The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Celebrity death that bummed you out the most... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7716)

Beestie 02-08-2005 07:44 AM

Celebrity death that bummed you out the most...

1 Attachment(s)
There have been a few celebrity passings that bummed me out but I got over them quickly. The one that really bummed me out and still does from time to time - especially when I see one of his old movies or SCTV reruns is John Candy.

He was one of my all-time favorites and I wish he were still around to make me laugh. Here's a shot of John from the early days of SCTV in one of my favorite skits as the obsessive-compulsive maitre'd, Johhny LaRue.

I bet they are laughing their asses off in heaven. Oh, wait, people in heaven don't have asses. Never mind.

Which celebrity do you wish were still around to entertain you or make you feel good in some other way?

Undertoad 02-08-2005 07:50 AM

Bill Hicks, who is making hell competitive with heaven.

And to a lesser extent Sam Kinison, who seemed like he had burned himself out anyway.

Happy Monkey 02-08-2005 07:55 AM

Douglas Adams

glatt 02-08-2005 08:07 AM

Frank Sinatra.

Heh. Just kidding.

I was really bummed out when I heard Phil Hartman died. It was such a surprise, and he was so talented.

melidasaur 02-08-2005 08:37 AM

1. Mr. Rogers
2. Jerry Orbach

garnet 02-08-2005 08:39 AM

Chris Farley and Johnny Carson

Clodfobble 02-08-2005 09:14 AM

I second Phil Hartman. I can't even count the number of times I've been watching a movie and though, "Phil Hartman would have done that better."

404Error 02-08-2005 09:20 AM

1. Janis Joplin
2. Jimmy Hendrix
3. Jim Croce

Elspode 02-08-2005 09:34 AM

1. Jim Belushi
2. John Lennon
3. John Entwistle
4. Keith Moon

jinx 02-08-2005 09:53 AM

1. Jerry Garcia - I cried. A lot. Not just becuase he died but because he was alone when it happened and that just didn't seem right to me. I wish someone had been there for him. :(
2. Brent Mydland
3. Phil Hartman
4. Chris Farley

wolf 02-08-2005 09:59 AM

I think everybody else gave my choices ... I'll have to think on this for a while.

Oh.

Harry Chapin.

warch 02-08-2005 10:04 AM

Madeline Kahn and Gilda Radner...same culprit.

garnet 02-08-2005 10:07 AM

And Kurt Cobain. He was my hero during my grunge phase.

Silent 02-08-2005 10:11 AM

1. Graham Chapman
2. Douglas Adams

elf 02-08-2005 10:12 AM

I don't know about which one do I wish were still here to entertain me, but the most traumatic one was John Lennon. I was just a little kid at the time, but my mother fell to pieces, and I reacted by hiding in the closet for a couple of hours. Stayed home from school that day because Mom couldn't pull herself together in time to get us on the bus.

Yeah, she had some issues.

mrnoodle 02-08-2005 11:38 AM

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan - I went home sick from work that morning because of it.
2. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, who got shot onstage a couple weeks ago. Double bummed me just because fans can be so sick and it ruins it for everyone. Why can't rock stars just O.D. like they used to? What's with the violence?
3. Ray Gillen, a tremendous rock singer who did stints with Deep Purple and Sabbath, but is best known from being in 80's hard rock act Badlands. Died of AIDS, really sad situation.
4. Jonathan Brandis (sp?). Remember SeaQuest DSV? I was looking at Roy Scheider's entry on IMDB.com for something completely unrelated and suddenly remembered that show. Click click click, suddenly I find that the kid who played the son committed suicide a few years back. Apparently couldn't adjust to life after child stardom. Don't know why it made me so sad that day, but it did.

Phil Hartman and John Candy, too.

Hey Elpsode, it was John Belushi, right? Jim hasn't croaked has he?

Elspode 02-08-2005 11:40 AM

Yes...duh. I had Jim on the brain because I was considering Jimi Hendrix, but figured it was redundant.

Wolf - good call on Harry.

Radar 02-08-2005 11:59 AM

Rodney Dangerfield
Chris Farley
Ray Charles
Sam Kinnison
Madeline Kahn

glatt 02-08-2005 12:17 PM

After reading through the rest of the posts, I'd have to agree with John Lennon. That one really bummed me out at the time.

I also miss John Candy, but wasn't sad when he died. If that makes sense.

A lot of these guy lived hard before they died, and their deaths weren't such a shock. Also, when someone old dies, it's not unexpected.

John Lennon and Phil Hartman did not live gangster lives. They were both still in their prime. They were healthy. Even Lennon had cut back on the drugs. They were both a shock.

I was sad when Mr. Rogers died too, but he was getting old. He was a decent man, and as much as people liked to joke about him, he really made the world a better place.

OnyxCougar 02-08-2005 12:35 PM

Gilda Radner

limey 02-08-2005 03:04 PM

John Peel.

Trilby 02-08-2005 03:25 PM

I was bummed when Captain Kangaroo died.

Ditto Graham Chapman, John Candy, Gilda, Madeline and Phil. They all were incredible talents.

kerosene 02-08-2005 05:22 PM

George Harrison
Johnny Cash
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley

bluesdave 02-08-2005 05:31 PM

John Wayne

Griff 02-08-2005 07:41 PM

You guys got mine.
1) SRV
2) Candy
3) Farley

xoxoxoBruce 02-08-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
Which celebrity do you wish were still around to entertain you or make you feel good in some other way?

A - Marilyn Monroe
B - in some other way
:elkgrin:

lookout123 02-08-2005 08:44 PM

Walter Payton
Chris Farley
John Candy

We used to see Farley and Candy in social settings in Chicago all the time. Farley was a really quiet guy when it was just you and him. down to earth, almost shy. but when the 3rd person got on the elevator, the SNL characters took over.

melidasaur 02-08-2005 08:51 PM

Phil Hartman... I was deeply saddened by his death. He was so funny. I loved him on SNL and News Radio.

zippyt 02-08-2005 08:58 PM

Lennon shook me up
Belushi , well that was no real suprise , but still a tragic loss
SRV mess me up for a week or so , he was JUST getting his shit togather

The older folks ,like Senatra , Carson, Hope , Mr. Rodgers , they all had a good run , left lasting memorys for MANY folks , Sad they died but we are ALL worm dirt one day .

404Error 02-08-2005 10:51 PM

Freddie Mercury - I think Queen would still be cranking out great stuff he if were still around.

Silent 02-09-2005 08:46 AM

I almost forgot: Gregory Hines

mrnoodle 02-09-2005 08:56 AM

now that I sit and think about it (read: go to one of those celebrity death websites), there are a lot of people from my childhood who passed last year. Isabel Sanford, Julia Child, Tony Randall, Rodney Dangerfield,

there's more, but that's all my beleaguered short term memory can produce

mrnoodle 02-09-2005 03:27 PM

And now, the drummer from the Doobie Brothers.

The day is quickly approaching when the only living musicians will be Ashley Simpson and Keith Richards.

chainsaw 02-09-2005 05:32 PM

I was pretty sad when George Harrison died. But I think Ronald Regan was worse. The media probably had something to do with that.

lookout123 02-09-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsaw
I was pretty sad when George Harrison died. But I think Ronald Regan was worse. The media probably had something to do with that.

no, sadly, no - that was radar honoring Ronnie Raygun, by telling us of his desire to piss on the coffin, or was it spit? either way, it was a bodily function.

Trilby 02-09-2005 05:34 PM

Raul Julia. I loved him.

lookout123 02-09-2005 05:48 PM

did you love him... or did you love him? if we've got a celebrity shack up story, we need to hear it.

Trilby 02-09-2005 07:26 PM

Celebrity Shack-Up Stories is a good idea for a Thread... :cool:

Happy Monkey 02-09-2005 07:30 PM

I always felt sorry for Raul Julia that his last movie was "Street Fighter"...

Radar 02-09-2005 08:10 PM

Quote:

Wow, I was the exact opposite. George Harrison made the world a better place and Reagan did the opposite.

I was brokenhearted when Ray Charles died, but I almost wanted to throw a party when Reagan died. I seriously planned on going to Simi Valley and pissing on his grave. The drive isn't that far.

richlevy 02-11-2005 08:15 PM

Arthur Miller passed away today.

I have seen "Death of a Salesman" a few times. It is one of the most powerful plays I have ever seen. I can't think of any recent plays that have had the same kind of impact. It just seems that noone today writes like that.

DanaC 02-22-2005 10:30 AM

Was gutted when Bill Hicks died. I went to see him live in Manchester about 18 months before his death. The man was brilliant.

As to Arthur Miller.....Really really sad to see him come to his end. I loved all his plays and my most prized possession is an autographed copy of the Crucible

mrnoodle 02-22-2005 11:00 AM

Speaking of Hunter S. Thompson..........

wolf 02-22-2005 12:12 PM

I think he's going into my Bummed Me Out list for sure.

Although, in a way, it's a more fitting end than his dying quietly in bed.

archergirl 02-22-2005 01:10 PM

I was bummed when Princess Diana died. I think it was just so out of the blue that it made me realise how fleeting life can be. Also, she did so much for the less fortunate.

wolf 02-23-2005 01:24 AM

John Lennon.

Gus Grissom, Ed White, Roger Chaffee (all the space program deaths get me, but these most of all, because they were the first, and I was a kid that lived, ate, and breathed the Apollo program. I miss purple Tang).

Dunlavy 02-23-2005 08:21 AM

Graham Chapman... May he take his talents to death and back.

For those who don't know him, he was an actor for Monty Python.
Likely known in Holy Grail for his roles as:
King Arthur, God, middle head, and GUARD #2. ^_^

May the circus live on.

Elspode 02-23-2005 11:19 AM

My favorite Chapman part:

(Castle Guard) "Who's the other one?"

(Chapman) "I am...and this is my faithful squire, Patsy".

Beestie 02-23-2005 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and how could I forget Peter Sellers. :(

wolf 02-23-2005 01:29 PM

I think the young and tragic ends affect me more than the old and died in his sleep or after a long illness type ... yes, I was saddended by the passing of George Burns and Bob Hope, but they had long and productive careers ...

Lennon, Harrison ... those were sad (although "young" isn't technically correct in either case.)

I don't have as much feeling for the young(er) and stupid, though ... like River Phoenix, John Belushi, anyone who threw away career and life for the sake of recreational chemicals.

Sun_Sparkz 02-23-2005 08:51 PM

Slim Dusty - cuz he was like a guy you just treat like a mate in the street. A "one of us
" kind o guy.

Dunlavy 02-23-2005 10:49 PM

May chapman rest in piece...... *in rememberance of a Chapman, I pick up a little chapman model*

"He is no more! He has ceised to be!"

"Wink wink, nudge nudge, snap snap, say-no-more say-no-more"

"and now for something completely different"

Radar 02-23-2005 11:37 PM

Quote:

"He is no more! He has ceised to be!"
John Cleese

Quote:

"Wink wink, nudge nudge, snap snap, say-no-more say-no-more"
Eric Idle

Quote:

"and now for something completely different"
Michael Palin

None of your quotes were made by Graham Chapman.

Here's one of my favorite things Graham Chapman ever did...from The Meaning of Life.

Graham Chapman plays Harry Blackitt, and Eric Idle plays his wife Mrs. Blackitt.

========================
MR. HARRY BLACKITT: Look at them, bloody Catholics, filling the bloody world
up with bloody people they can't afford to bloody feed.

MRS. BLACKITT: What are we dear?

MR. BLACKITT: Protestant, and fiercely proud of it.

MRS. BLACKITT: Hmm. Well, why do they have so many children?

MR. BLACKITT: Because... every time they have sexual intercourse, they have
to have a baby.

MRS. BLACKITT: But it's the same with us, Harry.

MR. BLACKITT: What do you mean?

MRS. BLACKITT: Well, I mean, we've got two children, and we've had sexual
intercourse twice.

MR. BLACKITT: That's not the point. We could have it any time we wanted.

MRS. BLACKITT: Really?

MR. BLACKITT: Oh, yes, and, what's more, because we don't believe in all that
Papist claptrap, we can take precautions.

MRS. BLACKITT: What, you mean... lock the door?

MR. BLACKITT: No, no. I mean, because we are members of the Protestant
Reformed Church, which successfully challenged the autocratic power of the
Papacy in the mid-sixteenth century, we can wear little rubber devices to
prevent issue.

MRS. BLACKITT: What d'you mean?

MR. BLACKITT: I could, if I wanted, have sexual intercourse with you,...

MRS. BLACKITT: Oh, yes, Harry.

MR. BLACKITT: ...and, by wearing a rubber sheath over my old feller, I could
insure... that, when I came off, you would not be impregnated.

MRS. BLACKITT: Ooh!

MR. BLACKITT: That's what being a Protestant's all about. That's why it's
the church for me. That's why it's the church for anyone who respects
the individual and the individual's right to decide for him or herself.
When Martin Luther nailed his protest up to the church door in fifteen-
seventeen, he may not have realised the full significance of what he was
doing, but four hundred years later, thanks to him, my dear, I can wear
whatever I want on my John Thomas,... [sniff] ...and, Protestantism
doesn't stop at the simple condom! Oh, no! I can wear French Ticklers
if I want.

MRS. BLACKITT: You what?

MR. BLACKITT: French Ticklers. Black Mambos. Crocodile Ribs. Sheaths that
are designed not only to protect, but also to enhance the stimulation of
sexual congress.

MRS. BLACKITT: Have you got one?

MR. BLACKITT: Have I got one? Uh, well, no, but I can go down the road any
time I want and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high and say in a
loud, steady voice, 'Harry, I want you to sell me a condom. In fact,
today, I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant.'

MRS. BLACKITT: Well, why don't you?

MR. BLACKITT: But they-- Well, they cannot, 'cause their church never made
the great leap out of the Middle Ages and the domination of alien
episcopal supremacy.

NARRATOR #1: But, despite the attempts of Protestants to promote the idea of
sex for pleasure, children continued to multiply everywhere.

Silent 02-24-2005 07:48 AM

My favorite Chapman role was after he sobered up.

Brian in "Life of Brian"

http://mnlg.com/jfs/archive_P/2002/j...fs/lifeof2.jpg

CzinZumerzet 03-01-2005 10:05 AM

John Peel who has left a great gulf and of course gentle George Harrison.

mrnoodle 03-10-2005 11:57 AM

Cowboy singer Chris LeDoux died yesterday from cancer. He was the real deal - pure western through and through. Even people who normally dislike country music respected him, and there were as many Metallica t-shirts as Ropers at his shows. Not too much airplay in the age of country-rock-pop garbage, but there are a whole lot of hardass cowboys who are having to pretend they "got somethin in my eye" this morning.

Dammit.

If you get a chance, listen to "This Cowboy's Hat" to get an idea of what he sounded like at his peak.

monicakat 03-10-2005 07:36 PM

George Harrison
Bill Hicks
Stanley Kubrick

CzinZumerzet 03-12-2005 06:07 AM

The so sad news yesterday, Friday March 11th, as comic relief Red Nose Day was dawning we heard of the passing of Dave Allen and I was really moved to tears. He was honestly iconic in a world where cheap copies and mediocrity are the commonplace and he was so very much more than a comedian.

Dave Allen joyously celebrated his atheism but those who remember him will recall his parting words at the end of every programme. "Whoever he is, may your God go with you". Cheers Dave.

BrianR 03-12-2005 08:43 AM

I remember him once saying that tonight he would change it and say "May my God go with ME". He was a riot, even for a Brit. I loved his Robin Hood skits and his immortal joke about the Phantom Piddler!

RIP Dave Allen.

chainsaw 03-15-2005 11:24 AM

Danny Joe Brown dies at 53