The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "Tomorrow is another day." (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30569)

Undertoad 12-19-2014 07:28 AM

"Tomorrow is another day."

I had a boss who would say that every single night. We would leave the office together, and as we'd be getting into our cars, as a way of saying goodbye, he'd say "Well, tomorrow is another day. See ya."

This is one of those statements that you make that, when logically analyzed, means nothing at all. Yes, by its very definition, tomorrow, not being today, is another day. We could not say "Tomorrow is the same day. See ya."

Unless we were Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

The only other similar phrase that comes to mind is "It is what it is," which seems to have gained popularity amongst people I come into contact with, over the last decade. "It is what it is" is even more a statement of nothing at all.

Although... maybe I've underestimated this. Maybe it's a sincere attack on nihilism, or a recognition of basic logic. A=A, Ayn Rand would remind us, and then use that as the leaping-off point for just about any other philosophical meandering.

It is what it is: hence, tomorrow is another day.

glatt 12-19-2014 07:39 AM

Context is important. Those phrases mean nothing, but in context, they can mean a lot. "Tomorrow is another day" can mean you get to pull out the eraser and erase the chalkboard to start over again tomorrow. There may be a ghost of an image here and there to remind you of yesterday, but tomorrow is a chance at a new start.

footfootfoot 12-19-2014 09:09 AM

Word for the day: Tautology

My philosophy professor in college gave the example of his GF telling him "You shouldn't over cook the fish." Implicit in the phrase, over cook, is the the injunction against doing that, hence shouldn't.

There are other examples in the link.

In the meantime, keep on keepin' on. ;)

infinite monkey 12-19-2014 09:09 AM

I think they're both just part of a larger set of colloquialisms we use to remind ourselves to not sweat the small stuff, to realize that which does not kill you makes you stronger, that where there's life, there's hope (that one always made me laugh.)

We tell ourselves there's always tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow, and tomorrow is another day. So are Tuesday and Wednesday. But frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I'm off to face the world with my eternal optimism, wearing my rose-colored glasses, to boldly go where no man has gone before...not since yesterday, to stop and smell the roses that would, by any other name, still smell as sweet.

It's all in a day's work, and at the end of the day (I REALLY wish people would stop using that one), everything's coming up roses.

Gravdigr 12-19-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 916722)
Unless we were Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

Or, unless we're Gravdigr, in Kentucky.

Should be "Tomorrow is just another day.".

:neutral:

DanaC 12-19-2014 04:38 PM

'It is what it is' is a phrase I use often. It's a bit like saying 'that's just the way it is', and it also means that you can only deal with what it is, not what you would like it to be. And sometimes it means, 'it's ok, no biggie'.

sexobon 12-19-2014 06:16 PM

Well, I'll see ya when I see ya; 'cause, it ain't over till it's over.

And that's that.

gvidas 12-19-2014 07:03 PM

I think "tomorrow is another day" is a nice workaday version of the old classic "this too shall pass." If you had a good day, that's swell and all, but you still have to plan for tomorrow. And if you had a crappy day, that sucks, but tomorrow you get to take another pass at it.

"It is what it is" is harder to defend. But the kernel of it which I appreciate is: you have to accept the basic facts of the situation you're in. You can try all the different dressings you want, but if your lettuce is rotting you'll never have a good salad.

I also appreciate that prhase in the way Dana mentioned, i.e. with the unstated preface: "I would prefer this were not the case, but it is what it is."

footfootfoot 12-19-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 916782)
Well, I'll see ya when I see ya; 'cause, it ain't over till it's over.

And that's that.

"I'll see you in the future." Is one that sounds not only lazy but affected. I always treat them with:

And if I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

infinite monkey 12-19-2014 08:41 PM

Imagine it. 1939. Two major movies that would have longevity came out.

One: There's no place like home

Two: After all, tomorrow is another day

It's like there weren't spaceships or car crashes or vampires and everyone is so oblivious.

Meh

Spexxvet 12-20-2014 09:14 AM

"tomorrow is another day" is dumb, but que sera, sera.

