The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where'm I gonna live? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28025)

Undertoad 09-12-2012 07:45 AM

Where'm I gonna live?

Any area Dwellars need a roomie?

Including a 13 pound dog that will occasionally pee on the carpet?

My credit score is 25. Is that bad? But my mama's score is 500,000 and she'll co-sign... sometimes that will work for people...

All I need is a little cottage house in an area where I won't get killed. (And has high speed Internets) But all the official realtor listings under $900 are in areas where I will get killed. Should I get a teeny bit more spendy, to get into a place where the co-sign works? And then I'm in a plain brick building? Where it's hard to get the dog out every two hours? Will that be depressing? It's impossible to know.

Trilby 09-12-2012 07:52 AM

You can come here. I have a three bedroom house with a full basement where you can jam. No garage, though, sorry.

totally. Move to Ohio. It's the Buckeye State!

rent here is ridiculously inexpensive (coz, you know, ohio sucks) and we have a lively local music scene. we really do! and Lexus Nexus. And Wright Pat AFB.

I'd let you live here for half the utilities and 200.00/month so long as you helped me with my computer issues (which are vast and many)

Trilby 09-12-2012 07:53 AM

Oh, I have a fenced in yard, too. you can google street my house.

footfootfoot 09-12-2012 08:06 AM

Not to mention her mad bj skilz
:bolt:

Undertoad 09-12-2012 08:09 AM

Gotta make the drive to Pottstown every week to rehearse though.

What's the line from As Good As It Gets... I think it's... "I'd be the luckiest man in the world if that would do it for me."

Trilby 09-12-2012 08:09 AM

(said with a slight British accent)

Oh, very nice, Mr. Footfootfoot. I make a generous, plausible offer and you, you scoundrel, MOCK it! In a very offensive way towards my own person! A pox upon you!

(end British accent)

Trilby 09-12-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 829905)
Gotta make the drive to Pottstown every week to rehearse though.

What's the line from As Good As It Gets... I think it's... "I'd be the luckiest man in the world if that would do it for me."

Oh, so no Ohio, then?

Actually, I don't blame you. It does sorta suck here. except for the cost of living.

Undertoad 09-12-2012 08:21 AM

Pottstown. And a bunch of clients who sometimes like to see me. Otherwise I would move anywhere.

BrianR 09-12-2012 10:02 AM

/me silently withdraws her unseen offer.

jimhelm 09-12-2012 10:24 AM

Im on the verge of getting an apartment near cherry hill. I figure I will end yup with rent of $900 or there abouts. I just want to wait about a month to see what changes the new boss makes to my pay plan...

footfootfoot 09-12-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilby (Post 829908)
Oh, so no Ohio, then?

Actually, I don't blame you. It does sorta suck here. except for the cost of living.

See? You are the one who keeps bringing it up!

wolf 09-12-2012 03:26 PM

I don't have room for a roommate, despite my love for a dog that occasionally pees on the carpet. My apartment building, however, does have one bedroom units available, I think for about what you are willing to pay. And, if you lease from my recommendation, I get a chunk of money off my rent.

monster 09-12-2012 03:30 PM

Here?

Undertoad 09-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 829924)
Im on the verge of getting an apartment near cherry hill. I figure I will end yup with rent of $900 or there abouts. I just want to wait about a month to see what changes the new boss makes to my pay plan...

I got about a month and a half to figure this out... if I matched your money imagine the place we could get. 1 year lease think about it

jimhelm 09-12-2012 04:45 PM

Yeah, if youre willing to live in nj.... We could probably get a really nice 2br for like $1500. I want a place to park my motorcycle and in unit laundry......

The timing might just work.

monster 09-12-2012 05:11 PM

What about the turtle?

limey 09-12-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 830029)
What about the turtle?

Doesn't he have his own house?

Spexxvet 09-12-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 830028)
Yeah, if youre willing to live in nj.... We could probably get a really nice 2br for like $1500. I want a place to park my motorcycle and in unit laundry......

The timing might just work.

For that money, you could rent a whole block in Camden, but you'd have to build a wall around it to keep from getting killed.

You can rent a 3 bed, 1 bath, with garage, house in Maple Shade for $1600.
http://www.homes.com/rentals/NJ/City/MAPLE%20SHADE/

Undertoad 09-12-2012 07:59 PM

The problem is still my credit though. The lessor will probably want to run the credit of all people living there, and I don't want to fuck up your situation with your hunt for stuff... (I would never do that money-wise; I would always be able to make rent)

Undertoad 09-12-2012 08:25 PM

But ha haaa, check out this place and where it's located.

