The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gravdigr's Questions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26547)

Gravdigr 12-21-2011 04:19 PM

Gravdigr's Questions

Got answers? Well, I've got questions. I'm looking for actual, useful answers, even though the question may seem silly.

This is just the beginning:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)?

2. Sometimes I click to go to the next page in a Cellar thread, but, there is no next page, it just loads the same page again. Why?

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine?

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten?

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")?

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller?

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale?

Sheldonrs 12-21-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 782015)
Got answers? Well, I've got questions. I'm looking for actual, useful answers, even though the question may seem silly.

This is just the beginning:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)?
Yes. BM. It's HUGE!

2. Sometimes I click to go to the next page in a Cellar thread, but, there is no next page, it just loads the same page again. Why?
Precog paging system.

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine?
Yes, when you come around again.

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten?
His name is Gerald.

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")?
Because They are very handy (Palmy).

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller?
No, but their jail cels are.

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale?

Erectile dysfunction.

Rhianne 12-21-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" ?

M

regular.joe 12-21-2011 04:59 PM

LOL...and I wonder if those were serious questions, if they were I hope you did not expect serious questions in this Cellar.

The cells are all the same size in us humans there are just more of em in larger people.

TonyE 12-21-2011 05:15 PM

5/ Brits don't take offence at being called poms. We know that those Aussie convicts don't know any better :)

To be fair, some good things have come out of Australia such as Kylie, Natalie Imbruglia and Nicole Kidman. But they have also given us Rolf Harris. A plea to any Aussies out there, you have left him with us Brits long enough, please take him back...

sexobon 12-21-2011 05:19 PM

Not above the noise the treadmill is making at that speed.

zippyt 12-21-2011 05:27 PM

Pommy stands for Prisoner of Mother England,
its what the guards called the folks taken to Aus
then the Aus folks started refering to any body from the UK as Pommys
I could be wrong but in the Early 80 saying Fuck the Queen in Pearth Aus would get yer Ass kicked in a Bar

ZenGum 12-21-2011 06:03 PM

1. No.

5. There are several theories. Possibly from the acronym POHM, short for Prisoner of His (/Her) Majesty (Zippy scores 9/10 for that). Another theory relates it to the French pomme, apple, referring to the skin colour of Brits when they get some proper sun.

Zippy, I guess that would depend on the bar. In some pubs, standing up and shouting anything is interpreted as "I'm in the mood for a fight, any takers?"

infinite monkey 12-21-2011 06:19 PM

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)? I do not know.

I think it has something to do with when someone deletes a post. I've seen it too.

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine? I do not know.

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten? The obligatory hobo.

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")? I do not know.

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller? No.

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale? You must get real cookies. Chips Ahoy never change states of matter.

glatt 12-21-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Yes. The sound will pass through the solid frame of the plane's body.

If the engine was somehow isolated from the body of the plane so that it was truly exterior to the plane, you would not hear it if you were sitting in front of it, or if you were sitting beside it, but you would hear it if you were sitting behind it. There is a sonic boom coming from the engine and that boom is a diagonal line going backwards from the engine in a cone at 67.5 degrees behind perpendicular to the plane's travel. If your seat is within that cone, you will hear the engine, and if it's in front of that cone you will not.

It's easier to draw than explain. It has to do with how fast the sound travels and how far the plane moves during the same time.

glatt 12-21-2011 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture I found.

Picture the engine being located at the point of this cone.
If you are in front of the point, you will never hear it, if you are beside the point, you will never hear it, but in some places behind the point, you will hear it.

The cone get pointier the faster you go, and at 2 times the speed of sound I'm pretty sure it would be 67.5 degrees behind perpendicular.

Gravdigr 12-22-2011 03:03 AM

:lol2: Gerald. For some reason, that just tickled the shit outta me.

:p:

Gravdigr 12-23-2011 02:56 PM

***NEW QUESTION***

8. Does a man with only one eye pay full price for an eye exam?

TheMercenary 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 782031)

Not above the noise the treadmill is making at that speed.

