The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What was the most recent movie you watched via TV, DVD, dowload, or stream. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29405)

John Sellers 09-19-2013 01:48 PM

What was the most recent movie you watched via TV, DVD, download, or stream.

For my first post, I'm actually gonna list several cuz I've watched a lotta shit since I posted here all 'ose months ago.
  • Star Trek (2009)
  • Star Trek: Into Darkness
  • Kick-Ass
  • Strangeland
  • All 3 Harold & Kumar movies
  • All 3 Transformers movies
  • The Time Machine (1960)
  • The Time Machine (2002)
  • Clash Of The Titans (2010)
  • Wrath Of The Titans
  • Spaceballs
  • Spiders (2013)
  • Nicky Deuce
  • The first 4 Twilight movies
  • Thor
  • All 3 Chris Nolan Batman movies
  • Total Recall (1990)
  • Total Recall (2012)
  • All 3 Back To The Future movies
  • Battleship

BigV 09-19-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sellers (Post 826360)
And I'm talkin' straight-up over-the-air/cable/satellite TV, not watchin' movies via streaming or download services on TV.

Ok, now that I got that out of the way...

[begin]

Real Steel on Encore east

Awesome!

so, how do you like your new broadband connection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sellers (Post 876490)
For my first post, I'm actually gonna list several cuz I've watched a lotta shit since I posted here all 'ose months ago.
  • Star Trek (2009)
  • Star Trek: Into Darkness
  • Kick-Ass
  • Strangeland
  • All 3 Harold & Kumar movies
  • All 3 Transformers movies
  • The Time Machine (1960)
  • The Time Machine (2002)
  • Clash Of The Titans (1981)
  • Clash Of The Titans (2010)
  • Wrath Of The Titans
  • Spaceballs
  • Spiders (2013)
  • Nicky Deuce
  • The first 4 Twilight movies
  • Thor
  • All 3 Chris Nolan Batman movies
  • Total Recall (1990)
  • Total Recall (2012)
  • All 3 Back To The Future movies
  • Battleship

John Sellers 09-19-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 876491)
so, how do you like your new broadband connection?

Where'd you get that idea? I've had Bellsouth DSL since February 2005.

[Augment:] Most of the movies on my list were watched on the various premium channels I get.

BigV 09-19-2013 02:51 PM

Then why were you making a distinction between programming via the internet vs cable/satellite/OTA in your almost identical thread starter from back in the day?

John Sellers 09-19-2013 03:05 PM

I'm just expanding the parameters, that all.

My list does also contain download movies.

DanaC 01-20-2014 05:42 AM

I don't often watch movies these days. TV series have just got so good in recent years that I find them much more interesting. But every so often I get the movie bug. So, I've watched several in the last week or so and have a bunch more I want to watch soon. Here are the highlights.

The World's End: third in The Cornetto Trilogy. Liked it a lot. Very different pace and flavour to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Kind of bitter sweet. (actually watched this over the new year, but rewatched it last week)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: I avoided this when it first came out. I have very strong memories of the tv serial (as for most of the Smiley stories). Couldn't see how a movie could get across the complexity or depth of the books, the way the tv serial managed to do. But I finally decided it was time and went for it. What an excellent adaptation. Beautifully shot, directed and acted. Gary Oldman now is Smiley for me.

Skyfall: really enjoyed this. I've liked all the Daniel Craig era of Bond. Saw both his previous ones at the cinema, which is a very rare thing for me. The first one I thought was spectacular, the second was ridiculous, but still fun. This was a much more sober and thoughtful outing (though obviously, there was enough overblown nonsense for it to still be Bond!). Fantastic performances from Craig and Judy Dench.

Pamela 01-24-2014 03:38 PM

MIB 3
Flight (better than I expected)
Boys Don't Cry
Battleship (improbable doesn't even BEGIN to cover this stinker)
Mister Roberts

Gravdigr 01-24-2014 03:59 PM

Been watching 'Weeds' on Netflix.

Re-watched 'Hondo'.

Suffered through 'Man of Steel', I can still smell this stinker.

'Man of Steel' was the second-worst movie of 2013, according to some website/news article. The worst (according to them) was 'The Lone Ranger', which was one of the better movies I watched last year. I. Loved. This. Movie.

Especially the sabre-toothed rabbits. That was my favorite part, really.

Elspode 01-24-2014 11:44 PM

I have a lot of downloaded stuff on tap, but the most recent I've watched is "Red 2". Huge fun.

