The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Roger Ebert writes an open letter to Rush Limbaugh (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21881)

Pete Zicato 01-15-2010 10:14 AM

Roger Ebert writes an open letter to Rush Limbaugh

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...NION/100119985

How low can you go? Rush shows us.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 10:17 AM

Jebus. Get Satan over here when he's done with Pat Robertson.

GAWD I despise that man. He's sick. :headshake

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 10:19 AM

Same old Rush... at least he's consistent, the cocksucker.
Sorry, didn't mean to insult cocksuckers.

classicman 01-15-2010 10:30 AM

Gotta post it so it never disappears.
Quote:

You should be horse-whipped for the insult you have paid to the highest office of our nation.

Having followed President Obama's suggestion and donated money to the Red Cross for relief in Haiti, I was offended to hear you suggest the President might be a thief capable of stealing money intended for the earthquake victims.

Here is a transcript from your program on Thursday:

Justin of Raleigh, North Carolina: "Why does Obama say if you want to donate some money, you could go to whitehouse.gov to direct you how to do so? If I wanted to donate to the Red Cross, why do I have to go to the White House page to donate?"

Limbaugh: "Exactly. Would you trust the money's gonna go to Haiti?"

Justin: "No."

Rush: "But would you trust that your name's gonna end up on a mailing list for the Obama people to start asking you for campaign donations for him and other causes?"

Justin: "Absolutely!"

Limbaugh: "Absolutely!"

That's what was said.

Unlike you and Justin of Raleigh, I went to Obama's web site, and discovered the link there leads directly to the Red Cross. I can think of a reason why anyone might want to go via the White House. That way they can be absolutely sure they're clicking on the Red Cross and not a fake site set up to exploit the tragedy.

But let me be sure I have this right. You and Justin agree that Obama might steal money intended for the Red Cross to help the wretched of Haiti.

This conversation came 48 hours after many of us had seen pitiful sights from Port au Prince. Tens of thousands are believed still alive beneath the rubble. You twisted their suffering into an opportunity to demean the character of the President of the United States.

You have a sizable listening audience. You apparently know how to please them. Anybody given a $400 million contract must know what he is doing.

That's what offends me. You know exactly what you're doing.
I knew he and Pat were buddies.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 10:31 AM

What's it say about the multitudes of idiots who believe his shit?

Satan 01-15-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626738)
Jebus. Get Satan over here when he's done with Pat Robertson.

Dammit not this again.

Ok, ummm.....technically I can't do anything to Rush because of a past agreement. A young desperate radio host who went by Rusty Sharpe wanted to be the most popular radio host of all time. Keep it mind it was during the late 60's and I was getting real tired of all the hippy bullshit so the thought of a conservative radio host was appealing. I really need to stop doing business under the influence of LSD...

But, yeah, anyways, did you really think he is popular because of talent or brains? Bwahahahahaha

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 10:47 AM

Come on Satan. What about the deal where I'm your girlfriend when I get to hell, huh? 'Cause, uh, that Jebus fellow's been eyeing me pretty heavily, and I'd hate to think I'd have to kick you to the curb over something as silly as l'il ole Rush. I mean, are you trying to tell me you have ETHICS?

Satan 01-15-2010 10:56 AM

Girlfriend? Oh....haha....yeah....that was before I met Saddam.

Nirvana 01-15-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan (Post 626753)
Girlfriend? Oh....haha....yeah....that was before I met Saddam.

Umm what about Chris? Besides didn't God tell you that neither boyfriend was right for you? :eyebrow:

morethanpretty 01-15-2010 11:46 AM

Rush stands by his comments and explains why he said them. Not that its a good explaination

Quote:

Controversial conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh is defending earlier comments in which he accused President Obama of using the disaster in Haiti for political gain.

"I do believe that everything is political to this president," Limbaugh said on his radio show yesterday. "Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion
LINK

So, Obama is suppose to not respond at all because a good/timely/compassionate response might gain him politcal favor? Yes, that makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Rush is an idiot, and people who believe him are too.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 11:48 AM

He's an ass. I once heard him argue for like an hour because he insisted the @ sign was called an ampersand. He wouldn't concede the point even though people were shoving dictionaries in his face. I mean, if you've fucking watched Wheel of Fortune ONCE you know what an ampersand is. (I didn't listen to him on purpose, I worked with a bunch of dumb old bats who worshipped the ground he walked on and kept him on the radio. I wanted to vomit.)

He really is a big fat idiot. Pure evil, along with Palin and Bush.

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:03 PM

I personally think Rush Limbaugh is a douchebag BUT he is without a doubt awesome at what he does. Look at all of you getting your panties in a twist over something said by a guy you describe as an idiot. In case you haven't figured it out, THAT is what this guy is about - ratings and marketshare. You give it to him.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:05 PM

I love how no one will actually admit they love Rush. Every conservative on this board knows better than to affiliate with him (which tells me you're smarter than the dumb rednecks), and so, instead, say things like "I think he sucks BUT..." or "I don't agree with Rush, BUT..."

