The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need some suggestions... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7235)

Radar 11-16-2004 08:26 PM

I need some suggestions...

Hey guys, I'm going to open my own business. It's not much, but it's something. I want to open a hot dog cart and eventually perhaps several of them. I was trying to think of a creative, and fun name for the business and I was hoping for your suggestions.

Please only respond with real suggestions and not something stupid to de-rail the thread. I'm totally serious here.

So far I think the best one I've thought of is having a cartoon of a dog blowing a trumpet on the logo and calling it "Horn Dogs". "The Weenie Wagon" is probably in second place. At leat they are more subtle than "Eat my weiners!"

You guys are a pretty clever group and your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Paul

Bullitt 11-16-2004 09:15 PM

What kind of audience are you gonna be marketing these dogs to? If its gonna be at your local pro football stadium, horn dogs would be fine, but not if your say, gonna be outside a playground. Ya know?

Radar 11-16-2004 11:06 PM

I'm looking to setup outside of a local carwash, or perhaps at little league games which is ok since kids don't get "horn dogs". I have also been thinking about setting up inside a hardware store if I can find one willing to sell me a contract, inside of flea markets or on busy street corners in industrial areas or downtown Los Angeles, or inside an airport.

I'm just looking around for places I feel confident I can sell 100 combos (2 small dogs & a drink or a jumbo dog, a soda, and a bag of chips) per day.

I am trying to find something snappy, creative, funny, and maybe takes advantage of the whole "weenie" pun

slang 11-16-2004 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar
So far I think the best one I've thought of is having a cartoon of a dog blowing a trumpet on the logo and calling it "Horn Dogs".

Are we suppose to come up with something better than that? It'd be tough, that's a great one.

And.....what's this "Paul" shit? What did you do with Radar!?

Radar 11-16-2004 11:20 PM

Are you sarcastic about "Horn Dogs" being great or do you mean it?

Radar = Paul although I typed it out of reflex without thinking.

slang 11-16-2004 11:29 PM

The Horn Dogs name with a cartoon logo looks very funny in my mind. I'd work more on coming up with a good cartoon than coming up with another name. It works for young and old.

Everyone here has a legal name but I always think of them as their login. Even when I know their real name.

Elspode 11-16-2004 11:30 PM

No..."Horn Dogs" *is* pretty damn good. It would especially catch the eye of the young male crowd. It might actually be rather difficult to take advantage of the whole phallic weiner imagery thing without getting *too* outrageous.

You could maybe go with "Weenies on Wheels" (since you'll be doing a cart biz). Or perhaps "Dogateria"? You could do a cartoon business logo with a cowboy swinging a lariat and call it "Weenie Wodeo" or "Weenie Woundup". "Dogs on the Run"? "Grabadog"? "Weinerama"?

Someone stop me. Please.

slang 11-16-2004 11:33 PM

Calm down Ep. Dont get so into naming Radar's weiners.

The only thing I might suggest in going with the Horn Dogs is to check to see how many thousand other vendors thought that was a cool name too.

Hey. Grabodog is pretty good too now that I actually read the post.

Radar 11-17-2004 12:05 AM

Thank you Elspode. You're on fire and very creative. And thank you too slang.

So far, for my cart the best are Grabadog and Horn Dogs.

The Weenie Woundup/Weenie Wodeo names are very cute. They'd be good for a kiddie cart for birthday parties and stuff. I know a lady buying a cart in San Diego who is interested in doing corporate functions and kids birthday parties. Maybe she'll go for one of those.

Radar 11-17-2004 12:25 AM

What do you think of a cartoon of a dog eating a hot dog with the name "Dog eat Dog"?

Dagney 11-17-2004 12:58 AM

I like the Dog eat Dog idea....especially if you're in a business district.

There's a place in Elizabethtown PA, called Tube Steak Jakes....I can never drive past without at least a giggle.

I'd be a bit leery about the Horn Dog idea if you're hoping to be near a little league field. The kids themselves may not get the double entendre, but their parents will, and those soccer moms are a bit of a different breed. (apologies to any and all soccer moms who read this).

slang 11-17-2004 07:44 AM

Quote:

And thank you too slang.

