The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Three True, One False - aka Glatt's Game (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21106)

Sundae 09-28-2009 09:43 AM

Three True, One False - aka Glatt's Game

Okay.
Glatt's Game - too good not to share.
List three true things that happened today and one false.
Correct answer gets the next go.

I start, because although this is Glatt's game it is my thread.
I start lamely, because I only discovered this game after I told the Cellar just about every damn thing that happened to me today anyway! But it strikes me as a good game - the sort I used to play with my friends all the time.

- I caught Diz trying to get the lid off Mum's cast iron casserole dish - which weighs more than him - in order to get hold of the cooling stewing steak for dinner

- Despite good intentions to the contrary I ate a packet of pork scratchings after I finished lunch

- I bought the Torchwood Encyclopedia

- I bought my niece a gift card for the lingerie store in town for her 15th birthday on Wednesday

glatt 09-28-2009 10:03 AM

I'll play!

I think the cat trying to get the pot lid off is false.

And since the object of this game is to spark conversation, let me comment of the pork scratchings. Why are they called scratchings? What a weird name. At least pork rinds tells you it's the rind of the pig.

TheMercenary 09-28-2009 10:08 AM

I say the false statement is:

I bought my niece a gift card for the lingerie store in town for her 15th birthday on Wednesday

limey 09-28-2009 10:12 AM

I claim the porkie scratchings! You didn't eat them, SG, you'd have had to go and buy them specially, I can't imagine they're the sort of things your parents have lying around beggin' to be eated!

Sundae 09-28-2009 10:32 AM

I figure I'll wait for a full house before informing the winner

smoothmoniker 09-28-2009 10:38 AM

I'll take the Torchwood Encyclopedia

kerosene 09-28-2009 10:54 AM

I am with Merc on this one.

Sundae 09-28-2009 10:54 AM

Smooth wins!

Diz is not a scavenger usually, but he is an opportunist and curious as hell. Mum left the casserole dish on a mat on the table because she knew it was safe - neither of us expected Diz to attempt anything, given that he knows the table is out of bounds and very rarely breaches it. The filling will be in a pie tonight - quite safe.

The 'rents discovered that the local supermarket sell multi packs of pork scratchings. Same size as you get in a pub. I've never succumbed before, but today was obviously a day for salty, fatty, porky goodness. I am ashamed.

I pre-ordered the Torchwood Enc. My card was declined. They have some weird system where they place a "phantom" charge on your card, which is refunded later. Because I have a pre-pay card, the phantom charge reduced my balance to below the amount of the invoice, so it was rejected. I called customer services, they said they would sort it out, it's happened again. So I didn't buy it.

The lingerie store in town also sells cotton briefs, pyjama sets, cotton night shirts, standard bras etc. Once a week Abs is allowed to detour on the way home and go into town (I'd call it a mall if it wasn't so laughably small.) I bought her a gift card last year as well - it's up to her and her parents' guidance what she buys after all. It's not like it's for Ann Summers.

Apols for it being a bit of a trick question, as I say - I'd already said a lot about my day beforehand. Smooth is the winner! And I need to call play.com again (grrrrrr)

glatt 09-28-2009 11:03 AM

trick questions are part of the fun.

capnhowdy 09-28-2009 08:59 PM

OK, Smooth. Bring it on.

smoothmoniker 09-28-2009 11:56 PM

- The artists I've played keyboards for have sold a combined total of over 30 million albums.

- I was adopted at birth, and raised by wolves. Well, not wolves exactly, but fundamentalists.

- I can read 7 languages, but only speak 3.

- I once drank 16 alcoholic beverage in an evening (Vegas), and awoke the next morning with no hangover, nothing, zip, nada. The liver of the Irish, that's what I've got.

OK, hit me with your best guess (3 true, one false), and give your reason why. Feel free to be personally abusive in your comments.

limey 09-29-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker (Post 598011)
- The artists I've played keyboards for have sold a combined total of over 30 million albums.

- I was adopted at birth, and raised by wolves. Well, not wolves exactly, but fundamentalists.

- I once drank 16 alcoholic beverage in an evening (Vegas), and awoke the next morning with no hangover, nothing, zip, nada. The liver of the Irish, that's what I've got.

OK, hit me with your best guess (3 true, one false), and give your reason why. Feel free to be personally abusive in your comments.

I'll take the languages as false. As a musician your ear is good and you'll be OK speaking any language you car to put your mind to. If you've put your mind to reading it, you'll also be able to speak it.

Sundae 09-29-2009 05:59 AM

I cry false. I think it was more :)

monster 09-29-2009 06:36 AM

I'll call the wolves/fundies just because I can. I think they adopted you as a spotty teenager.

