The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What new thing have you learned today ? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23534)

Lamplighter 09-10-2010 08:11 PM

What new thing have you learned today ?

1 Attachment(s)
From here

I learned about the Brotherhood of the Golden Casserole:

God Help Us !

monster 09-10-2010 09:16 PM

I learned the word fungible.

monster 09-10-2010 09:16 PM

... and then I used it! :D

casimendocina 09-11-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 681753)
... and then I used it! :D

CHAMPION! I don't think I've learned anything noteworthy today YET. There's still about 6 hours left in the day though.

Lamplighter 09-12-2010 01:29 AM

We watched the remake of "All the King's Men" tonight (a good movie)
and that led me to read up on Huey Long.
I learned that the assassination plot was a many-tentacled affair.
... FDR ?... bodyguard ?...physician ?

It's still not settled, but it reads a lot like Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

casimendocina 09-12-2010 06:36 AM

Today, I learnt that my stomach does not have room for curry at 4.30 p.m., pizza at 6.30 pm followed by a brownie with chocolate sauce and icecream.

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2010 04:26 PM

That's silly, you proved that it does, didn't you?

monster 09-12-2010 04:28 PM

I'm not sure I want to hear a detailed answer to that qustion.

I learned there's an Aunt Millie's bakery just up the road from where beest works. Not sure if that knowledge will ever be useful, but I learned it.

Gravdigr 09-13-2010 12:38 AM

I learned that when calling and hunting crows, you have to kill the first crow that comes in...because he's a scout. If he goes back to the others after he spots you, you won't see any from that group.

casimendocina 09-13-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 681986)
That's silly, you proved that it does, didn't you?

No, I had to take most of the brownie home with me (otherwise what Monster didn't want to know probably would have come true). I've just eaten the remains of the brownie now 24 hours later and discovered that it was actually made of chocolate flavoured concrete.

GunMaster357 09-14-2010 02:46 AM

I was looking for a synonym of 'proverb', 'saying", etc.....

and learned of the word 'apophtegm'

monster 09-14-2010 11:37 AM

thanks, now I learned something :)

Pete Zicato 09-14-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMaster357 (Post 682263)
I was looking for a synonym of 'proverb', 'saying", etc.....

and learned of the word 'apophtegm'

The 'egm' ending automatically makes me think of phlegm.

xoxoxoBruce 09-14-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 682335)
The 'egm' ending automatically makes me think of phlegm.

But it snot. ;)

Bullitt 09-14-2010 01:13 PM

I learned that 2000 posts doesn't make you a doctor.. damn.

Pico and ME 09-14-2010 03:45 PM

When a homemade soup is just not getting good...just add sour cream and all is well.

glatt 09-16-2010 07:27 AM

Today I learned that astronauts have serious problems with the gloves they wear during space walks, and that they are so bad, a significant portion of them lose their fingernails from wearing the gloves, and most experience pain while wearing the gloves.

Lamplighter 09-16-2010 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Read the surprisingly long but interesting article, and learned that too.

Then I looked at the sidebar menu and found a Hubble photo of some of Jinx's snails trapped in a spiral nebula in space.

Yznhymr 09-16-2010 04:32 PM

'global climate disruption' replaces global warming

glatt 01-14-2011 09:41 AM

Last night I read that guys who have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers are better negotiators than guys who don't. The ring finger thing is apparently a product of hormone levels while they were growing in the womb, and those men have/had higher testosterone levels. The higher testosterone levels make them more effective negotiators.

From this book.

I guess the lesson here is to be careful buying a car from a man with a long ring finger.

Undertoad 01-14-2011 09:48 AM

Also ring finger shorter than index finger = 33% less chance of prostate cancer cite

HungLikeJesus 01-14-2011 10:02 AM

What if they're the same?

Shawnee123 01-14-2011 10:03 AM

So, these aren't like Old Husband's Tales, like the one about a woman's second toe being longer than her big toe means she will "henpeck" her husband? Does "henpeck" mean she'll be a total bitch?

Or do these finger length indicators have actual scientific reasoning?

(Sorry, haven't had time to read the article. Will later.)

glatt 01-14-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 705666)
Or do these finger length indicators have actual scientific reasoning?

Scientific
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Sundae 01-14-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 705657)
Last night I read that guys who have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers are better negotiators than guys who don't. The ring finger thing is apparently a product of hormone levels while they were growing in the womb, and those men have/had higher testosterone levels. The higher testosterone levels make them more effective negotiators.

There is a suggestion that the opposite applies to gay men. That a woman who has had more than one son carries higher oestrogen levels in order to combat the repeated doses of testosterone felt by carrying sons. So the finger test (ooh-er) is supposed to apply, as it position in the family.