:lol2:

TheMercenary 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 782536)

Twice the price, since the single price is actually for a two eye exam.

ZenGum 12-23-2011 05:02 PM

So, a man with no eyes pays an infinite amount for an eye exam? Holy moly, your health care system is soooo screwed up... :)

HungLikeJesus 12-23-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 782536)

No, because in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and the King doesn't pay for health care.

TheMercenary 12-23-2011 09:02 PM

:lol: I just had to lol at HLJ. You are the bomb.

BigV 12-24-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 782577)
No, because in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and the King doesn't pay for health care.

Is this why he can get away with wearing the Emperor's clothes?

classicman 12-24-2011 03:27 PM

Anybody hear the one about the blind mean who entered the store while swinging his seeing-eye-dog above his head?
The clerk asked if he was ok.
Sure he said, just having a look around.

infinite monkey 12-24-2011 03:29 PM

I see, said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Gravdigr 01-23-2014 01:27 PM

***New Question***

Quote:

It is the largest natural satellite of a planet in the Solar System relative to the size of its primary, having 27% the diameter and 60% the density of Earth, resulting in 1⁄81 its mass.
How does one pronounce that fraction of the Earth's mass?

Sheldonrs 01-23-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 890592)
How does one pronounce that fraction of the Earth's mass?

one eighty oneth you thmuck! lol

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2014 01:45 PM

1.23 per cent. :bolt:

Gravdigr 01-23-2014 01:59 PM

That'th not a fraction.

glatt 01-23-2014 01:59 PM

I don't know about that, but kids today say "one fourth" instead of "one quarter." At least in my hood. And I can see how that makes sense.

But you would think they would also say "one second" instead of "one half," but they don't. They're still saying "one half." "One second" might be confused with "one sixtieth" because there are sixty seconds in a minute, and sixty seconds in a degree.

I'd say 1/81 is "one eighty-first."

Molasar 01-23-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 890607)

of course it is!

Clodfobble 01-23-2014 04:25 PM

In the world of educational software audio narration, they would usually ask for something like that to be read, "one over eighty-one."

You want to know pain, try saying "Four-sixths plus two-sixths equals six-sixths" in one take. And you can't slur the syllables to make the sixths just sound like "six," you have to clearly get that x-th-s progression with your tongue each time.

lumberjim 01-23-2014 04:44 PM

one eightywunth

i'd say one in eightyone or one OF eightyone

DanaC 01-23-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

It is the largest natural satellite of a planet in the Solar System relative to the size of its primary, having 27% the diameter and 60% the density of Earth, resulting in 1 in 81 of its mass.
That doesn't work. I change it to a smaller fraction, like 1/3 - 'resulting in one third of its mass'

It has to be 1/81st, surely?

Sheldonrs 01-23-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 890643)
That doesn't work. I change it to a smaller fraction, like 1/3 - 'resulting in one third of its mass'

It has to be 1/81st, surely?

Don't call him Shirley! :D

Gravdigr 01-27-2014 02:48 PM

***New Question***

If poison goes out of date, is it more, or, less poisonous?

And, yes, I know it will still be poison, more or less.

fargon 01-27-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 890607)
I don't know about that, but kids today say "one fourth" instead of "one quarter." At least in my hood. And I can see how that makes sense.

But you would think they would also say "one second" instead of "one half," but they don't. They're still saying "one half." "One second" might be confused with "one sixtieth" because there are sixty seconds in a minute, and sixty seconds in a degree.

There are 60 seconds in a minute of angle, and 60 minutes in a degree.

Gravdigr 01-27-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 891244)
...and 60 minutes in a degree.

Is this why time seems to stand still when it's really hot?

glatt 01-27-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 891244)
There are 60 seconds in a minute of angle, and 60 minutes in a degree.

Or course you are right! Thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

orthodoc 01-28-2014 07:02 PM

Yes, 1/81 is 'one eighty-first'.