Shawnee123 09-29-2009 07:18 AM

Then I'll take number of albums...probably more like 100 million?

smoothmoniker 09-29-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker (Post 598011)

True. Melissa Etheridge and Nelly Furtado make up the lion's share of that.

Quote:

True. Not only are they fundamentalists, they embrace the label. Well, my mom does at least.

Quote:

FALSE! I can read 3 (English, Spanish, Old Dead Greek) and only speak 2 (English, Spanish)

Quote:

So true. Ah, good times.

Quote:

Feel free to be personally abusive in your comments.
I'm very disappointed by the quality of personal abuse received in the replies. You can do better, people!

TheMercenary 09-29-2009 11:13 AM

oops, I missed it.

glatt 09-29-2009 12:24 PM

limey, you're up.

Shawnee123 09-29-2009 12:31 PM

I'm glad I didn't win: I can't think of 3 true things interesting enough about me and I suck at lying about myself so there goes the 4th.

limey 09-29-2009 01:13 PM

When I took up the French Horn I had no idea what it looked like and only chose it because I guessed it must be smaller than the other instrument on offer, the double bass.

I took part in a cycle ride around Arran to raise money for the local brass band, and was thrilled to complete the 60-mile circuit in less than 5 hours.

Although I lived in a student house at uni, and did share a flat with a person in my early twenties, I never co-habited with anyone until I was 42.

I spent four full, enjoyable and happy years as a member of the Girl Guides and didn’t earn a single badge throughout that time.

Do your worst, folks!

Sundae 09-29-2009 01:41 PM

Bloody hell.
Grateful as I am to have all options open to me, it's frustrating to have them all sound so likely!

I'd be tempted by the Guides one, as the badges are easy and you strike me as an achiever, but then why would you mention it if it wasn't true? I can think of more amusing falsehoods.

So I'm gonna go with the cycle ride. Either you worked as a steward, or you did it in less than 5 hours.

glatt 09-29-2009 01:43 PM

If you're not going to take it, then I will. No way is that Girl Guides one true.

The Girl Guides one is false.

Pie 09-29-2009 03:03 PM

I'll take the French Horn for $200, Alex.

monster 09-29-2009 03:06 PM

hmm well I think the guides too, but I'll take the biking to be a sport. Maybe it was 61 miles?

limey 09-29-2009 03:10 PM

Monster, dear, I think SG beat you to the bike ride!

Sundae 09-29-2009 03:24 PM

I'll let Monnie ride along. We share the shame if'n we're wrong, and she'll probably have some bizarre options if'n we're right :)

monster 09-29-2009 03:34 PM

Oh sorry was distracted mid post. I know it's not the co-habit thing but i guess that's mine for the taking. I'm guessing if it's false then you never even shared uni housing. Not that i wouldn't love sharing with Sundae but it's all about the game.....

limey 09-29-2009 03:55 PM

Well .... folks ... somewhere on the Cellar I'm pretty sure I posted the admission that I cannot ride a bike. Nope. Never learnt. Last time I tried was when I was thirtysomething and I got embarrassed by all the little kids in the park doing wheelies around me as I continually wobbled and fell to one or other side ...
I wanted to play flute but my parents couldn't afford lessons and the school was offering free lessons in the instruments needed for the school orchestra, so I chose the French Horn without any idea of what it actually looked like.
I never did take a badge as a Girl Guide - I don't know why I was let to get away with it, but there it is!
And, well, until Best Beloved moved here I had never co-habited with a partner, despite the two instances of sharing mentioned here.
SG is the WINNAH (unless she wants to share with Monster).
Next ...

capnhowdy 09-29-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

I can read 7 languages, but only speak 3.
False

monster 09-29-2009 09:35 PM

OK, I'll go. family themed tonight, so about everyone but me (saving those for later ;) ):

My 7-year-old can solve simultaneous equations
My 10-year-old built a firing gun out of lego
My 11-year old has one blue eye and one brown eye
My 38-year-old has a suspicious bruise on his neck

Pie 09-29-2009 10:52 PM

I'll go with the seven-year-old.

(I'm also pretty sure you had something to do with that bruise!)

Clodfobble 09-30-2009 12:31 AM

Hmm... I'm going with the 38-year-old with a suspicious bruise. Monnie knows how to hide her work.

smoothmoniker 09-30-2009 02:46 AM

My 11-year old has one blue eye and one brown eye

False.

Everybody has at least one brown eye (heh heh), but I don't believe that she has only one blue eye.

Sundae 09-30-2009 03:46 AM

Which leaves me with the firing gun made of Lego.
Not my first choice, but that's what you get for being late to the party. Leftovers.

I do remember something about Hebe's eyes, but I'm not sure it was one brown and one blue. So that's the one I would have gone for given my druthers.

Shawnee123 09-30-2009 07:39 AM

No, Thor thinks X = 7. Always.