However data gathered seems to suggest this is just a trend, not anything that can be relied on. There are people trying to determine whether people are born gay or decide to be gay, so you can bet if there was any real proof it would be widely disseminated (!)

jimhelm 01-14-2011 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 705657)

From this book.

I guess the lesson here is to be careful buying a car from a man with a long ring finger.

just sayin:

jimhelm 01-14-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
but cereal:

Shawnee123 01-14-2011 11:18 AM

There is no way that is some actual human being's hand! Unless the pinky was formerly chopped off and replaced with a replica nail to make it look more "normal." :eek:

edit: ha ha was referring to post 27 and now looking back I see the shoppin'

I was freaked for a second. Damn I'm gullible.

:lol:

footfootfoot 01-14-2011 11:27 AM

Jim are you a lefty?

Sundae 01-14-2011 11:56 AM

bloody reds under the beds everywhere these days...

jimhelm 01-14-2011 12:10 PM

no. i'm right handed.... that's why i was holding the camera(phone) in that hand. ;)

footfootfoot 01-14-2011 01:12 PM

Well, you would hold it in that hand anyway even if you were a lefty, they're designed for righties...

BigV 01-14-2011 01:50 PM

Don't you ever use it upside down with your thumb on the shutter release?

And, yes, they are designed for right handed use.

Sundae 01-14-2011 02:07 PM

Today I learned a lot more about The Great Fire of London than I ever did at school.
It's the class topic for both the classes I volunteer in, and today we had an ICT session where the learning objective was internet research (on monitored computers of course!)

Depending on the age/ abilities of the child they had different objectives to meet. For some of them, I had to read out the text of the websites they'd found. For others I simply had to steer them away from videos and games. And others had trouble working out the difference between the When, Where, Who questions that they needed to answer.

FTR, gleaned from this afternoon (all memory so forgive if it's slightly off, otherwise it would negate the title of the thread):
The fire started in Pudding Lane at approx 02.00 on Sunday 2nd Jan, raging through until Thursday 6th.
It started in the bakery of Thomas Farriner [various spellings], the King's Master Baker
The ovens had not been completely damped down and sparks ignited in the flour filled air.
Droughts had left London dry, and a wind quickly carried the fire to the wharves, stacked with oil, hemp (try explaining that to a six year old), coal and timber
The houses were made of timber and pitch and crowded closely together
Despite the massive conflagration less than 10 people died (estimates vary)
Dropping winds and natural and man-made boundaries meant the fire burned itself out in 4 days - although by this time every horse, carriage and boat for hire had already left the city.

Perry Winkle 01-14-2011 02:23 PM

I learned that if you're sick enough to spend 10 days in the hospital, you aren't going to be up to full speed in three days. Not even half-speed.

xoxoxoBruce 01-14-2011 02:34 PM

Jesus, to spend ten days in the hospital you have to be majorly fucked up. I don't think they'll let you stay ten days for a kidney transplant these days.:eek:

footfootfoot 01-14-2011 02:42 PM

You get ten days in the hospital if you have a plethora of cash.

glatt 01-14-2011 02:46 PM

A cash hemorrhage.

Gravdigr 01-27-2011 03:20 AM

Gravdigr 01-27-2011 03:31 AM

What new thing did I learn?

3 Attachment(s)
A day or two ago, I went in to find my best friend counting change out of a large jar. See pic 1. You can see the size of the jar, as well as the approximate diameter of the lid. See pic 2. The jar was filled to 1.5 inches from the top, basically, it was full of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. We did not count the pennies. In pic 3, you can see how many pennies there were, that is a 1.75 liter bottle.

What did I learn that day?

That you can get at least:

$24 worth of nickels,
$80 worth of dimes, and
$270 worth of quarters,
or $374, in a gallon jar.

We drank well that evening.

Sundae 01-27-2011 09:00 AM

Just to offset the good things learned - I learned that when I use my debit card on eBay the money is taken from my account immediately.

