The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Front license plate? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20968)

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 10:07 AM

Front license plate?

There is nowhere to mount the front license plate (damn Ohio) on my 2006 VW Beetle.

I've been looking at the 'net and found some for the old beetles, but I'm not sure what I need for this one.

Anyone have to do something similar? Any advice?

Thanks!

monster 09-03-2009 10:08 AM

Do you have to have one in OH, then? We only have rear here, so cars generally come without frontal fixin's. i think there are kits.... ruin the look of the car tho'

eta sorry that was probably the singularly most unhelpful reply i've given on here in a long time, and that's saying something.......

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 10:10 AM

Yeah, we have to have them. I heard of someone who got pulled over, had it in the front window.

Damn pain in the ass.

Nirvana 09-03-2009 10:12 AM

We only have to have rear here in Indiana. When the Bulls had Micheal Jordan my hub put a bulls plate on the front and when I was in WI a female cop jumped all over me for having that plate on my car when I was in line at a gas station to pay for gas and I had to tell her I was from Indiana we don't have double plates. She slunk out the door no apology nuttin! Sheesh!:rolleyes:

glatt 09-03-2009 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I had the old Buick, it had no spot for a front license plate, so I just drilled a couple holes into the plastic bumper and screwed it to that.

These guys did the same with their Beetle.

monster 09-03-2009 10:13 AM

apparently youneed a Plate Mate, don't drill the bumper.... working on this lead....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8090826AAqrtaC

monster 09-03-2009 10:14 AM

http://www.newbeetle.org/ may have the answer about the platemate somewhere

monster 09-03-2009 10:16 AM

here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-ac...acket-kit.html

gominigo is the place, apparently

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 10:18 AM

http://www.gominigo.com/30.html

INteresting. I never thought about it being off-center. It will mess with my OCD need for symmetry, but I will have to find out if it's OK in Ohio.

The drilled one doesn't look bad at all but I don't want to drill if I don't have to.

Thanks all!

monster 09-03-2009 10:20 AM

Where does it attach to? is it inside the wheel rim? just wondering why it has to be off center?

glatt 09-03-2009 10:26 AM

It attaches to the tow hook, apparently.

Edit: It's a neat design. But $70 plus S/H is a little pricey. That one machined piece that screws into the tow hook receptacle is the one that would make doing it yourself a challenge. I didn't realize that newer cars have this tow hook receptacle instead of an actual hook. Driving around in my 14 year old car with its old technology has made me ignorant.

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 10:29 AM

See where the smiley face is on the pic glatt posted? There's a round thing on mine too, looks like it can be removed. A few people have asked me what it is and I have no idea. Is that what they're doing in the gominigo pics?

I really need to find an owner's manual.

monster 09-03-2009 10:31 AM

aha.

If that's a small hole, I bet undertoad will want to come and pee in it if you uncover it.

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 10:33 AM

lmao! Ya think?

monster 09-03-2009 10:38 AM

I do. keep your holes covered! :eek:

Undertoad 09-03-2009 10:54 AM

You women. Just like naming boys, you have no idea.

Not just any hole is good to pee into. There are certain targets that are just asking for it, in a primordial sort of way.

It has to be a nice target - not too small, not too big
It has to suggest the pee will drain, in some way
If you're not sure where the pee is draining, but you know it is draining somehow, that's a bonus

As a man, you are inevitably gonna pee outdoors, if you are not a pussy. But as a man, you don't just whiz on the open ground, or on a shrubbery or such. It should be more interesting than that. And if it's offensive, it can't be, like, ridiculously offensive. Even a bit of spatter on a good car, that's offensive. You shouldn't treat a car like that, unless it is a known junker with all worthwhile parts removed.

xoxoxoBruce 09-03-2009 10:59 AM

Why didn't the dealer mount your plates? :confused:

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 11:00 AM

The dealer gave me temp tags. I get the plates. Isn't that how it works there?