Good God DAMN, private entrances, full bath on the first floor AND full bath on the second floor, and you could walk to work, and both of us could even take in women-folk what with the privacy and it would be all copasetic.

http://www.homes.com/listing/photo/1...SHADE_NJ_08052

Undertoad 09-12-2012 08:29 PM

Good God DAMN there are ZERO human neighbors at that house. Public Storage, MAACO and Auto Max are the neighbors for this house.

Stormieweather 09-12-2012 09:17 PM

Cool house! Only problem I see is that it is also for sale. Means potential for one year max before you have to leave. It takes me that long just to get settled in!

Ugh.

jimhelm 09-12-2012 11:34 PM

Yeah, well.... my credit is wrecked too. but I figure there are ways and ways of getting things done... cool house... I just can't do anything until I know if I still want to work in cherry hill.

Trilby 09-13-2012 06:17 AM

that is a really cool house. AND if it's the last house on the left --- think of the possibilities!!

;)

PS My own house is the last house on the left so I know of what I speak.

Big Sarge 09-13-2012 07:20 AM

You are all welcome to live with me. No rent, but it would be a long commute

footfootfoot 09-13-2012 11:10 AM

...Living in a VAN down by the river... [/Matt Foley]

eta: UT, not BS

BrianR 09-13-2012 11:35 AM

In 2014, I am planning to rent out my house and move to a nicer and larger place.

It is a single dwelling, with a fenced in yard, no close neighbors, nice yard, [will be] landscaped and utilities are fairly cheap. City water and sewer. Downsides, it gets HOT here, long way to to go Pottstown, and you will have to go outside with the dog because if you leave it outside, the hawks might take him away.

Gravdigr 09-13-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 830029)
What about the turtle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 830032)
Doesn't he have his own house?

Limey for the win!

Gravdigr 09-13-2012 11:40 AM

$1500 will get you you a damn nice pad in my neck of the woods.

'Course, you'll be in the woods...

limey 09-13-2012 12:35 PM

Thanks, Grav!

Sent by thought transference

infinite monkey 09-14-2012 10:03 AM

I think the time has come to further research the idea of a Cellar Commune.

Not some crazy drinkin' poison kind of commune, just a group of self-sufficient people who live on the same land and contribute their talents for the good of the community.

Those who can build, build. Those who can farm, farm. Those who can cook, cook. I volunteer to keep the books. Well, sure, I'd run the library but I'm also talking about the ledgers and stuff. I suppose we'll be able to sell some of produce and craftery to get needed items for the ranch.

I say no kids allowed. I like kids, sure, but this isn't that kind of commune. If you want that kind you can start one up or become a Mormon. I'm really only interested in non-breeding adults who have been downsized and outsized and undersized and oversized, who are sick of the rat race, who refuse to shuck and jive for the boss man.

Of course, we'll be off the grid but not completely: I for one would want interwebz.

It's just a rough sketch.

BrianR 09-14-2012 10:56 AM

There is plenty of land out thisaway.

I know of one that is planned already. Not Cellar-specific, but still.

There is also a trans-specific thingie in the planning stages. I am watching that project, but I don't have a lot of hope. It requires investment and money is something that transpeople are chronically short of.

Spexxvet 09-14-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 830263)
I think the time has come to further research the idea of a Cellar Commune.

Not some crazy drinkin' poison kind of commune, just a group of self-sufficient people who live on the same land and contribute their talents for the good of the community.

Those who can build, build. Those who can farm, farm. Those who can cook, cook. I volunteer to keep the books. Well, sure, I'd run the library but I'm also talking about the ledgers and stuff. I suppose we'll be able to sell some of produce and craftery to get needed items for the ranch.

I say no kids allowed. I like kids, sure, but this isn't that kind of commune. If you want that kind you can start one up or become a Mormon. I'm really only interested in non-breeding adults who have been downsized and outsized and undersized and oversized, who are sick of the rat race, who refuse to shuck and jive for the boss man.

Of course, we'll be off the grid but not completely: I for one would want interwebz.

It's just a rough sketch.

It's communism, I tellz ya!