Gravdigr 12-20-2014 02:11 PM

Whatever.

sexobon 12-20-2014 02:24 PM

When you're hot, you're hot; when you're not, you're not. [/Flip Wilson]

Gravdigr 12-20-2014 02:57 PM

[/JerryReed]

Undertoad 12-21-2014 10:38 AM

sexobon age reference noted

footfootfoot 12-21-2014 01:08 PM

Sock it to me, sock it to me, here come de judge.

Gravdigr 12-21-2014 02:55 PM

You tell 'em, Geraldine.

BigV 12-23-2014 11:21 AM

It's not his fault.

The Devil made him do it.

BigV 12-23-2014 11:31 AM

A phrase I've found increasingly common and increasingly maddening is offered in reply to one person in a conversation. Person A says something, and Person B replies:

"Yeah, no. Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc."

What the fuck does "Yes. No." mean in that context? It *seems* to mean ... agreement? I hate it. It's the sign of a stalled mind, not just one that needs a moment to select the right gear, as in "um" or "uh"; that one's stopped. It's the conversational equivalent of the dumbass driver at the front of the line for a red light who thinks that's a good time to fire off a text on his fucking phone. The light turns green. His face and interior is lit from the cool white glow from his phone. Our faces are red from all the brake lights. COME TO CLASS IDIOT!

Ok, ok. I'm ok, I'm feeling better now...

Lamplighter 12-23-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 917068)
A phrase I've found increasingly common and increasingly maddening is offered in reply to one person in a conversation. Person A says something, and Person B replies:

What the fuck does "Yes. No." mean in that context? It *seems* to mean ... agreement? I hate it. <snip>...

Yeah, I'm feeling the exact same way.

Spexxvet 12-23-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

What the fuck does "Yes. No." mean in that context?

I hate it, too. I think it means "I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with what you are saying".

Gravdigr 12-23-2014 12:08 PM

"Yes, we have no bananas."

BigV 12-23-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 917077)
"Yes, we have no bananas."

This is a sensible sentence.

"Yeah, no, a monkey eats bananas." is not a sensible sentence, even with the brains of a monkey.

sexobon 12-23-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

... "Yeah, no. Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc."

What the fuck does "Yes. No." mean in that context? ...

I see it used two ways, in differing tones of voice, in both cases meaning disagreement:

Yeah, [but] no can be used appreciatively e.g. Yeah (that's a good thought), [but] no (it can't/shouldn't be implemented) followed by an elaboration. In this case the word Yeah is said in contemplation, stretched out to varying degrees indicating relative worthiness of consideration and the word no is said as a gentle let down.

OTOH, Yeah, no ... can be used dismissively e.g. Yeah, (I acknowledge you said that) [but] no (the thought has no merit) only sometimes followed by an elaboration. In this case Yeah is said sarcastically and no is said abruptly in disapproval.

glatt 12-23-2014 02:00 PM

A: "I understand you hate to have six in needles stabbed into your eyes?"

B: "Yeah, no I hate that."

sexobon 12-23-2014 02:06 PM

You're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down

Griff 12-25-2014 10:26 AM

Yeah, no, I literally hate that.

Sundae 12-25-2014 11:36 AM

I hate "I turned around and said..."
Okay, it's a verbal tic, but the people who use it will almost always say it more than once when relating a conversation, leaving you with the impression they were whirling like a dervish at the time.

lumberjim 12-25-2014 11:16 PM

You can't just call me a cunt, you cunt.

What is this, I don't even.

Stay classy, San Diego.

Thanks for stopping by.

Live life to it's fullest.

I'm going to bed. Sleep well and dream of large women.

Gravdigr 12-26-2014 09:56 AM

Fukkit.

footfootfoot 12-26-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 917088)
I see it used two ways, in differing tones of voice, in both cases meaning disagreement:

Yeah, [but] no can be used appreciatively e.g. Yeah (that's a good thought), [but] no (it can't/shouldn't be implemented) followed by an elaboration. In this case the word Yeah is said in contemplation, stretched out to varying degrees indicating relative worthiness of consideration and the word no is said as a gentle let down.

