The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Andy Griffith secretly a Muslim? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27622)

chrisinhouston 07-04-2012 01:20 PM

Was Andy Griffith secretly a Muslim?

He was buried less than 5 hours after his death and Muslims usually bury their dead with in 24 hours so one can only wonder about this. And while he did do some gospel music recordings that could have just been a diversion so folks would not know.

Someone needs to interview Donald Trump and I hope Sheriff Joe Arpaio will get his Cold Case Posse on this right away!:eek:

Gravdigr 07-04-2012 02:55 PM

Aw, FFS.

Rhianne 07-04-2012 05:18 PM

Mr. Griffith with one of his famous halal hot dogs.

DanaC 07-04-2012 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hurr hurr

infinite monkey 07-04-2012 05:33 PM

I don't understand this thread. Is there something important going on?

DanaC 07-04-2012 06:11 PM

Well, as of that search, we're third result for 'Andy Griffith muslim'...

Pico and ME 07-04-2012 06:34 PM

Just now, when I did it, it was first...lol.

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2012 09:57 PM

I thought Andy Griffith was a member of the Church of The Whale Penis. :cool:

zippyt 07-04-2012 10:07 PM

AG a Muslum , No !!!

Nirvana 07-04-2012 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
;)

Attachment 39417

classicman 07-05-2012 01:20 AM

:) nice one Nirvana.

DanaC 07-05-2012 05:11 AM

'sack lunch'? Never heard that term before!

ZenGum 07-05-2012 07:01 AM

That is a remarkably quick burial, though. Don't some kinds of Judaism also go for quick burials?

chrisinhouston 07-05-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 818558)
That is a remarkably quick burial, though. Don't some kinds of Judaism also go for quick burials?

Seriously, this is what my wife and I said. In most states if a person dies at home and is not in Hospice care they have to do an autopsy to ensure the death was a natural one. And in Texas even if someone is in Hospice care and dies at home there is a rule that the burial must be no sooner then 24 hours from the death.

CNN noted that no cause of death had been released either by the EMS team that went to the home or by the mortuary that handled the burial. I looked up embalming and it can be done in 2-3 hours so either they were very prepared to do it or it was what is called a "green burial" which some states allow and some don't.

infinite monkey 07-05-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Legendary actor and comedian Andy Griffith was laid to rest quickly, buried by family less than five hours after he died.

Griffith's body was placed in a grave on Roanoke Island near the coast of North Carolina at approximately 11:30 a.m., a funeral spokesman told CNN.

"It had been planned for some time," said the spokesman. "This was the wish of his family."
http://news.yahoo.com/andy-griffith-...opstories.html

Quote:

Traditional funeral customs often allow for a more extended period between death and burial, so family and friends may have more opportunity to visit and pay their respects.

Still, said Stegall, "the family's wishes are always abided by."

"Andy was a person of incredibly strong Christian faith and was prepared for the day he would be called Home to his Lord," Griffith's wife, Cindi, said in a statement on Tuesday.
http://www.wibw.com/home/nationalnew...161357685.html

Quote:

A green funeral seeks to return one’s remains back to the
earth as simply and directly as possible, thus avoiding
embalming and metal caskets that are common in today’s
modern funerals. Green funerals are becoming
increasingly popular as they are environmentally friendly,
affordable and allow families to customize their memorial
services prior to following or at the graveside.
http://ncgreenfunerals.com/Home.html <-------- psst, North Carolina.

Geez that was like no work at all debunking the lastest stupid conspiracy theory.

Rhianne 07-05-2012 08:45 AM

It was more work than I was prepared to put in! (see above)

chrisinhouston 07-05-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 818575)
Geez that was like no work at all debunking the lastest stupid conspiracy theory.

No conspiracy theory intended.

I only pointed out that many states have either a waiting time between death and burial and that some require that deaths in a home include a post mortem autopsy. Also there usually needs to be a doctor or other medical person to document the cause of death before a funeral home will accept a body. Maybe North Carolina does not do this. I've had to do handle burials for several of my own family members so in my state and where my parents live I base what I say on experience.

And my original post that started this thread was only meant as a bit of humor and verbal irony which seems pretty common here. Sorry if it offended you or caused confusion.