Re poison ... depends on the poison. Some break down and lose potency (but no one here would know about that, right?). Others remain lethal to the end. ;)

lumberjim 01-28-2014 07:39 PM

how about iocaine powder?

orthodoc 01-28-2014 07:46 PM

That requires slow, careful acclimatization, patience and appreciation needed; then you defeat the egotist (inconceivable!!) and win the Princess.

Spexxvet 01-29-2014 08:15 AM

thread drift: my favorite line, which was prescient

Quote:

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Gravdigr 02-03-2014 12:47 PM

***New Question***

Why are circuit boards (especially the older ones) green?

infinite monkey 02-03-2014 01:59 PM

That's solder mask, protecting the circuitry (etched copper) from scratches and from solder wicking and shorts and corrosion. When producing circuit boards (I was QA supervisor at a high tech board manufacturer back in the day) the copper layer is etched into the circuitry pattern, then solder mask applied, then sent through a solder bath system with air knives to coat the exposed copper surfaces in solder, those surfaces being either through-hole or surface mount areas for components (typically a tin/lead alloy.) The mask prevents a big old mess of solder covered copper for that process.

That's it in a nutshell anyway. The green mask isn't always used: we made some boards coated in gold plating, and some the exposed laminate was left that way. Depends on the application and intricacy of the board. Don't know why green is the color, but when I worked in the industry it was all green.

tw 02-03-2014 11:40 PM

When working with circuit boards, you never get out of the shop. It's the only green you get to see.

Clodfobble 02-04-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey
That's solder mask, protecting the circuitry (etched copper) from scratches and from solder wicking and shorts and corrosion. When producing circuit boards (I was QA supervisor at a high tech board manufacturer back in the day) the copper layer is etched into the circuitry pattern, then solder mask applied, then sent through a solder bath system with air knives to coat the exposed copper surfaces in solder, those surfaces being either through-hole or surface mount areas for components (typically a tin/lead alloy.) The mask prevents a big old mess of solder covered copper for that process.

That's it in a nutshell anyway. The green mask isn't always used: we made some boards coated in gold plating, and some the exposed laminate was left that way. Depends on the application and intricacy of the board. Don't know why green is the color, but when I worked in the industry it was all green.

Holy shit, infi. This post was amazing. I love it when I discover that someone is secretly an expert in something you wouldn't expect. Like classicman and mushrooms.

DanaC 02-04-2014 07:54 AM

Inf hides so many lights under a bushel it's damn near daylight under there :P

infinite monkey 02-04-2014 08:01 AM

Does my desperate lifestyle show when I say you two just made my day?

:blush:

footfootfoot 02-04-2014 11:11 AM

What is mushrooms an expert at?

Clodfobble 02-04-2014 11:34 AM

Your mom.

infinite monkey 02-04-2014 01:30 PM

*snorted out loud*

glatt 02-04-2014 02:18 PM

me too

footfootfoot 02-04-2014 04:01 PM

Your mom is so expert she

Gravdigr 12-13-2018 01:38 PM

Five (5) New Questions

One was chosen at random. Random. Get it?

1. Let's assume that you won't die from being in space with no suit, everything else is normal. If ya fart really hard, will ya go tootling through space (figuratively)? Could ya move from the propelling force of a fart in the vacuum of space? What if ya drink like six Bud Lights and then pee, in space?

2. Y'know when ya open that bottle of Bud Light/Caffeine Free Pepsi there's the little cloud of, what I assume to be, carbon dioxide in the neck of the bottle? I don't drink that cloud, I put a gentle puff of breath into the bottle to blow that little cloud away. Which has more co2, the little cloud, or the puff of used air that blows it out of the bottle?

3. You're in weightless space, and you're messing around with a blob of water floating in front of you. Is it surface tension that holds the blob together? If there was a pressure sensor inside the blob of water would it register anything?

4. If the blob of water (^above^) was big enough, could you swim in it in space? Or would ya just be moving water around?

