The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So, Like, I got Fired ... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24897)

wolf 04-12-2011 09:03 PM

So, Like, I got Fired ...

As I quietly announced in my user title, I am unemployed.

Fired.

Shit-canned.

It's an entirely surreal experience.

The last time I lost my job, the company closed down.

That's what got me to the nuthouse as a temp. 19 years ago this summer. That's one hell of a temporary job, eh?

I learned a lot, my life headed in directions that I never expected.

But it's done.

Over.

The really short version is that although I am an awesome person, and really smart, and really capable, and know the law and the job really super well, I don't work and play well with others.

Because of something that I maintain that I did not do, I am sitting in my chair, with the television on for company, wondering what the fuck I am going to do.

I'm trying to start with the small stuff. I've been doing laundry today, and I threw some past-date stuff out of the refrigerator.

I also have started looking for an attorney. I know shit-all about choosing an attorney, so if anyone knows one with termination-of-employment experience, it would be helpful.

I have some documents that need to be looked over.

I am also looking for pointers on how to fill out the unemployment paperwork.

oh. fuck.

monster 04-12-2011 09:15 PM

wolf, that's horrible, I am so sorry. I wish I could help, but definitely fight it.

plthijinx 04-12-2011 09:18 PM

damn wolf! you do have the option of going to the state for a doc (dept of cor) job right?

wolf 04-12-2011 09:20 PM

Because of my current state of learned helplessness, I'm not sure that there is anything to fight for.

zippyt 04-12-2011 09:40 PM

Fight it Wolf !!!!

Wolf Helpless ??

I say BULL SHIT !!!!!

Nirvana 04-12-2011 09:51 PM

This is so WTF! :thepain:

monster 04-12-2011 10:09 PM

use the anon account and tell us the story. in a different thread

anonymoo 04-12-2011 10:35 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Our collective thoughts are with you. I try not to be confrontational and I would walk away and start over. I always felt that if they don't want me, then I don't want to be there.

monster 04-12-2011 11:14 PM

Yebbut cold card cash makes the starting over easier.

Cloud 04-12-2011 11:15 PM

what?!!!! omg awful! being fired sucks so hard I can't even say.

:(

Bullitt 04-12-2011 11:33 PM

Sorry to hear wolf. Is PA an at-will employee state? If so then I'm REALLY sorry.

Undertoad 04-12-2011 11:36 PM

All I know is that I was allowed to file UI online for the first segment and then they changed to paper

It was not difficult to file -- it was always difficult to get real people on the phone if there was a problem.

Condolences over this injustice

tw 04-13-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 722750)
I also have started looking for an attorney. I know shit-all about choosing an attorney, so if anyone knows one with termination-of-employment experience, it would be helpful.

Search for court trails that involve that particular type attorney. Go sit in some courtrooms to watch those esquires in action. Sometimes the good ones are obviously better.

casimendocina 04-13-2011 05:09 AM

Give it a bit of time (about a week if you can afford to) and direction (in addition to what other Cellarites have posted above) as to what to do next will come. Wish I could help on the legal side, but unfortunately, our system is different. :(

Griff 04-13-2011 06:38 AM

I'm sorry wolf. Its hard to get moving after something like this but you gotta.

glatt 04-13-2011 07:17 AM

Geez wolf, I'm sorry. That really sucks.

infinite monkey 04-13-2011 07:18 AM

My heart goes out to you wolf. I'll skip the platitude that when one door closes...(oh wait, I almost forgot to skip it) but I really do think some of the best things could happen to you now. But jebus this must be so hard for you. I really feel for you, and hope you keep your chin up.

Spexxvet 04-13-2011 08:23 AM

Wolf, did they go through the proper process? Were you "counselled" or warned? Is there company policy against whatever it is that you were supposed to have done? You might be shocked when you get fired, but you should never be surprised. If you were surprised, it's likely that this is a personal issue, which, IMHO, would be inappropriate dismissal.

Sheldonrs 04-13-2011 08:45 AM

I'm sorry about that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that a good job comes to you soon.

infinite monkey 04-13-2011 09:05 AM

hey wolf, wanna join the peace corps together? :)

Clodfobble 04-13-2011 09:13 AM

Dang it wolf, this sucks. I could tell you about all about unemployment benefits in Texas, but I suspect they're entirely different in PA. Since they obviously didn't give you any warning, did they at least give you any kind of severance?