You're welcome.

This is an interesting business idea for a net eng. Something I would not have expected from you but sounds like it could be very profitable.

xoxoxoBruce 11-17-2004 05:33 PM

Horn Dogs :yum:

Radar 11-17-2004 07:25 PM

The Dog House!

richlevy 11-17-2004 07:26 PM

Pup-ate theatre? :smack:
Pup Tent?
Disco Dogs.
Weiner Wonderland.
Doggie Heaven.
Delicious Dogs.
Doggie Deli.
Doggie Diner.
Pup goes the Weasel.
Pup-a-teer - you could go with a puppeteer or 3 Muskateers logo.
Doggie Dive.

Troubleshooter 11-17-2004 08:56 PM

You could open one at a golf course called "Radar's Links."

404Error 11-17-2004 09:05 PM

Huckleberry (Hound) Hot Dawg Cafe.
Augie's Doggies.
Daddy's Doggies.

These could used with caicatures of the cartoon dogs.

Undertoad 11-17-2004 09:33 PM

I was just thinking about the number of times the NAME has influenced me to buy a hot dog from a cart.

(zero)

slang 11-17-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
I was just thinking about the number of times the NAME has influenced me to buy a hot dog from a cart.(zero)

Good point.

Radar, you need to have a DOG playing a trumpet on a hat or something. Seeing the dog play the trumpet will draw people closer.....to see what the fuck that is on your head.....and then you will influence people to buy the hotdogs.

I know, *that's* good slang.

Troubleshooter 11-17-2004 09:57 PM

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/c19b6/2/e65/

Lucky Dogs is a fixture in New Orleans that you might be able to get some ideas or help from. A lot of history there as well.

garnet 11-17-2004 10:13 PM

I can't believe no one has commented on Elspode's "Weenie Wodeo." That's genius.... pure genius! :thumbsup:

Elspode 11-17-2004 11:13 PM

I appreciate that, Garnet. I especially appreciate it coming from you, for whom hot dogs must pretty much be the Antichrist of *all* meat-based food products. Really. :thumbsup:

Radar 11-17-2004 11:21 PM

I liked Weenie Wodeo too, but it's more for kids birthday parties.

wolf 11-17-2004 11:59 PM

Dog Pound. Or Dawg Pound.

Names that play off of trademarked characters will get you into trouble eventually.

Thus, I do not actually offer the name "Snoop's Dog-E-Dogs."

You also might want to think about specialty toppings. If there is something distinctive that you can bring to the 'table,' you might have naming rights there too.

xoxoxoBruce 11-18-2004 12:18 AM

Deli Dogs.....upscale
Good Dogs.....folksy
Sit, Stay, Eat :)

wolf 11-18-2004 12:56 AM

Sit, Stay, Eat. is the tagline of a local restaurant (in Lansdale) called the Blue Dog Pub.

I think there is a second store up in New Britain, PA.

Awesome food, and massive beer selection.

Roosta 11-18-2004 03:57 AM

How about "The Dog Pound". Picture of a beagle in sunglasses leaning against a wire mesh fence pound full of weiners...

Radar 11-18-2004 07:54 AM

Actually it could be the Dog 1/4 Pound becasue we'd have quarter pound dogs. Or call it the Dog Pound because it makes you want to eat a pound of dogs. ;) That would stand up in any court.

It sounds better than Junk Yard Dogs

breakingnews 11-18-2004 08:21 AM

I know I'm probably way behind here, but this just popped in my head: "Dog in a dash"

Here in NYC the reigning hot dog king is Gray's Papaya, which sells two of the best damn dogs you'll ever eat plus a drink (mmm ... papaya juice) for $2.45. I'm not sure what the history of Gray's name's is - my friend who writes for the NY Times is pitching a story to the Metro editor about hot dog wars in the city, which has seen a sprouting of Gray's knock-offs like Papaya King and Chelsea Papaya. Brooklyn apparently has some new take on the concept, but I have yet to try it.

The secret? TOPPINGS. I LOVED WaWa underdogs back in the day when they were 89 cents a pop and you could get ANYTHING on them. Three chili, cheese and onion dogs plus a magnum (44 oz) soda always hit the spot. And then some.