Those posts make your but look big.

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:12 PM

About as much as your superiority complex. I've stated my views on Rush a number of times over the years.

I think he is a douchebag. A very rich, very intelligent, very successful douchebag. It cracks my ass up when I hear him ridicule his own dittoheads. It cracks my ass up when he goes on a rant and by the end of it he is having a hard time not laughing because even HE doesn't believe the bullshit he's spewing. I love it that supposedly intelligent beings such as yourself ridicule him for being a stupid irrelevent cocksucker but you waste no opportunity to get wound up by his comments on his entertainment radio show.

I respect his ability to succeed in a cutthroat business for so long. Just like a respected Bill Clinton's ability to come out of shitstorms relatively unscathed.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:16 PM

Oh, so my approach should be to put him on ignore? Nope! He's dangerous, and you're an apologist. And you can give the lip service about how you think he's a douchebag all you want, but your actions via your words belie that notion.

Me reading an article posted on the Cellar, then commenting on it, contributes to Rush's marketshare? OK. You're right. I'll just shut up because it's just not RIGHT to say anything bad about Rush: his fans get their panties in a wad.

Superiority complex? HA! That's good, cuz. :p

And you snuck in Clinton? Wow...it's almost like you're using the earthquake for gain or publicity, Rush. Grab at what you can I guess, when you really have nothing else to go with. :headshake

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:20 PM

In fact, I've noticed the only time you pop in anymore is to bitch about Obama or apologize for Rush.

Why are you conservatives so ashamed to just be who you are? Why do you hide so?

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:32 PM

Hide? Not so much. I'm just busy being a productive member of society. ;)

Of course, if you want a more serious answer I'd guess you'd have to point out somewhere, anywhere really, where I've apologized for Rush or thrown out a Ditto. As far as bitching about Obama, I'd ask you to go back and read again. Unlike some of my fellow dwellars I don't spend a lot of energy bitching about individuals I don't know. You will however find many posts where I criticize or disagree with policies and philosophies. Of course I did that with the previous administration as well but it's probably easier for you to just stick with your broad and bitter assumptions.

If you look at my nearly 6 years of posts I don't believe you'll find the profile of someone ashamed of their beliefs.

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:35 PM

More importantly, hows the boy doing?

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:38 PM

*sigh* that's a large part of what keeps me busy. we have now tried and rejected 4 different medications. He is in the ramp up for a 5th but it is too soon to see any positive or negative signs yet.

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:41 PM

Keep plugging (like you wouldn't :rolleyes:), and I'll send the best vibes I can muster.

Nirvana 01-15-2010 01:41 PM

Satan you killed Kenny! You bastard! :lol:

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:43 PM

Yeah, I work too. I had a kid tell me the other day he was going to quit, trying to go to school was too frustrating, until I helped him. So I"m productive too.

Why is it OK for all y'all to treat me like dog shit, anyway? You started the slinging with your superiority complex statement. It's OK, you'll still be adored and I'll take the shit for being whatever it is you think I am (bitter) when I state my opinion.

Superiority complex? I rarely feel worse than this place can make me feel, but I keep trying. Why? Because of the rare connection, because every now and then someone values my opinion. Sometimes I almost forget I'm worthless and so are my values and ideas and words. There's always a special someone here willing to re-point that out.

It's a motherfucking GOOD life, ya know. :lol:

Let the flaming begin. Luckily, along with bitterness comes a toughness that goes deeper than the barbs and arrows I see flying in my direction.

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:45 PM

Calm down, it's a VW not a snit. :p

Flint 01-15-2010 01:45 PM

I did you.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:46 PM

Always telling the girls to "calm down."

This girl won't calm down for you at your will. Sorry. ;)

Yeah, Flint, I have a vague recollection. I guess it wasn't too memorable (examines fingernails and yawns.)

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:48 PM

Not always, only the ones getting riled up for no reason.

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:48 PM

Well, if that is the way you feel you need more help than the cellar can provide. S123, I always enjoyed your posts until recently. Your posts have become more condescending and bitter in recent months. You throw shit around, but as soon as someone says anything to you they get a pity party post like the one above. Quit being a martyr. Last I checked you and I are on equal footing in the cellar. It's not like I have some gang of groupies to jump on you. Say whatever you want, but don't be surprised if someone responds to you in kind.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:50 PM

No reason? And I'm more riled than he? I don't think so. I'm responding TO him. Quit being so sexist.

This is what I'm talking about: discounting me for feeling the need to stand up for myself, telling me I have no reason. You know, I think I have reason. For you to tell me my reasons aren't valid, pretty shitty.