Trilby 04-13-2011 10:26 AM

I;m sending good vibes your way, wolf.

lookout123 04-13-2011 10:36 AM

Damn, Wolf. Sorry to hear about this. The good news is this frees you up for a political campaign for the 2012 election. Just imagine what you could do with those well dressed nutters. Almost none of them would pee on you.

Glinda 04-13-2011 01:55 PM

Damn, damn, damn. I HATE hearing this news, but you may have recourse, so don't give up the ship yet!

I'd start here: http://www.pabar.org/public/membership/lrsblurb.asp

And then I'd go here: http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/pr...e/Pennsylvania

See what you come up with. If you've got a good case, someone will take it. If you've got an AWESOME case, someone will take it at no charge to you.

FIGHT!!!

Sundae 04-13-2011 02:03 PM

Very sorry to hear it Wolf, and I can't give any practical advice given the differences in our systems.

All I would say is apply for Unemployment Benefit (or whatever you have there) ASAP.
It's unlikely they will backdate it past the date of your claim.
If you sit on your hands for a couple of weeks, those are weeks ticking by that you won't get any money for. In this country it can take MONTHS to receive any benefit. It's backdated (to the date of your claim) but that doesn't help put food on the table in the mean time.

It's worth applying, even if you think you will have a job by this time next week.
Here's hoping you won't need it, but money is money after all.

Undertoad 04-13-2011 05:38 PM

What SG says is true -- and that part can be done really easily online.

http://www.uc.pa.gov/portal/server.p...c_pa_gov/11449

"file an initial claim" on the right-hand side.

kerosene 04-13-2011 06:25 PM

I am sorry, wolf. I can't imagine they could find anyone better for the job. What a bunch of morons! It sucks to get fired...especially when it was undeserved. Hang in there and don't stop moving. Don't let it get you down on yourself. I know all that is easy to say and might be hard to do, but you will find a way out of this mess.

DanaC 04-14-2011 07:29 AM

I wanna know how it took them 19 years to decide you weren't enough of a team player. Sounds a bit of a bullshit reason to me.

Good luck Wolf, hope you find a route to redress and a slew of new opportunities to choose from.

wolf 04-14-2011 11:49 AM

I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow morning. He seems okay, was recommended by a friend who is an attorney with the wrong sort of practice.

Free consultation, and his rate isn't as frightening as the other one that I was quoted yesterday by the lawyer with the friendliest website.

I have another attorney option if this guy doesn't pan out. He seems very focused on seeking a cause of action against the nuthouse.

My biggest concern right now is figuring out how to reply to questions on the unemployment form without making myself ineligible for benefits.

HungLikeJesus 04-14-2011 12:32 PM

Take the fifth.

Pico and ME 04-14-2011 12:36 PM

I'm sure shes already done that... *hiccup*

footfootfoot 04-14-2011 01:58 PM

Remember Wolf, when god closes one door, he makes lemonade.

Re: lawyers, see this

SteveDallas 04-14-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 722797)
Wolf, did they go through the proper process? Were you "counselled" or warned? Is there company policy against whatever it is that you were supposed to have done? You might be shocked when you get fired, but you should never be surprised. If you were surprised, it's likely that this is a personal issue, which, IMHO, would be inappropriate dismissal.

That's the beauty of "at will" employment. Even if it was personal? Not illegal. Unless wolf can prove it was, say, gender, or age, or religion-based, then it's legal to fire her for any reason.

However, if they have procedures on the books that they didn't follow (for example, giving a written warning for a first offense), it might make it much harder for them to defend, which increases the chance for a settlement.

This sucks big time, wolf. Good luck with the lawyer.

skysidhe 04-15-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 723010)

My biggest concern right now is figuring out how to reply to questions on the unemployment form without making myself ineligible for benefits.

I suppose it is finding the words for how and what you feel happened.The position you will take, which cannot be the same as your employer.
( as you know, I am sure )

I feel for ya :thepain:

Tulip 04-15-2011 10:56 AM

I hope it's not too late for me to say I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.

footfootfoot 04-15-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 723281)
I hope it's not too late for me to say I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.

you're too late for that, but not too late to tell her to sue them. I think we're still doing that. Actually, I think we're now suggesting new careers for her.