Beest 07-05-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 818554)
'sack lunch'? Never heard that term before!

Surprisingly 'brown baggin' it' is not a sexual innuendo ( to my knowledge) but refers to taking you lunch to school, work etc in a brown paper bag (also sack lunch), made especially for the purpose, making them completely disposable.

http://www.squawkfox.com/wp-content/...-paper-bag.JPG

DanaC 07-05-2012 10:18 AM

Ahh.

So, not exactly the same meaning as 'packed lunch' which might be in a bag or a box or other container.

wolf 07-05-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 818570)
Seriously, this is what my wife and I said. In most states if a person dies at home and is not in Hospice care they have to do an autopsy to ensure the death was a natural one. And in Texas even if someone is in Hospice care and dies at home there is a rule that the burial must be no sooner then 24 hours from the death.

CNN noted that no cause of death had been released either by the EMS team that went to the home or by the mortuary that handled the burial. I looked up embalming and it can be done in 2-3 hours so either they were very prepared to do it or it was what is called a "green burial" which some states allow and some don't.

My understanding is that In most states there is no autopsy following a hospice death. The death is expected. Also, part of a hospice contract is that you will not call EMS for anything ... including the passing. You, or rather, the hospice nurse that pronounces the death calls the funeral home to come and get the body. That's the way it works in Pennsylvania, anyway. I've done this twice in recent years.

Autopsies happen automatically in cases of unexpected death at home, or within 24 hours of a hospital admission.

chrisinhouston 07-05-2012 11:48 AM

So, perhaps Andy was in home hospice care, which would make sense. I think he and his family just wanted a low publicity funeral and if the family was all present at the time of death it may have just been easier to do it quickly. Funerals and memorials are for the living, they bring closure. INMO by the time of the funeral the deceased have long since vacated the real estate that they lived in.

wolf 07-05-2012 12:03 PM

Maybe he was secretly Jewish?

DanaC 07-05-2012 12:25 PM

Maybe he was a Jewslim?

Rhianne 07-05-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 818600)
Maybe he was secretly Jewish?

I refer you to my earlier post (#3). Please substitute the word 'halal' with 'kosher'.

classicman 07-05-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 818594)
So, not exactly the same meaning as 'packed lunch' which might be in a bag or a box or other container.

I thought it was from the term "bindle" where a hobo would carry his belongings in a sack on a stick. Before there were paper bags, people carried their lunch in a sack or pack.

I thought anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Clodfobble 07-05-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC

Kind of. There's some overlap depending on the context. If I say, "I brought a sack lunch," chances are good I do mean that it is in one of those ubiquitous brown paper bags. If it's in a lunchbox, I would just say, "I brought my lunch."

However, if I am attending a conference, for example, the flyer may say "Lunch will be provided," which likely means a serve-yourself low-cost catered spread, anything from salads and soups, to barbecue, to pizza. But if it says "A sack lunch will be provided," it means premade sandwiches packaged up in bundles with a cookie and a bag of chips (crisps,) or somesuch. You might get to choose between the ham sandwich bundle or the turkey sandwich bundle, but there won't be a lot of variety. Notably, in this case the sack lunch will almost certainly not be in a brown paper bag, but rather a plastic or styrofoam container of some sort. Maybe even a white paper bag. The sandwiches were still put together by a professional company, and professional companies don't use brown paper bags, because that's what kids take to school.

Except they don't, really. Kids take fun colorful lunchboxes. By the time they are too cool for awesome lunchboxes, and might in theory want it in a nondescript paper bag instead, they are just buying their lunch from Taco Bell or whoever else has contracted to sell fast food on campus.

ZenGum 07-06-2012 04:51 AM

Gold star thread drift, there!

If Andy Griffiths was secretly Muslim, maybe he was also secretly Barack Obama!

kerosene 07-06-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 818689)
Kind of. There's some overlap depending on the context. If I say, "I brought a sack lunch," chances are good I do mean that it is in one of those ubiquitous brown paper bags. If it's in a lunchbox, I would just say, "I brought my lunch."

However, if I am attending a conference, for example, the flyer may say "Lunch will be provided," which likely means a serve-yourself low-cost catered spread, anything from salads and soups, to barbecue, to pizza. But if it says "A sack lunch will be provided," it means premade sandwiches packaged up in bundles with a cookie and a bag of chips (crisps,) or somesuch. You might get to choose between the ham sandwich bundle or the turkey sandwich bundle, but there won't be a lot of variety. Notably, in this case the sack lunch will almost certainly not be in a brown paper bag, but rather a plastic or styrofoam container of some sort. Maybe even a white paper bag. The sandwiches were still put together by a professional company, and professional companies don't use brown paper bags, because that's what kids take to school.

Except they don't, really. Kids take fun colorful lunchboxes. By the time they are too cool for awesome lunchboxes, and might in theory want it in a nondescript paper bag instead, they are just buying their lunch from Taco Bell or whoever else has contracted to sell fast food on campus.

I use to be so jealous of those kids with the nice plastic lunch boxes with a matching thermos. I had this old metal one with Rainbow Brite on it or some such.

Places I have worked we actually did get brown sack lunches for "brown bag meetings." I think it just depends on the caterer.

DanaC 07-06-2012 05:57 PM

Excellent explanation! Thankyou.

I fucking love the cellar. It's an education.

xoxoxoBruce 07-06-2012 06:09 PM

If Andy was secretly a Muslim, or Jew, so what? The only thing that matters is he apparently wasn't a dick. Now back to the regularly scheduled humor and drift. ;)

Clodfobble 07-06-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene
I use to be so jealous of those kids with the nice plastic lunch boxes with a matching thermos. I had this old metal one with Rainbow Brite on it or some such.

From kinder to second, I went to a private school where bringing your own lunch wasn't an option (nobody had food allergies back then,) and they would physically make everyone take a bite of nasty-ass overcooked spinach when it was served.

From 3rd to 6th, I went to a public school that had this rule that you could not buy more than one chocolate milk carton. So I had my mom send an empty bottle in my soft-sided lunchbox, and I would buy one chocolate and one white milk and mix them together so that I had twice as much chocolate milk.

Once I got to junior high they offered random crap beyond the balanced tray meals, like Frito pie and chocolate chip cookies. So I ate that every single day for 3 years, until my friends were old enough to drive and we would go off-campus.

Flint 07-07-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 818499)
I don't understand this thread. Is there something important going on?

Oh God, you just encapsulated my entire Cellar experience in that post.

That's exactly how it feels when I don't have time to come around often enough to keep up with things.

kerosene 07-10-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 818826)
From kinder to second, I went to a private school where bringing your own lunch wasn't an option (nobody had food allergies back then,) and they would physically make everyone take a bite of nasty-ass overcooked spinach when it was served.

From 3rd to 6th, I went to a public school that had this rule that you could not buy more than one chocolate milk carton. So I had my mom send an empty bottle in my soft-sided lunchbox, and I would buy one chocolate and one white milk and mix them together so that I had twice as much chocolate milk.

Once I got to junior high they offered random crap beyond the balanced tray meals, like Frito pie and chocolate chip cookies. So I ate that every single day for 3 years, until my friends were old enough to drive and we would go off-campus.

School cafeteria food was abysmal in all 6 of the elementary schools I went to...except for the first one where my aunt was the cook for some 30 kids from K-6. Food there was good. Jr. High got significantly better...I bought funyuns and blue slushie every day until I had the flu one day and I haven't had funyuns or blue slushie since.

SamIam 07-10-2012 04:01 PM

My only question is was he a Shite or a Sunni?

wolf 07-11-2012 12:29 PM

Bags on the East Coast, Sacks in the Midwest. Not sure what they are in the actual West.

Then there's the whole Lunch Box/Pail/Bucket conundrum.

Mine was always a Lunch Box. With Batman, Green Hornet, the Monkees, Apollo Program (I think, or maybe my friend had that one), and the "new" US Mail logo when that came out in the early 1970s.

Wow. Leads me to wonder if I have any old me with a lunchbox pics? I'll have to take a look.

My current lunchbox is HelloKitty, which should not come as a surprise to anyone. My alternate lunchbox is an LLBean one, with an embroidered moose. The design was discontinued. :(