Tomorrow night, "Captain Phillips".

slang 01-25-2014 12:51 AM

Not a movie here but a tv series; Dexter season 7.

Viewed via ITunes. Not as cheap as Netflix but can be used in all Apple devices. Very handy for defeating third world boredom and brings many people to our house to watch tv.

Dexter season 7 is good. Not the best IMO but it is still Dexter. My favorite was season 4 with John Lithgow.

Any other Dexter fans here?

Griff 01-25-2014 09:08 AM

No Dexter here, watching Arrow.

Clodfobble 01-25-2014 10:02 AM

Watched "Blackfish" the other morning. I'd heard enough about it that there were no big surprises, but it was good to watch. Convincing.

orthodoc 01-26-2014 12:06 AM

I saw 'Blackfish' recently, as well. While I was at OSHA in DC last fall, folks there were very invested in the documentary; some of them had worked on the legal case against Sea World. I was constantly impressed by the energy (passion) and dedication of the people at OSHA. Not your stereotypical government agency.

Recently watched 'World Without End' on Netflix; very good. Also saw 'American Hustle' tonight. Excellent acting, but overall a depressing tale. And the Mob remained a loose end.

Gravdigr 01-26-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 890845)
...Red2...Tomorrow night, "Captain Phillips".

Just saw 'Red2' the other night, very good, but, I like the first one better.

Saw 'Captain Phillips' too. Much better than I was expecting. Tom Hanks is just an outstanding actor, I'll see anything he's in.

Dude111 10-22-2015 01:39 AM

The last movie I watched was DOUBLE JEOPARDY (1999) on VHS :)

Gravdigr 01-16-2019 11:14 AM

I've been watching a lot of Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube. Some of them are really, really interesting. Two of the more interesting episodes have been his 66 Lincoln Continental Convertible (the top, and it's system are simply amazing), and his 71 Citroen (lot of firsts on this car, and it's just so quirky, I want one of these cars. Didn't know they were so interesting.)

glatt 01-16-2019 12:52 PM

I was friends with a guy in Germany in 82 who had a Citroen 2CV, and I got a chance to ride around in it a lot. That was a fun little car. Not fast, but a ton of fun.

Gravdigr 01-16-2019 09:28 PM

I shoulda said that one was a DS.

Citroen was ahead of the game on a lot of stuff.

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2019 10:59 PM

The Citroen DS was a high end luxury car and the 2CV was the other end. Two (tax) horsepower, and the early ones had two gas tanks which were inside on the floor under each front seat. :eek:

Gravdigr 01-17-2019 02:23 PM

Well, what could go wrong?

BigV 01-19-2019 12:24 AM

Twenty three minutes and seventeen seconds away from the end of S1E10 of The Haunting of Hill House

Clodfobble 01-20-2019 04:49 PM

Watched one of the competing Fyre Festival documentaries (there's one on Netflix and one on Hulu, but based on the Onion A.V. Club's recommendation I went with the one on Netflix.) I knew the thing was a clusterfuck, but even so there were moments in the story that were just mindblowing. Highly recommended.

Also, there's this British show called Taskmaster that the BBC is too stingy to let Americans have, so I've had to stream it on DailyMotion, of all things. Beyond hysterically funny. Makes me want to live in the UK, it's so damn good.

DanaC 01-20-2019 05:28 PM

It's not the BBC being stingy - Taskmaster is on the Dave channel

glatt 01-20-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1023639)
Watched one of the competing Fyre Festival documentaries (there's one on Netflix and one on Hulu, but based on the Onion A.V. Club's recommendation I went with the one on Netflix.) I knew the thing was a clusterfuck, but even so there were moments in the story that were just mindblowing. Highly recommended.

I watched that last night. And ditto.

glatt 01-20-2019 05:40 PM

I was amazed that even as the guests arrive, they are still trying to pull it off.

Clodfobble 01-20-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1023643)
It's not the BBC being stingy - Taskmaster is on the Dave channel

I know that this is a factual statement, but nonetheless, in my head all British TV is BBC.

Griff 01-21-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1023639)

Also, there's this British show called Taskmaster that the BBC is too stingy to let Americans have, so I've had to stream it on DailyMotion, of all things. Beyond hysterically funny. Makes me want to live in the UK, it's so damn good.

I never heard about any of this until somebody reported the competing documentaries, almost like that content was the point of the whole thing...