Spexxvet 04-15-2011 11:04 AM

Wolf, you didn't happen to be in a union that could protect you, did you?

SamIam 04-15-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow morning. He seems okay, was recommended by a friend who is an attorney with the wrong sort of practice.

Free consultation, and his rate isn't as frightening as the other one that I was quoted yesterday by the lawyer with the friendliest website.

I have another attorney option if this guy doesn't pan out. He seems very focused on seeking a cause of action against the nuthouse.

If they have a box marked "other" for reason for being unemployed, check that. Then in the space provided, explain in your own words what happened. Don't be adversarial or anything like that. Be very professional and let them know it was due to a mis-understanding.

wolf 04-15-2011 11:50 AM

I have seen the attorney, and he thinks he should be able to get more than is being offered. Of course, everything starts with a $1,000 retainer.

I'm confused and worried. Do I try for bonus points with no guarantee of any recovery, or slink away?

monster 04-15-2011 11:55 AM

oh wolf, I'm so sorry, I wish I could help and advise. $1,000 seems a lot, but there's a lot at stake. Is is possible to fight and lose what is already on the table?

toranokaze 04-15-2011 12:18 PM

You have both my condolences and prayers wolf. My advice is still try and get out, go to the park or the museum on a free day.
Also take inventory of your transferable of skills.
I have been unemployed until about a week ago, so I have a idea what happens when one is out of work.

lookout123 04-15-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 723318)
oh wolf, I'm so sorry, I wish I could help and advise. $1,000 seems a lot, but there's a lot at stake. Is is possible to fight and lose what is already on the table?

Only you know how things really went down. If you really truly believe the judge will look at it and say, "WTF - give this woman her job or a pile of money" then the deck is stacked against you. $1,000 is a lot to hand an attorney unless really truly believe the court will find the company at fault and order them to pay.

wolf 04-15-2011 01:19 PM

That's $1K just to start, unknown how much more they might need to continue the case ...

lookout123 04-15-2011 01:45 PM

IMO if the attorney really thought he had a chance of getting something out of this he'd be talking about taking the case on a contingency basis. Many moons ago a friend was fired by a national shoe company and she had attorneys lined up to take the case. She ended up winning 3 years pay and handed a little over 1/3 of that to the attorney who handled it.

infinite monkey 04-15-2011 01:47 PM

I wondered about that. I thought what would be in it for a lawyer for an employment contingency case? What's the most one could get, back pay, the job back? Did your friend wait three years for the settlement to occur or did they award her for wrongful termination regardless of time?

lookout123 04-15-2011 01:57 PM

I don't know why the math worked out to be 3 years pay. It was in court for probably 2-3 years but she was working elsewhere. The case was pretty cut and dry. It was a national athletic shoe chain. She was a store manager ranked in the top 10% of the company but the new district manager didn't like women managers because they were drama and got knocked up. (His opinion, not mine)

Well, she got pregnant and was at a scheduled doctor's exam when he showed up for an audit. Even though she wasn't scheduled to be at the store, he fired her for attendance issues. Dumbass. I think the reason it took so long was just a matter of numbers, not guilt.

infinite monkey 04-15-2011 02:00 PM

True, those cases can go on a long time.

Another thing to consider, for sure.

SteveDallas 04-15-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 723314)
I have seen the attorney, and he thinks he should be able to get more than is being offered. Of course, everything starts with a $1,000 retainer.

I'm confused and worried. Do I try for bonus points with no guarantee of any recovery, or slink away?

I can't make a financial calculation on limited knowledge of the situation (to say nothing of the fact that IANAL).

However my advice is to fight it. I believe, down the road, in the grand scheme of things, you will regret not pushing back more than you will going to court and losing, if it comes to that.

monster 04-15-2011 02:51 PM

Are there any lawyers who will take it on a contingency basis, wolf?

SteveDallas 04-15-2011 02:55 PM

Yeah I was thinking if nothing else, get a second opinion.

