The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Haggis! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22585)

Gravdigr 04-23-2010 03:27 PM

Haggis!

Haggis!

Nirvana 04-23-2010 06:33 PM

:facepalm::lol::lol2:

ZenGum 04-23-2010 07:08 PM

I haggis at that.

Shawnee123 04-23-2010 08:10 PM

I wonder how many Americans know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are? :D

Urbane Guerrilla 04-24-2010 12:15 AM

I wonder if they would be good included in the haggis. Or if they should be of the sheep variety... economical and a' that. :D

"Och, my congratulations, sir -- 'tis the rare ootsider gets tae see the wild haggis romp!"

DanaC 04-24-2010 02:39 AM

From the comments underneath:

Quote:

Whenever I see a survey like this I suspect that they have not figured in sarcasm or just plain joking.

If someone called me up and asked if Haggis was a musical instrument, I'd probably say yes.
They asked 1600 or so people. In Britain. Where people are generally sarcastic pisstakers.

I'm always slightly suspiciious of these types of 'surveys'. I recently saw one that claimed about 70% of Americans believed in The Rapture. That sounds very unlikely to me. I wonder who they surveyed to get that answer. 'Cause I am guessing the answer would be drastically different depending on where in America that question was asked.

DanaC 04-24-2010 03:28 AM

lol

From the Guardian in 2003:

Quote:

The poll of 1,000 US visitors to Scotland found 33% thought haggis was an animal; 23% said they came to Scotland believing they could catch one.
Not just us lot then :P

be-bop 04-25-2010 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a well kept secret here in Scotland about the Haggis being an animal, you weren't fooled by the sheeps offal food thing were you?
here's a photo taken secretly at a hidden haggis sanctuary where the mother haggis has been photographed with her young.
I could get into big trouble posting this but what the hell, the world deserves the truth.

xoxoxoBruce 04-25-2010 10:32 PM

Ah ha, Grandpa was right.:yesnod:

SteveDallas 04-25-2010 11:22 PM

Surely monster had something to do with this.

Happy Monkey 12-12-2010 08:55 AM

Haggis!

Flint 12-12-2010 09:37 PM

From Happy Monkey's link about Haggis-flavored potato chips:

Quote:

"We know that flavors with a Scottish twist are popular because Haggis and Cracked Black Pepper is our best-selling flavor," Kirstin Mackie, managing director of Mackie's, said in a written statement.
This is not as incomprehensible as it seems, if you've never had Haggis. Let me clarify: I'VE never had Haggis, the real deal. I've had vegetarian Haggis, with steel-cut oats in place of the organ meat. My point is that the SEASONINGS are what make a dish.

Case in point: a chili dog with a tofu dog and turkey chili tastes for all intents and purposes, like a chili dog. Why? Because of the chili powder, the purple onions, and the yellow mustard. If you can taste anything other than these, you didn't put enough FLAVOR on your chili dog.

Likewise, vegetarian Haggis has a great flavor of the SEASONINGS of Haggis; and I expect the chips are awesome.

I will do my best to eat some and report back here.

I hope I see them at North Texas Irish Festival, or the Scottish Highland Games, or Cowtown Celtic Festival.

Perry Winkle 12-13-2010 05:26 PM

I love Haggis. The real kind and the veggie kind.