5. Where was it the last time you saw it?

Gravdigr 12-13-2018 01:41 PM

:corn:

Happy Monkey 12-13-2018 01:57 PM

1. Yes, you'd move. Probably not much, though, even for a world champion farter. So it depends on how fast you consider "tootling" to be. Pee: Better, but still not great.

2. No idea.

3. I believe hydrogen bonding holds it together, while surface tension pulls it into a sphere. The pressure sensor would probably register something, based on the "pulling into a sphere", rather than the "holding together". Plus, assuming it is done in a spaceship, it would add in the air pressure around it.

Outside of a spaceship, it would simultaneously boil, outgas, and freeze, so it wouldn't hold together well, but there may be large clumps, which would then start evaporating (sublimating). A pressure sensor in one clump would register pressure, since water freezes from the outside in, and ice is larger than water, so assuming the sensor isn't actually exposed by a crack, it would be compressed by the ice's expansion during freezing.

4. It's all relative. You would move forward relative to the water, and move the water backward relative to you. The center of mass of you and the water combined would remain still. If the water blob is considerably heavier than you, you would appear to be swimming in it by an outside observer. I suspect, but do not know or certain, that if you stopped swimming, you would drift to the center as it resumed a spherical shape.

5. Presumably right where I left it, but I don't remember where that was.

glatt 12-13-2018 02:05 PM

1. Let's assume that you won't die from being in space with no suit, everything else is normal. If ya fart really hard, will ya go tootling through space (figuratively)? Could ya move from the propelling force of a fart in the vacuum of space? What if ya drink like six Bud Lights and then pee, in space?
Absolutely. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I imagine it would be difficult to control your course, but there would be movement.

2. Y'know when ya open that bottle of Bud Light/Caffeine Free Pepsi there's the little cloud of, what I assume to be, carbon dioxide in the neck of the bottle? I don't drink that cloud, I put a gentle puff of breath into the bottle to blow that little cloud away. Which has more co2, the little cloud, or the puff of used air that blows it out of the bottle?

I'm going to say it's the little cloud. Your breath (if you haven't been holding your breath and letting it build up) doesn't have very much carbon dioxide in it. Otherwise CPR wouldn't work.

3. You're in weightless space, and you're messing around with a blob of water floating in front of you. Is it surface tension that holds the blob together? If there was a pressure sensor inside the blob of water would it register anything?

Good question. I don't know. I would guess that if it was sensitive enough, it would sense pressure, because of both the surface tension and minute amount of gravity within the blob of water, pulling it together.

4. If the blob of water (^above^) was big enough, could you swim in it in space? Or would ya just be moving water around?

This is the squirrel and hunter question in disguise.

If I remembered that, I would know where it is.

Undertoad 12-13-2018 02:13 PM

1. Not only that, but -- I think it's the case that if you have a very large supply of farts, each consecutive fart would accelerate you a little faster until you were moving just below the speed of light.

5. Center console compartment of the car. Pretty sure I took it out of there and put it on my desk but...

Happy Monkey 12-13-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1020910)

Alternate reading of these questions: I last saw it in the movie "Passengers", where Jennifer Lawrence is swimming in a pool in a spaceship when it loses gravity.

Gravdigr 12-13-2018 03:08 PM

Is that the one where the dude wakes her up like 90 yrs early from suspended animation/hibernation/whatever-the-word-is-that-I-CANNOT-come-up-with-atm?

Happy Monkey 12-13-2018 04:29 PM

Yes, that's the one. Maybe you were thinking of cryonics or stasis? Sci-fi universes can have their own terms, too, like "hypersleep".

BigV 12-13-2018 07:45 PM

Good answers

I concur.

Clodfobble 12-13-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I'm going to say it's the little cloud. Your breath (if you haven't been holding your breath and letting it build up) doesn't have very much carbon dioxide in it. Otherwise CPR wouldn't work.

Definitely the cloud--it's pure CO2, having come from a physical pressure change that releases only dissolved CO2 from the liquid. An exhaled breath is mostly normal air (i.e., still mostly nitrogen) that your alveoli didn't interact with. (Googled it for an exact number: roughly 4-5% CO2 in an average exhale.)