Clodfobble 01-21-2019 08:01 AM

I haven't looked into it, but supposedly one of them was produced by the same folks who marketed the original festival, in which case a fake rivalry is definitely within the purview of their usual marketing schemes.

glatt 01-21-2019 09:02 AM

Clod, I am pretty sure that you and I saw the one done by the marketing people, which is actually good because it means they had access to tons footage.

Happy Monkey 06-01-2019 10:48 PM

The Deadwood movie was quite good.

As is "Good Omens" so far, which I'm halfway through.

BigV 06-02-2019 10:35 AM

Both are on my "watch now" list. I started "Good Omens" last night, quite enjoyable!

Griff 06-03-2019 06:35 AM

We're back on American Gods and as soon as Pete finishes Good Omens we'll get after that. Both books were excellent and the same goes for the tv by all account. We finished the recent season of Star Trek Discovery a while back, that was really brilliant.

Clodfobble 06-03-2019 06:15 PM

Well if we're talking TV series, then "Ramy" is extremely good.

Gravdigr 06-08-2019 11:17 AM

Wanda Sykes' Not Normal, on NetFlix.

It was great.

Griff 06-08-2019 07:35 PM

The Barkley Marathons. This was really good.

glatt 06-08-2019 08:14 PM

Yeah. That's a good one. My son was on a roll for a while there playing it over and over.

Clodfobble 06-08-2019 08:32 PM

Fleabag! Except all of you would probably dislike it. But I love it. LOVE IT. Absolutely unique and amazing show.

glatt 06-08-2019 09:12 PM

And my daughter was just talking about flea bag tonight. It's coming up after this Bad Omens show.

Peterdowe 06-11-2019 05:10 PM

Just watched the newest season of "Black Mirror" on Netflix. That show never fails to deliver.

Clodfobble 06-11-2019 08:10 PM

I think I might be the only person on the planet who thinks that show is derivative, preachy, and a sophomore RTF student's wet dream...

Happy Monkey 06-11-2019 10:00 PM

In other words, an anthology show?

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1033929)
a sophomore RTF student's wet dream...

You make that sound like a bad thing. ;)

DanaC 06-12-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1033929)
I think I might be the only person on the planet who thinks that show is derivative, preachy, and a sophomore RTF student's wet dream...

I loved the first couple series. I haven't been drawn as much to the NetFlix series.

The clips I've seen look decent, but don't feel very much like Black Mirror to me. They feel different. Though that may just be the trailer style.

Out of interest, which episodes have you seen?

DanaC 06-12-2019 11:59 AM

Series 1 trailer:

Season 3 trailer (1st Netflix)

Based purely on a few trailers and odd clips, so possibly unfair, but the Netflix series seems to make things explicit in a way that the original didn't.

Gravdigr 06-12-2019 12:14 PM

Was there an early episode of that show where the Prime Minister/whatever was coerced into having relations with a partner of the porcine variety?

DanaC 06-12-2019 12:17 PM

First episode.

Gravdigr 06-12-2019 12:57 PM

Only one I've seen.:lol2:

Meant to go back to it, must have seen something shiny, and got distracted.

DanaC 06-12-2019 01:47 PM

I must at some point try the Netflix ones. They're probably very good. I'm also curious to see the stylistic and pacing differences.

There were one or two that didn't grab me as much in the original series, like the Waldo Moment (thought kinda prescient now in some ways) - but some were fucking brilliant.

15 Million Credits was awesome. White Rabbit was disturbing but brilliant. And the Christmas special, with Jon Hamm was a real head fuck.

Clodfobble 06-12-2019 04:16 PM

The "PM fucking a pig" one was good. Didn't see the ending coming, and it was a more subtle message of "look what you miss out on" rather than "hurdy-dur those damn sheeple spend too much time on their phones! They'll get what's coming to them..." It's the only one so far that felt like it could really happen.

I watched maybe 2 or 3 episodes after that, can't remember anything notable about them because, well, I can't remember anything notable about them. I know there was one about people who live in tiny rooms covered with ad screens and ride stationary bicycles for an evil corporation. It was super heavy-handed, not remotely realistic, and I remember thinking the relationship between the two main characters was painfully weak and unjustified.

Then just a couple days ago, I hand-picked "Smithereens" from the middle of the most recent season--because it starred Andrew Scott and I'm hot and bothered for him right now because of Fleabag--and unfortunately he was the only redeeming part of it.