Radar 11-18-2004 08:34 AM

Damn, you're making me hungry. What's so special about Gray's Papaya dogs? Special topings? Perhaps they marinate the dogs in Papaya juice?

In L.A. we've got a place called Tommy's Burgers that make really good burgers and fries with chili and stuff and there have been a ton of knock-off places like Tammy's, Tummies, Tomy's, Tommi's, and Toms.

Those are some really cheap prices considering they're in NY. I can get $2.50 for a regular dog in L.A., $3 for a jumbo dog, and $3.50 for a Spicy Polish dog. I'll probably make some combos though. Maybe 2 small dogs and a soda or a jumbo or spicy dog, chips, and a drink for $5

I'm very interested in how they chose that name. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with dogs.

I guess I could go with Liberty Dogs and print the world's smallest political quiz on the napkins, or have different kinds of toppings on dogs like a declaration dog, or a constitution dog, etc...

The carts in NY are much smaller than the cart I'd be using. I think in NY you can actually push the carts, and mine would be pulled behind a car.

Here's the cart I'm interested in...

http://www.qualitystreetcarts.com/calaboveleft.JPG

http://www.qualitystreetcarts.com/calcool.JPG

http://www.qualitystreetcarts.com/calcustside.JPG

http://www.qualitystreetcarts.com/cal2sink.JPG

breakingnews 11-18-2004 08:43 AM

Goddamn that looks fancy. There are larger carts around the city - they have to get towed by cars as well. But I have seen a commissary where the carts are stored - and that made me never want to eat anything off one of those carts ever again. Until I got piss drunk and ate two shish kebabs at 2 am.

It's hard to describe a Gray's hot dog - a butcher shop here in NYC makes them specially for the store (there are three or four locations around the city). As my friend says, they "snap." Really juicy, thinner style dog. I reckon they sell about 6 hot dogs every minute, and I have never not waited in line for at least 5 minutes. I personally am a huge fan of their stewed onions - sauteed and then simmered in a bit of tomato juice and vinegar. Also have sauerkraut available for those who desire.

But their juices - that might be the big kicker. Great selection at dirt cheap prices. They're talking about a price increase to help cover rent hikes - the "Recession Special" will soon be a whoppin' $2.75.

Radar 11-18-2004 08:56 AM

Do they grill, steam, or boil their dogs? And the thought of having my own dogs made by the meat shops around here. There's a ton of Mexican butcher shops. I was going to just use Hebrew Nationals which are very good dogs, and everyone other than vegetarians can eat them. I was considering keeping a veggie dog because LA has a lot of vegetarians, but really that's sacrilege for hot dog purists. I was also considering doing a beer steamed coney island dog.

Most of the carts in LA are illegal ones and aren't very clean. In downtown, they've rigged up golf carts to make hot dog carts you can drive around. Usually the Mexican carts have a grill and they grill onions, and wrap the dogs in bacon when they cook them. I'm not sure what the health rules are with carrying raw pork around on a cart. My guess is it's not legal. But those dogs are really good and you smell the bacon a block away.

They usually set up these carts outside of clubs so when people are leaving and are hungry from dancing and stuff, they grab a dog.

Undertoad 11-18-2004 09:20 AM

Do they have a kind of predatory system of cart owners "owning" various locations? Is violence involved? (I've heard it is in other places)

breakingnews 11-18-2004 09:57 AM

NYC is notorious for the nightclub carts. I've dumped plenty of money on those things late at night.

Gray's is also open 24/7, which surprisingly is a huge thing here in the city. It reaffirms my belief that a Waffle House will do very well here (I plan to look into opening one when I have more time to research).

They grill their dogs, but on a flat-top griddle. Literally line 'em up 100 at a time, let it char on one side, then flip and char the other. So effin' good. I've eaten 8 in a single sitting before.

The other popular thing here is "street meat" - like gyros and grilled chicken shish kebab platters and the like. Those carts line every street for 5 blocks near Rockefeller Center, and there are some damn good carts in east Midtown as well. $4 for a huge thing of grill lamb on rice with veggies is a fab lunchtime deal.

