modifications in it. innit always the way. big dummies

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2019 10:29 PM

If the customer had submitted one change with 9 mods and one or more of the mods proved to be impossible or inadvisable, would you have rejected the whole change with the possibility of the other mods getting lost in the shuffle?
I've seen that happen in a manufacturing context.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA!!

Undertoad 05-14-2019 10:52 PM

Different for most of our customers, but in this case, we'd just email the person and ask WTF; and they'd say, no just go ahead with the rest, and we'll figure the bogus one out later.

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2019 11:14 PM

It's a big help when you can talk to or at least text the right person.

Griff 05-15-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1032476)

Just after 6.00pm the doorbell rang and both neighbour and dog were there.

She'd taken it for a walk and on passing our drive the dog executed a swift left turn of its own accord and dragged the owner to our door.

Good guy status, dog verified.

Carruthers 05-15-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1032500)
Good guy status, dog verified.

Thank you! :thumb:

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2019 07:16 AM

How do we know it wasn't She dragging the dog to his door. Poor dogs get blamed for her amorous escapades. http://cellar.org/2015/shades.gif

Carruthers 05-15-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1032505)
How do we know it wasn't She dragging the dog to his door. Poor dogs get blamed for her amorous escapades. http://cellar.org/2015/shades.gif

Well, let's put it this way.

Today is Day 2 of canine care duty and when I went to collect the mighty hound a couple of hours ago I was dragged back to my own front door. :)

It's a funny old world. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2019 07:27 AM

Oh, so the puppy really wants to see your Dad. :p:

Clodfobble 05-16-2019 09:25 PM

Well, dang. Minifob is off to his first overnight school trip. Mr. Clod is a semi-chaperone*, so everything should go off without a hitch. But I was excited to have a few girls-only days with Minifobette. She and I ate dinner early (normally we don't eat until 7:45 or so, after Mr. Clod gets home) so we could watch a movie even though it was a school night.

Except we forgot to remove the dinnertime pill that makes her super sleepy and save it for bedtime. So she just passed out on the couch 90 minutes early instead. Oh well. Hopefully we'll remember tomorrow.

*For legal reasons our school does not allow parent chaperones. However, for legal reasons they also have a stick up their butt about medications, which Minifob takes a shit ton of. So everyone agreed that if Mr. Clod just happens to be standing nearby and administers medication to his own child, the staff doesn't have to go through the rigamarole of having everything in its original container, etc.

xoxoxoBruce 05-16-2019 10:20 PM

Sappy girly movie? http://cellar.org/2015/shades.gif

Clodfobble 05-17-2019 06:56 AM

John Mulaney stand-up special, actually. She's a fan. :)

Gravdigr 05-17-2019 10:09 AM

I'm currently sampling an older John Mulaney special off NetFlix, and he doesn't sound as much like Katherine Hepburn as he did in the other (newer) one I saw.

I just Wiki'd him so I could spell his name right, and looked at his wife's page:

Quote:

Annamarie Starr Tendler Mulaney...is an American makeup artist, bicyclist, writer, photographer, and lampshade designer.
I don't reckon there'll be any confusion with any other Annamarie Starr Tendler Mulaneys.

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1032619)
John Mulaney stand-up special, actually. She's a fan. :)

I should have known. :smack:

Griff 05-17-2019 03:05 PM

The ladies here appreciate him as well. I can’t say I completely get it.

lumberjim 05-17-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1032662)
The ladies here appreciate him as well. I can’t say I completely get it.

You may not have heard this bit...

and if you really want to visualize the experience portrayed above....

Gravdigr 05-18-2019 12:27 PM

Greatest Tom Jones story I've ever heard. Best Mulaney bit, too.

Some morning dj's (Bob and Tom maybe) edited all the "cat"s from What's New Pussycat, IIRC it was somewhat funny.

Griff 05-18-2019 01:23 PM

I've got a week off to hang with the fam. I just moved a shit ton of firewood to a good spot for splitting. Is a sunny day so I'll get a ride in. Good day thus far.

Gravdigr 05-18-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1032717)
...firewood to a good spot for splitting. Is a sunny day so I'll get a ride in...