Aliantha 04-15-2011 06:58 PM

I'm sorry you got the arse Wolf. I hope you can get yourself sorted out really quickly.

TheMercenary 04-15-2011 07:31 PM

Wow, so sorry about that wolf. I will miss your stories. I hope you find employment soon. Maybe it is time for a big move to another state in the same line of work. Something radical....

Clodfobble 04-15-2011 10:02 PM

The lawyers who took our WARN Act violation case (when the videogame company improperly laid us all off) also took it on contingency. I think their fee was 1/3 of the money awarded, but they also followed the damn case for almost 6 years, they more than deserved it.

bluecuracao 04-15-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

If you feel that your termination wasn't your fault, then by all means say that on the UC form.

Is there someone in HR at your old place of employment you can call? Maybe you can find out if they plan to deny your benefits and ask them not to. If they are already offering you severance pay, then it's possible they won't give you a problem about unemployment compensation (which they pay into ahead of time, like insurance).

But if they do plan to say it was your fault...I don't think PA will deny you unemployment if the reason was you did not play well with someone at work. It would have to be something more serious than that.

My former boss was fired for something along those lines (supposedly), yet he was still able to collect unemployment.

I am very sorry this happened to you, Wolf! It happened to me a few months ago, so I know what you must be going through.

limey 04-16-2011 07:20 AM

OMG. Wolf. Fuck. That sucks. Sending positive vibes your way ...

pensive pam 04-18-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 722750)
As I quietly announced in my user title, I am unemployed.

Fired.

Shit-canned.

It's an entirely surreal experience.

The last time I lost my job, the company closed down.

That's what got me to the nuthouse as a temp. 19 years ago this summer. That's one hell of a temporary job, eh?

I learned a lot, my life headed in directions that I never expected.

But it's done.

Over.

The really short version is that although I am an awesome person, and really smart, and really capable, and know the law and the job really super well, I don't work and play well with others.

Because of something that I maintain that I did not do, I am sitting in my chair, with the television on for company, wondering what the fuck I am going to do.

I'm trying to start with the small stuff. I've been doing laundry today, and I threw some past-date stuff out of the refrigerator.

I have some documents that need to be looked over.

I am also looking for pointers on how to fill out the unemployment paperwork.

oh. fuck.

I was fired too...I'm just no good...

monster 04-21-2011 04:02 PM

Hey wolf, any news?

wolf 04-21-2011 04:12 PM

Nothing at this point. There is a job fair this coming Monday that I'm planning on attending, but of course none of the companies that are attending are the sort that do the kind of thing that I did ... however, there is always the chance that one of these regular corporate types of places is looking to hire for their Employee Assistance Program.

Mainly I'm going for the practice in the meet and greet 5 minute make an impression interview(ette). I have purchased some special (i.e., cheaper) resume paper, because the job fair people say to take 30 copies of your resume.

Now, here's the big question ... since this is basically a fishing expedition ... do I print my two page resume single sided like you're supposed to, or double sided so it doesn't get separated and lost?

pensive pam 04-21-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 725375)
Nothing at this point. There is a job fair this coming Monday that I'm planning on attending, but of course none of the companies that are attending are the sort that do the kind of thing that I did ... however, there is always the chance that one of these regular corporate types of places is looking to hire for their Employee Assistance Program.

Mainly I'm going for the practice in the meet and greet 5 minute make an impression interview(ette). I have purchased some special (i.e., cheaper) resume paper, because the job fair people say to take 30 copies of your resume.

Now, here's the big question ... since this is basically a fishing expedition ... do I print my two page resume single sided like you're supposed to, or double sided so it doesn't get separated and lost?

Hi Wolf! Thanks for your advice on my other two threads. I am much younger than you but I do know that IF you do have a 2 page resume, print in on two pieces of paper. Secondly, try not to skimp on the stock quality of your paper. Hard to explain. A heavier stock feels more 'valuable.' and carries more weight. It's psychological. If a recruiter has two resumes in his hand - one printed on regular 8x10 stock paper, and one printed on heavier fancier paper - he will gravitate towards the better stock quality...
Hope this helps,
Your friend,
Pam.

wolf 04-21-2011 04:24 PM

I used to do some graphic design. I understand about weight, color, and fonts.