Beestie 11-18-2004 10:35 AM

In the random idea department, I'd submit that hot dog cart to MTV's Pimp My Ride just to see if you get lucky! :)

Ohhhh if I had more time I'd be doing some major photoshopping.

Consider doing something funky with the cart - here's some random images:

add a canopy (good on a rainy day) - maybe like a beach cabana
paint firestreaks on it like you would a 67 mustang (muscle car)
add a some funky wheels to it
add some really cool-looking mufflers/exhaust pipes on the bottom sticking out the side
go with a circus theme (circus tent/bright circus colors)
go with a ballpark theme - add penants and team logos

you get the picture - do something wild.

Hollywood Dogs
Dogs on the Run
Moon Dogs
Dog Weiners (ok, skip this one :)
Reservoir Dogs
Circus Dogs
Grand Slam Dogs
BoonDoggle
Dogs 101 (only need 5 ingredients for over 100 combinations)

just something catchy....

Good luck!

And remember - location, location, location.

warch 11-18-2004 11:09 AM

I have to chime in to praise the Chicago dog- Gold Coast dogs is the place/chain- the char dog is the order.
Vienna beef frank, char grilled, with all the classic Chicago trimmings- mustard, tomato, dill pickle, sport pepper, funky florescent green relish, dash of celery salt. On a soft , but not too soft bun. Perfect. Addictive.

So if you are thinking dog styles- you may be able to set a nitch and get some loyal fans by going Vienna/Chicago style. We have 3 places here that offer Chicago and they use it as a marketing point. Mount that Vienna beef sign on the outside. Its like a magnet.

In Saint paul there is a legendary classic hot dog cart. George's hot dogs. He has one of those characture sketches of him and his family on the front with giant heads and tiny bodies. Again simple, and its the face of George that sells the food as much as anything. Its George that is the marketing. Hes the cook.. Hes a smiling round man who, sells two combos- regular dog, bag o chips and a can o pop ($2ish) or you can upgrade to Polish sausage (that has the popping skin and good greasy delight, chips and pop ($2.75 I think). he offers mustard, ketchup relish, and kraut (and he puts them on). Also a few candy extras (.75) and apples. he makes change in his apron. George sets up in the same corner of a downtown park and gets the seasonal lunch crowd and orchestra, concerts and the (sniff...withdrawl....) hockey games. He always has a lunch line, and it moves fast enough, he doesnt try to offer too much. He vacations most of the deep winter and reappears as a sign of spring! He is to Rice Park what Wally the Beerman is to Twins games. You could shoot for classic.

How about Paul's Dogs? Or I like "Good Dog" . Simple, easy, if you are not linking yourself with a local, that is straight and suggestive of yumminess. I can see the logo of a well behaved mutt sitting at attention.

breakingnews 11-18-2004 11:39 AM

Oh yeah, CANNOT forget spicy sausage. Those are the best on a cold day. Of course LA doesn't have too many of those, but you know. Just there for those who desire.

Radar 11-18-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Hollywood Dogs
Dogs on the Run
Moon Dogs
Dog Weiners (ok, skip this one
Reservoir Dogs
Circus Dogs
Grand Slam Dogs
BoonDoggle
Dogs 101 (only need 5 ingredients for over 100 combinations)
Wow!!

Reservoir Dogs is brilliant!!!

Also Moon Dogs, and Hollywood Dogs.

Great stuff!!!

The Chicago Dog sounds good, although rather than use Vienna Beef dogs, I was thinking of going with Kosher Hebrew Nationals. They taste just as good and everyone can eat them.

I had heard the biggest hot dog chain in Chicago was "Woody's"

Quote:

Oh yeah, CANNOT forget spicy sausage. Those are the best on a cold day. Of course LA doesn't have too many of those, but you know. Just there for those who desire.
I was thinking about going with a spicy Polish dog, but my dad says I should grill up Italian Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches.

glatt 11-18-2004 11:56 AM

If you work a hot dog stand, when and where do you go to the bathroom?

Do you lock up the whole thing and walk away, leaving it unattended? Do you wear Depends undergarments? Do you cross your legs and hold it? Pee in a cup when nobody is looking?

This is a serious question.

Radar 11-18-2004 12:01 PM

It never crossed my mind. Good question. I'll have to ask someone running a cart. My guess is they have someone they can trust watch the cart while they take care of business.

Undertoad 11-18-2004 12:01 PM

I think Reservoir Dogs may be the only name that would in fact influence me to buy from that particular stand.

I don't think you should extend it to have different combos called the "Keitel", the "Buscemi" etc. That would take it too far.

Radar 11-18-2004 12:04 PM

What about a Mr. Pink (Ketchup), Mr. Yellow (Mustard), Mr. White (Onions), etc.?

Undertoad 11-18-2004 12:08 PM

That would work!

Happy Monkey 11-18-2004 12:12 PM

Careful. The MPAA can be right bastards about trademarks...

Dagney 11-18-2004 12:13 PM

Seeing that you're in LA...

"Diva Dogs"...the best dressed dogs in the business.

Radar 11-18-2004 12:52 PM

I just sent an email to Quentin Tarantino's publicist and she says she loves the idea and she'll forward my request to him and I should call her next week. :D

Undertoad 11-18-2004 01:04 PM

Kick ass! :thumb:

perth 11-18-2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

I just sent an email to Quentin Tarantino's publicist and she says she loves the idea and she'll forward my request to him and I should call her next week. :D

Okay, that is fucking awesome. I hope this works out for you, Radar. If it does, I may just break my "never ever set foot in California" rule.

Happy Monkey 11-18-2004 01:16 PM

Cool! You could probably get an official logo sign out of the deal.

Radar 11-18-2004 01:43 PM

She just emailed me back and gave me the name and number of his lawyer and said he wants to ask a few questions. I left a message (It's lunch time). Hopefully I can make this happen. It's seriously a very cool name.

Radar 11-18-2004 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Imagine the cart with this on the front, and on the napkins.

Undertoad 11-18-2004 02:21 PM

Except with little hotdogs instead of guys.

Happy Monkey 11-18-2004 02:42 PM

Every once in a while, you could slip an ear into the bun...

Beestie 11-18-2004 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going for the Margritte look.

Ok, so I failed out of artschool :)

Radar 11-18-2004 04:04 PM

I need to figure out how to draw several hotdogs walking...

wolf 11-18-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

It never crossed my mind. Good question. I'll have to ask someone running a cart. My guess is they have someone they can trust watch the cart while they take care of business.

Philly news does stories on this when things get slow, although mostly about our world renowned soft pretzel vendors.

Video of the guy sneaking off to a corner with some handy bushes is frequently a part of these pieces. Some of the guys do try to maintain some basic sanitation, mainly by rinsing their hands in the ice they are using to cool down the sodas, if they are also hawking sodas.

Radar 11-18-2004 08:09 PM

I just got an email from Tarantino's lawyer in response to my request to use the name for my hot dog cart.. It reads as follows:

Quote:

Paul,

I get a lot of requests for Quentin to consent to something, but this is the funniest one I have ever received. I have actually forwarded it to him, but I do not expect to hear back from until he returns to the US in mid Dec. Don't get your hopes up, but you get an A for creativity in my book.

perth 11-18-2004 09:12 PM

Well, I'm rooting for you on this one. The idea is just too goddamned cool. I remember reading a long time back that he was really a dick regarding I think the Bloodhoung Gang's "Scooby Snacks" song. The sampled bits from Pulp Fiction and I guess he wanted exorbitant royalty on it. I think it would kick all kinds of ass, and I really do hope to see something good come of it for you.

Radar 11-18-2004 11:55 PM

I guess if he doesn't go for it, I can use "Liberty Dogs" and my umbrellas can be American flags, and I can print the world's smallest political quiz on napkins. I can have the Declaration Dog, the Constitution Dog, the Freedom Dog, Liberty Dog, etc.

Hey 51% of America will buy anything if you wrap it up in an American flag.

Elspode 11-19-2004 12:00 AM

For the love of (your deity here), don't politicize your business. Politics is bad for business.

That being said, patriotism seems to still be a functional sales ploy. It isn't as strong as it was after 9-11, but it is still doing pretty well, if all those damn magnetic stars and stripes ribbons stuck on people's cars is any indication.