:lol2:

Gravdigr 05-19-2019 11:10 AM

This day is already shot right in the fucking head. I do not know a single person that can make a plan for more than 15 minutes into the future and pull it off. Not one. This is the last person I try to help, fuck 'em. All of 'em. I don't know anyone who isn't too fucking stupid to live. Everybody I know is just dumber than shit. How have these people lived this long? How on Earth do they get by being this fucking ignorant?

Help you? Fuck you. I'll help the next person that helps me. See how well that shit goes.

Want a ride? Sure, I'll give you a ride, $3 per mile. And get screwed if you don't like it, call a cab.

Goddamn, I hate people,

zippyt 05-19-2019 11:21 AM

Well a jolly good morning to you to !!!!

sexobon 05-19-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1032771)
… Goddamn, I hate people,

You're channeling old Doris Day. She ended up liking animals more than people.

xoxoxoBruce 05-19-2019 01:41 PM

She had good reason.

sexobon 05-19-2019 04:16 PM

News services said she didn't want a funeral, memorial service; or, even a grave marker. Reportedly; because, she didn't like either fame or death. But everyone knows she just didn't want anyone showing her animals where they could dig up her bones.

tw 05-20-2019 09:25 AM

Every day always ends badly. It gets dark.

zippyt 05-20-2019 07:03 PM

so i started the day driving to a customer plant to check scales , get there , phone rings , nope parts are in go here , change 1
driving to get parts , phone rings again , its a fellow tech asking how to fix a scale , i explain it to him , and that i have the parts he needs , so i have to meet up with him , change 2
get parts , phone rings , a customer is going thru an audit and cant find a cal cert on a scale , so i get the info ( serial number etc,,,) from the office lady , as i get half way thru filling out a new form , she calls back , nope dont worry about it , the form was stuck to the back of another one , all good ,
so i drive to the site ( a power plant ) have to sit thru contractor orientation ( weeeee theres an hour of my life ill never get back )
pull in new wires , assimble the pc , its Freaken pass worded , call the programer , try this , NOPE , 5 freaken times , yep ok
start hooking up the tag reader , streach out a temp cable for my pc , try to power up the tag reader , NOPE , power supply is bad .
so i call to order a new one , programmer said did you get the files into the scale , me What files , turns out there are files i have to load in to the scale , me well thats nice to know , what else , oh graffic files to , oh and settings ( no documentation )
yeah its monday

xoxoxoBruce 05-20-2019 11:20 PM

On the up side, you couldn't have screwed anything up because you didn't get a chance to do anything. ;)

God I hated those "contractor orientation" sessions. Some power plants would give us a test at the end. I almost didn't get into A Commonwealth Edison plant because I left one question blank.
The question was, "If you're injured who do you tell?"
The answer was, "Your supervisor".
I said that wasn't covered in the orientation.
The guy says yeah, but every employee knows that. :facepalm:

lumberjim 05-21-2019 01:18 AM

I ordered something from Amazon today for $4.49. It's a2 inch coin with a blade. Looked cool, might be useful for opening boxes, you know, impulse buy. Thing is, it's expected to arrive June 11th - July 2nd. Coming from China, obviously....

For $4.49 including shipping. How much profit could they possibly be making. I don't think you can mail a letter to China for that much. What's going on here?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a9b9c07b0e.jpg

glatt 05-21-2019 06:34 AM

I read something that there is some mail treaty between countries and China gets an amazing deal on shipping. Basically, the USPO is subsidizing little purchases from China like this.

henry quirk 05-21-2019 05:59 PM

that there blade looks like a disaster in the makin'

:bandaid:

monster 05-21-2019 08:43 PM

2.15 on ebay (more risky obviously but....) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Protab...frcectupt=true

When Trump was banging on about going after unfair trade deals with china/whatev, I kind of assumed it would be this sort of thing but.... :/

monster 05-21-2019 08:44 PM

My day was shitty with splashes of crap and a mixed misery garnish.

Thanks for asking.

Griff 05-22-2019 10:44 AM

Vacationing with muh peeps. Is good.