[Highlight for spoilers]
It started okay--the idea of an Uber driver stalking a particular type of rider is interesting, and not something an old-fashioned taxi driver could really pull off. And his panicked "oh shit I had a super well-thought-out plan and it's gone totally awry" monologue was really nicely done, right up until they started shoehorning in lines about 'everyone's always got their screens in their faces!' as if his core motivation were about others and not himself, which of course it eventually was revealed to be. Then they went on these long, self-fellating demonstrations of the Facebook-analogue's super scary technology, like we don't know that text-to-speech algorithms exist, or how easy it is to Google people's names. And then of course Topher Grace's character was super genuine and well-intentioned, just naive and regretful, because he's supposed to represent Us--we just didn't know, we never meant for it to go this far--as if his whining explanation and resolve to do something is the catalyst that will finally get all of us Audience Sheeple on the path of moderation and clean living.

And then! The dude's final act is to secure the password for his Bereavement Group friend, which is depicted as a truly kind and worthwhile thing, without the slightest examination of the woman's desperate need to read her daughter's inbox--an urge that's questionable in both utility and nobility, and one she never could have fulfilled pre-technology. That's what they could have spent time on and built a real episode around: how modern technology has actually changed the process of grieving, rather than preaching yet again about how tech is scary and manipulative and always in the wrong hands.

Sigh. Anyway. I'm on a rant, and "Smithereens" wasn't a complete waste of an hour. I just don't think the show is nearly as earth-shattering as other people do.

BigV 06-12-2019 08:28 PM

Just finished ep 2 of Chernobyl

JFC

Highly effective storytelling.

Good lord

Peterdowe 06-13-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

"Was there an early episode of that show where the Prime Minister/whatever was coerced into having relations with a partner of the porcine variety?"
Man, I would never forget that episode, for obvious reasons.

Gravdigr 06-14-2019 07:13 AM

I Am Mother, and Rim of the World, on NetFlix.

I Am Mother was better, between the two of them. Rim of the World is more of a kid's movie than Mother, but some of the language (spoken by the kids) kinda surprised me:

Quote:

You mean that thing put it's dick in my mouth?!
:eek:

I think referencing a dick being put into a child's mouth is a bit much.

Gravdigr 06-14-2019 07:15 AM

Oh, and a Chinese movie, The Wandering Earth:

I watched this movie based solely on the title. Great movie title.

Literally, two solid hours of special effects, I'm not sure there is a genuine live-action scene in the whole movie. This flick grossed $691,000,000 in China alone.

English audio available, btw.

Griff 06-17-2019 11:28 AM

Chernobyl. This was powerful. Now I need a good book on the subject.

DanaC 06-21-2019 05:43 PM

Late to the party, I just started watching The Crown. The acting is wonderful - every character so well cast. Not obvious casting either - I mean, John Lithgow as Churchill?

I didn't watch when it aired because Matt Smith was still too much the Doctor in my head. Wow, though, is he brilliant as Philip?

And Foy's Elizabeth is awesome. So's the king (can't recall the actor's name)

Beautifully made show.

Gravdigr 06-25-2019 01:49 PM

I watched the other two episodes of Black Mirror's first season. Meh. I don't think I'll be able to watch these.

I did, however, watch (part of) a Tom Segura stand-up show last night. Quite funny.

Also, I'm caught up on all the Jay Leno's Garage off of YouTube. Am now watching The Straight Pipes (new car drives and reviews).

Peterdowe 07-11-2019 02:15 PM

Anyone seen the new season of Stranger Things? Is it as good as the recent seasons?

Glinda 07-11-2019 09:03 PM

Turned on the tube the other day and Tremors 6 had just started. I had to watch. :rolleyes:

I've never seen numbers 3-5.Tremors 2 was so sucky, I never had an interest in seeing more. But this one was actually pretty good. :cool:

Gravdigr 07-11-2019 09:45 PM

I'm watching Designated Survivor on NetFlix.

I'm halfway through the 2nd season.

It's, like, ten times better than I thought it might be. I just decided to try an episode, while I was cooking. It's pretty predictable, but still manages to entertain. Second season is a little more soap opera. The first was pretty damn good.

Also, Kiefer Sutherland is a much better actor than I thought.

Glinda 07-11-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1035482)
I'm watching Designated Survivor on NetFlix.

I'm halfway through the 2nd season.

It's, like, ten times better than I thought it might be. I just decided to try an episode, while I was cooking. It's pretty predictable, but still manages to entertain. Second season is a little more soap opera. The first was pretty damn good.

Also, Kiefer Sutherland is a much better actor than I thought.

I loved that series, but it just died about two-thirds of the way through. Was it cancelled? I never got to see a final episode. :greenface