Next time merc floods a thread with stupid poli pics when he's having a hissy fit, please do stop in to tell him to calm down. It's really only fair.

Shitty shitty people.

Not one woman here can say how she feels without being accused of the pity party. AND THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, for your info, lookout. These labels you stick where you please? Wrong, mean, and sick.

Fuck that, and fuck you.

(I like the "you need help" motif that's been going around lately. God, don't mess with the boys' club in this place!)

xoxoxoBruce 01-15-2010 01:53 PM

Oh, we're playing the cunt card, are we. Fuck it, enjoy your martyrdom.

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:53 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about.

It's cuz I'm a woman!

No, it's cuz you're being ridiculous.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:54 PM

Fuck both of you. That's ALL YOU GOT.

Go to hell, seriously.

lookout123 01-15-2010 01:55 PM

I honestly don't know what's happening in your life, but this kind of reaction is bigger than some words on a screen.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 01:57 PM

No, that's just your condescension coming out. See, if you keep perpetuating this, it permeates everything and everyone's mind. Oh, it's just crazy Shaw again.

For standing up and saying what's on my mind...

I think they call this gaslighting. Some of you are quite good at it.

Nirvana 01-15-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626841)

Go to hell, seriously.

Satan get ready for some company, XOB and LO are coming for a visit, have Chris make a nice quiche ;)

lookout123 01-15-2010 02:00 PM

I actually I'd never heard of gaslighting so thanks.

After you relax a bit why don't you go back and relax a bit more then reread this thread. You aren't the only one who I tweaked about getting wound up over Rush, you're just the only to take it personal and escalate things.

lookout123 01-15-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 626845)
Satan get ready for some company, XOB and LO are coming for a visit, have Chris make a nice quiche ;)

uhuh. me and pat robertson are tight. the debil can't touch me.

Nirvana 01-15-2010 02:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting
For those of you that have not gotten the memo I am the forum asshole today! :)

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 02:04 PM

I would ask you do the same thing.

I mentioned that I've heard a number of people who I described as conservatives have said a number of times something along the lines of "I don't like Rush BUT..."

It was a fine observation. It offended YOU, though, like you said about YOUR comment, it was directed at a number of people, not just you.

It's a pattern. I think you escalated it, and I think you did so very calculatingly. I don't care if you don't see it, I don't care if the cool kids don't see it. I dont' care what you label me or say behind my back.

That's the change you've seen in me: I'm not apologizing for being me anymore. I don't need to sit at the cool table in the Cellar. I'll say kind things when I feel kind things, and I'll call bullshit when I see bullshit, and I'll defend myself when I need defended. How is that any different than what anyone else does?

Examine yourselves folks, I can't be your scapegoat forever.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 02:04 PM

Yeah, you are, and who the fuck is Chris? ;)

Nirvana 01-15-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Though presently single, Satan has had three romantic relationships so far. His most significant relationship was with Saddam Hussein in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. However, Saddam was emotionally abusive to the comparatively-meek and ineffectual Satan, and seemed more interested in Satan for sex and world domination than out of love. With some prompting from Kenny, Satan finally got the nerve to break up with Saddam by throwing him onto a giant rocky spike and killing him.

Saddam returned to Hell in "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?" (with the explanation that, since he was killed, he was just going to wind up right back there). By this time Satan had a new boyfriend, a man named Chris.
Scroll down to Satan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._on_South_Park

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 02:10 PM

Ohhhhh...a cultural reference I didn't know! Thanks!

Pico and ME 01-15-2010 02:14 PM

FTR...Shawnee isnt the only one to notice the condescending attitude that is sometimes exhibited here on the Cellar. I was quite astounded by Bruce's comment to Cloud the other day.

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 02:33 PM

You mean when he called her a cunt for having the audacity to feel a bit put off by a comment he made? Seemed a bit overboard to me too. Was she upset for a silly reason? Probably. Is that reason to call her a cunt? I don't know, I guess we should learn to shut up when we're told. I figured there must be a backstory that I didn't know, as I watched the pile on. *shrugs* Paint it what they will, it's shitty.

classicman 01-15-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

and I'll defend myself when I need>< defended.
>to be< ;)

Nirvana 01-15-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 626875)
>to be< ;)

Nirvana hands off the "asshole" baton to Classicman.

classicman 01-15-2010 03:16 PM

lol - I was trying to be funny there and steer the conversation away from the precipice.

Redux 01-15-2010 03:16 PM

Yes, absolutely, the Cellar has it own Rush (and no, I dont mean UG), but he's treated like a petulant spoiled child and simply accepted and ignored by most and rarely, if ever, called out for his antics or his offensive posts.