OTOH, Yeah, no ... can be used dismissively e.g. Yeah, (I acknowledge you said that) [but] no (the thought has no merit) only sometimes followed by an elaboration. In this case Yeah is said sarcastically and no is said abruptly in disapproval.

Someone paid attention in English Comp.

(Are you) coming to dinner?

(You) didn't study for the English Comp test (did you?)

BigV 12-26-2014 04:04 PM

I recently had occasion to ask the utterer of the "Yeah, no...." phrase what he meant when he said it. SonofV didn't offer it in reply at all, he began a new topic of conversation after a brief lull with the phrase. I interrupted him, "stop, stop, stop. When you said that 'yeah, no', what did you mean by it?" He thought, surprised by my question, and said it didn't really mean anything, he was just getting started talking, that it was just a habit.

*That* is the annoying kind.

I can hear tone, inflection, nuance, etc (usually). I can hear sarcasm, implied punctuation, all that I get. Those usages aren't the ones that grate on my ear. It's the kind that SonofV uses, the ones with no meaning that produce a giant eyeroll in my mind, one that often distracts me from what they're really trying to say.

Oh well.

xoxoxoBruce 12-28-2014 01:58 AM

Yeah, I heard you, no, you're wrong.

Yeah, you heard what I said right, no, you don't understand what I meant, what I was referring to, or the meaning of life. Shit you don't even know if the cat is alive. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

BigV 04-09-2015 10:17 AM

"No, totally!"

:facepalm:

It's here, it's a thing, it's growing. *sigh*

Some excerpts from the article:

Quote:

In certain situations, it seems, we have started using “no” to mean “yes.”

Here’s Lena Dunham demonstrating this development, during a conversation with the comedian Marc Maron on his podcast “WTF.” The two are talking about people who reflexively disparage modern art:

MARON: They can look at any painting and go, “Eh.” They can look at a Rothko and go, “Hey, three colors.” And then you want to hit them.
DUNHAM: No, totally.
Quote:

“No, totally.” “No, definitely.” “No, exactly.” “No, yes.” These curious uses turn “no” into a kind of contranym: a word that can function as its own opposite. Out of the million-odd words in the English language, perhaps a hundred have this property. You can seed a field, in which case you are adding seeds, or seed a grape, in which case you are subtracting them. You can be in a fix but find a fix for it. You can alight from a horse to observe a butterfly alighting on a flower.

Such words—also called auto-antonyms, antagonyms, Janus words, and antiologies—can arise for different reasons. Some are just a special kind of homonym; what appears to be one word with two opposite meanings is really two different words with identical spellings and pronunciations.
and...

Quote:

Until the end of the sixteenth century or thereabouts, English had a tidier solution to this problem: we had two words for “no,” which we used in distinct ways. Those two words formed half of what’s called a four-form system of negation and affirmation. If you speak French (or, in a statistical unlikelihood, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, or Icelandic), you are familiar with a three-form system: in French, non can negate anything, oui is used only in response to positively phrased questions or statements, while si is used to contradict questions or statements phrased in the negative. In Franglish:

Would you like to have dinner with me on Friday?
Oui, I’d like that very much.

You don’t like the cilantro pesto I made?
Si, it’s delicious!

Back when English was a four-form system, it, too, had a si—a word used specifically to contradict negative statements. That word was “yes.” To affirm positive statements, you used “yea”:

Shoot, there aren’t any open pubs in Canterbury at this hour.
Yes, there are.

Is Chaucer drunk?
Yea, and passed out on the table.

Similarly, “nay” was used to respond to positive statements or questions, while “no” was reserved for contradicting anything phrased in the negative:

Is the Tabard open?
Nay, it closed at midnight.

Isn’t Chaucer meeting us here?
No, he went home to bed.