Shawnee123 09-03-2009 11:02 AM

I'm not transferring them from the old car, I want new plates, if that makes a difference.

xoxoxoBruce 09-03-2009 11:05 AM

OK, so they give you some sort of temp tags, then you get new plates in the mail, or something? Take it back to the dealer and have him put them on. They gots the stuff. ;)

Clodfobble 09-03-2009 11:39 AM

What Bruce said. When I was younger I took the car to the dealer just to take off the old plates and put on the new ones, because I was busy and didn't have the right size wrench handy. Just drive up and bat your eyes and they'll happily do it.

monster 09-03-2009 12:30 PM

They'll drill holes.....

classicman 09-03-2009 10:07 PM

and fill 'em if yer lucky. . . or so I've heard.

Shawnee123 09-04-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 592418)
What Bruce said. When I was younger I took the car to the dealer just to take off the old plates and put on the new ones, because I was busy and didn't have the right size wrench handy. Just drive up and bat your eyes and they'll happily do it.

Ahhhh, use my powers for good rather than evil. I like!

But, I am scared...

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 592424)
They'll drill holes.....

xoxoxoBruce 09-04-2009 10:52 AM

Yes, they'll drill holes, but they have these special nylon plugs that snap in the holes and will accept the screws to hold the plate on.

You don't have much choice unless you move to another state, risk repeated tickets for no front plate, or spend a lot of money for an expensive/complicated alternate system...

or duct tape.;)

Shawnee123 09-04-2009 10:53 AM

Actually, why wouldn't a good double sided tape work? I could use goo-b-gone if I ever need to remove it. Think it would withstand the elements? Probably not. Crap.

xoxoxoBruce 09-04-2009 10:56 AM

Unless you move out of state, you're going to have a front plate as long as you have the car, so what difference does it make?

glatt 09-04-2009 11:00 AM

It's just plastic. It's not like the holes will rust. And you can't see them because they are behind the plate.

TheMercenary 09-04-2009 11:02 AM

We drilled a vanity plate into the front bumper of my dau car (now wrecked). Often if you look really close you can see little indents in the plastic where they are designed to have the plate screwed on with self tapping screws, no need to actually get a drill out. Just screw them in.

Shawnee123 09-04-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 592644)
Unless you move out of state, you're going to have a front plate as long as you have the car, so what difference does it make?

Maybe I'm thinking of moving out of state? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 592647)
It's just plastic. It's not like the holes will rust. And you can't see them because they are behind the plate.

True

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 592650)
We drilled a vanity plate into the front bumper of my dau car (now wrecked). Often if you look really close you can see little indents in the plastic where they are designed to have the plate screwed on with self tapping screws, no need to actually get a drill out. Just screw them in.

Hmmm...thanks! Never looked that close.

I'll check at the dealership tonight after work.

Thanks for all the help! :)

wolf 09-13-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 592659)
Maybe I'm thinking of moving out of state? ;)

Should you move into a front-plateless state, you then will have a wealth of really cool looking front plates to choose from.

But please don't ever buy the Elvis plate.

Or the RETIRED one.

I'm sure there are a couple of other ones I find completely annoying.

Shawnee123 09-17-2009 11:17 AM

Ha! An Elvis plate...coulda grabbed one on my way through Memphis.

I zip-tied the sucker to the front grill. Zip-ties are great: sure, duct tape gets all the glory, but let us not forget the value of a good zip-tie.

It lasted through a 2000 + mile roadtrip, and is still going strong. I'm a fracking genius.

richlevy 09-26-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 594603)
Should you move into a front-plateless state, you then will have a wealth of really cool looking front plates to choose from.

But please don't ever buy the Elvis plate.

Or the RETIRED one.

I'm sure there are a couple of other ones I find completely annoying.

How about the JESUS plate? I wonder what was going through the mind of the first cop to encounter one of those?

Perry Winkle 09-26-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 597370)
How about the JESUS plate? I wonder what was going through the mind of the first cop to encounter one of those?

Shoot first. Ask questions later.