And yes, w/o knowing the back story, I too thought the recent "cunt" reference to another member here was offensive,

Generally I laugh at the "fuck you" or "failed" tossed out by our Rush and his acquiescent supporters when confronted or challenged with facts or an opinion with which they disagree...but IMO, there is a clear pattern of discourse here in the politics section in which, very often, the more conservative members dont seem interested in discussion as much as they are "going negative" and attacking people that challenge them.

But what do I know. I'm just an arrogant east coast liberal elitist and I guess that pisses some people off. :D

SamIam 01-15-2010 03:26 PM

Yipes!

Well, I don't feel that the men here condescend to me, but I try to be low key. I'm just not interested in flame wars. I could probably start WWIII with Merc and C-man if I felt like it. I just don't feel like it. And nasty remarks are not just aimed at women. Look at the posts between Redux, Merc, etc.

You are pretty much a straight shooter, Shawnee, and you shouldn't be surprised if other folks return the fire. I am rather in awe that you got Bruce to respond as he did. He's usually pretty mellow.

This is just the internet for heaven's sake. Read a decent book and check back in tomorrow. :headshake

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 03:29 PM

I don't mind the returned fire, if it's straight shooting as well, rather than a cover-up for bruised egos and a "see, there she goes again" designed to deflect who is actually being the ass (in the name of Rush, of all people) :lol:

Oh, and with all due respect, you're you. I'm me. It's easy to tell the difference. You are there, and I am here. Me. You. You. Me. ;) We're different, Sam, and that's OK...

When you are called a cunt, please to let me know what you think of it, hmmm? When you accidentally bruise an ego (because you would not do so on purpose as I might) let me know how the resulting twisting feels to you. :)

Redux 01-15-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626883)
I don't mind the returned fire, if it's straight shooting as well...

But, but....what if they are the gang that couldnt shoot straight? Or refuse to even attempt? ;)

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 03:37 PM

Then I stand up and say something, and get flame-o shat upon mightily. The emperor doesn't like when you point out his lack of clothing, you know, but someone has to stand for something! :lol2:

SamIam 01-15-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626883)
I don't mind the returned fire, if it's straight shooting as well, rather than a cover-up for bruised egos and a "see, there she goes again" designed to deflect who is actually being the ass (in the name of Rush, of all people) :lol:

Oh, and with all due respect, you're you. I'm me. It's easy to tell the difference. You are there, and I am here. Me. You. You. Me. ;) We're different, Sam, and that's OK...

When you are called a cunt, please to let me know what you think of it, hmmm? When you accidentally bruise an ego (because you would not do so on purpose as I might) let me know how the resulting twisting feels to you. :)

I have been called any number of things and you're right, I get as enraged as anyone else. Now I mostly avoid posting in a manner that will probably result in certain types of retaliation.

But you go for it, Shawnee, you are the pepper that spices up the cellar. ;)

morethanpretty 01-15-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 626799)
I personally think Rush Limbaugh is a douchebag BUT he is without a doubt awesome at what he does. Look at all of you getting your panties in a twist over something said by a guy you describe as an idiot. In case you haven't figured it out, THAT is what this guy is about - ratings and marketshare. You give it to him.

He is awesome at spreading lies and misinformation. He touts himself as factual and there are plenty of people who believe him when he spews his "facts." I don't listen to him, I don't contribute to his ratings and marketshare. Being able to read transcripts from OTHER news sources about what shit he's spewing, is not me contributing to his marketshare.
I have arguments with my dad about this man quite often, I can't argue if I don't know anything about him. I am attempting to reduce his marketshare by persuading others to NOT listen to him. Can't do that if I can't justify why.

Sorry I didn't respond to your ridiculous assumption earlier. I was busy being a productive member of society.

By the way, my panties don't get in a wad because I wear the non-ride up kind. I also don't stick "tampons in my ears" as Rush suggested a female caller had done, I know where those go.

classicman 01-15-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626886)
but someone has to stand for something! :lol2:

I stand for >to be<

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 03:48 PM

Classhole, don't make me stop this car!

morethanpretty 01-15-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 626896)
Classhole, don't make me stop this car!

Don't spank him, that's what he wants! Don't play into his hands.

Err I mean, don't let him play into your hands.

classicman 01-15-2010 03:51 PM

How bout them cowboys?

classicman 01-15-2010 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<O>>>>>>~~~~~~~~

Shawnee123 01-15-2010 03:55 PM

I actually hope the 'boys win.

Here's my druthers:

Indy and San Diego go to AFC championship, with SD winning. New Orleans and Dallas to NFC championship, with NO winning.

Then SD to win it all. Just because Rivers was my FF quarterback and I have no real reason to root for any team nor do I dislike any of the teams.

classicman 01-15-2010 03:57 PM

I hate them all except whoever is playing the cowboys. (sorry Jim)