Over time, the distinction withered, “yea” and “nay” became obsolete, and “yes” and “no”—the words that started out as special cases, for responding exclusively to negatives—came to hold their current status. Or, as the case may be, statuses.

BigV 04-09-2015 11:13 AM

More

"Yeah, no."

and lots of it.

Quote:

Maybe this protean little phrase is so useful that some people become addicted to it, and for them it becomes lexicalized as a unitary discourse marker simply indicating that an opinion follows, or something of the sort. However, I didn't look to see whether there's a different pattern of usage among people who are especially fond of this sequence, as Matt suggests there might be.
from a subsequently linked post on the same subject:

Quote:

Steve at Language Hat pointed out, in the nicest possible way, that he scooped me back on 6/13/2004 ("Yeah no"). His post cites an article in The Age, which quotes Kate Burridge:

Professor Burridge says the phrase falls into three main categories, each determined by context. The literal agrees before adding another point, the abstract defuses a comment and the textual lets the speaker go back to an earlier point.
I yield. I accept the reality of the presence of this artifact in the language I share with the people I interact with. I hope I can avoid its usage in earnest, though I reserve the right to use it for fun.

I must say I liked learning about contranyms (also called auto-antonyms, antagonyms, Janus words, and antiologies). :) Language is fun!

infinite monkey 04-09-2015 11:34 AM

Yeah it isn't. I mean, no it is.

I mean...yes, I find that language can be interesting and fun, and at the end of the day, I won't take no for an answer. Yeah, I won't.

BigV 04-09-2015 12:09 PM

heheheh...

:nuts:

it 09-13-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 916768)
'It is what it is' is a phrase I use often. It's a bit like saying 'that's just the way it is', and it also means that you can only deal with what it is, not what you would like it to be. And sometimes it means, 'it's ok, no biggie'.

I used to use that one too... A lot. Though usually in the context of judgement.

When I used to analyze the dynamics or social systems and people would then go "that's saying it's corrupted" or "are you saying that isn't genuine"... Sure those statements might be true but they usually weren't what I meant, which focuses on answering "what is it?".

If anything, systems and social dynamics have much better measurements then those - how consistently applicable that dynamic is & under what circumstances, how beautiful it is in it's complexity, how many layers of humor are tucked inside.. The last of which can probably be rephrased for the purpose of this topic as "how good of a sense of humor does a person need to have in order to - despite understanding it - be able to accept that it is what it is".

Only in recent years I have become a hell of a lot more fighty and judgy about ethical things, which I suppose means if I ever time traveled I might need to bring weapons to kill my older self for giving me that "it is what it is" bullshit.

Sure he might be more fit, but I am from the future so obviously I have the advantage. I mean... We have smarter phones now. I bet he wouldn't even survive in flappy bird.

xoxoxoBruce 09-13-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

'that's just the way it is'
That's seeing the folly of trying to change others, change the world.

Quote:

That's the way I am.
This is questionable, you might be trying to justify things about yourself that cause you trouble, make you uncomfortable.

it 09-13-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 938874)
This is questionable, you might be trying to justify things about yourself that cause you trouble, make you uncomfortable.

My personal favorite version of that is:
Quote:

that's the way I roll
:vomit:

Honestly there's a whole can of worms under that sentiment that I can dedicate a few years to hack & slash through while duel wielding large trouts.

I've more or less reached the conclusion that some of the worst aspects humanity has to offer come from people who have a very static idea of who they are. Taken to the point where criticism, negative judgement - from others or their own subconscious - isn't understood as a statement about what they are doing but a complete and unacceptable threat to their moral identity, making it unthinkable and unreachable, in which people define themselves by how good they are too others but do so in spite of how they are experienced by others - since for them a perspective from which they've harmed others is not simply a statement of what they did and how they can strive to do better, it's a statement of who they are indefinitely and have no ability to change it, a perspective that becomes too ugly to consider or acknowledge. It's the worst kind of sickness, leaving no room for personal growth in how they relate to the world or themselves.

BigV 09-14-2015 10:46 AM

"leave me alone, I'm tired of self-examination"