When I request it to be taken from the same bank, it can take up to 7 days.
Therefore simply checking my bank balance as opposed to my actual transactions can mean I do not have as much money available as I thought. which can mean my bank will reject transfer requests. Which will probably = bank charges, and definitely = a negative balance on my PayPal account, which needs to be dealt with ASAP. Shit.

zippyt 01-27-2011 09:21 AM

Sg Dont use yer Debit card on the net , its tied DIRECTLY Back to yer Bank Account , so if some ZipperHead gets your Numbers they can DRAIN yer account !
Use a Credit card instead , they have Folks LOOKING for Problems and can deny Payment , or investigate , or what ever , Plus it takes a Bit more time for the cash to change hands
( I could be Wrong about this , but WE dont use Debt cards on line )

limey 01-27-2011 09:25 AM

Good advice Zip, but not everyone has a credit card over here ...

monster 01-27-2011 09:25 AM

It's a little different in the UK, zipper. Not much, but a little. There's more consumer protection.

zippyt 01-27-2011 09:42 AM

Like I say I dont Know if its ture or Not , Just sounded like Sound advice to me ,
I Do know that at like a Gas Pump if you use yer ATM ( Dept ) card , when you swipe your card to start the Pump they AUTOMATICALY Hit your Account for like $70 , then Credit your account Back after a few days ,
So if yer rideing on that Thin ragged edge of Low funds , they can hit you with OVERDRAFT charges even when you Have $14.72 Left in yer account

monster 01-27-2011 09:44 AM

See, you can't buy gas like that in the UK. At least you couldn't when I left. And they certainly can't hit your card for more than you will spend like they do here.

Gravdigr 01-27-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 708477)
Like I say I dont Know if its ture or Not , Just sounded like Sound advice to me ,
I Do know that at like a Gas Pump if you use yer ATM ( Dept ) card , when you swipe your card to start the Pump they AUTOMATICALY Hit your Account for like $70 , then Credit your account Back after a few days ,
So if yer rideing on that Thin ragged edge of Low funds , they can hit you with OVERDRAFT charges even when you Have $14.72 Left in yer account

W.T.F? What, are they using the extra and earning interest, or what?

Datalyss 01-27-2011 04:58 PM

I've learned that I've finally had it with the rules of 'The Island' (a.k.a. Ex Isle Forums).

I've also learned that Twitter is confusing to me.

I've also learned that:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/20...dead_chimp.jpg

zippyt 01-27-2011 10:23 PM

From what I Understand Grav if you go Over what you have in your account the bank will still approve the transaction , THEN Hit you with a Overdraft charge EVEN though when the gas company Credits yer account BACK ( A few days latter )
You should have HEARD the Yelling when we went Over by $.05 once , fuckers hit us with a $30 Over draft charge

plthijinx 01-27-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 708627)

From what I Understand Grav if you go Over what you have in your account the bank will still approve the transaction , THEN Hit you with a Overdraft charge EVEN though when the gas company Credits yer account BACK ( A few days latter )
You should have HEARD the Yelling when we went Over by $.05 once , fuckers hit us with a $30 Over draft charge

hopefully you truly raped their ass over that one. that's totally messed up.

zippyt 01-27-2011 10:52 PM

Oh Carol Got after them !!

monster 01-28-2011 07:17 AM

I learned some new American Sign Language.

Nirvana 01-28-2011 11:56 AM

Jellyfish have the potential to live indefinitely...

BigV 01-28-2011 12:45 PM

I learned how to request control using MS's Remote Assistance system.

10000x harder than needed. *not* intuitive, to me.

Clodfobble 01-29-2011 09:48 AM

Earlier this week I learned that one of the lesser-known tenets of Mormonism is that each family is supposed to keep at least a year's worth of food in storage, for "hard times." This was explained to me by a socially abrupt redhead girl of about 13 or so, who was working with me to unload the truck that had just delivered our new co-op's food order. (I got a ton of organic produce for half the price of our local stores, while her family was getting 25-lb. bags of flour, cornmeal, that sort of thing.)

She and her 8 siblings were wearing homemade clothes.

I was unfortunately wearing my "What Would Batman Do?" t-shirt.

Griff 01-29-2011 10:44 AM

I'm sure you represented an alternate reality which she will tuck away for future reference.

ZenGum 01-29-2011 05:54 PM

I don't know about a year's worth, but at least a couple of weeks is a good idea. It was amazing in the recent floods to see car loads of adults driving around in frustration ... '"we just want to buy some milk!!!". Supplies had been cut for about three days.

footfootfoot 01-29-2011 06:21 PM

I learned that if you want to make the first turn sledding down Don's driveway you really have to lean way over and jam the steering for all your worth. THEN you can really carve a nice turn.

Also you have to hug the inside.

zippyt 01-29-2011 08:27 PM

Foot My Moms drive way was the Same way , You had to start on the EXTREAM left , Long Sweeping turn from Left to right . and catch the Edge of the side walk or yer Tumbling accross the Ashfault , been there Done that , Advised the nepheu on the Skate board , he tumbled ,then Listened to me and Made it

wolf 01-29-2011 08:53 PM

Store Brand bacon really isn't worth it, even if it is on really good sale. Stick with the local stuff, or the Oscar Mayer.