Number one.

edit: Oh, Pie picked it already so if it's right she won, but I just wanted to guess. :blush:

Clodfobble 09-30-2009 07:53 AM

Yeah for the record, that was my first guess too, but Pie already picked it. :)

monster 09-30-2009 04:20 PM

Ok we all done.

It was the 11yo -she has one brown and one green eye :lol:

smoothmoniker 09-30-2009 05:10 PM

Huzzah! I win again! I'll post my new 3+1 a little later tonight.

lumberjim 09-30-2009 05:35 PM

make sure you use "I used the word 'Huzzah!' in a sentence today." No one will believe that shit.

smoothmoniker 10-01-2009 12:05 AM

Tonight I am snacking on a plate of cheese and crackers.

Tonight I am finishing up a choral composition based on the poetry of Sappho.

Tonight I am drinking my way through a very nice $3 bottle of wine.

Tonight I am watching last night's episode of "Melrose Place".

limey 10-01-2009 03:46 AM

I'll take the wine - you're not that cheap, Smooth! (I am though, where'dya gettit?!)

Sundae 10-01-2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

I don't know what this is. Therefore it's easier to believe you aren't watching it. Works in my head anyway.

Pie 10-01-2009 07:51 AM

(I thought I won?)

glatt 10-01-2009 08:20 AM

You did. That $3 wine is killing smooth's brain cells.

Shawnee123 10-01-2009 08:24 AM

Huh?

Pie, didn't you pick "the 7 year old?" And the answer was "the 11 year old"?

glatt 10-01-2009 08:27 AM

Oh. Yeah. Never mind.

Pie 10-01-2009 08:31 AM

Oh. SOmehow, I was taking Shaw's assurance over Monnie's! Haggis.

Shawnee123 10-01-2009 08:33 AM

I FELT so sure! D'oh!

monster 10-01-2009 09:39 AM

heehee that's 'cause my lie was also a clever half-truth :lol:

monster 10-01-2009 09:44 AM

oh! re the Thor knows X=7, well i went to quiz him on it, and he said oh It's 7 mostly. Sometimes. So I make up a simple equation like X+ 3 = 5 and he got it straight away, so i did a few more.... so then I said OK, smarty-pants, try these:
X + Y = 5
X * Y = 6
and he solved it straight away. (X= 2, Y=3, not sure what would have happened if I'd asked if X can be 3....) so we got a bit more complex.... up to X + Y = 13, X * Y = 42 which he got right after a couple of trial X's because he couldn't remember what times what was 42 other than 2 * 21... I was pretty impressed given that he hadn't encountered that type of problem before.

Shawnee123 10-01-2009 09:48 AM

Wow.

I'm telling you, he and my 7 year old niece...

They got interim reports and she got her normal straight As.

Plus she's a cutie! :)

limey 10-01-2009 10:08 AM

I'm confused. Who's it?

Shawnee123 10-01-2009 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There itt is!

monster 10-01-2009 10:27 AM

smooth is it.

monster 10-01-2009 10:28 AM

I'll take the composition for the win..... now who's crackers?

glatt 10-01-2009 11:28 AM

I'll be crackers. But he's eating them with the cheap wine, so I won't win.

monster 10-01-2009 11:49 AM

OK smooth, hurry up and finish that choral composition based on the poetry of Groucho Marx and announce me the winner!

smoothmoniker 10-01-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker (Post 598558)
Tonight I am snacking on a plate of cheese and crackers.

false - tonight I am snacking on wine and more wine

Quote:

True. I am entering a young (ha!) composer's competition sponsored by Pacific Chorale, so I'm racing to finish the piece and the demo by today!

Quote:

Tonight I am drinking my way through a very nice $3 bottle of wine.
True! There's a local market here that sells a cheap bottle of Sangiovese, and it's quite lovely.

Quote:

Alas, true. It is an awful, awful television show, with horrible writing and even worse acting, but one of the artists I play for had a song placed in this week's episode, so I had to give it the obligatory viewing.

It was just as awful as I had imagined it would be.

Shawnee123 10-01-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True. I am entering a young (ha!) composer's competition sponsored by Pacific Chorale, so I'm racing to finish the piece and the demo by today!
See how two dimensional images can fool the eye? I never would have guessed you were a young lesbian!

glatt 10-01-2009 12:39 PM

I won! I won glatt's game!

Ok. I can't really say anything about today, because nothing much has happened today. So I'm going to expand it to this past week.

This past week, I:

1. Had my rubber gloved hand up to my elbow in the sewer pipe under our toilet removing a foreign object from the pipe.

2. I saw a guy on my 7:30 AM Metro train commute drinking from a large can of malt liquor.

3. I interviewed an attractive 20 something woman for a position requiring Norwegian language skills.

4. I made a Swedish Fish costume with my daughter out of carpet padding and red spray paint.