Big Sarge 09-14-2012 11:18 AM

Well, I tried to get all of you to move down to the old sewage lagoon, but nooo....

footfootfoot 09-14-2012 01:38 PM

...Living in a VAN down by the old sewage lagoon... [/Matt Foley]

infinite monkey 09-14-2012 01:56 PM

With jokes like that you'll never get into MonkeyCom. :rolleyes:

Big Sarge 09-14-2012 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I'm staying right now. Plenty of room for all.

sexobon 09-14-2012 04:42 PM

Oh man, you're living it up! All I ever got was the poncho hooch I carried in my pack.

Big Sarge 09-15-2012 07:38 AM

I admit it isn't bad. My guys take care of me

Sundae 09-15-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 830263)
I say no kids allowed. I like kids, sure, but this isn't that kind of commune.

I'd be the looker-afterer if you allowed kids. Maybe even the edjumacator.
'Side from that I can cook.

Can't clean worth a damn though, so don't believe me at the interview.
Can sing, but not harmonise.
Don't deal well with conflict.
Can live without TV but need books.
Will not eat bananas or peanuts. Well, perhaps if I am literally starving, but funnily enough I've never experienced that.
Cannot be trusted with the keys to the liquor cupboard.

Am I still being considered?

PS - Sarge, that looks cosy.

Trilby 09-16-2012 06:17 AM

So. Where are you gonna live?

For reals?

Undertoad 09-16-2012 09:34 AM

I DON'T KNOW

jimhelm 09-16-2012 10:57 AM

Can you stay with mom until you figure it out?

Undertoad 09-16-2012 11:21 AM

Worst case scenario. There will be other, better options such as living in North Philly where I'm more likely to survive.

limey 09-16-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 830497)
I DON'T KNOW

[hugs]

Griff 09-16-2012 12:55 PM

Sorry dude, don't let it eat you up. You'll figure it out.

Big Sarge 09-16-2012 12:56 PM

Not joking - consider buying a used camper (they can go really cheap) and move into a state park or other campgrounds. Rates are discounted during the winter. In fact, the Army Corps of Engineers hires campground hosts. Many campgrounds have wifi.

Undertoad 09-16-2012 04:31 PM

It's not that bad yet. I just have to work at it and the time to actually call places is not nigh. I'm aiming for a Nov. 1 move-in date but it's strange -- with the short sale, I don't have to leave the house until the bank actually decides to accept it. This averages three months and so I could play chicken and wait until Dec. 1 to get out. But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)

What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.

Trilby 09-16-2012 04:35 PM

I wish I could do something tangible to help you.
I feel your anxiety Toad. Hugs.

glatt 09-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 830541)
What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.

Freecycle it.

Mentally ill people will take it and hoard it. Whatever it is.

Just depends on what your time is worth, dealing with them.

Clodfobble 09-16-2012 04:54 PM

Freecycle is awesome, and sad, but awesome.

Undertoad 09-16-2012 05:24 PM

It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.

monster 09-16-2012 05:34 PM

people will take it

monster 09-16-2012 05:35 PM

especially if you put it on the curb with a sign that says "not free, please do not take, waiting for pick-up"

Clodfobble 09-16-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.

People will take everything except your paperwork. Maybe even that too, but you probably don't want mentally ill people to have it. A free waterbed? You're not thinking like a hoarder; you will have a dozen people bidding over who can come pick it up the soonest.

I gave away giant piles of rotted fencing and broken rocks. One old lady talked about how she was going to "build a doghouse" out of the fencing, and another was going to "make a path" in her garden. It was fucking construction debris!

Undertoad 09-16-2012 07:18 PM

It's only the frame of the waterbed

infinite monkey 09-16-2012 07:39 PM

Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those. :lol:

Spexxvet 09-17-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 830567)
People will take everything except your paperwork.

Just burn the paperwork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 830578)
Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those. :lol:

Styrofoam peanuts!

Spexxvet 09-17-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

... But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)

Have you looked at trailer parks? DO you qualify for section 8 housing?

Quote:

We just moved Mom out of her house and had to do the same thing, but is was 2 households of "stuff" accumulated over 60 years. There was a house in the area that always had something on the front lawn with a handmade "for sale" sign on it. Mom knocked on their door and told them they could have anything they wanted from her house, for free, if they took it all. They took it all.

Lamplighter 09-17-2012 08:46 AM

Styrofoam peanuts + H20 + sand + sunlight ===> NEW life on earth :worm: