The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mistakes on Menu's (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12667)

Sundae 12-07-2006 06:05 AM

Mistakes on Menu's

Yes, the mistake in the thread title is deliberate :)

Okay, I'm a pedant. I don't look for mistakes in signs and menus, they just jump out at me. But last night I read a take-away menu that had been put through my door and it just about trumped every one I've seen before.

Forget pinaepple, burgr or Barcardi - when I reached the chicken section I realised this was a classic.

Tenacy Chicken (think about it)
and Louissianna Chicken

Bless them.

DanaC 12-07-2006 06:15 AM

My favourite from last year, was a beautifully decorated chalk board outside a bar, with the words "Christmas bookings now bean taken" lovingly chalked on in a calligraphic style.

Pie 12-07-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Yes, the mistake in the thread title is deliberate :)

Thank god. You made my morning, SG. Greengrocers apostrophe’s are a serious irritant.
I've also seen "Spicy Beef Tender" at a local Chinese restaurant. It was spicy beef tendon. Just a little different. :eek:

Undertoad 12-07-2006 08:57 AM

http://cellar.org/2002/objectsdart.jpg

It's such a common error that it's accepted, but I can't stand this particular language mix.

Hoof Hearted 12-07-2006 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of our favorites we saw three years ago:

wolf 12-07-2006 12:38 PM

Errors on a Chinese Menu don't really count, unless the error is in the Chinese version.

Shawnee123 12-07-2006 12:53 PM

I am the same way SG. My ex and I would be driving along and I'd go "did you see that sign? _____ was misspelled." He was always amazed at how things jump out at me.

In staff meeting today I ran to get my reading glasses, came back to my seat, glanced down at the 4 paragraph paper in front of me, and realized my coworkers used "it's" as possessive. It was in the middle of all those other words but it's like it glared at me.

Another case in point. Anyone have a BP station nearby? Look at the sign listing for the "Ultimate" gas. the i and the m are together. I can't illustrate it here but just think of it as the dotted i is the first leg of the m. Who notices? No one. Well, me. I've never figured out why, but I wonder if I point it out to them I win some kind of contest or something. :)

Elspode 12-07-2006 04:17 PM

Chinese restaurant errors may not count, but they are fun. A place I used to frequent had "General Chicken" instead of "General's Chicken" (short for General Tso's Chicken). I used to ask them if they had any Specific Chicken. They didn't get it.

The same place also had the "b" in crab rangoon replaced with a "p". Not terribly appetizing, that.

Katkeeper 12-07-2006 04:36 PM

My favorite has always been a hand made sign on a lot in Norristown selling Christmas trees that annonced, "Fur Trees for sale".

Sheldonrs 12-07-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katkeeper
My favorite has always been a hand made sign on a lot in Norristown selling Christmas trees that annonced, "Fur Trees for sale".

"annonced" hehehehe

SteveDallas 12-07-2006 10:34 PM

It just makes me batty. I can't even post about it. If I do I'll just start freaking out.

marichiko 12-07-2006 11:40 PM

I still remember a restaurant in Brazil that offered "Chicken Gordan Blue." I always imagined being served a steaming plate of blue poultry when I read that on their menu.

Aliantha 12-07-2006 11:50 PM

Or a waiter named gordon with a blue face...

rkzenrage 12-08-2006 12:06 AM

All the local churches around here are notorious for it... some are hilarious.

chrisinhouston 12-10-2006 10:01 AM

About 2 years ago the Houston Chronicle ran a recipe in their cooking section with a recipe that called for "4 boneless children's breasts." My wife wondered aloud if it was sent in by Jeffrey Dahmer (the serial killer and cannibel). ;)

limey 12-10-2006 10:37 AM

I was recently interpreting over dinner for a mixed party of Russian and English speakers. Unfortunately, the hotel hadn't thought to ask me to translate the menu into Russian, they'd simply put it through a web-based translator ... some of it came out OK, some didn't. I give below retranslations into English of the worst bits:
"Parmesan custard Caesar style: With bread croutons he crisps the parmesan and roasts the garlic dressing;
Bosom of guinea fowl: Cumin puree smelling of a Swedish national, he buttered the Savoy cabbage and the potato paste lump;
Make the tuile biscuits crisp: Layered with pistachio mousse, milk chocolate ice cream and with mixed jam of a berry;
Recent coffee foundation with fine feuers" :eyebrow: .

King 12-10-2006 03:45 PM

I know a chip shop where they sells Chip's, Pie's, Chicken Nugget's etc.

Spexxvet 12-11-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas
It just makes me batty. I can't even post about it. If I do I'll just start freaking out.

Your kidding. :p

Urbane Guerrilla 12-11-2006 05:21 PM

It's not his kidding; it's their kidding. :D & :mad: at once.

My favorite restaurant menu-mutterer is still the like of "served with au jus." The French Dip sandwich entry invariably draws my eye to check.

Shawnee123 12-11-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
It's not his kidding; it's their kidding. :D & :mad: at once.

My favorite restaurant menu-mutterer is still the like of "served with au jus." The French Dip sandwich entry invariably draws my eye to check.

I agree, and most places do it anyway. :eek:

JayMcGee 12-11-2006 06:54 PM

mmmm...... wonders just how many Russian parties visit Arran...

(and in Douglas Adams mode..... where in the world can I fnd a Russian Interpreter..... why, where else but a small island within the west coast of Scotland...)

Urbane Guerrilla 12-13-2006 10:56 PM

With me it runs about half and half. Denny's (U.S. restaurant chain) gets it right... maybe International House of Pancakes does too, can't recall.

Adam Clarke 12-22-2006 02:05 AM

Handprinted sign in Chinese takeaway -

"Flied Lice Special"

Ugh.

Katkeeper 12-22-2006 09:28 AM

What were they thinking?? Let's see, we pronounce the "r" as an "l" which means we have to write it that way? Or perhaps they have mostly chinese customers who will understand it.

wolf 12-22-2006 01:03 PM

Or they know full well that every well-meaning, bending over backwards not to appear racist customer that they have says it that way, but not when they order.

I think it's very funny.

Pie 12-22-2006 02:39 PM

Flied lice, velly nice.

cowhead 12-23-2006 11:24 PM

take a drive thru this part of western georgia.. but whatever you do if you have a nit picky linguistic bone... do not i repeat DO NOT actually stop and talk to anyone..

Urbane Guerrilla 12-26-2006 02:07 AM

I dunno... "When the skull is thick, use discussion by percussion..."

SteveDallas 08-25-2007 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why even bother?

richlevy 08-25-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 296861)
Recent coffee foundation .

Isn't that a non-profit in Seattle?

busterb 08-25-2007 08:45 PM

Hardee's hand scooped ice cream. Perhaps other places use feet?
Help me out. Can anyone think of another way to scoop?

Clodfobble 08-25-2007 09:16 PM

An excavator?

That would be a lot of ice cream...

HungLikeJesus 08-31-2007 05:29 PM

It's amazing how many errors and nonsensical statements appear in newspapers (including electronic ones). I just saw this in an article about the growth of the Canadian wind industry:

Quote:

Neil Levine, an EPCOR spokesman, told Reuters there were several delays, and that the project faced opposition from "some people who are not in favor of the project."

Sundae 07-25-2009 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to put this in the Dwellar's IRL thread, or whatever it was called.
That's the problem - I can't remember what it's called!

So tis here instead.
Because it would make Jebus cry.

TheMercenary 07-25-2009 08:44 AM

:D

Juniper 07-25-2009 09:04 AM

One of my current clients has "Outside Basement Entry's" on his website -- a website that *I* wrote the copy for, mostly. I did not put the text on the tabs, therefore this is not my error, but it is humiliating. I'm fighting to get it changed but the website guys are awfully stubborn. :(

Glinda 07-25-2009 11:14 AM

Couple of years ago, I nearly drove off the road after seeing the following gigantic signs in every window of a huge furniture store:

SOFA'S FOR SALE!

Then there was the brochure I received which advertised a secretarial seminar dedicated to writing better, more professional letters. Not only did it have scare quotes around things that had no reason for quotation marks at all, it also had all the punctuation outside the quotation marks. ARGH.

I wrote them a very polite letter informing them that because they clearly did not know what the fork they were talking about, I would not be attending their seminar. Future secretarial seminar brochures were corrected.

HA!

My mother insists she's never going to write anything to me again, because of my serious mental illness about spelling/grammar/punctuation errors. *

* Any errors in this post are directly attributable to the hijinx of intarwebz pixies.

Happy Monkey 07-25-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 583841)
I wanted to put this in the Dwellar's IRL thread, or whatever it was called.
That's the problem - I can't remember what it's called!

Here.

xoxoxoBruce 07-25-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 380908)
It's amazing how many errors and nonsensical statements appear in newspapers (including electronic ones). I just saw this in an article about the growth of the Canadian wind industry:

HTML Code:

Neil Levine, an EPCOR spokesman, told Reuters there were several delays, and that the project faced opposition from "some people who are not in favor of the project."
As opposed to opposition from people who are in favor of the project, but object to details like density, location, or something?

SteveDallas 07-25-2009 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a mistake, but I found it amusing. From a restaurant in Ocean City, MD.

There was no such limit on any other drink. Perhaps they thought the Long Island Iced Tea made for particularly troublesome customers.

xoxoxoBruce 07-25-2009 12:06 PM

I've seen a limit on Zombies, also.

Shawnee123 07-25-2009 12:07 PM

No no no. Take out tequila (years ago when I learned to make them no one used tequila) and replace trip sec with Cointreau. Oh, and COCA COLA. And lemon, not lime.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to critique the drink. Old bartenders never die...

SteveDallas 07-25-2009 12:36 PM

Why no tequila??

I personally don't have a problem substituting cointreau <-> triplesec. Close enough for my purposes.

Sundae 07-25-2009 12:45 PM

Cheers Happy Monkey :)

Re cocktail wars - I'm fighting a losing battle re real Black Russians.
Even more so now I'm not drinking (ie I can't vote with my wallet).

VODKA AND KAHLUA, people. Get your coke in the toilets if you need it.

Clodfobble 07-25-2009 04:57 PM

I am by no means an expert on anything remotely related to alcohol... but I thought Vodka and Kahlua was a White Russian, thus the substitution of Coke making it a Black Russian...?

Shawnee123 07-25-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 583956)
Why no tequila??

I personally don't have a problem substituting cointreau <-> triplesec. Close enough for my purposes.

The traditional recipe never called for tequila. I think it just makes it taste bad and gives more alcohol punch, which for some is the whole point of the drink. I used to like the taste of them, when a visiting college friend and I went to the bar I would eventually work at and she suggested I try one.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/icedte...longisland.htm

A White Russian is Vodka, Kahlua, and cream. A Black Russian omits the cream.

Coke? I never heard of that in a Black Russian.

Stormieweather 07-25-2009 05:11 PM

No Coke in either Russian. White Russian is a Black Russian with cream added.

Shawnee123 07-25-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 584004)

A White Russian is Vodka, Kahlua, and cream. A Black Russian omits the cream.

Coke? I never heard of that in a Black Russian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormieweather (Post 584005)
No Coke in either Russian. White Russian is a Black Russian with cream added.

So I've heard. ;)

Clodfobble 07-25-2009 07:13 PM

Ah well, I don't know who says Coke then. I've never had either drink, myself. I was basing my guess on SG's assertion that someone must have thought Coke belonged in a Black Russian.

Stormieweather 07-25-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 584006)
So I've heard. ;)

Hey, I'm just a slow typist who is easily distracted. By the time I wrote and posted mine, you'd already posted, with references even.

jinx 07-25-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 583946)
I've seen a limit on Zombies, also.

Victory has a limit (2) on one of their beers... either St. Boisterous or Olde Horizontal, I can't remember...

Flint 07-25-2009 11:44 PM

FYI: a White Russian with a splash of Coke is called a Colorado Bulldog.

Sundae 07-26-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 584021)
I was basing my guess on SG's assertion that someone must have thought Coke belonged in a Black Russian.

Most bars here think that Coke belongs in a Black Russian. I think because it makes for a longer drink and therefore takes longer to drink, meaning a few rounds are less likely to end in puke or violence?

I've even seen Tia Maria, vodka and Coke described as a Black Russian. Sigh. :headshake

I remember taking my Mum and sister (blimey - so we did used to get on just a little bit!) to Freud's in Oxford back in the early '90s. Gorgeous place - old chapel. I bought us cocktails, and ordered a B52 for myself. The waitress said, very kindly, "This is a short cocktail you know." It was okay, I knew, but sweet of her to worry that I was envy the other two's long, fizzy, umbrella decorated drinks.

Flint 07-26-2009 06:55 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot the Scotch Aggravation, i.e. a White Russian made with Scotch.

Tulip 07-26-2009 09:33 PM

So, we've strayed from grammatical errors to drinks? Hehe...

I think from now on, I will run a grammar and spelling check on all my posts before submitting. :p Just kidding, I am too lazy for that. :D Y'all seem like a polite bunch. Y'all would sit there and be annoyed but won't poke me out, I hope. :nuts:

monster 07-27-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 584083)
I've even seen Tia Maria, vodka and Coke described as a Black Russian. Sigh. :headshake.

that's what it was in the bar at Birmingham Uni. And other pubs up north. Kahuwhat? :lol:

Sundae 07-27-2009 11:08 AM

Thanks for the back-up. I was beginning to look a bit over-semsitive.

monster 07-27-2009 01:37 PM

Merkins are reeeeaaally into their cocktails. or maybe it's just a crashing towards middle-age thing. Hard to tell which is culture and which is age when you switch continents at 30, but all of a sudden whenever i go out for drinks, all the other women are drinking cocktails and parties in people's houses are all about the host's mixed drinks -margeritas, dirty martinis, bloody marys..... never has it been so hard to get a gaddamned beer! :lol: *sigh*

SteveDallas 07-27-2009 02:14 PM

As we get older, we have less time to drink (not to mention less bladder capacity) so hitting the hard liquor becomes imperative.

Flint 07-27-2009 02:45 PM

long, muddled post with no real point:

I've always wondered whether our taste in alcohol changes with age due to something physiological. There are, of course, lifestyle-based reasons as well. I have personally taken to drinking straight, hard liquor over ice, if given the preference--something I wouldn't have enjoyed even five years ago. And it would have made much more sense for me to drink that way while playing long, long sets behind a drumset.

Edit: Oh, and the other obvious thing. I can afford more expensive alcohols now, which actually taste good straight. I'm not drinking the same stuff anymore; and when I do, it still requires being mixed with something. Crown Royal Cask #16 versus the regular Crown (needs Coke!) for instance.